This topic contains 294 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  david 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 295 total)
  • Author

david
    Participant

Steven & Larkim
    Who on this planet reflected to make a sport out of sweeping the ice????!!!!
    Perhaps I’m from another planet …

david
    Participant

Steven
    Yes I’m happy with your’ve vision of how KJT might do in the PEN.7

james
    Participant

following the ‘fitness setback’ to Daryll Neita and her withdrawal, and subsequent late replacement by Bianca Willis … do you think anyone at British Athletics made a last minute representation to Dasher to have her change her mind and run at the World Indoor 60m, following her good form at the weekend?

SteveK26
    Participant
    following the ‘fitness setback’ to Daryll Neita and her withdrawal, and subsequent late replacement by Bianca Willis … do you think anyone at British Athletics made a last minute representation to Dasher to have her change her mind and run at the World Indoor 60m, following her good form at the weekend?

Whilst I think Dina could win the indoor 60, I’m sort of glad her indoor season has come to an end.

I absolutely cannot wait to see what she will do outdoors this year. I’m excited at the prospect of a sub 22, and (hopefully) another sub 11.
    If she stays fit and healthy she is capable of something really special.

james
    Participant

I don’t disagree with you, SteveK26, but given the form she showed, and it is a home World Indoors, the chance may not come again…

BTW, I know you like your swimming – looking forward to the British Champs? how are we to balance watching the two later this week? I know there is the UK Swimming forum for some discussion but I am also hoping pullbouy puts up one of his pre-meet blog entries …

SteveK26
    Participant

Carterhatch

I’ll find a way, you can bet on that!
    (Philipo likes his swimming as well).

I don’t really expect too many fireworks at the British Champs since the vast majority of our top swimmers will be focussed on Brisbane.
    I’ll be looking to see which juniors might push on to the next level, and hoping that Imogen Clark can prove how silly the selectors were to leave her out.

james
    Participant

Stevek26

I have followed your strong advocacy for Imogen Clark in the other place and I have to agree it is crazy to leave her out because the 50m breastroke is not an Olympic event … luckily we dont have such foolishness in athletics …

SteveK26
    Participant
    Steven & Larkim

David

LOL. An interesting question…..

What other ridiculous sports are there?
    And what sports are won by folks going backwards?

david
    Participant

Well you can slide down any icy path head first and prone, or feet first and supine, or sit. All ice-hurtling stuff. You can win by 1/1000th of a second, though all done alone against the clock so no seeing you cross the finishing tape 1mm ahead of 2nd place. There isn’t an event for going backwards ie on one’s back, head first – at present.
    I guess the ice people will wonder at us having running, walking, hurdling.
    Oh and I was delighted to see Bosworth getting a WR at the weekend.
    PS my take on Christie: she has a WR and a bagful of medals from World & Europe; delightful & my admiration for her, and congratulations.

SteveK26
    Participant

David

The going backwards sports include rowing, HJ and tug o’ war.
    Synchronized swimming is an example of another ridiculous sport, although it takes some doing. Not exactly user friendly to viewers!

Didn’t think you would be in the Philipo camp with regard to Christie.

david
    Participant

Steve
    I use to row in an 8 but we had a cox, but yes some rowing & sculling combinations don’t.
    And the WR for running 100 meters (men) backwards is 13.6s. There are WRs for up to 24 hours! The ingenuity of homo sapiens!! I presume the site isn’t fake news …
    see
    http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/backwards-running.html

SteveK26
    Participant

Even if we go off track into swimming, winter Olympics, odd ‘backwards’ stuff and whatever, its good to see that this forum has come out of its hibernation. It went very quiet during the winter.

larkim
    Participant

Steven & Larkim

David
    LOL. An interesting question…..
    What other ridiculous sports are there?
    And what sports are won by folks going backwards?

Curling definitely falls into the “game” not a “sport” bucket, but the winter Olympics are such a mixed bag of questionable sports that it fits nicely. So many winter sports don’t rely on beating the clock or another team, they are judged based on aesthetics, so at least curling doesn’t have that feature.

