This topic contains 87 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author

Jeremy
    Participant

Qualification would certainly give it teeth and motivation, especially if there were 2 divisions. Might sound a bit extreme, but currently, RSA and Australia are involved. Open it up to Brazil, too, and rotate it north-south to give it some air and distance during championships-packed years in the Northern Hemisphere.

SlowMo
    Participant

Agree with you 100% Irishman.

Scrapping for every point; a point well made.

Also contrary to predictions Sky made an effort with presentation. Numbers of cameras, close-up action, slow-mo, graphics, etc. Rather too much crowd watching and gushing promotion but they will get the hang of it and leave BBC well behind, as they invariably do with sport.

Martin
    Participant
    Agree with you 100% Irishman.

Scrapping for every point; a point well made.

Also contrary to predictions Sky made an effort with presentation. Numbers of cameras, close-up action, slow-mo, graphics, etc. Rather too much crowd watching and gushing promotion but they will get the hang of it and leave BBC well behind, as they invariably do with sport.

From the comments of athletes themselves – Anita W, Holly Bradshaw and Carina Horn, notably – this did indeed mean something – of course not like the Worlds, OG, Euros or even Commies, lets not be silly – but the combination of fun event, warm crowd, a bit of national chest thumping and a little bling seems to have really worked for them – and both walked away with good performances and some psychological uplift for season to come.

The event already seems to have worked; a qualified success, but a success none the less. If European Athletics have the wit, they will rebrand their ‘team championships’ as a ‘European Nations Cup’, more or less borrow the format, reduce back to 8 teams a division, and row in behind the concept. That would then leave their more adventurous DNA concept for the European Games.

If Russia ever gets round to cleaning up its act once and for all, I could imagine they could host a very fun European Nations Cup over a couple of nights as a ‘welcome back’ event – RUS, GBR, GER, FRA, POL, ITA, TUR, ESP would be a tight couple of nights entertainment, and 2 up/2 down promotion/relegation would be a serious business with teams like GRE, BLR, SWE, SUI, UKR, NOR, CZE, SER fighting it out in the ‘Championship’ division…

Properly done, there’s a lot to be said for one big ‘team’ event a year – it adds to the variety and general gaiety.

My other mad (and probably pointless) idea would be for EA to ‘regularise’ their European based non-Diamond League meetings – Perhaps resurrecting the ‘Golden League’ brand or whatever, with some kind of European Champions Gala at the end of the season in the style of Diamond League finals, to give context to the great smaller european meetings during the season – non-european athletes would of course still be welcome as usual as guests, but european athletes could win either points, or register performances, towards an end of season jamboree of some sort…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Martin.

Matt
    Participant

The biggest problem this event has had is that it wasn’t officially backed by the IAAF in the first place, there’s no way Germany and China would have sent those teams if it has been, China hasn’t sent athletes for 30% of the events. If you look at the world relays, an event which has no real meaning in the wider context, more big names show up. The prize money on offer at the World Cup is actually pretty good, the winning team receives $450k divided by 45 athletes, I can’t imagine the Americans competing at Rabat earned more than that on Friday.

I think the future success of this event hinges on whether the IAAF can sort the calendar out, clearly staging this event the day after a Diamond League has caused a number of problems. Another issue over the horizon is that the 2022 calendar is already looking pretty busy with a July commonwealth games followed by that year’s Euros so they will do well to fit it in but I’d like to see them try, there’s enough substance in the event to warrant its renewal

Martin
    Participant
    The biggest problem this event has had is that it wasn’t officially backed by the IAAF in the first place, there’s no way Germany and China would have sent those teams if it has been, China hasn’t sent athletes for 30% of the events. If you look at the world relays, an event which has no real meaning in the wider context, more big names show up. The prize money on offer at the World Cup is actually pretty good, the winning team receives $450k divided by 45 athletes, I can’t imagine the Americans competing at Rabat earned more than that on Friday.

I think the future success of this event hinges on whether the IAAF can sort the calendar out, clearly staging this event the day after a Diamond League has caused a number of problems. Another issue over the horizon is that the 2022 calendar is already looking pretty busy with a July commonwealth games followed by that year’s Euros so they will do well to fit it in but I’d like to see them try, there’s enough substance in the event to warrant its renewal

Agree 100%. This is an event with a genuine future, and it’s just bloody good fun, but it has significant teething problems – nothing, however that can’t be worked out – other sports like Cycling, tennis and golf manage to work out complicated calendars too.

for a first try, without IAAF formal backing (though I understand they are ‘supportive’ – I suspect they like UKA/AWC taking the early risks, and if it works, they might ‘row in’ behind it) I think they’ve done a better job than most people usually expect of UKA. Add in one of the best editions of British Champs recently seen, perhaps all hope is not lost.

We just need to feed these two nights into the season narrative, ‘blocking off’ dates taken up by Major Champs, National Champs (cycling has a ‘window’ for nationals, prehaps EA/IAAF could regularise the same)and Diamond League. For Commonwealth countries (a very significant chunk of major athletics nations), the even number years have the Commies, and in some instances the Continental Champs to work around – but these dates are often known in advance.

