This topic contains 294 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  david 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 295 total)
  • Author

SteveK26
    Participant
    Despite it missing some big names I’m really looking forward to the Pentathlon.

If KJT isn’t quite on her game it could get very close. In the last 2 seasons Dadic, Bougard, Williams, Klucinova & Kriszan have all scored in the 4630 – 4770 range.

Until 3 weeks ago (in one of those Czech HJ meetings) Rodriguez had never competed indoors.

Kat does look very fit. The shot will be dismal (probably), but the key might be the hurdles. Hopefully she has improved her speed and will get somewhere close to 8-10.

Lets hope for a convincing performance overall from her.

Alice
    Participant

Stevek26

Was Christie the focus of attention because she is World Champ or due to the fact in 6 olympic events she failed for whatever reason. Is she focus of attention because she is interviewed afterwards in tears, blaming other competitors for her misfortune. Just looked at BBC Twitter, posted 4 hours ago and what do we have “Your messages + Elise Christie’s reaction. Yep, things get a little emotional…” I rest my case!!!

There are penalties and falls, but if you look at the ranking, Fontana, Choi, Boutin didn’t fall or were penalised. Christie may have been a World Champ but the ranking tell a different story (6th is her highest ranking in 500m). Instead, should the BBC be focusing on the other GB skaters on how they can improve etc rather than to continue broadcasting Christies hard luck stories? Compare the BBC coverage of the Christie misfortunes and the actual GB medal winners?

SteveK26
    Participant

Sorry, don’t agree with any of that.

Christie was the ONLY GB speed skater with any chance of a medal going in to the Games.

If any of the others had done really well then they could have grabbed some more of the limelight.
    But they didn’t. As a piece of theatre I’d rather see Christie going for broke and bombing out, than focus on skaters losing touch and never threatening.

james
    Participant

Christie was the ONLY GB speed skater with any chance of a medal going in to the Games.

If any of the others had done really well then they could have grabbed some more of the limelight.
    But they didn’t. As a piece of theatre I’d rather see Christie going for broke and bombing out, than focus on skaters losing touch and never threatening.]

Apparently the Dutch speed skaters who know a bit more than many on the topic call EC the “windmill” for her horrible style, dangerous to others.
    She is regarded, so my dutch ex family tell me, as an international skating joke.
    Cant think why???

james
    Participant

But they didn’t. As a piece of theatre I’d rather see Christie going for broke and bombing out, than focus on skaters losing touch and never threatening.

If one requires theatre go there; this is the OG !!

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

Nice to see that I have reduced your debating skills to silly semantics on this occasion! (“theatre’ has more than one meaning)

Could these Dutch skaters of yours be guilty of sour grapes, perhaps?
    What medals were they winning against Elise when Elise was winning 10 European Golds and 3 World Champs Golds.
    I guess they must have looked looked aesthetically great picking up silver and bronze? Or maybe they didn’t medal at all?

An “International Skating joke” with more medals than you can fit into a blanket chest.

Get off Christie’s back, Philipo. The facts speak for themselves.

John
    Participant

Viewed objectively, I think a neutral would predict the following 3 medals:

KJT – gold
    Muir – silver in the 1500 if the 3000 hasn’t been too brutal. I actually think, based purely on gut feel, she’ll get a bronze in the 3000 as well but I don’t see how you can objectively predict her to beat Obiri, Hassan and Dibaba.
    W4x400 – bronze behind US and Poland

Theses others are all long shots on present form (where I mention a ranking on the world list I realise the list includes some who will not be in Brum).

Ujah is ranked 10th and will most likely need to improve by half a metre to get close to a medal in what should be the highest quality 60 final ever.
    Philip is ranked 10th with 4 Europeans ahead of her. That said, matching her pb would give her a shot of a medal
    Pozzi is ranked 12th. Same comment as for Philip.
    Rutherford and Grabarz – purely on past experience – but they are ranked 44th and 13th, respectively.
    O’Hare and Wightman are as likely to get knocked out in the heats as they are to get medals – 1500 indoors can be a lottery.
    Ditto Oskan-Clark
    Doyle – 5th ranked of those competing

I have a sneaky feeling for McColgan, just because I think she might make a sudden and bold run for home in either 1500 or 3000 and steal a march on the others. ((Does anyone steal use ‘steal a march’ in common speech or is it just athletics commentators??)

John
    Participant
    Chris O’hare looks in good form and again, if I were BA, I’d be having a conversation with him and Wightman to work together if they final.

