This topic contains 112 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  james 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
  • Author

RunUnlimited
    Participant

Now that we’re on the cusp of the main body of the athletics season, I felt it was a good time to bring up an always popular (and frequently contentious!) topic on these boards; predicting the fortunes (or misfortunes) of the athletes who represent Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

With the upcoming and newly re-formatted multi-sport European Championships on the horizon, it is an important championships for several established and up and coming athletes as they build for the Olympics in Tokyo 2020.

So if you have an opinion on the matter and have any particular points on this topic that you’d like to air, please comment to your heart’s content about GB’s prospects, not just in the Euros, but also on the Diamond League circuit, and if you like, also include your thoughts on how our junior athletes might do in the U-18’s European Athletics Championships in Gyor, Hungary, and the U-20’s World Athletics Champs in Tampere, Finland as well.

MikkaF
    Participant

I would be surprised if GB pick up fewer than 20 medals at the Euros.

Possible national records under threat:
    m200 there’s a build up of ~20sec talent; perhaps one of Gemili, Hughes, and Mitchell-Blake can get into the 19.80s.
    If fit, DAS could break one of the records again.
    Miller again in the hammer and Bosworth again in the 20k?
    Hudson-Smith looked in British record form in Australia, but we’ll have to see how he recovers.

Senior breakthroughs and youth competitions?
    Will Glave get his British passport? He looks like a terrific prospect.
    Duckworth could get 8300+ in the decathlon if he pulls all the events together. Would be great if he could work on the 1500 and drop 20 seconds at least in the next couple of years.
    Excited to see how Alex Yee goes this year, post-injury.
    Hope that Omoregie can find some consistency in the short hurdles.
    Dominic Ogbechie looks like a ridiculous talent in the HJ and LJ; will be following his progression.
    Hoping one of the talented 400 women can make the next step up.
    Niamh Emerson to get a gold in her last u20 year?

SteveK26
    Participant

OK.

I’ll kick off with some comments about a few of our (high profile seniors). This is related to the European Champs.

Laura Muir will be outstanding, and now she has beaten Hassan I think she will collect a golden double.

If Prescod is fit and moves up to 400 (as he hinted last year) he could make a big impression.

Difficult to see British male sprinters not dominating, though who might come out on top is difficult to call. Probably not Gemili, though, if he still sees himself as a ‘doubler’.

I’ve no idea what to make of Langford, but would love to see him win a race inside 1-45.

I expect nothing from the once-great Rutherford. He has been a wonderful asset to GB but his time might be over.

I also expect nothing from the once promising Hyltons and Nielsons. I really hope I’m wrong on that one.

I see Dina Asher-Smith winning the Euro 200.The time for her to beat Schippers has arrived.

A medal of some kind for the mighty Miller.

No medal for KJT, in fact I don’t think she will turn up in the heptathlon.

I’d LIKE to see a fresh face emerge in the 400 hurdles, an event I’ve always loved. We all respect Jack Green for dealing with his ‘issues’, but I wish the interviewers would stop bringing the subject up.

Both short relay teams winning, I no longer expect them to drop the baton !

dave
    Participant
    OK.

I’ll kick off with some comments about a few of our (high profile seniors). This is related to the European Champs.

Laura Muir will be outstanding, and now she has beaten Hassan I think she will collect a golden double.

If Prescod is fit and moves up to 400 (as he hinted last year) he could make a big impression.

Difficult to see British male sprinters not dominating, though who might come out on top is difficult to call. Probably not Gemili, though, if he still sees himself as a ‘doubler’.

I’ve no idea what to make of Langford, but would love to see him win a race inside 1-45.

I expect nothing from the once-great Rutherford. He has been a wonderful asset to GB but his time might be over.

I also expect nothing from the once promising Hyltons and Nielsons. I really hope I’m wrong on that one.

I see Dina Asher-Smith winning the Euro 200.The time for her to beat Schippers has arrived.

A medal of some kind for the mighty Miller.

No medal for KJT, in fact I don’t think she will turn up in the heptathlon.

I’d LIKE to see a fresh face emerge in the 400 hurdles, an event I’ve always loved. We all respect Jack Green for dealing with his ‘issues’, but I wish the interviewers would stop bringing the subject up.