I did some reading up on the scoring for the ski jump and was amazed how much of the final score was given up to the style and landing points (broadly 60 points for a “par” jump, with bonuses for extra metre’s jumped and 60 points for perfect style).

Ice dance, ski / snowboard slopestyle / big air, ski aerials etc.

But then the Winter Olympics would be a little dull if all it had was downhill skiing, sliding down a tube of ice, curling and ice-hockey!

SteveK26
    Participant

Gymnastics is definitely a sport, but that has to go to a panel of judges as well.

Richard
    Participant
    But then the Winter Olympics would be a little dull

They are. Watched Yarnold’s event for about half an hour and that was it.

The best bits are the crashes, providing no-one gets hurt.

As for previous conversation on Christie, despite other achievements, the OG are her pinnacle. There’s clearly something up with her temperament or technique, or both at that very highest level. Failing that she’s the unluckiest athlete ever and should avoid black cats and ladders.

And before anyone accuses me of being negative, I’m about to lay into race walking on the other thread….

Gavin
    Participant
    Steve
    I use to row in an 8 but we had a cox, but yes some rowing & sculling combinations don’t.
    And the WR for running 100 meters (men) backwards is 13.6s. There are WRs for up to 24 hours! The ingenuity of homo sapiens!! I presume the site isn’t fake news …
    see
    http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/backwards-running.html

Running backwards for 24 hours?! Oh, my word. Running is hard enough as it is!

Here’s a fun fact …
    Sally Pearson (yes, that Sally Pearson) is the World Record holder in the 100m Egg and Spoon race! 16.59 seconds on 23 Sep 2013 (video here).

SteveK26
    Participant

I would have beaten her in my hey-day! I used to love the ‘egg and spoon’ race almost as much as the ‘sack’ race. (and my eggs weren’t glued to the spoon)..
    Always felt it was a pity they weren’t Olympic events……….., ”I couda been a contender, I couda been somebody, instead of a bum..”

(brownie points for those of you who know where that quote comes from).

Gavin
    Participant

Ah, yes, the sack race was my forte rather than the egg and spoon. I remember us doing the family double one year with my Dad winning the Dad’s sack race too! He was very fit from playing various sports in the Air Force.

david
    Participant

Steve
    bus driver Ralph Cramden (by Jackie Gleason) in ‘The Honeymooners’

re egg & spoon: I guess Sally Pearson (12.28 100h, WR 12.21 & then 12.20) would sooner have had the 100h WR, but still a distinguished hurdler.

SteveK26
    Participant
    Steve
    bus driver Ralph Cramden (by Jackie Gleason) in ‘The Honeymooners’

re egg & spoon: I guess Sally Pearson (12.28 100h, WR 12.21 & then 12.20) would sooner have had the 100h WR, but still a distinguished hurdler.

Not the bus driver, David, nor that film.

Matt
    Participant
    I would have beaten her in my hey-day! I used to love the ‘egg and spoon’ race almost as much as the ‘sack’ race. (and my eggs weren’t glued to the spoon)..
    Always felt it was a pity they weren’t Olympic events……….., ”I couda been a contender, I couda been somebody, instead of a bum..”

(brownie points for those of you who know where that quote comes from).

Brando, On The Waterfront

SteveK26
    Participant

Spot on , Treadwater.

Gavin
    Participant

larkim
    Participant

Rutherford withdraws. Not a surprise really as he didn’t look 100% in Glasgow.

larkim
    Participant

But then the Winter Olympics would be a little dull

They are. Watched Yarnold’s event for about half an hour and that was it.

The best bits are the crashes, providing no-one gets hurt.

Suspect it depends on whether you do any winter sports yourself. I’ve managed to get on a family skiing holiday every year / couple of years so when I watch the skiing and snowboarding I’m more engaged. I’m an avid Ski Sunday viewer so I suppose I am more Winter Olympics focussed through that. And I did manage to get engrossed in curling this year!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 295 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.