This topic contains 112 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  james 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Jamie Luis Ford
    Participant

Sorry to spam,

9.87 will stand for some time to come, I think.

SteveK26
    Participant

Price it up, Philipo !!

But I am not fancying any of them to break Linford’s record. Sprinters as good as Christie are very hard to come by. Plus he was part of a team with Ron Rodden, not in a big training group.

Caspar
    Participant

I charitably thing Philipo meant half a tenth of a second… Even he isn’t shortsighted or daft enough to assert no-one will run 10.3 when we had two athletes ran under 10.1 in their openers a week ago…

9.87 is very fast. I don’t see Ujah running that quick, and think the only two who could are Edoburun or Prescod, as their top speed is that good, and that is only with a perfect start.

SteveK26
    Participant
    I charitably thing Philipo meant half a tenth of a second… Even he isn’t shortsighted or daft enough to assert no-one will run 10.3 when we had two athletes ran under 10.1 in their openers a week ago…

9.87 is very fast. I don’t see Ujah running that quick, and think the only two who could are Edoburun or Prescod, as their top speed is that good, and that is only with a perfect start.

Of course!

We were just pulling Philipo’s leg.

RunUnlimited
    Participant
    SteveK26, your thoughts on Gemili as a 100 runner I do agree with, in regards to over striding. I still think he’s going to go through many technical changes over the next few years. As I say, still very young – especially given his inexperience pre 2012.

Regis’ 200 record HAS to go soon. Our boys haven’t fired at the right time yet.

Gemili has ran 19.98 into a -1.6 headwind.
    Hughes ran 20.02 as a teenager and has been running 20.3’s in first gear this season.
    As soon as NMB relaxes those shoulders it’s a matter of when.

Ran that time not only into a headwind, but at an unseasonably cold and damp Zurich during those European Championships. Given good health and favourable conditions on a fast track? Who knows?

I certainly think that Gemilli has both the physic and sprint stamina to get both of Regis’ records, the 19.94 set at sea level during the 1993 World Championships, and his 19.87A in Sestriere a year later. Given how fast the track is at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, there is a good chance he good get there… Oh, and be going for the gold obviously!

Not that it will be easy though, just getting into the British team for the Euro’s is going to be tough, what with NMB, Hughes, Talbot, Prescod (if he goes with the 200m)…. Heck, even the likes of youngsters coming through like Harries and Somers, and recent transfer Miguel Francis hoping to be fully fit this season… there is going to a crazy amount of competition just to make it onto the plane.
    And we shouldn’t forget the European competitors either, least of all the current world champion, Ramil Guliyev and Christophe Lemaitre, who will be keen to prevent the 200m becoming a potential 1-2-3 for Great Britain.

Richard
    Participant
    SteveK26, your thoughts on Gemili as a 100 runner I do agree with, in regards to over striding. I still think he’s going to go through many technical changes over the next few years. As I say, still very young – especially given his inexperience pre 2012.

Gemili may not have done much as a youngster, but he’s not very young in years or experience. He’ll be 25 later this year and a double Olympian who’s been consistently appearing at DL and champs for 6 years. We should absolutely be expecting him to be hitting his peak now.

I look at some athletes and think that they’ve got much more in them. I don’t see Gemili in that light even though his 19.98 headwind suggests otherwise. Hope I’m wrong as in so many respects he’s a big asset to UK athletics.

james
    Participant
    I was referring to Regis’s 200m record as NMB is predominantly a 200m runner

In the previous line you referred to Edoburun, Ujah so I assumed you meant 100m; I am far from sure that NMB is at the moment a sub 19.90 200m man. Time will tell.

james
    Participant

for me there is no British sprinter who will get within half a second of 9.86 this year or next year.

You wouldn’t want to bet on that? ;-)

oops meant 0.05 silly me.

james
    Participant

Regis’ 200 record HAS to go soon. Our boys haven’t fired at the right time yet.

Gemili has ran 19.98 into a -1.6 headwind.
    Hughes ran 20.02 as a teenager and has been running 20.3’s in first gear this season.
    As soon as NMB relaxes those shoulders it’s a matter of when.

Ran that time not only into a headwind, but at an unseasonably cold and damp Zurich during those European Championships. Given good health and favourable conditions on a fast track? Who knows?