Both short relay teams winning, I no longer expect them to drop the baton !

what will muir double in ? the 5000 and 1500 final are impossible as they are on the same day, she could do the 800 and the 1500

we have gold medal chances in the mens 100, 200, 400,800, 1500 ,110 hurdles, 4x 100, 4 x 400, long jump, hammer and the womens 100, 200, 800, 1500, 400 hurdles,5000 4 x100, 4 x 400, long jump, hammer and medal chances in other events too so i am going to predict a record 13 golds and 24 medals

im hopeful that kjt can get sorted and will pick up a silver although who knows

SteveK26
    Participant

Robo

Regarding Muir, I never looked at the schedule.

However, she could do the 800. I reckon she would beat all the Brits at the very least.

If Muir doesn’t run the 5000 (preferring the 1500) which GB athlete are you predict to win it? McColgan?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  SteveK26.

Justrunfast
    Participant

Medal for KJT

Dina new 100 and 200 British records

Hyltons to PB

Gemili to run 19

Hudson-Smith British record

Two British guys to run 9.9

SteveK26
    Participant

Is Dina planning to double?

Lorraine
    Participant

I don’t know what Dina’s plans are but the schedule for the sprints is certainly an incentive for the top athletes to double.

They have kept the rule introduced in Amsterdam giving a bye in the heats to the top 12 ranked athletes so the top sprinters would only need to do the semi & final. I’d like to see Dina double – I’d fancy her chances of beating Dafne more over 100 than 200. I’m not averse to Adam doubling either if fully fit (he’s back in full training which is good news).

Richard
    Participant

Just want one of Mortimore, Hughes, Whiteaker, Pearson or anyone to go 80+ in the spear. It’s not much to ask and I live in hope.

Also want to see a couple have real breakout seasons to establish themselves as real factors at world level. Miller’s already done it. Who else? Feels like something spectacular is overdue from one of our male sprinters.

Levi
    Participant

Just an observation, John Blackie currently has the European Senior 200m Champion (Dina Asher-Smith) and the European Junior 200m Champion (Maya Bruney) in his training group.

I am looking forward to see Dina and Maya this year..and why hasn’t Mr Blackie received an OBE as yet B-)

Caspar
    Participant
    Just an observation, John Blackie currently has the European Senior 200m Champion (Dina Asher-Smith) and the European Junior 200m Champion (Maya Bruney) in his training group.

I am looking forward to see Dina and Maya this year..and why hasn’t Mr Blackie received an OBE as yet B-)

Even better – he also had the 2015 Silver Medalist (Shannon Hylton!) A John Blackie ‘found’ 4x100m (S Hylton, Asher-Smith, Bruney, C Hylton) could probably qualify for the European Championships final!

This year, I think MHS has an even chance of breaking the European 400m record.
    Dina will break 22.00 if she is in a fast race on a nice day in June/July.

james
    Participant

I see little chance of Hudson- smith breaking a long held Euro 400m record. Cant think why he should be regarded as an athlete to break the record when my current choice would likely be the fastest European indoors this year who was DQed sadly in the Indoor WC.

Even better – he also had the 2015 Silver Medalist (Shannon Hylton!) A John Blackie ‘found’ 4x100m (S Hylton, Asher-Smith, Bruney, C Hylton) could probably qualify for the European Championships final!

This year, I think MHS has an even chance of breaking the European 400m record.
    Dina will break 22.00 if she is in a fast race on a nice day in June/July.

Caspar
    Participant
    I see little chance of Hudson- smith breaking a long held Euro 400m record. Cant think why he should be regarded as an athlete to <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0); cursor: pointer;”>break the record</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> when my current choice would likely be the fastest European indoors this year who was DQed sadly in the Indoor WC.

I suppose because:
    – His PB of 44.48 puts him 9th on the European All-Time list, only 0.15 off the record.
    – He’s just opened his season with 45.07 (let’s ignore the Commonwealth Games disaster)
    – In 2017 he ran 45.52 at the same meet and ran 44.74 in the Summer.
    – He’s moved training groups to the US and by all accounts it is going well for him.
    – He is the most naturally talented 400m runner (from a young age) Britain has seen come through since David Grindley. 44.75 and European Silver at 20 in 2014, remember? Possibly being unfair on Rooney who broke the British Junior record there…

http://powerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=400&agegroup=U23&sex=M&alltime=y

Enough reasons?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Caspar.

james
    Participant

no, not enough reasons for me.

