This topic contains 294 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  david 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 295 total)
  • Author

Gavin
    Participant

The British team has been announced. Robertson selected over Kilty. Laura & Eilish to double in the 1500 & 3000.

Gavin
    Participant

Please post other team announcements as well.

Here’s the ones I can see so far:

Ethiopia
    Poland
    France (a very sparse team; no-one in the track events longer than 60m and no relay squads)
    Canada (no Melissa Bishop – she’s pregnant)

Nick
    Participant

Kilty’s injured again so couldn’t be picked.

SteveK26
    Participant

The athlete I’m most looking forward to watch is Lee Thompson.
    If he manages a sub 46 then this indoor season might just be the beginning….

Caspar
    Participant
    The big story as usual will be Genzebe double. Once again she is the poster girl.

Laura Muir is doing the same double, is double European Indoor Champion, may not have run a paced 1500m/3000m this year but is still World #1 over 800m and the Champs are in Birmingham. I would beg to differ on your assessment of ‘poster girl’.

Gavin
    Participant

I’d agree MysteryBrick that the organisers are more likely to produce a poster featuring Our Laura than a foreign athlete. 🙂

That 3000 promises to be stacked. A race for the ages I hope. Dibaba, Obiri, Muir, Klosterhalfen, Houlihan, Bahta & (?) Jebet.

Team USA announced. Houlihan has decided to do the 1500 as well.

Gavin
    Participant

Forgot about Hassan too in the W 3000!

SteveK26
    Participant

I usually get a bit twitchy when too many of our top athletes target a serious indoor campaign.

The team for next weekend is a pretty strong one with quite a few medal contenders. I wish them well and hope they accumulate a record haul of medals. But most of all I hope they all avoid injury, and take their good form into the summer season. I’ll be watching with everything crossed!

(I’m relieved Dasher won’t be on the start list).

james
    Participant
    I usually get a bit twitchy when too many of our top athletes target a serious indoor campaign.

The team for next weekend is a pretty strong one with quite a few medal contenders. I wish them well and hope they accumulate a record haul of medals. But most of all I hope they all avoid injury, and take their good form into the summer season. I’ll be watching with everything crossed!

(I’m relieved Dasher won’t be on the start list).

How many medal contenders on the British team… rather thin on the ground. Who might they be I wonder??

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

Your terrible rant about the Winter Olympics coverage was completely unjustified.

I’m not sure what you expect. Ignore the Brits?
    Just about EVERY event has been covered in full, with or without Brits, with
    some great expert analysis throughout (loved Torvill and Dean’s input). Almost 24 hours coverage.
    How come you didn’t watch the Eurosport coverage then, if ‘Auntie’ was so poor?

Shame that you deride a world champion like Elise Christie, a bit sad really. A matter for you.

SteveK26
    Participant

Best ever GB haul at World Indoors was 9 in Istanbul 2012.
    Next best is 7 in Birmingham 2012.

Philipo ,with his usual negative hat on, says our prospects this time around are ‘thin’.

Lets see where some medals might come from…..

MEN

Ujah
    Wightman
    Pozzi
    (maybe) Rutherford

WOMEN

Philip
    Doyle
    Oskan-Clarke
    Muir x2
    KJT
    4×400 relay

They won’t all do the business, but 5-7 very possible.

james
    Participant

Dear SteveK26

I admire your optimism, and while happy to unfurl the union flag, I don’t think it will be seen very often, certainly not on top of the podium. I think British Athletics have missed a chance here, it is a home venue, and yes I know the Commonwealths are early, but I think one or two more of our ‘funded’ athletes should have been encouraged to make this a priority … and one or two who are not funded have missed a chance to get themselves on the radar…

I wouldn’t be surprised if we only pick up 4 medals at best … no wonder Mr. Black hasnt set a target…

SteveK26
    Participant
    Dear SteveK26

I admire your optimism, and while happy to unfurl the union flag, I don’t think it will be seen very often, certainly not on top of the podium. I think British Athletics have missed a chance here, it is a home venue, and yes I know the Commonwealths are early, but I think one or two more of our ‘funded’ athletes should have been encouraged to make this a priority … and one or two who are not funded have missed a chance to get themselves on the radar…

I wouldn’t be surprised if we only pick up 4 medals at best … no wonder Mr. Black hasnt set a target…

You might be right with your prediction of 4 medals.