Agreed! However, Mr O’Hare gives me the impression of someone who would run over his own Granny if she got in his way on a running track, so I don’t see him doing anything to help Jack Wightman. 😉

SteveK26
    Participant

Soviet

I might be a little optimistic with my 5-7 (!)

But it is a home meet, which should help.

You may have seen Pozzi’s ridiculous start last weekend, if he can’t improve on that I’d be amazed. I’m hopeful he will medal.
    Also I think Shelayna O-C might medal with a sub 2-00.

And as you rightly say there will some no-shows from abroad.

SlowMo
    Participant

You are right Steve, Pozzi looked in sub 7.5 form in Birmingham giving away 0.1+ at the start and still winning. 7.43 last year. Should be in the mix this year.

As for Christie she is the textbook drama queen with no idea how to harness her obvious talent and dedication to get the result she wants. It’s a crazy sport though and given misfortune for her opponents or a charmed run through she could end up winning Olympic Gold(s) next time. I shall be laughing more than I will be cheering.

larkim
    Participant

If we’re discussing Christie, my “journey” with her has been:-
    – legacy of last games, I characterised her as emotionally weak and frail
    – prior to these Games, she appeared to have strengthened herself, and now had more “palmares” under her belt to justify self confidence
    – it looked to me in the 500m like she was relaxed about it all – not her best event, but showed speed in the heats / semi.
    – 1500m heat she looked sublime – I was warming to her
    – 1500m semi, she raced badly and put herself in a bad position, then tried a 50:50 move which didn’t come off, perhaps was a bit panicky, but had the bad luck to be injured in the fall
    – 1000m heat, she turns up injured, then makes a silly mistake on the start tripping over the skates of the athlete next to her. Possibly a mistake made through emotional panic, this was now her last chance.
    – 1000m heat re-start – I knew before it set off she wasn’t going to get through. She was now in the sort of mood my 3rd eldest son gets into – red mist etc etc. Even if she’d qualified, she’d have been trounced in the next rounds. I was quite glad she didn’t make it.
    – post exits interviews – demonstrates better maturity than in Sochi in reflecting on the issues, which bodes well for the future. I’ve warmed to her again.

Conclusion – she’s a talented, fast skater and as the best we have in Britain deserves home support and flag waving – after all, we don’t follow short track much beyond the Olympics, so all we have to go on is nationality and glimpses of personality.

The jury’s out for me as to whether my jingoistic support for her will be above or below my average level for a Brit if I watch her skate again in Beijing. Her talent earns my respect, her mental frailty needs fixing.

(Actually, she’s not that different from KJT in my head. I don’t, and never have done, warm to those athletes who’s physical talents are let down by significant emotional immaturity. That’s not very nice of me I know, but I think it reflects a consistent pattern in my sporting observations!)

Hayden
    Participant

John
    Participant
    (Actually, she’s not that different from KJT in my head. I don’t, and never have done, warm to those athletes who’s physical talents are let down by significant emotional immaturity. That’s not very nice of me I know, but I think it reflects a consistent pattern in my sporting observations!)

My first hero was Dave Bedford, so I’ve always needed to be more understanding of this personality type!!

dave
    Participant
    If we’re discussing Christie, my “journey” with her has been:-
    – legacy of last games, I characterised her as emotionally weak and frail
    – prior to these Games, she appeared to have strengthened herself, and now had more “palmares” under her belt to justify self confidence
    – it looked to me in the 500m like she was relaxed about it all – not her best event, but showed speed in the heats / semi.
    – 1500m heat she looked sublime – I was warming to her
    – 1500m semi, she raced badly and put herself in a bad position, then tried a 50:50 move which didn’t come off, perhaps was a bit panicky, but had the bad luck to be injured in the fall
    – 1000m heat, she turns up injured, then makes a silly mistake on the start tripping over the skates of the athlete next to her. Possibly a mistake made through emotional panic, this was now her last chance.
    – 1000m heat re-start – I knew before it set off she wasn’t going to get through. She was now in the sort of mood my 3rd eldest son gets into – red mist etc etc. Even if she’d qualified, she’d have been trounced in the next rounds. I was quite glad she didn’t make it.
    – post exits interviews – demonstrates better maturity than in Sochi in reflecting on the issues, which bodes well for the future. I’ve warmed to her again.

Conclusion – she’s a talented, fast skater and as the best we have in Britain deserves home support and flag waving – after all, we don’t follow short track much beyond the Olympics, so all we have to go on is nationality and glimpses of personality.

