This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Lee 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

james
    Participant

It will soon go very quiet on this forum, and I do miss our exchanges, so maybe a few in the series of ‘What to do about…’

Imani Lansiquot has progressed very well this year and the AW interview shows she is an articulate, mature young woman with a clear objective… All good stuff

How they train – Imani-Lara Lansiquot

but what do forum users think about the fact, that according to Power of 10 stats, she hasn’t run a 200 since 2014?! It does strike me as very unusual given she is a sprinter with what seems a very good last third in the 100 …

caveat –
    (I know we are all very different in terms of expertise and I am nothing more than an armchair athlete but discussion is welcome)

Jeremy
    Participant

Carterhatch – I don’t think we have been in this position for a very long time, if ever, to have real competition for the relay 4 positions (men and women). I do think that Neita is not done yet and will push through.

Caspar
    Participant
    Carterhatch – I don’t think we have been in this position for a very long time, if ever, to have real competition for the relay 4 positions (men and women). I do think that Neita is not done yet and will push through.

You can make an argument that there are 2 options on each leg of pretty much equal quality apart from anchor, where Dina is clearly indispensable:

Leg 1: Philip/Awuah (I know she is just onto the scene and let’s not be too quick to anoint, but 11.16 as a Junior is very very fast indeed).
    Leg 2: Lansiquot/Henry
    Leg 3: B Williams/Hylton
    Leg 4: DAS/Neita

Of those, if all goes well by next year there could be a team of Awuah-Lansiquot-Henry-DAS running 41.5 or so, with Philip, Williams and Neita as backup!

Trevor
    Participant
    You can make an argument that there are 2 options on each leg of pretty much equal class apart from anchor, where Dina is clearly indispensable.

Have to disagree with you here. DAS could run any leg but clearly adds most value on 3rd.

RunUnlimited
    Participant

You can make an argument that there are 2 options on each leg of pretty much equal class apart from anchor, where Dina is clearly indispensable.

Have to disagree with you here. DAS could run any leg but clearly adds most value on 3rd.

That’s the beauty of having the choices that the women’s relay squad has at the moment though. DAS this season has been nothing short of sensational. She is liable to finish this year with the joint fastest time in the world at 100m and the outright fastest time over 200m. She is adept at being placed on the anchor leg since she has the explosive foot speed to either extend a lead or catch up a deficit of a couple of meters (though that will be a lot harder to do at the World or Olympic level). But as she showed in the 200m final in Berlin, her bend running was phenomenal too, so she could be easily drafted into the 3rd leg role and be incredibly effective there.

And look at what we can potentially look forward to in the next couple of seasons. Say that next season for instance, GB are fortunate enough to have a fully fit and firing again Henry (AND Neita!) to call upon? Two runners with pbs under 11.10 and who *could* (perhaps *should*) be aiming to join Dina in the sub 11 second club in the next two or three years. Those two could be great anchor leg runners in their own right!

Could the 4 x 100m women not just break the British record, but be heading towards the 41.5’s or lower? Because that’s the potential we’re talking about with them at the moment.

james
    Participant

@mysterybrick

Shannon Hylton is an interesting idea for the third leg – she did PB in both 100 and 200 this season and this gets completely over looked. I suspect 200 is where her best opportunities will come and hope her progress continues. There was a period, a decade all told, not so long ago, where her 22.78 would have made her the leading Brit by some margin.

I agree also that is far too early to ‘anoint’ young Awuah but her emergence at a time when British female sprinting has never felt so positive, can only aid her transition from junior. The relay ‘squad’ seems a great place for gaining confidence, and learning from others, and with the spotlight firmly on DASHER others can develop without the intense pressure of being the next sprint hope… I sense this is helping Lansiquot, will nurture Neita to the next level, and hopefully see Henry come back stronger.

We haven’t even mentioned Agyapong – who hasn’t quite hit the level I had predicted, though I do see her as a 200/400 runner. and I still think Lorriane Ugen would benefit from a continued involvement in the relays, confidence wise…

alors…

jjimbojames
    Participant

I think Henry is best on second – 22.4 200m speed endurance and looks more relaxed there. DAS will beat anyone on the curve, given her size and turnover.

Asha will take some shifting off first – her acceleration round a bend and her experience means she’s a very safe pair of hands – same with Ujah for the men. Can only really say the same for Gemili

Jeremy
    Participant

There is also Beth Dobbin perhaps if she continues her progress. Maybe a stretch too far, but I wonder what KJT would turn in on the 100 these days. Quite a change in depth from a just a few years ago – a purple patch.

james
    Participant

pulling together several thoughts…

Next year is a strange one as the World’s are back end of September …

what about a bit of warm weather training in May, somewhere in the Caribbean but with the intent to perform at the IAAF World Relays in the Bahamas 10/11th May, (I hope I’m correct with the venue and dates) entering a 4×200 aiming to beat the current UK record of 1:29.61 (achieved at the 2014 World Relays with a lineup of Desiree Henry, Anyika Onuora, Bianca Williams Asha Philip – they must have been young!)

This time, Beth Dobbins, Shannon Hylton, bianca Williams, DASHER ?

with a 4×100 of Asha Philip, Lansiquot, Awuah, Neita

and finally a 4 x 400 Nielsen twins and the Williams sisters – just for the fun of it…

Caspar
    Participant
    There is also Beth Dobbin perhaps if she continues her progress. Maybe a stretch too far, but I wonder what KJT would turn in on the 100 these days. Quite a change in depth from a just a few years ago – a purple patch.

Dobbin will almost definitely be in the 4×400 as she is moving up to 400 (where I think she will have a lot of success…)

Lorraine
    Participant

The World Relays won’t be in Bahamas next year as they have pulled out of hosting it. Not sure when we are due an announcement on the replacement venue/dates.

Also British Athletics have never shown much inclination of fielding teams for the non Championship relays at this meet so I wouldn’t hold your breath with regards to a 4×200

Lee
    Participant

Is there any reason why Neita doesn’t run the 200?

james
    Participant

@Taff

I don’t know the answer, but I asked the same about Ms. Lansiquot, up-thread, and justrunfast suggested the following and it might apply…

She’s been hurt quite a lot, running a good 200 is very difficult if you have issues staying healthy. She’s had two good healthy years in a row so She will probably run some next year.

it does seem rather curious to me that both of them haven’t even run one at a club level event – if I were either of them, I’d be very curious to see what I could do, and lower a rather dated PB..

Andy
    Participant

Agreed. Whilst there is maybe something to be said for the confidence of being “top dog” and putting that athlete on the pressure leg, my preference is always to have the fastest athletes on legs 2 and 3, where they will potentially be running for 130m rather than 110 on leg 1 or 120 for last. Ultimately its how fast the baton is moving, not how fast the individual runners are that determines who wins.

Lee
    Participant

Id absolutely run Dina on 3 again. Daryl was excellent on 4 last year and I think she will be again next season.

DAS on 3 is the best bend runner in the world at the moment. Ant meters she can gain us will be so valuable. They could really challenge for the BIG G in Doha. Their confidence is there now. They have had 3 years of success. They are no longer maybe going to get a bronze they can definitely challenge for the top two places.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.