This topic contains 112 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  james 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Author

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

Please don’t make promises that you would hate to have to keep!!

I agree that the evidence indicates that Jodie won’t below 51.00 seconds. But this forum needs to have intelligent posters who can provoke and stimulate debate. So don’t go missing for 18 months! Because the 22.77 she ran in the States (very recently) is an indicator that she has the speed to run a quick 400 if she has been doing endurance conditioning as well.

Caspar
    Participant

I have reservations about Gemini doubling up, he’s been hampered by problems in 2 of the last 3 seasons, so taking on an extra event whilst doing the 200 and relay increases the chances of it happening again. It’s not something he was previously interested in, it’s only since he moved to Reider he contemplated it. I think he’d struggle to make the top 3 at the British champs with Edoburun, Prescod and Ujah all better on paper. Lets see what NMB can do this year without the burden of NCAAs, he’s just about the favourite to break the British record ATM

There appears on this site a constant reference to our great sprinters to the extent that NMB is suggested as the fave to break Linford’s record. If there is any certainty in this athletics world, for me there is no British sprinter who will get within half a second of 9.86 this year or next year.

Zharnel Hughes says hi, Philipo.

Justrunfast
    Participant

This constant obsession with people moving up an event is hilarious, as if the events they are moving to will improve their chances on a global stage.

Why do you lot want people to run 400m so much??????

If anything that is the event which will be of the highest quality in Tokyo. 50.5 won’t make the final

james
    Participant

I have reservations about Gemini doubling up, he’s been hampered by problems in 2 of the last 3 seasons, so taking on an extra event whilst doing the 200 and relay increases the chances of it happening again. It’s not something he was previously interested in, it’s only since he moved to Reider he contemplated it. I think he’d struggle to make the top 3 at the British champs with Edoburun, Prescod and Ujah all better on paper. Lets see what NMB can do this year without the burden of NCAAs, he’s just about the favourite to break the British record ATM

There appears on this site a constant reference to our great sprinters to the extent that NMB is suggested as the fave to break Linford’s record. If there is any certainty in this athletics world, for me there is no British sprinter who will get within half a second of 9.86 this year or next year.

Who you are and who you conveniently may represent are not the same, as lots of East Africans will tell you.
    Hughes represents both GB and Anguilla as he has said openly. He aint British and would represent Anguilla, like Proctor,if the IOC had allowed this BOT to compete at the Olympics, in my view.
    Do not blame the Jamaican trained athlete for having an eye to the main chance… perfectly reasonable in the special circumstances, after having repped Anguilla for 5 years , 2010 to 2014 inc World Juniors.
    Hope we can have a Brit trained , brit living athlete come through…could be RP, maybe.

james
    Participant

Who you are and who you conveniently may represent are not the same, as lots of East Africans will tell you.
    Hughes represents both GB and Anguilla as he has said openly. He aint British and would represent Anguilla, like Proctor,if the IOC had allowed this BOT to compete at the Olympics, in my view.
    Do not blame the Jamaican trained athlete for having an eye to the main chance… perfectly reasonable in the special circumstances, after having repped Anguilla for 5 years , 2010 to 2014 inc World Juniors.
    Hope we can have a Brit trained , brit living athlete come through…could be RP, maybe.

Just an observation, John Blackie currently has the European Senior 200m Champion (Dina Asher-Smith) and the European Junior 200m Champion (Maya Bruney) in his training group.

I am looking forward to see Dina and Maya this year..and why hasn’t Mr Blackie received an OBE as yet B-)

Even better – he also had the 2015 Silver Medalist (Shannon Hylton!) A John Blackie ‘found’ 4x100m (S Hylton, Asher-Smith, Bruney, C Hylton) could probably qualify for the European Championships final!

This year, I think MHS has an even chance of breaking the European 400m record.
    Dina will break 22.00 if she is in a fast race on a nice day in June/July.

The European record was not broken by Black,Thomas and several far better 400m British runners than Hudson Smith.

dave
    Participant

Just an observation, John Blackie currently has the European Senior 200m Champion (Dina Asher-Smith) and the European Junior 200m Champion (Maya Bruney) in his training group.

