This topic contains 253 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  SteveK26 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 254 total)
  • Author

Hilary
    Participant

Hatton may not be fit to run; she’s just come back from injury, remember, and pulled up at the trials. I think it’s perfectly reasonable that JEH has a lane. She is the athlete people want to see, BA are desperate to sell tickets, and this event is – or should be – a big money-spinner for them.

Laura Samuel broke a toe at the ETC and is out for the season.

Very disappointing that Jack Green has pulled out of the 400h. That suggests that he’s not over his injury.

Why are there 8 Americans in the women’s 1500 but only 2 Brits? Rianwedd Price surely deserves a shot. I’d rather see the likes of Terzic and a few other Europeans.

John
    Participant

The meeting is spread pretty thinly over two days (speaking as someone who has forked out for tickets for the whole family). I wish they had padded the programme out with a few domestic only events – particularly in events where there are still selection issues.

jjimbojames
    Participant

Agreed – am going on the Saturday. They could have used domestic races for head-to-heads but also to give the next level down a chance to compete in the Olympic stadium, which won’t happen too often now

jjimbojames
    Participant

Update on Jack Green: https://www.facebook.com/JackGreenOfficial/posts/851341208267890:0

Long story short – almost there

Nie
    Participant

Nothing against Jack Green but by pulling out says he is not fit and to suggest that he will get back to 49.3 shape by the champs wont cut the mustard and if he is selected 99% sure he will be thanking the physio team in yet another excuse filled failure and maybe keeping someone else out of the games – but if unfit they should not be there especially when there are fit people in other events who are overlooked. He knows he will not get selected n current form and is hoping by not competing may get him selected which is wrong. He needs to show form and as said previously he would have to be at his very best just to get to a semi and his preparation has included recovering from injury. Again nothing against him but I cannot see him making any sort of comeback after this serious series of injuries.

Caspar
    Participant
    Nothing against Jack Green but by pulling out says he is not fit and to suggest that he will get back to 49.3 shape by the champs wont cut the mustard and if he is selected 99% sure he will be thanking the physio team in yet another excuse filled failure and maybe keeping someone else out of the games – but if unfit they should not be there especially when there are fit people in other events who are overlooked. He knows he will not get selected n current form and is hoping by not competing may get him selected which is wrong. He needs to show form and as said previously he would have to be at his very best just to get to a semi and his preparation has included recovering from injury. Again nothing against him but I cannot see him making any sort of comeback after this serious series of injuries.

So in an individual sport, you feel he shouldn’t go if there are fit athletes in different events???

I would understand you were talking about other hurdlers, but this is totally nonsensical.

Geoff
    Participant

I am surprised Brett Morse is not throwing. Surely, he must have been invited? Perhaps a repeat of the side strain he had a few weeks ago? He, like Goldie, is currently lying just inside the top 30 on the world lists of those eligible for Beijing. I’m sure there will be a mad scramble to find good winds and an extra metre or two but will that be enough for the selectors?

Not sure about Holly. Hopefully, it’s a case of slowly easing her back into competition and protecting her physically and mentally. She gives very little away so hard to say what the issues are but those closer to her must be doing what is in her best interests.

I went to the 2013 Anniversary Games and also felt it was a little light. Too long between track races and not enough field events. I think they could easily put a men’s shot on plus a women’s high jump and a few domestic races. I wonder how UKA’s finances are doing after a dismal (attendance wise) Birmingham grand prix and UK trials as well as the lack of TV coverage indoors for Glasgow and the indoor champs? If our best athletes don’t turn up then that is what happens.

Richard
    Participant

We’ve got 3 hammer throwers qualified for Beijing – any chance of show casing them?? Of course not, too worried about their flipping football pitch. Sooner this goes back to the Palace the better (tickets still on sale, post OG euphoria wearing off for the casual fan?). Actually, that said I don’t recall too much hammer at the Palace either. Sure it makes a few holes in the turf but it is a spectacular event to watch close up. You really can’t blame the throwers for being hacked off with the total lack of support for their event.

Iain
    Participant

I’m pretty sure hammer is not a part of the diamond league.

Richard
    Participant

Not all events at a DL meet are DL events. If they were, we wouldn’t be seeing Mo, Bolt, TBO and Jess on Friday….

The organisers could put the event on if they were interested.

Geoff
    Participant

Ursus, I agree they could have put hammer on if they really wanted to. Various reasons for not doing it including not damaging the pitch. Did you notice in Monaco where Kovaks had that big effort in the shot they put down indoor matting to protect the pitch?

There is an IAAF hammer challenge. I wonder what it would take for UKA to put one of these on. Perhaps as part of a festival of hammer throwing with junior comps, lectures, razzmatazz etc. Maybe in Hyde Park or somewhere similar.

