This topic contains 117 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Richard 6 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author

O’R
    Participant

… 3.57 and bits I believe in the longer distance; LM ran one time faster than that in Diamond League

Laura has run faster than Kelly’s old GB record on 3 occasions.

Laura has gone sub-4 four times with a further 6 times sub-4:01. Kelly only went sub-4 twice (though she didn’t race the 1500 as frequently as Laura).

Kelly’s NR was set in Athens. She was damned close to another, and still <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>faster</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> than any other Brit, in the 800 too.

In the 1500 there were 6 under 4 min, in the 800 5 under 1.57. Those were stacked fields. It wasn’t just that she won, she produced her absolute best – against both opposition and the clock – when it mattered.

Hey, I’m sitting firmly on the fence as to whether Laura would have won that 2004 Olympic final. :-)

I was merely responding to Philipo who accused Andy Young of “factual gob” but then proceeded to be somewhat loose with facts himself.

Indeed, Philipo’s post was a little too close to factual gob. I almost slapped my pc when his post slightly implied Laura ran faster than KH once. I however believe he knows better than that.

SteveK26
    Participant

Soviet

I for one have never been rude to you, indeed I’ve defended you on a couple of occasions on this very thread.
    I’ve made no comment about you that I feel uncomfortable with.

I’ve never argued about Akabusi’s overall contribution to relays, and I’ve never studied his stats compared to anyone else. I’ve only commented about the Tokyo relay.

I have no idea why you feel it necessary to take a ‘holiday break” from the forum. Philipo can be irascible at times, but you must be used to that by now. I enjoy debating with you, we normally agree just not on this occasion.

I hope you will be in good form for the Commonwealths, and I always enjoy your contributions. (The thought of being alone on this forum with Darkside is an interesting one!)

Steve

SteveK26
    Participant

A nice article here about Laura Muir….(from the BBC website)….

Double World Indoors medallist Laura Muir would have multiple global titles by now were she not up against some of the best runners of all time, says the 24-year-old Scot’s coach Andy Young.

Muir won 1500m silver and 3,000m bronze in Birmingham, her first global medals.

Young compares her to tennis star Andy Murray, who has suffered from playing in an era of such fierce opposition.

“I think in another time or generation, Laura would have cleaned up all sorts of global titles by now,” Young said.

“But it just so happens that this group of distance runners around her are just so, so good that she’s been in the fight and these are the first two global medals she’s picked up.

“The comparison I like to make is the Andy Murray one. Ten years ago, he would’ve won half a dozen Grand Slams in his first four or five years, but he was in with Rafa Nadal, Roger Federer – and that’s the same sort of situation she’s in.

European Indoor Athletics: Laura Muir storms to 3,000m gold
    Young told BBC Scotland’s Sportsound: “The real surprise is she’s almost come from a club runner in 2011-12 to [having been] one of the favourites at the 2016 Rio Olympics and she’s running times two or three seconds faster than Dame Kelly Holmes ever ran when she was winning Olympic finals in Athens.

“What you can’t account for is at the moment you’ve got some of the best distance runners of all-time in her event – that’s the big thing you can’t necessarily directly influence.”

And Young says he has not ruled out Muir adding more events to her repertoire.

“I think she’s got the scope to go on to 10,000m to the marathon,” he said. “The sessions we do in training are large-volume sessions and I think already in a matter of weeks she could go out and be challenging for the British record over 10k if that’s what she wanted.

“But I made her the promise, as long as she kept getting faster over the shorter distances, she can stay down there. Her preference is to do the 800m and 1500m.”

Very interesting that she has a preference for 800/1500.