That would be a par performance at a global indoors for GB.

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

Just to remind you this is a forum and I will comment on your posts whenever I feel like it. It has been known for me to agree with you sometimes, but not on this occasion.

I somehow doubt that your local chats with friends and family is a fair barometer of public opinion.
    Perhaps you should all have tuned into Eurosport (it is on there , by the way).

Your ‘flag-waving’ nonsense does you no credit. Neither does your damnation of Christie.
    But again, what you write is a matter for you. Enjoy the rest of the Winter Games.

What is your medal prediction for Birmingham? ( ‘thin’ doesn’t tell us much).

Gavin
    Participant

Matt
    Participant
    Best ever GB haul at World Indoors was 9 in Istanbul 2012.
    Next best is 7 in Birmingham 2012.

Philipo ,with his usual negative hat on, says our prospects this time around are ‘thin’.

Lets see where some medals might come from…..

MEN

Ujah
    Wightman
    Pozzi
    (maybe) Rutherford

WOMEN

Philip
    Doyle
    Oskan-Clarke
    Muir x2
    KJT
    4×400 relay

They won’t all do the business, but 5-7 very possible.

I’d add O’Hare to that list after his good run in the states. I can’t see Rutherford being particularly competitive after his showing at the weekend. I would say Grabarz as he’s won 2 indoor medals in the last 2 championships but we don’t know what shape he’s in, one effort of 2.30 isn’t much to go on.

Philip’s got a chance but will have to beat one of Schippers, Ta Lou or E Thompson, a tall order.

Langford has also decided not to take part but is doing the Grand Prix this Sunday, I’m struggling to get my head round that one I must admit

It’s disappointing the big guns of Thiam, Schafer, LIA and the Dutch women have decided to give it a miss. Rodriguez, the Cuban seems to improve every time she steps on the track so will give Kat a good test.

The women’s hurdles should be a cracker, Aus haven’t announced their squad but Pearson has said she’s doing it. Harrison and the other 2 Americans in fine form so far this season

james
    Participant
    Philipo

Just to remind you this is a forum and I will comment on your posts whenever I feel like it. It has been known for me to agree with you sometimes, but not on this occasion.

I somehow doubt that your local chats with friends and family is a fair barometer of public opinion.
    Perhaps you should all have tuned into Eurosport (it is on there , by the way).

Your ‘flag-waving’ nonsense does you no credit. Neither does your damnation of Christie.
    But again, what you write is a matter for you. Enjoy the rest of the Winter Games.

What is your medal prediction for Birmingham? ( ‘thin’ doesn’t tell us much).

Defence of a person banned for fouling regularly at Olympic level does no particular credit to a fan of British sport..
    I do not have Eurosport cos its largely in a 12 month period not for me.
    If we get 3 individual medals in Birmingham that will be all I expect.
    In the Pentathlon with numerous top stars missing from the event I hear, and no shot or javelin KJT may indeed get a medal. Muir to get a medal is a fair possibility and one more from somebody… not for me Ujah nor Pozzi.

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

I don’t need to defend Elise Christie. She has reached World Champion status in her chosen sport.
    A rare accolade. Speaks for itself.

She is a very fine short-track speed skater. I was probably as disappointed as you that she didn’t medal at this Olympics. But I admire her courage and hope I’m still around to see her compete in 2022.

Your prediction for the world indoors (3 , but ignoring the likely 4×400 relay medal) is not far removed from my prediction of 5-7, or Carterhatch’s prediction of 4.

I doubt any of us expect an avalanche of medals.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  SteveK26.

SteveK26
    Participant

Treadwater

Every time I see Rodriguez get better and better I think back to her World Junior battle with Lake.

Their fortunes since have been very different. I wonder if ‘hunger’ has anything to do with it?

Pearson against the Americans will indeed be a race to savour if it happens!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  SteveK26.

james
    Participant

Philipo

Kindly note that the women’s indoor pentathlon does include the shot, though that didn’t stop KJT making the second highest score of all time… indeed had she gone all-out on the 800 she would be the world record holder and failing to do so flagged up my initial concern over her winning mentality. Still, I will watch with great interest and some trepidation to see if she can deliver this time and relaunch from here.

