This topic contains 127 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  tom 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 128 total)
  • Author

Richard
    Participant

The average age of Fangio’s “legits” is 26. PBs are one way to look at it. Medallists are another. Looking back at the last 3 Globals:

London: WvN 25, Gardiner 21, Haroun 20.

Rio: WvN 24, James 23, Merritt 30.

Beijing: WvN 23, Merritt 29, James 22.

Those average out at just over 24. If we strip out Merritt for being a naughty boy as Fangio has done:

London would remain as was: WvN 25, Gardiner 21, Haroun 20.

Rio would become: WvN 24, James 23, Cedenio 20

Beijing would become: WvN 23, James 22, Santos 21

Average age of medallists across the 3 champs then drops to 22. Suggesting championship 400 running, at least, is indeed a young man’s game as Soviet originally said! Soviet, when I responded with “Lies, damn lies…..” I wasn’t having a dig, just saying that stats can easily be twisted in support of whatever argument you want to put forward! As I have just done, and no doubt someone else will in reply.

John
    Participant

No offence taken, Fangio! Yours was a good post and I felt pretty foolish when you rightly pointed out I was including people under the age of 25!

Lisa
    Participant

Perri SD has signed up for Dancing On Ice. Is she serious about her athletics career any more?

Richard
    Participant

Possibly not the right thread for this, but anyway.

David Parker suspended for inappropriate relationship. Know no more than this so can’t comment and due process will run its course.

Parker the athlete was a yet another talented junior javelin thrower who failed to make a mark as a senior. Won a “soft” WJC with 72.85 and ended up with a 78m PB. Ruined by injury, but should’ve been better.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Richard.

SteveK26
    Participant
    Perri SD has signed up for Dancing On Ice. Is she serious about her athletics career any more?

Well lets hope she can ice-skate, otherwise one bad fall will be curtains as far as her 2018 athletics ambitions are concerned.
    When does ‘Dancing on Ice’ start?

SlowMo
    Participant

Obviously not. 🙁

John
    Participant

Will this affect her eligibility for funding? Presumably, she was due to get relay funding. I recall the Paralympian (Cox?), lost eligibility when she signed up for The Jump. I guess the appearance fee is a larger amount.

John
    Participant

Bizarre that someone who’s suffered so much with injuries would take such a huge risk. Particularly, after showing such amazing commitment to come back and seemed on the verge of reaching a good level again. The recent AW article described the rehab she went through and it was brutal.

Richard
    Participant

Understandable from PSD. She turns 29 next month and, sadly, won’t ever hit the athletics heights she once aspired to.

It’s been a tough few years for her and there’ll be a good fee involved for just a few weeks effort. She has to be looking at her life beyond athletics; she’s a bubbly character and that may well involve media or the “reality” treadmill.

I don’t believe the DOI schedule’s been announced yet; would it necessarily preclude her from having a stab at the Europeans in August?

I wouldn’t waste a second of my life watching DOI, but I can understand why she’s doing it.

SteveK26
    Participant

Agreed, Soviet.
    I’ve got a lot of respect for Perri for making the team last year, and running as fast as she did. I thought that was stage 1 of her rehab over and that she might progress over the next few years.

I’m really not sure how time out for Dancing on Ice will affect her athletics aspirations. Just hope she doesn’t hurt herself.

james
    Participant

It is a great pity that PSD may never reach her full potential in athletics, more so if she has now resigned her self to the ‘reality treadmill’ …. but surely with the injury she sustained, DOI is highly inadvisable … do celebrity BB, do GBBO, do Masterchef, island any other of the shows I care not to watch but will establish her at the celebrity trough …

I would have thought she could have made one last hurrah at the World Indoors, if only the relay, she has been selected for the England Commonwealth team and then signed off …

I hope for her sake she doesn’t get injured …

larkim
    Participant

What’s the celeb injury rate for DOI? It’s not quite “The Jump” is it?

She’s clearly got to look after herself economically, and I can’t really fault anyone for thinking rationally about maximising their earnings potential during their athletics career, especially if the realistic prospect of being a truly global athletics face (where the big money is) isn’t likely any more.

Matt
    Participant

Yohan Blake has said he intends to run the 100m and the short relay at the CWG

james
    Participant

Bumped my own thread as I am building towards this weekend and wanted to see how I was doing in my prediction for the women’s GB selection for the forthcoming World Indoors …

at the beginning of the thread I predicted the following selection

60 DASHER, A Philip
    400 PSD, Laviai Nielsen
    800 Sharp, Oskan-Clarke
    1500 Muir, Weightman
    3000 Judd, McColgan
    60h Ofili, Porter
    4×400 PSD, Nielsen, Jodie Williams, Clark, Agyapong, SBD

60 I think I have the selections spot on if Dasher is available but one of the two young pretenders Neita and Lansiquot might keep them honest…

400 got this very wrong it seems. The Nielsen twins are nowhere to be seen and PSD has been ‘distracted’ but might still make the relay. Eilidh Doyle has started the season well so might be favourite, Zoey Clark has been racing and might be looking for the second berth. I dont know the plans of Agyapong and Bruney but they could figure if running, for relay, with SBD easing her way back and is there a spot for a resurgent Onuora.

800 at the time of my prediction someone did suggest Muir might not be up for consideration for the 800/3000, concentrating on the 1500, so I might be right with my selection.