Nick
    Participant
    If Wallender is included ranked 50th in the world and having thrown 15.50 at the European Team Cup what has Morse done wrong to upset the meet organisers UKA? He was dropped from funding and this is the last chance he can get to get a qualifying mark and compete against some stiff opposition (I noticed him throwing at a national league 2nd tier match – why on earth is he doing that – why is he not throwing in meets abroad?). It seems that they have something against this young thrower (26)? Something seems amiss and it seems to be a shocking way to treat young athletes. I notice he beat people ranked above him this year easily at LEAP and futher investigation shows that the two dutch men are 67m throwers and major games finalists so it was a good performance. Diamond league has not been that good either o he has a chance of mixing it with the big boys – he threw nearly 65m last time and his twitter says he is in the best shape of his life but not had many good conditions to throw in. Bizarre.

In defence of Wallader, in a sea of British shot putting mediocrity, she has I think managed two PB’s this year 17.17 and 17.42 which is actually getting close to the cusp of being in contention for qualification distances for the major championships. Nothing against Morse but let’s not do down one of the few British throwers outside of the men’s hammer to show signs of improvement!

SlowMo
    Participant
    I’m pretty sure hammer is not a part of the diamond league.

Presumably too much damage to multi-purpose stadia pitches? Be surprised to see Hammer Throwing at the Olympic Stadium before the 2017 Worlds for that reason.

Hilary
    Participant

Sportmanager, you claim to have nothing against Jack Green, but you state that if he goes to Beijing it would be ‘yet another excuse filled failure…He knows he will not get selected on current form and is hoping by not competing may get him selected which is wrong.’ I don’t know how you can possibly think you can know what his true situation is, or what will happen in Beijing. Why do you think it’s impossible for an athlete to recover from a broken rib? If UKA chose to select him, don’t you think they’d require him to demonstrate fitness? Anyway, no athletes currently have two A standards in the 400 hurdles, he wouldn’t be keeping anyone else out. I really don’t understand what you’re grousing about. This post seems unnecessarily vindictive to me.

Anonymous
    I am surprised Brett Morse is not throwing. Surely, he must have been invited? Perhaps a repeat of the side strain he had a few weeks ago? He, like Goldie, is currently lying just inside the top 30 on the world lists of those eligible for Beijing. I’m sure there will be a mad scramble to find good winds and an extra metre or two but will that be enough for the selectors?

Not sure about Holly. Hopefully, it’s a case of slowly easing her back into competition and protecting her physically and mentally. She gives very little away so hard to say what the issues are but those closer to her must be doing what is in her best interests.

I went to the 2013 Anniversary Games and also felt it was a little light. Too long between track races and not enough field events. I think they could easily put a men’s shot on plus a women’s high jump and a few domestic races. I wonder how UKA’s finances are doing after a dismal (attendance wise) Birmingham grand prix and UK trials as well as the lack of TV coverage indoors for Glasgow and the indoor champs? If our best athletes don’t turn up then that is what happens.

As I said a light desert after the main course of Paris, Monaco and Lausanne.

A long impatient wait from the Stockholm DL till the 22nd.

Anonymous

I have nowt against Jack Green( he is not important enough for that) but he has the cheek of the devil saying that he has a record of quick recovery and his recent good form blah blah and deserves to be selected if the Selectors will just wait a while.
    His last decent performance in the Hurdles was a while back. Like so many athletes who talk too much on the social media he should shut up and perform. If he falls bad luck but he is not supposed to fall; but he strikes me as a guy with mental problems looking for excuses. Any long hurdlers we take to Beijing are a waste of money as far as I am concerned. Suggest Green looks at the BA document, Clause 1.7.b i to vi. One A standard only of 49.31 back in the middle of Spring and a 49.55; nothing much since. Some of our athletes make one cringe with their comments!! .
    Does Green not realise that nobody owes him or anybody else special consideration. He has stand up and cut the mustard.

Geoff
    Participant

Nick Miller is throwing in the IAAF Hammer Challenge in Karlsbad tomorrow.

Justrunfast
    Participant

People seem to be confused and have forgotten this is a diamond league event, with points at stake not a GB last chance meet…. why should anyone get a lane for the fact they are British?? Plus have two or three athletes from GB who have also ran or jumped further than them.

I disagree with the notion that anyone should be given a lane over someone else because it is their home meet especially if they are fourth choice. Why should Lolo Jones not be given a lane when she has ran 12.6/7 this year???

No one is confused. DL hosts are entitled to choose who they want to compete in the events. Plus, there are plenty of events that aren’t diamond races e.g. 100m hurdles which is what we were talking about.