I certainly think that Gemilli has both the physic and sprint stamina to get both of Regis’ records, the 19.94 set at sea level during the 1993 World Championships, and his 19.87A in Sestriere a year later. Given how fast the track is at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, there is a good chance he good get there… Oh, and be going for the gold obviously!

Not that it will be easy though, just getting into the British team for the Euro’s is going to be tough, what with NMB, Hughes, Talbot, Prescod (if he goes with the 200m)…. Heck, even the likes of youngsters coming through like Harries and Somers, and recent transfer Miguel Francis hoping to be fully fit this season… there is going to a crazy amount of competition just to make it onto the plane.
    And we shouldn’t forget the European competitors either, least of all the current world champion, Ramil Guliyev and Christophe Lemaitre, who will be keen to prevent the 200m becoming a potential 1-2-3 for Great Britain.

Absolutely, we would not have to forget Guliyev, World Champion and around a while.

RunUnlimited
    Participant

One of the most intriguing athletes to look out for from these shores (at least in my opinion) is Maya Bruney, the reigning European U-20 200m champion. It was amazing to see her setting those personal bests in every round of the event, all of them into substantial headwinds to boot – in kinder wind conditions she would have surely run a good chunk under 23 seconds.

However, the intriguing part for me is that Bruney also runs the 400m, and I’m wondering which if actually the longer distance will be where Bruney will make her biggest impact. I just watched her heat run in the BUCS champs from earlier today, and the way that she blasted away from the rest of her competitors in the opening half of the race was very impressive. And though she shut it down pretty much from the 300m mark, Bruney maintained her form very well to the finish, clock a 54.57 time easily.

Could she have the type of flat out speed, coupled with good speed endurance, that will make her a future 200m/400m combo runner that can make a mark in the next few years?

Well, let’s see if she can break the 23 second barrier in the 200m, and then get into the 52’s in the 400m this season, because if she can, Bruney will start getting some more attention from athletics fans and experts.

jjimbojames
    Participant

53.10 PB for Bruney to comfortably beat Nielsen (wonder if she’s thinking she made the right coaching move). In a good quality race, I think Bruney would be deep into the 52s. Would love to see her in a quality 4x400m – she ran a high-51 split last year at the Euro Juniors

SteveK26
    Participant

More ‘hope’ than ‘prediction’………

A womens 4×400 line up in Berlin that reads Bruney, Agyepong, Nielson and Bundy-Davies ( not necessarily in that order.

All of them in the 51’s, maybe one of them running a 50 point. It would be good to move this event on, we cant harp back to the likes of CO, Merry, Saunders and Fraser forever.

Levi
    Participant

I was looking forward to Maya Bruney opening up her season :yes:

The clock was definitely on 52 seconds when she crossed the line. I reviewed the film a number of times frame by frame. The clock changes to 53 in a frame when she’s about 1 metre past the finish line. I guess the official time was probably rounded up from the manual time-keepers?

Also good to see Shannon Hylton competing in the first leg of the UEL 4x100m Women’s team.

I was also impressed with Maya’s 4th leg. She had the intelligence to slam on the brakes when the 3rd leg runner slowed up, grabbed the Baton and delivered a very powerful last leg….I feel there’s a big correction to her 100m PB coming this year B-)

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Levi.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Levi.

Gavin
    Participant
    I was looking forward to Maya Bruney opening up her season :yes:

The clock was definitely on 52 seconds when she crossed the line. I reviewed the film a number of times frame by frame. The clock changes to 53 in a frame when she’s about 1 metre past the finish line. I guess the official time was probably rounded up from the manual time-keepers?

I saw the race too and 53.10 probably is the correct Fully Automatic Timing for Maya Bruney. Stadium clocks (and any on-screen clocks linked to the stadium clock – not relevant in this case) always lag by between 0.1 and 0.4 seconds, depending on the stadium/clock. But, these days, I don’t know why that would be? Surely technologically they can make it so the clock starts the absolute instant the gun goes?

james
    Participant

A womens 4×400 line up in Berlin that reads Bruney, Agyepong, Nielson and Bundy-Davies ( not necessarily in that order.

All of them in the 51’s, maybe one of them running a 50 point. It would be good to move this event on, we cant harp back to the likes of CO, Merry, Saunders and Fraser forever.