The point about the quality of opposition was raised on this board in relation to the comparison with Kelly Holmes. If she does start to do 800/1500 doubles then the comparison to KH will become a little bit easier.
    I wonder if the hyperandrogenism issue (maybe) getting resolved might have a bearing on her choice of events going forward?
    The next question is how fast could she run over 800?

dave
    Participant

it would be good to see her double in the 800 and the 1500 at the europeans as the schedule doesnt allow for the 1500, 5000 double

james
    Participant

So according to posters who are clearly not able to direct their minds to the question, when comparing KH and LM ( a poster, I think, mentioned the comparison which in itself is silly), LM having run 3 times sub 4 at one race Diamond League events is to be favourably compared to Kelly Holmes… so absurd that it is not even serious stuff.
    Nobody here has taken on board the fact that I mentioned you cannot compare an Olympic Games double Gold for quality with a few sub 4s achieved with rabbits.
    If the posters here really consider that what LM achieved at Birmingham , bronze and silver, is remotely in the same league as a double OG Gold, six races in a week , then it tells me what I have always known about the deep balanced views on AW… :yahoo: :yahoo:
    I remind people who enjoyed my incorrect assertion about LM s number of sub 4s ( lazy of me for sure) that this thread was based on a ridiculous statement that compared KH at Athens with a couple of medals at the World Indoors.
    In her career LM has not raced to a world Gold yet and I do not believe at World and Olympic she will due to her style of competing.At world level whether we like it or not Muir will have faster and stronger East African athletes to compete against and be beaten by, unless some strange metamorphosis takes place in Laura’s racing strategy and pace change.

Time will tell.

dave
    Participant
    So according to posters who are clearly not able to direct their minds to the question, when comparing KH and LM ( a poster, I think, mentioned the comparison which in itself is silly), LM having run 3 times sub 4 at one race Diamond League events is to be favourably compared to Kelly Holmes… so absurd that it is not even serious stuff.
    Nobody here has taken on board the fact that I mentioned you cannot compare an Olympic Games double Gold for quality with a few sub 4s achieved with rabbits.
    If the posters here really consider that what LM achieved at Birmingham , bronze and silver, is remotely in the same league as a double OG Gold, six races in a week , then it tells me what I have always known about the deep balanced views on AW… :yahoo: :yahoo:
    I remind people who enjoyed my incorrect assertion about LM s number of sub 4s ( lazy of me for sure) that this thread was based on a ridiculous statement that compared KH at Athens with a couple of medals at the World Indoors.
    In her career LM has not raced to a world Gold yet and I do not believe at World and Olympic she will due to her style of <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>competing.At</span> world level whether we like it or not Muir will have faster and stronger East African athletes to compete against and be beaten by, unless some strange metamorphosis takes place in Laura’s racing strategy and pace change.

Time will tell.

neither had holmes at the point in her cereer that muir is at, it would take her another 9 years to get 2 golds B-) muirs already ran better times at the 1000, 1500, mile, 3000 than holmes, the best female and male athletes the uk have ever produced (farah and ohurugu) have just retired and muir is one of the people who will step up

SteveK26
    Participant

I’m not quite sure why the posting of a BBC article about Laura Muir would spark a diatribe from Philipo ? !!!

The article was written by her coach (Andy Young) not a poster.

I have no intention of engaging you in debate about the two, Philipo, (at least not at the moment),
    but I thought you and others might be interested in her seeming preference for the 800/1500 route.

What time do you think she might be capable of running over 800 ? Sub 1-58 is obviously possible, but maybe a sub 1-57?

Richard
    Participant
    Soviet

I for one have never been rude to you, indeed I’ve defended you on a couple of occasions on this very thread.
    I’ve made no comment about you that I feel uncomfortable with.

I’ve never argued about Akabusi’s overall contribution to relays, and I’ve never studied his stats compared to anyone else. I’ve only commented about the Tokyo relay.

I have no idea why you feel it necessary to take a ‘holiday break” from the forum. Philipo can be irascible at times, but you must be used to that by now. I enjoy debating with you, we normally agree just not on this occasion.

I hope you will be in good form for the Commonwealths, and I always enjoy your contributions. (The thought of being alone on this forum with Darkside is an interesting one!)

