This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gavin 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Lisa
    Participant

So it looks as if the IAAF is finally going to be able to do something about hyperandrogenic athletes, as of next season. Not quite clear what, but my guess would be a reversion to the requirement for such athletes to take some kind of testosterone suppressant to bring them down to normal XX levels.

Does this mean anyone who might be thus affected might feel like running some really fast times this summer while they still can?

Gavin
    Participant
    So it looks as if the IAAF is finally going to be able to do something about hyperandrogenic
    athletes, as of next season. Not quite clear what, but my guess would be a reversion to the requirement for such athletes to take some kind of testosterone suppressant to bring them down to normal XX levels.

I’m not so sure. The last I heard CAS want evidence that increased testosterone accounts for roughly a 10% difference in performance, i.e., the pretty much the whole of the average difference between men’s & women’s performances. Clearly that’s ridiculous – after the Berlin Wall came down a Soviet (or GDR?) coach said that the industrial levels of testosterone they pumped into their women would result typically in a 5 second improvement at 800 (i.e., about 4%).

There was that study on hyperandrogenism about a year ago but the numbers it came up with were between about 1.5% and 4.8%, depending on event. Seb Coe spoke about going through a study with the council yesterday so I wonder if there’s a new study with higher numbers?

However, he did sound quite confident that there would be changes made to the rules to take effect on 1st November this year. It almost sounded like a promise that the rules would be changed so maybe they’ve been able to work out a compromise with CAS?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.