The jury’s out for me as to whether my jingoistic support for her will be above or below my average level for a Brit if I watch her skate again in Beijing. Her talent earns my respect, her mental frailty needs fixing.

christie is the world record holder in the 500 and has three world golds, 4 silvers and 5 bronzes and well as 10 euro golds, 6 silvers and a bronze , shes miles ahead of kjt in terms of achievements, just hasnt done it at the olympics

Gavin
    Participant

More teams:

Jamaica (Omar McLeod has since withdrawn)
    Australia
    Sweden

larkim
    Participant
    christie is the world record holder in the 500 and has three world golds, 4 silvers and 5 bronzes and well as 10 euro golds, 6 silvers and a bronze , shes miles ahead of kjt in terms of achievements, just hasnt done it at the olympics

Yes, agreed she is leagues apart in terms of achievements. I suppose having not watched the ST world champs to see her at her confident best I’ve got an unbalanced view of how she performs under scrutiny. But then again, perhaps the ST world champs are a significantly less “big deal” than the sort of events that we see KJT occasionally crumble in.

SteveK26
    Participant

While we are still on the Winter Olympics, a word about our curlers.

Both our teams fell apart when it mattered.
    Eve Muirhead’s team played pretty well all through the rounds, but saved their worst for the semi and then again in the bronze play-off. Pressure?
    Are the funding issues ramping things up, ie ‘bring back a medal or lose funding’?

Then there was the farce of the 4-man bob. How is it possible to arrive at the start line with bob runners that don’t comply? And no spares. After all the money poured in? It doesn’t make sense to me…….

John
    Participant
    Rutherford, is on an upward trajectory into the world of celebrity and a prime media slot (hopefully ousting Colin Jackson), he will sign a lot of autographs and be impeccable, but I hope he doesn’t get injured running towards the spotlight.

Greg was on Danny Baker’s show this morning doing the Sausage Sandwich Game. This is what my licence fees is for. Tremendous!!

james
    Participant

An uncomfortable fact was before our eyes this OG speed skating and I personally don’t give a fig for past achievements especially about an athlete touted by the BBC so strongly. Christie failed and fouled and fell and made herself look ridiculous for such an overrated world class skater..
    The ignorant do not pour scorn about “sour grapes” on the nation with a superb record in speed skating, namely the Dutch.
    The Olympic Games has nothing to do with European or even world championships and is SPECIAL in all sports, as we frequently discover.( recall Guy the world champion swimmer one year who could NOT repeat when it mattered. One example only. ) It produces the sportspeople who cope with the extra pressure of a 4 yearly test without whingeing about their fellow performers.
    One can only smile at the silliness of posters coming to the assistance of a failed competitor, our bolted on Goldie according to the BBC.

I have no doubt that any underperformance this year by our athletes will be met with the same excuse making guff that I hear every year.

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

You still banging on about Elise Christie?

You really don’t like her do you?

Give it a rest.

(by the way it was you that brought up the subject of the Dutch, saying that they all think Christie is a joke). So you have no right to bang on about ‘sour grapes’.

Gavin
    Participant

Provisional entry lists are now available – they include reserve athletes too.

david
    Participant

KJT (’93): 8 18, 1 95, 12 32, 6 89, 2 12 78 = 5000 6mar15, 3-years ago
    Something for her to aim for, to equal, to beat???
    Otherwise what might she salvage? be pleased about?

larkim
    Participant
    The Olympic Games has nothing to do with European or even world championships and is SPECIAL in all sports, as we frequently discover.

Interesting to read that the Canadian coach of our GB (women’s?) curlers noted that the all canadian champs were more competitive as an event than the Olympics.

As an aside, why do women and men compete separately at curling?

SteveK26
    Participant

David

Lets break it down….

60 hurdles
    Her PB of 8-18 (2015) is way quicker than she has run lately. She should be capable of going quicker, but there is no evidence to support that she will.

HJ
    A very consistent event for her, with a 1-93 already to her name this year. 1-95 is beatable for her, but not by much.

Shot
    12-32 should be well within her compass, but this years two efforts fill me with dread. Not even close to 12 metres yet. This is the key event.

LJ
    6-71 this year very encouraging. Doesn’t take too much of a leap of faith to expect her to get close to that 6-89.

She is capable of running 5 seconds quicker than 2-12.78 from 3 years ago.
    If the first 4 events leave her on track, then she should at least run sub 2-10 this time around. She looks (visibly) is fantastic shape.

Conclusion

I don’t think she will break 5000 points. She lacks competition, and the short hurdles and shot will likely scupper her chances. But she might well win, and probably will. The gold would be more than acceptable, and any record a huge bonus.

SteveK26
    Participant

Larkim

Just an extra event, I suppose.

I agree there is no reason why a male would have any physical advantage over a female.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 295 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.