You’ve answered your own question there. Why should Ennis Hill be given a lane over Solomon and Hatton when she has a SB 0.4 seconds slower than them?

Ennis-Hill should be given a lane because she beat them both at the trials or did you forget? Solomon ran at Loughborough on the weekend and ran 13.11 still slower than what Ennis ran at trials were she lost to her so here is your answer why she deserves the lane. Head to head counts for so much more than people realise

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Justrunfast.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Justrunfast.

Thomas
    Participant
    I have nowt against Jack Green( he is not important enough for that) but he has the cheek of the devil saying that he has a record of quick recovery and his recent <span class=”itxtrst itxtrstspan itxtnowrap” id=”itxthook2p”><span class=”itxtrst itxtrstspan itxtnowrap itxtnewhookspan” id=”itxthook2w” style=”border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-style: none none solid; border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 204, 0); padding: 0px 0px 1px !important; color: rgb(0, 153, 0); font-size: 100%; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: underline !important; background-color: transparent;”>good form</span></span> blah blah and deserves to be selected if the Selectors will just wait a while.
    His last decent performance in the Hurdles was a while back. Like so many athletes who talk too much on the social media he should shut up and perform. If he falls bad luck but he is not supposed to fall; but he strikes me as a guy with mental problems looking for excuses. Any long hurdlers we take to Beijing are a waste of money as far as I am concerned. Suggest Green looks at the BA document, Clause 1.7.b i to vi. One A standard only of 49.31 back in the middle of Spring and a 49.55; nothing much since. Some of our athletes make one cringe with their comments!! .
    Does Green not realise that nobody owes him or anybody else special consideration. He has stand up and cut the mustard.

I am sorry, but are you serious? I am not sure where to begin with this. Firstly, he says he HOPES to be selected due to his EARLY (not recent as you said) form, he is hardly demanding a place or pre-justifying his selection before it has even occurred! There is no need to put words in his mouth, or more accurately, twist them to justify your opinions. Furthermore the comment about ‘mental problems looking for excuses’ is just unnecessary where you know he took a break from the sport due to issues that, rightly, no one on this board should know about. Athletes need support (of all kinds) no matter whether they are indiviually strong mentally or not.

So sending our long hurdlers this summer would be a waste of money? Are you agreeing with BA then that only athletes with serious medal contention should be sent? As that would mean a team of maybe 12 or so (largely due to the relays). Child should not be sent even if she has a good chance of making the final again?

Caspar
    Participant

Is it the duty of the governing body to promote and support the sport and all it offers to the public and country as a whole, or simply to produce as any medals as possible?

I believe both can be achieved mutually with my preference towards the former, the governing body probably leans a little to the latter while Jeremy is clearly of the view that it is entirely the latter. It would be amusing if all governing bodies took this approach, we could look forward to fields of about 8 athletes in every event – in fact, it would be just like a Diamond League meeting. Would that be preferable?

Justrunfast
    Participant

Unfortunately lottery funding mainly depends on the latter hence why British Athletics do more than lean towards the latter

John
    Participant

Are there any events other than the 800 (Amos v Bolt), 1500 (Kiprop v Souleiman) and (inevitably) the W100mH, where the main contenders for Beijing are facing each other? I suspect this is not the fault of the organisers – athletes tend to start avoiding their main competitors in the last few weeks before a major comp – but it’s still disappointing. I gather Ayana, Birech and Spencer have just withdrawn also. Their events are going to be a little short of interest now. Shame they can’t draft Jager – a sub-8 would have been on the cards.

Richard
    Participant
    Sooner this goes back to the Palace the better.

I don’t think there’s a cat in hell’s chance of that happening to be brutally honest. I cannot find a record of any meetings being held there at all this year on Power of 10. Hercules Wimbledon’s Young Athletes open meeting was even held at their home track in Wimbledon Park this year, a venue that doesn’t seem to host many club level meetings itself. A couple of years back it was used for a not well-supported Southern Champs meeting and the feedback I heard from officials was that it was seriously inadequate for hosting such an event. Unless some serious investment is made in it as a venue for meetings I can’t see Britain’s main Diamond League event ever going back there I’m afraid. It’s a pity when improvements to London Overground trains in recent years have actually made it more accessible to those of us from north of the Thames.

That’s not to say that I wouldn’t still like there be a track and indoor facilities of some kind being retained there though.

Richard
    Participant
    Are there any events other than the 800 (Amos v Bolt),

I know who my money is on in that one! 😉

400 might be interesting though!

Anonymous

Fatal to be holding the last two DL meets especially after frenetic activity in the last few weeks. Wonder what crowds will be there on the Saturday.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 254 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.