AW promotion: Researchers believe U.S. Montmorency tart cherries may provide a number of cardiovascular benefits due to the intensity of anthocyanins inside these ruby-red fruits
Cardiovascular disease remains one of the largest causes of death in both men and women in the world. Changes in diet and exercise can go a long way in helping to keep your heart healthy.
A good place to start is eating more fruits and vegetables, especially deeply hued produce that’s packed with heart-healthy compounds. Typically, the darker the colour, the better.
A great source of this fruit is U.S. Montmorency tart cherries. Researchers believe U.S. Montmorency tart cherries may provide a number of cardiovascular benefits due to the intensity of anthocyanins inside these ruby-red fruits and studies indicate that U.S. Montmorency tart cherries may help lower levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, reduce inflammation and improve belly fat – all factors that are specifically linked to heart disease risk.
A look at the evidence:
- Provide benefits for conditions associated with metabolic syndrome. Researchers found that U.S. Montmorency tart cherries reduced systolic blood pressure, insulin levels and insulin concentrations in adults with metabolic syndrome.
- Lowers blood pressure and “bad” cholesterol. A University of Delaware study found that American-grown U.S. Montmorency tart cherry juice lowered systolic blood pressure and LDL or “bad” cholesterol in older adults by reducing inflammation and oxidative stress.
- Reduces stroke risk. The University of Michigan Cardio Protection Research Laboratory suggests U.S. Montmorency tart cherries may help reduce the risk of stroke. They found that U.S. Montmorency tart cherries acted similar to prescribed drugs used to help regulate fat and glucose in patients with metabolic syndrome.
What you can do:
- Look for ways to add U.S. Montmorency tart cherries to your heart-healthy eating plan, such as the salmon with cherry chipotle pictured above.
- Start off the day with a glass of U.S. Montmorency tart cherry juice or top your breakfast oats with dried U.S. Montmorency tart cherries and walnuts.
- Add dried U.S. Montmorency tart cherries to your whole-grain dishes, and mix them into your fresh fruit salads.
» Visit choosecherries.co.uk to find out more