I am looking forward to see Dina and Maya this year..and why hasn’t Mr Blackie received an OBE as yet B-)

Even better – he also had the 2015 Silver Medalist (Shannon Hylton!) A John Blackie ‘found’ 4x100m (S Hylton, Asher-Smith, Bruney, C Hylton) could probably qualify for the European Championships final!

This year, I think MHS has an even chance of breaking the European 400m record.
    Dina will break 22.00 if she is in a fast race on a nice day in June/July.

The European record was not broken by Black,Thomas and several far better 400m British runners than Hudson Smith.

far better? theres a 10th of a second in it :scratch:

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  dave.

larkim
    Participant

Life’s too short to be watching and supporting national squad members with your own personal addendum to the
    IAAF rule book on allegiance etc.

Though I suppose you also had that book to one side whilst Farah was winning all his medals?

fangio
    Participant

Anguila is British, Zarnell Hughes is British, just as Craig Bellamy played football for Britain in 2012 and Wales in other competitions, He is British and has been since birth.

Linford Christ was born in 1960, IN JAMAICA, so the person that Phillipo suggests we should judge our sprinters against is in some ways even less British than Hughes, strange double standard there.

james
    Participant

what rubbish!!! from you know who. Linford had a british coach, lived here from a relatively early age. He came here from J at a young age and started his career relatively late.
    The Anguillan,Hughes, is committed to rep this country for the fact that his territory’s lack of IOC recognition would stop him from ever competing in the Olympics.He only repped Anguilla at two World Juniors and did not choose GB till 2015.
    The athlete in question has taken advantage of the overall situation which is his business, but all who say he’s British are talking nonsense, in my view Hughes comes here hardly at all as he lives and trains in Jamaica. linford did not live the same way; everyone knows the facts except juvenile wind up merchants.

Ross
    Participant

Which part of “Anguilla is here” do you not understand?

MikkaF
    Participant

Mid-to-long-range predictions for British top-8 placings at the Euros (it’s early, I know, but I was bored this evening!)

Men:
    100 1. Hughes 3. Prescod 6. Ujah
    200 2. Hughes 3. Gemili 5. Mitchell-Blake
    400 1. Hudson-Smith 6. Yousif
    800 1. Langford 5. Giles
    1500 3. O’Hare 4. Wightman
    10,000 5. Yee
    3000SC 8 Seddon
    110H 3. Pozzi
    400H 7. Green
    PV 8. Hague
    LJ 5. Rutherford
    HT 6. Miller
    DEC 6. Duckworth (he’s planning to go)
    20KW 4. Bosworth
    4×100 1st
    4×400 1st (although I wouldn’t be shocked if Spain win)

Women:
    100 1. Asher-Smith 6. Philip (although either Lansiquot or Neita could make the final; I think at least one of them will go close to 11.10 this year)
    200 2. Asher-Smith 5. J. Williams (if DAS doubles)
    800 3. Oskan-Clarke 6. Bell
    1500 1. Muir 4. Weightman 5. Courtney (but wouldn’t be surprised if Muir runs the 800 instead; should be close with Hassan in the 1500, if she’s fully fit)
    5000 4. McColgan 6. Twell
    10000 6. Arter 8. Taylor
    Marathon 5. Partridge 6. Purdue
    3000SC 7. Clarke
    400H 4. Doyle
    HJ 7. Lake
    PV 5. Bradshaw
    LJ 3. Ugen 6. Proctor
    HT 6. Hitchon
    HEPT 3. Johnson-Thompson
    4×100 2nd
    4×400 2nd

That would be 7G, 4S, 7B.

RunUnlimited
    Participant

This hasn’t been touched in a bit, so I’ll add a new wild and totally silly prediction.

Judging by his post-race comments after winning the men’s 400m at the British Championships, where he mentioned that he was aiming at beating Iwan Thomas’ British record, I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that Matthew Hudson-Smith will either get very close to, or actually break it during the European Championships in Berlin.

Also that he’ll run a 44.5X during the Anniversary Games in a fortnight’s time.

james
    Participant

great news for HS is that Hortelano is not going for the 400m in the Euros.

Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.