1500 Sarah Macdonald has done very well, I hope she has left some in the tank for this weekend. I wonder if McColgan will focus on selection for the 3000 as I predicted.

3000 pleased to be wrong if Twell is up for selection, Judd doesnt seem to be running indoors this year.

60h dont know Porter’s intentions but clearly if she is up for selection then only one berth left but with her sister returning after injury it is open to someone from the following pack with Nwawulor leading …

thoughts…

Gavin
    Participant

Laura Muir is definitely targetting the 3000 at the Worlds and the last I heard is considering doubling with the 1500. The 3000 is a straight final on the first evening (with the HJ competitions) so maybe it was scheduled that way to allow her to attempt the double?

In the 800 Mhairi Hendry has run faster than both Sharp & Oskan-Clarke this winter but she’s 0.41s off the standard whilst the other 2 have it from last year.

It looks like Steph Twell is aiming for the worlds. She’s entered for the trials anyway.

james
    Participant

thanks for the update Luckyspikes – it was your weekend update that inspired me to revisit my prediction.

if the timetable allows, then e might be in for a treat with Ms. Muir!

looking at the athletes listings for events

http://extranet.britishathletics.org.uk/Timetable.mvc/EntryList/7910?eventID=158&EventOrder=4

can someone confirm the status has to be ‘accepted’ for the athlete to be running?

I do fear for this forum, gone are the days when the slightest PB would prompt a posting… I do believe an entire thread would have been devoted to Chris O’Hare recent achievements ‘back-in-the-day’ … where is Geoff with his wonderful multi event updates [KJT’s Friday efforts didn’t warrant a mention from anybody ans her lack of SP progress would have sent the forum into mass postings ] and where is Jeremy to mock our ‘flag waving’

I am hoping for a Nicola Sanders emergence moment this weekend… but it is unlikely…

Gavin
    Participant

Yes, that’s my take on it – “Accepted” means that they’ve confirmed they intend to be on the start line.

I see from the invite/acceptance lists that Jess Judd does intend to run the 3000 (but she doesn’t have the standard yet from this year or last.)

Hoping that Stacey Smith is in the 1500 in Lievin tomorrow night or Torun on Thursday (no startlists yet for either meeting) to have a pop at getting the standard before the trials.

I too hope that the spammers haven’t turned people away from the forum. Come back, everyone!

james
    Participant
    thanks for the update Luckyspikes – it was your weekend update that inspired me to revisit my prediction.

if the timetable allows, then e might be in for a treat with Ms. Muir!

looking at the athletes listings for events

http://extranet.britishathletics.org.uk/Timetable.mvc/EntryList/7910?eventID=158&EventOrder=4

can someone confirm the status has to be ‘accepted’ for the athlete to be running?

I do fear for this forum, gone are the days when the slightest PB would prompt a posting… I do believe an entire thread would have been devoted to Chris O’Hare recent achievements ‘back-in-the-day’ … where is Geoff with his wonderful multi event updates [KJT’s Friday efforts didn’t warrant a mention from anybody ans her lack of SP progress would have sent the forum into mass postings ] and where is Jeremy to mock our ‘flag waving’

I am hoping for a Nicola Sanders emergence moment this weekend… but it is unlikely…

Carter , not too much for serious flag waving, I reckon.

O’hare’s performances were positive recently but we have been here before; in globals etc you need to run smart and 3 races often; wonder what O’hares excuses were in London 12017.
    Kjt has proved to me that she will never do serious medalling in the Hep and her pathetic recent effort in the Shot in France just confirm that to me.
    Don’t worry posters a certain expert??? tells us that everything in the British garden is fine, so no problems’ especially with the UKA to look after track and field here.

Anybody going to estimate after this w/e the number of WC medals that GB will win in Brum very soon.

SteveK26
    Participant

Carter

The problem seems to be that duplicate threads are being set up.
    There are now two for the British Indoors, and two very similar 2018 threads.

There was a response to KJT’s recent outing, but it got buried.

jjimbojames
    Participant

Call me mad, but I’ll hold off on KJT until after this summer. If she makes no progress in her throws, I’d agree that she needs to think carefully, but hard to jump in when she’s just had her first winter and may well still have been doing weights etc. Let’s not forget we posted about her being a 7000+ girl, prior to Thiam.

Indoors and Aussie CWG close together means watered down Champs x 2. Euros are UKA’s target for this year, so a number of bigger names will have to perform there for funding

SteveK26
    Participant

This is her second Winter under her new regime, isn’t it Jimbo?

jjimbojames
    Participant

I thought she moved in December 2016, so first full winter? Either way, I still think giving until the end of the summer before judging is fair. She also needs not to have thoughts in her head every time she competes, or will never get it right.

Would love to know how far she throws in training and if she’s replicating that or if it’s really mental and she is way down, hence looking so miserable with the distances etc

Lisa
    Participant

I think it may even have been January 2017.

SteveK26
    Participant

KJT is high jumping well and L-Jumping well.
    And she looks in great physical shape.

But I thought her change of regime was intended to bring about a serious improvement in her weaknesses?

Trevor
    Participant
    But I thought her change of regime was intended to bring about a serious improvement in her weaknesses?

Steve, I’ve radically revised my expectations of KJT. Basically, I now don’t have any. I think it’s a far healthier perspective and means frustration is a thing of the past!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.