This topic contains 87 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • Author

Daniel Eckersley
    Participant

Warning: may contain snark.

Initial thoughts on the Athletics World Cup

Lisa
    Participant

Nice article. I like your idea about scheduling rounds of field events.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Lisa.

Matt
    Participant

I’m generally pretty positive about the whole thing, staging it in a non world champs / Olympic year makes sense, the US should send a full strength team as they have no other demands this year. I can’t fathom why they’ve excluded the 3k steeple and the 5k, the steeple doesn’t take a huge amount of time to complete and if they’re concerned about fitting everything into the schedule they could swap the 5k for a 3k.

If they’re thinking about doing things differently and experimenting with new ideas why not include an all-star team. Far too many of the likes of Schippers, Miller-Uibo, Rojas, Warholm, Pearson and Barshim will be watching it at home

SteveK26
    Participant

My initial thoughts are that this new format will not be as good as the original World Cup inaugurated in 1977.

In fact I don’t think its now possible to replicate the simple format begun in Dusseldorf. The seasons are now too crowded and athletes have Diamond League cash to hunt down.

I attended the first one in 1977, and thoroughly enjoyed it (even though there were very few GB athletes competing for Europe).

FWIW the old Europa Cup was also miles better than the insane European Team Champs that have replaced it. 😥 😥

SteveK26
    Participant

Not many thoughts have surfaced on the World Cup, so I thought I would try to revive debate.

No Oceania, no Africa, no Asia as entire concepts.
    No distance events.

One thing I’m not sure of since I haven’t read the small print, is whether or not there will be some kind of relegation and promotion? I assume its not a one off, and its not inter-continental, so I suppose there is no reason you couldn’t have one in one out each year?

Jamie Luis Ford
    Participant

The relegation / promotion would make sense.

I’m looking forward to it but I can’t imagine it being a priority for many athletes, I doubt there’s a lot of credibility that will follow; for example I can’t see it in the 100m at the 2019 world champs, with Steve Cram going “here’s Andre De Grasse in lane 5 then, world cup winner of course!”

Happy for it just to be a small ‘battle of the nations’ competition, but this ‘world cup’ only places it on a pedestal it will fall very quickly from.

It’s what the European Team Championships are to the European Championships, enjoyable somewhat – but its strongest year will probably be the first.

Geoff
    Participant

I thought this was a UKA event and not an official IAAF championship. There is substantial prize money which, hopefully, will appeal to many athletes. A bit more pressure and I think it’s still possible to include a 3000m. Assume field events will have restrictions on the number of attempts.

UKA need to sell a lot of tickets to make this work otherwise they will take a financial hit. Something had to be put in the stadium in order to justify the track!

SteveK26
    Participant

You are right , Geoff.
    Seb Coe is backing the event, but gives credit to British Athletics for creating it.

It does say this is the ‘inaugural’ edition, so I guess the plan is to repeat the event.
    I’m all in favour of finding ways to keep the London Stadium active in the summer, and I suppose any renewal might be in London as well.

I guess we will have to see what develops.

Gavin
    Participant

Some of us will need “dodgy” streams to view this – it’s going to be live on Sky Sports.

Geoff
    Participant

paul
    Participant

Looks like Hitchon is in form.
    🙂

paul
    Participant

…And so is Wlod!
    :wacko:

RunUnlimited
    Participant

lol… People complaining about the athletics coverage on the BBC should take a look at how Sky Sports Mix are handling things…. Which is badly!

RunUnlimited
    Participant

Gotta admit, they’ve managed to fill out the Olympic Stadium pretty nicely for this World Cup event though. There are some empty seats for sure, but I’d say it’s a fair 60-65% full already.

Geoff
    Participant

I heard around 30000 for tonight but less tomorrow. Holly Bradshaw with a first time clearance at 4.75 is vaulting really well.

RunUnlimited
    Participant
    I heard around 30000 for tonight but less tomorrow. Holly Bradshaw with a first time clearance at 4.75 is vaulting really well.

That’s great about Bradshaw…. Its just a shame that we cant bloody well SEE IT! Look, I like Andy Pozzi like any other British athletics fan, but I don’t WANT to watch his life story right now, I want to see live athletics!

Michael
    Participant

It’s on Sky Sports Mix, so it should be available to nearly everyone….

But will athletics by available to everyone?

So far, I’ve seen documentaries on Jessica Ennis-Hill and Andy Pozzi, and lots of talk from James Ellington et al, while the events themselves remain ignored.

Geoff
    Participant

Scott Lincoln over 19m in the shot for the first time this year with 19.15m.

Michael
    Participant

Women’s 400m hurdles

1) Janieve Russell (Jca) 55.10 – jogged to an easy win.
    2) Megan Beasley (GB) 55.90
    3) Aurelie Chaboudez (France) 56.23
    4) Wenda Nel (RSA) 56.36

Michael
    Participant

Men’s shot putt

1) Michal Haratyk (Pol) 21.95
    2) Darrell Hill (US) 21.43
    3) Odayne Richards (Jca) 20.05

Michael
    Participant

Women’s 400m

1) Steph McPherson (Jca) 50.98 – comfortable win
    2) Floria Guei (France) 51.84
    3) Justyna Swiety (Pol) 51.89
    4) Anyika Onuora (GB) 52.03
    5) Courtney Okolo (US) 52.09

james
    Participant

is someone taking the piss. What jerks organised the web stuff where it says go to here for the results; the word “results” appears top left on my screen and f.ck all appears. I have still never seen the full teams names/entrants even now and nowhere where I am searchiung shows the teams and the results; typical UKA and Sky sh.te and we have to rely on posters here giving some details about a little about the results; no mention of the points total for each teamand after each event its 8. 25 so this rubbish meet is 1hr 25 mins old.

THE NON EVENT OF THE YEAR :yahoo: :yahoo:

james
    Participant
    Women’s 400m

1) Steph McPherson (Jca) 50.98 – comfortable win
    2) Floria Guei (France) 51.84
    3) Justyna Swiety (Pol) 51.89
    4) Anyika Onuora (GB) 52.03
    5) Courtney Okolo (US) 52.09

if Okolo is running this time they are taking the piss.!!!

james
    Participant

Men’s shot putt

1) Michal Haratyk (Pol) 21.95
    2) Darrell Hill (US) 21.43
    3) Odayne Richards (Jca) 20.05

[/quoteI see so what happened to the other putters and where is it written???????

Geoff
    Participant

Results:

Results

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.