Diamond League apart, the season does tend to get emptier towards the end of the summer after the major champs of the year; that might be a spot where you can have a sort of series of season ending mini-majors – Diamond League Finals, possible European Golden Gala, followed by Athletics World or European Cup, for example. Give it that end of season, ‘schools out’ festival fun feel. I think having actual finals for the DL proved a huge success last year, and gave some actual context to the season – the fabulous 5000m post World rematch certainly didn’t hurt.

Lisa
    Participant

Alternatively, the World Relays are currently at the start of the season, and I understand they’re not going to be held next year, so maybe this event could make a nice general season opener/launch?

RunUnlimited
    Participant
    Alternatively, the World Relays are currently at the start of the season, and I understand they’re not going to be held next year, so maybe this event could make a nice general season opener/launch?

Hmm, but if ya did that, wouldn’t it just have the same issues of major names pulling out precisely because it was early in the season?

Personally, I’d like to see how things develop in this event once it’s been held in another country. We Brits have in the past 6 years proven that we can pack out big stadiums for athletic meets, be it Olympic, World Champs or the Anniversary Games… and even yesterday for this re-branding of the athletics World Cup.

But will the same be true in, say, the USA?

Trevor
    Participant

I’ve not felt this underwhelmed by an athletics meet since the 2010 Commonwealths. Meh.

james
    Participant

anyone have a streaming link as good as the the US one last night?

cheers!

Gavin
    Participant
    anyone have a streaming link as good as the the US one last night?

cheers!

Sadly it’s on the Olympic Channel in the US tonight and that needs you to sign in with a US TV provider.

Will let you know if I find a decent Sky stream.

Gavin
    Participant

From 8pm on Sky Sports Main Event this seems like a decent stream (one or 2 ads to get by first) – https://s.ustreamix.com/stream.php?id=sky-sports-main-event&token=a0f7beff2a8a31c99dd837edc1ee904c

james
    Participant

thank you – I’ll give it a try 🙂

Gavin
    Participant

Try http://cricfree.sc/update/skysportsaction.php for the first hour until 8pm – might not be great.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Gavin.

Gavin
    Participant

Cricfree is streaming well tonight so another alternative for 8pm onwards is http://cricfree.sc/update/skysportsmainevent.php

Hayden
    Participant

I’m wondering why the Chinese bothered entering this competition?

Seems they’ve only entered athletes in the field events and the short sprints :scratch: Same could be said about Jamaica to a lesser extent. If they had entrants in all the events they didn’t enter anyone in then they’d be a lot closer to USA/France in the overall table.

Also Jamaica’s absence in the Women’s Pole Vault made me look into their history with the event… it’s shocking how poor their national records are! 3.40m outdoors and 3.36m indoors! I’m wondering if they even have a Pole Vault final at the Jamaican champs?

james
    Participant

have the West Ham club removed the LJ and TJ and PV run ups I see there are runways built. Why.??
    You cannot take seriously a competition in which some of the entrants don’t bother to send a full team.

Gavin
    Participant

Seems they’ve only entered athletes in the field events and the short sprints …

Yes, for the next edition I think they should be replaced by Japan. They can put out decent athletes in most events.

Michael
    Participant

Women’s triple jump

1) Shanieka Ricketts (Jca) 14.61 PB
    2) Keturah Orji (US) 14.60
    3) Anna Jagaciak (Pol) 14.08

Michael
    Participant

Seems they’ve only entered athletes in the field events and the short sprints :scratch: Same could be said about Jamaica to a lesser extent. If they had entrants in all the events they didn’t enter anyone in then they’d be a lot closer to USA/France in the overall table.

Also Jamaica’s absence in the Women’s <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0); color: rgb(0, 153, 0); cursor: pointer;”>Pole Vault</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> made me look into their history with the event… it’s shocking how poor their national records are! 3.40m outdoors and 3.36m indoors! I’m wondering if they even have a Pole Vault final at the Jamaican champs?

In all my years of watching boys and girls champs in Jamaica, I have never seen any pole vault events….

It’s just not a Jamaican tradition.

Geoff
    Participant

Cameron Walker Shepherd who competed in the men’s vault, but unfortunately no-heighted, is British with Jamaican qualifications. I bet there are quite a few Jamaican qualified vaulters, men and women, in the American college system!

Michael
    Participant

Men’s 400m hurdles

1) Kenny Selmon (US) 48.97
    2) Patryk Dobyk (Pol) 49.02
    3) Dai Greene (GB) 49.48
    4) Annsert Whyte Jca) 49.80

Whyte led into the straight, but hit the final hurdle, and went from first to fourth.

Michael
    Participant

Women’s 200m

1) Shericka Jackson (Jca) 22.35
    2) Jenna Prandini (US) 22.45
    3) Beth Dobbin (GB) 22.95

Prandini raced through the first 100m, but Jackson reeled her in during the second.

Michael
    Participant

100m hurdles

1) Rikenette Steenkamp (RSA) 12.88
    2) Jeanine Williams (Jca) 12.95
    3) Queen Harrison (US) 12.99

Jeremy
    Participant

Philipo, they discussed it yesterday. The area had been lowered for football crowd reasons, which unfortunately obscures the view for Athletics spectators. But, in an event like this, it’s more about where you place versus other competitors (points). Same conditions for all. Although, they did not have too many concerns.

Geoff
    Participant

Talk about consistency – Manyonga 8.51, 8.48, 8.50 & 8.50!!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.