Steve

Don’t worry Steve, I won’t abandon you to that fate!

Soviet, you’re one of the good guys, come back soon.

Never ceases to amaze me how worked up people get about relays though. It’s not as if you’re talking about anything interesting like the javelin angle of release into a headwind.

SteveK26
    Participant

LOL

…on a serious note, though, a forum will inevitably spark up some heated debates. Of course there is no need to get personal (or worse) but some can’t help it. Like you, Ursus, I consider Soviet to be a level-headed interesting poster so I hope he is back soon.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  SteveK26.

SteveK26
    Participant

Just on football, as a diversion….

Southgate is suddenly full of soundbites.

Apparently he sees NO security issues, sees NO racist problems that might be worse than in the UK, and would certainly go if he were a fan. Oh, and he doesn’t care what the Foreign Secretary (good old Boris) says.
    He was there for the Confederation Cup last year and felt ‘incredibly comfortable’ there.

Is he on the ball? Is he factoring in the current row between UK and Russia, and does he have a handle on the animosity between English and Russian fans? If it all kicks off, does he have faith that the Russian police will protect English fans?

I think he is way off the mark, and even if I were a big fan, Russia would be the last place you would be likely to find me in June!

SlowMo
    Participant

Southgate is an thoughtful man. He is just choosing to look on the bright side. The line of least resistance.
    Journalists keep asking him questions, what’s he supposed to do?
    He could do a Mourinho, pick a fight, give a lecture, question the journalists grasp on reality.
    The last thing Southgate can afford to do is dwell on the negatives, he’s got a team to manage.

SteveK26
    Participant
    Southgate is an thoughtful man. He is just choosing to look on the bright side. The line of least resistance.
    Journalists keep asking him questions, what’s he supposed to do?
    He could do a Mourinho, pick a fight, give a lecture, question the journalists grasp on reality.
    The last thing Southgate can afford to do is dwell on the negatives, he’s got a team to manage.

Or he could say he recognises that there may be difficulties but on balance reckons its worth going.

SlowMo
    Participant

What he doesn’t need is to start debating the ins and outs with the British press.

SteveK26
    Participant

Over 100 English fans arrested before, during and after the “friendly” game against the Dutch.

No matter what sound bites come out of Southgate’s mouth, the World Cup is a disaster in waiting for travelling English fans.

I say to Laps again, its the last place on Earth (almost) that you would find me in June.

SlowMo
    Participant

Like I said Southgate can’t afford to dwell on the negatives or debate them with the British press. It seemed to me that he gave the correct response to questions. Basically, leave me out of the politics.

However I agree 100% with your conclusion that Russia in June following the England team is strictly for those with a low regard to their personal safety and dignity. Good luck to the well behaved ones.

SteveK26
    Participant
    Like I said Southgate can’t afford to dwell on the negatives or debate them with the British press. It seemed to me that he gave the correct response to questions. Basically, leave me out of the politics.

However I agree 100% with your conclusion that Russia in June following the England team is strictly for those with a low regard to their personal safety and dignity. Good luck to the well behaved ones.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have latched onto Southgate’s comments and spun them to suit an argument.
    Lets hope that there is no trouble and that all genuine fans have a good holiday.

However I’m not expecting England to get beyond the group stage, and if that proves to be correct I hope there won’t be too many English fans with time on their hands in Russia……

SteveK26
    Participant

The pity of all this is that decent fans will probably the ones that choose not to go.

I certainly would not take my son or daughters to Russia under any circumstances, no matter what Gareth Southgate is saying. It just wouldn’t happen. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that the World Cup is a giant tinder box for English fans, good or bad.

Richard
    Participant

Any public utterances are as G Southgate England manager, not as G Southgate, private citizen.

He’ll be spouting the party line which is what the public face of any organisation does. That’s all you’ll from him unless / until the FA decides otherwise and presumably they’ll be acting under Foreign Office advice.

Like Steve, I wouldn’t be going near the place.

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.