He will have to learn how to avoid false starts and warm up properly so he does not screw up the chances of his teamates. Why should I ignore his CG disaster.??

But who knows. he might prove me completely wrong; not holding my breath.!!!

tom
    Participant

Expecting Prescod to run very fast this year. His heat and semi at the World Champs provided ample evidence of his potential. Good start in his heat, great finish in his semi. If he puts it all together, it’s a great foundation for the next two years.

Jamie Luis Ford
    Participant

I do hope and believe that Gemili is going to give doubling up another go. I don’t know the idea is being written off when he’s only 24. In terms of doubling up – I can’t actually recall him being entered to double up at a major champs as of yet.. so I still feel this is an unknown prospect, despite him showing signs of fragility. We should see another sub 20 clocking at least this year from him. With all our top athletes fit the British Champs should be a great spectacle. Gemili v Hughes v NMB v Talbot should be a much better match up this year than it was last.

If i’m going to make one ‘call’ for the sprints this year. Is Ojie Edoburun to go sub10.

Caspar
    Participant

He will have to learn how to avoid false starts and warm up properly so he does not screw up the chances of his teamates. Why should I ignore his CG disaster.??

I’m not saying he is going to win a championship, but that in the right race this summer he is capable of going 44.2 or better.

Matt
    Participant

I have reservations about Gemini doubling up, he’s been hampered by problems in 2 of the last 3 seasons, so taking on an extra event whilst doing the 200 and relay increases the chances of it happening again. It’s not something he was previously interested in, it’s only since he moved to Reider he contemplated it. I think he’d struggle to make the top 3 at the British champs with Edoburun, Prescod and Ujah all better on paper. Lets see what NMB can do this year without the burden of NCAAs, he’s just about the favourite to break the British record ATM

SlowMo
    Participant

<philipo wrote:

I’m not saying he is going to win a championship, but that in the right race this summer he is capable of going 44.2 or better.

Seems to me that the planets only have to align once this season for him to break the record. The rest of the time he may mess up. So enough chance to risk a prediction.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  SlowMo.

SteveK26
    Participant

I agree with Treadwater with regard to Gemili.

It may not a great idea for him to double because of his running style. He is not a smooth 100 runner and seems to over-stride and lose balance. His best event is surely the 200. He is a certainty for the relay squad anyway) provided he doesn’t injure himself.

I want to see Edoburun qualify for the 100 this year.

james
    Participant
    I have reservations about Gemini doubling up, he’s been hampered by problems in 2 of the last 3 seasons, so taking on an extra event whilst doing the 200 and relay increases the chances of it happening again. It’s not something he was previously interested in, it’s only since he moved to Reider he contemplated it. I think he’d struggle to make the top 3 at the British champs with Edoburun, Prescod and Ujah all better on paper. Lets see what NMB can do this year without the burden of NCAAs, he’s just about the favourite to break the British record ATM

There appears on this site a constant reference to our great sprinters to the extent that NMB is suggested as the fave to break Linford’s record. If there is any certainty in this athletics world, for me there is no British sprinter who will get within half a second of 9.86 this year or next year.

Matt
    Participant

I was referring to Regis’s 200m record as NMB is predominantly a 200m runner

SlowMo
    Participant

for me there is no British sprinter who will get within half a second of 9.86 this year or next year.

You wouldn’t want to bet on that? 😉

Jamie Luis Ford
    Participant

Let’s hope someone can defy the odds and run 10.36 then, Philipo.

Jamie Luis Ford
    Participant

SteveK26, your thoughts on Gemili as a 100 runner I do agree with, in regards to over striding. I still think he’s going to go through many technical changes over the next few years. As I say, still very young – especially given his inexperience pre 2012.

Regis’ 200 record HAS to go soon. Our boys haven’t fired at the right time yet.

Gemili has ran 19.98 into a -1.6 headwind.
    Hughes ran 20.02 as a teenager and has been running 20.3’s in first gear this season.
    As soon as NMB relaxes those shoulders it’s a matter of when.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.