Sponsored post: London Marathon Events Ltd seeks a Head of Elite Athletes to join the team
London Marathon Events Ltd organises some of the largest and best elite and mass participation sports events in the UK including the Virgin Money London Marathon, The Vitality Big Half, the Vitality London 10000 and the Vitality Westminster Mile. They are a not-for-profit organisation and their surplus is given to The London Marathon Charitable Trust to improve sports and recreation in the areas where they organise events.
The company values are: Excellence, Integrity, Together, Inspiration and Fun
Head of Elite Athletes
London Marathon Events are looking for a part-time (on average two days a week, but split unevenly across the year) Head of Elite Athletes to join their world class events team. The ideal candidate will have an in depth understanding of the market value of elite athletes, have a good working relationship with the key athletics agents and have excellent communication and organisational skills.
The Head of Elite Athletes is responsible for ensuring that, subject to budget, London Marathon Events has the best possible elite fields at the Virgin Money London Marathon, The Vitality Big Half, the Vitality London 10000 and the Vitality Westminster Mile and that all elite athletes, both able bodied and World Para Athletics categories, receive the best conditions at and around the events to achieve optimal performances.
Initially you will report to David Bedford, who will be retiring in November from his role of recruiting the elite fields.
Your responsibilities will include:
- To engage with athlete managers and national athletics federations (and athletes when appropriate) throughout the year to ensure that all relevant knowledge is available when inviting athletes.
- To negotiate contracts for all agreed athletes using the basic London Marathon contract template.
- To discuss the budget available with the Event Director.
- To direct the Operations Planner and Athletes with Disabilities Lead, ensuring they are delivering on the Elite Athletes work plans.
- To direct the Operations Planner to make all travel arrangements for events, taking account of all agreed athlete and accompanying persons contracted obligations, and to liaise with London Marathon Events’ travel operator to arrange travel.
- To direct the Operations Planner to ensure good liaison with UK Visas & Immigration regarding visas.
- To recruit and lead the event support team to ensure a high standard for meet and greet, elite athlete hotel accommodation, athlete lounges, medical and physiotherapy support, per diems, UK Anti-Doping requirements and race uniforms, and ensure that IAAF and World Para Athletics regulations are adhered to.
- To liaise with the London Marathon Events communications team to arrange press conferences and other media and Expo requirements.
- To plan for and conduct the Technical Meeting held the day before the event.
- To manage the elite race day team.
- To liaise with BBC TV re athlete line ups and race day interviews.
- To ensure that all invited athletes and personnel are present at Welcome Reception and Post Race Presentations.
- To arrange athlete payment grids and forward to Finance Department.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Competent IT skills with extensive knowledge of Excel.
- Budget management.
- Ability to build strong relationships.
- At least three years’ experience in a similar role.
- Strong and up to date knowledge on athlete values across all road distances up to a marathon.
- Excellent knowledge of current and future road running stars across all distances up to a marathon.
Interested applicants should please apply with a CV and covering letter explaining your suitability for the role via the following link: https://londonmarathoneventsltd.peoplehr.net/Pages/JobBoard/Opening.aspx?v=27d00a69- a349-4428-a32f-24d3ccd77e00
The closing date for applications is Sunday, 27 May 2018.