Steve, where oh where is there any evidence of 51s and maybe some 50s from the 4 u mentioned.??
    Bundy Davies has much to prove for me, and Agyepon as a 50/51 is not convincing.
    Optimism does not beat reality in my book. However, the odd miracle happens , but I am not holding my breath.
    The 4 u mentioned cannot be ever compared to the 4 athletes of a prior time , and the only reason to look backwards is cos we cannot look forwards with confidence right now, as far as 400m is concerned, both men and women.

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

I did say more in ‘hope’ than ‘prediction’.

Bundy-Davies and Nielsen are already in the 51’s.
    Agyepong has made it to the mid 52’s.
    Bruney appeals to me as someone who might continue to progress rapidly.

You are probably right, though.
    A bit of a punt on my behalf.

dave
    Participant

Steve, where oh where is there any evidence of 51s and maybe some 50s from the 4 u mentioned.??
    Bundy Davies has much to prove for me, and Agyepon as a 50/51 is not convincing.
    Optimism does not beat reality in my book. However, the odd miracle happens , but I am not holding my breath.
    The 4 u mentioned cannot be ever compared to the 4 athletes of a prior time , and the only reason to look backwards is cos we cannot look forwards with confidence right now, as far as 400m is concerned, both men and women.

here we go again, comparing 20 -23 year olds to athletes who have completed their whole career :wacko:

i cant imagine those 4 will turn out as well as the 4 mentioned above considering they are 4 of the top 5 all time, but who knows

dave
    Participant
    Philipo

I did say more in ‘hope’ than ‘prediction’.

Bundy-Davies and Nielsen are already in the 51’s.
    Agyepong has made it to the mid 52’s.
    Bruney appeals to me as someone who might continue to progress rapidly.

You are probably right, though.
    A bit of a punt on my behalf.

i really cant see it happening this year at all – diamond and doyle will be the first names on the teamsheet, those 4 and clarke, maybe onura, h williams and psd as well will be fighting for the other spots

Levi
    Participant

Robo2, It will be good to see a proper head-to-head race in the 400m Women’s event with the above names and Bruney at the Loughborough International Games in 2 weeks time B-)

dave
    Participant
    Robo2, It will be good to see a proper head-to-head race in the 400m Women’s event with the above names and Bruney at the Loughborough International Games in 2 weeks time B-)

should be good, although the event has gone backwards with ohurugus retiral. i thnk onura looks almost done as well, been poor this season so far, hopefully the likes of bruney, agypong and nielsen can push on and sbd can get back into form, on the plus side doyle looks on top form so far this season

Justrunfast
    Participant

Nielsen and SBD aren’t quick enough to run 50.x I’d like to be proved wrong but I doubt it…..

I am convinced people on here don’t keep up with UK athletics in general just the main bits.

Nielsen and SBD have seasons bests of 54……..

The athletes who could run 50.x this year? Zoey Clarke, Emily Diamond and I reckon Ama Pipi.

Bruney and Agyapong possibly can in the future but probably not this year just because of how new they are to the event and also running one offs is completely different to doing a heat, semis and final at a major champs.

Jeremy
    Participant

I agree – SBD and Nielsen do not have the raw speed to make 50.x. Bruney, Agyepong and Pipi have potential in the future – if they can continue to make progress on their 200m trajectories, and convert that speed to 400. Pipi’s also still only learning – but a 52.07 indoors in March.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Jeremy.

SteveK26
    Participant

Well that post of mine sparked up some doom and gloom!

There are a lot of ‘decent’ performers about, the more likely therefore that someone will breakthrough to the 50’s.

Cant agree with your ‘raw speed’ contention Jeremy1066, CO was only a 22.8 performer at best, and Shakes-Drayton never broke 23.

SteveK26
    Participant

JRF

The season has barely started, its likely that Nielsen and SBD will run a lot faster later on.
    We know they are capable of low 51’s, so I’m sure they both have ambitions about what side of 51 flat they want to be.

Levi
    Participant

Agreed it’s definitely early in the season and “we” should keep our expectations in check. Bruney has already made an impact in the 400m and it’s not even her main event. Whatever she and her coach decide to do next is cool with me :good:

BTW Cheriece Hylton is another one to watch…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.