Asha Philip looked in good condition, and I hope she can mix it with a very strong field and make the final, I sense a couple of false starts as the ladies will be very twitchy and that might open up the way to the podium.

Laura Muir, bless her, doesn’t take the easy route, and I sense there is a chance of at least a medal in one of her events. I only wish her and Eilish decided to run tactically and take it out from the start and so not leave it to a last lap kick.

Eilidh Doyle looked in good form, and seemed to use the trials well to test herself through the rounds, an outside chance of podium but I fear her exertions might expose the relay squad which would need her at fall gallop

Oskan-Clarke is a gritty competitor, I see a little of the Kelly Holmes in her … make the final and who knows…

I am not sure Morgan Lake will figure and will need to at least PB … for the ladies not mentioned in individual events, good luck, enjoy the experience and aim for PBs…

Men to follow…

james
    Participant

Team GB mens’ chances for podium are not so obvious as the women…

in the four decades of following athletics I don’t think I have known so little about the 4×400 squad as the one selected. It truly embodies the notion of a development squad. Lee Thompson ran well at the trials and it will be interesting to see how he approaches the first round – as his final, I hope, then take it from there. I would note that not one of the relay athletes on ‘funding’is represented here, and that does beg some questions in my view, it being a home world championships… but good luck to those there, grasp your chance.

Rutherford, is on an upward trajectory into the world of celebrity and a prime media slot (hopefully ousting Colin Jackson), he will sign a lot of autographs and be impeccable, but I hope he doesn’t get injured running towards the spotlight.

CJ, I am warming to, and bearing in mind Prescod and Gemilli are both supposedly running this weekend in Glasgow, I hope selectors remember this when difficult decisions might be made later in the Olympiad. Will he podium here, unlikely, but looking for a PB.

If I would like to give anyone a medal it would be Pozzi, he has the talent, and the most likely of the men to win a medal, but his start ;looked woeful at the trials.

Chris O’hare looks in good form and again, if I were BA, I’d be having a conversation with him and Wightman to work together if they final.

Grabarz, again, has the ability to win on the day but his form hasn’t been overly encouraging and so it really does depend on what others might be doing.

Not optimistic for the men and for me it shows a lack of priority for this event by BA …

Lisa
    Participant

Hopefully Laura and Eilish can work together.

For KJT, one weak event out of 5 is a better proposition than 2 out of 7. I hope she can win. The competition in the WICs doesn’t look too bad – as long as she doesn’t defeat herself again.

I’d like to see Morgan set a PB.

Alice
    Participant

The BBC has this habit of focusing totally on the couple of “celebrities”, for instance KJT in the world championship last year. There is this British obsession of talking and making excuses why an athlete has not performed. This has happened to Christie. Everytime I tuned into the BBC on TV and radio, we get the falls, the tears and the blaming of other competitors etc. Yesterday, two days after the fall/disqualification, I turn on to listen to BBC Five Live and surprise, surprise another interview with Christie. Hardly any mention of all the other ice staking GB competitors who have also trained hard etc. The BBC is to blame for all the abuse and negative opinion Christie is receiving. Like the reporting of KJT last year, people are fed up of excuses and the constance hard luck stories!

Gavin
    Participant

Despite it missing some big names I’m really looking forward to the Pentathlon.

If KJT isn’t quite on her game it could get very close. In the last 2 seasons Dadic, Bougard, Williams, Klucinova & Kriszan have all scored in the 4630 – 4770 range.

Until 3 weeks ago (in one of those Czech HJ meetings) Rodriguez had never competed indoors.

SteveK26
    Participant

200sprint

What you are (perhaps) forgetting is that as World Champ Christie was bound to be the focus of attention.
    I don’t recall any of the others looking remotely likely to even make a final.

Say what you like about Christie’s ‘frailties’, but she was a genuine contender and none of our others were in her class.

Analyse what actually happened. She got a penalty in the 500 given against her (happens a lot in the sport); she then got a bad injury in the 1500 which left her clutching at straws in the 1000.

Elise Christie WAS the British story in the speed skating. Nothing much of note (good or bad) happened to any of our other girls. All their races were shown, what more could you expect to see?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 295 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.