This topic contains 612 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  John 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 601 through 613 (of 613 total)
  • Author

Gavin
    Participant

Oh boy, that Men’s 5000 was one for the ages – Selemon Barega 12:43.02, #4 all-time! Gebrhiwet 12:45.8 & Kejelcha 12:46.8! Kejelcha did all the work throwing in 60s laps after half-way.

Can Barega (officially only 18yo) start to challenge Kenny B’s World Record of 12:37.35? He had a load left in the tank in the last 200.

RunUnlimited
    Participant

Well then here’s a bit of a quiz question for you all: When was the last time that Great Britain had an athlete who finished the year (yes, I know there is still the Continental Cup to come) with the leading time in the world at 200m?

Miller-Uibo managed to win the 200m in Brussels in 22.12 just now, which means that unless something extraordinary happens in a week or so time, then Dina Asher Smith will be the fastest over 200m in 2018.

Even at her pomp, I don’t think Kathy Cook ever managed that feat…. Well done to Dina! 🙂

Gavin
    Participant

Three long Diamond League title-winning streaks were ended in Brussels tonight. Sandra Perkovic won 6 in a row and Christian Taylor won all the 7 DL titles before tonight as did Renaud Lavillenie.

james
    Participant
    Oh boy, that Men’s 5000 was one for the ages – Selemon Barega 12:43.02, #4 all-time! Gebrhiwet 12:45.8 & Kejelcha 12:46.8! Kejelcha did all the work throwing in 60s laps after half-way.

Can Barega (officially only 18yo) start to challenge Kenny B’s World Record of 12:37.35? He had a load left in the tank in the last 200.

I accept crazy things happen in athletics, but I am a little sceptical about an 18 y.o. who could not do much and certainly a much slower performance in the World Juniors 5000m 6 weeks ago, and now runs 12.43; the Kenyans are subdued a little now that testing and cheating has become an issue in Kenya.. wonder if and when the full testing out of season will be fully confirmed in Ethiopia.

james
    Participant

of course, neither did the European Champion in mens 1500m, 17 y.o. J.I. win the world junior 1500m in Tampere. !!!!

Gavin
    Participant

I accept crazy things happen in athletics, but I am a little sceptical about an 18 y.o. who could not do much and certainly a much slower performance in the World Juniors 5000m 6 weeks ago, and now runs 12.43; the Kenyans are subdued a little now that testing and cheating has become an issue in Kenya.. wonder if and when the full testing out of season will be fully confirmed in Ethiopia.

Maybe he just had an off day in the World Juniors or perhaps lost his concentration? 90s Chinese performances excepted (they were so off the charts!), my general rule is to enjoy the performances as they happen and try to save any cynicism for later when/if they do test positive.

Lisa
    Participant

Outstanding performance by Laura in the DL final.

Gavin
    Participant

In the women’s steeplechase in Berlin today Colleen Quigley won with a 5.7s PB, 9:10.27, to go #3 on the all-time American list, supplanting Jenny Simpson. Marusa Mismas with a 5.7s Slovenian NR, 9:28.61. Sadly, in a race where 5 of the 12 finishers set PBs, Rosie Clarke shows no further signs of approaching Barbara Parker’s British record – 10th in 9:40.

Hayden
    Participant

Kristal Awuah 11.16 in Berlin to become GB’s second fastest junior ever… 0.02 behind a certain Dina Asher-Smith (11.14)

RunUnlimited
    Participant
    Kristal Awuah 11.16 in Berlin to become GB’s second fastest junior ever… 0.02 behind a certain Dina Asher-Smith (11.14)

Awuah also goes to joint 11th on the overall GB all time list too, joining Andrea Lynch.

Its funny but perhaps Awuah kind of wishes that the World U-20’s were held in August/September this year rather than in July, because since winning a very credible bronze medal in Tampere, she has been running expectionally well and very fast.

Her time today would have earned her a joint gold medal with Jamaica’s Briana Williams in fact!

Now, fingers crossed that Kristal Awuah manages to make the often difficult jump from junior into the senior ranks, because she seems to be a special talent with plenty of upside.

Gavin
    Participant

Really chuffed to see that Jess Coulson is back! Now Jess Piasecki, she’s barely raced since injury in the 2015 Frankfurt Marathon but she won the Trafford 10k in 32:52. Marc Scott won the men’s in 28:57 from Andy Butchart in 29:28.

Continuing the theme of those returning from injury, Dewi Griffiths won the Cardiff 10k in 29:10.

John
    Participant

A terrific win by Laura Muir in the DL final!

Houlihan in 2nd couldn’t make much ground on her in the home straight. I’ve heard/read a lot of Americans handing her the 2019 world title already. This might damp that down a bit.

That’s Our Laura’s 8th sub-4 clocking. The rest of the British athletes in history have a total of 6 such times combined! (Holmes 2, Dobriskey 2, Tullett 1, Budd 1)

a great run, tactically superb

Agreed – she came to the sport late and it has taken her a few years to learn the tactics of MD racing. Due ot exams and the World Indoors, I don’t think she’s been at her best this year, so to come out of it with the two main prizes – ECh and DL – is really impressive. To be fair, though, Hassan would have most likely won had she not had that epic battle the night before with Obiri.

John
    Participant

This is the first time I can recall since Paris in 2012 that anyone has been willing to keep the pace going from the point the rabbit drops out at 3000. Really brave of Kejelcha – he must have been feeling supremely confident to be lapping at 60/61 seconds at that part of the race. Had the other two shared the work, I believe Kejelcha would have won.
    For all those who criticised Mo for not chasing times, this illustrates the risks associated with doing so in a loaded DL field – there could always be someone able to take advantage of your good work. I don’t think we’ll see Kejelcha doing this again any time soon.

Viewing 13 posts - 601 through 613 (of 613 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.