This topic contains 612 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  John 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 613 total)
  • Author

dave
    Participant

Philipo

To answer your question the obvious starting point is see which nations have been finishing top in the medal and placing tables in the past, which brings you here –
    http://www.european-athletics.org/competitions/european-athletics-championships/history/

and the funny thing is that the tables support the position that many posters take against you, i.e. that the current state of GB elite athletics is relatively healthy compared with other eras. Leaving aside the championships which ‘clashed’ with Olympic years (2012 and 2016), GB finished top of the medal table in 2014 with their highest ever medal tally – 23, and 2nd on the placing table. GB’s second biggest total was in 2010 – 20 medals. In 2016 we finished third in the medal table and 1st in the placing table.

No reason why we should not finish high in the tables again. You might expect Germany to revive and do quite well in their backyard, and France, Poland and possibly Spain are the other contenders, with Russia out of the way.

For what it is worth my medal table at this point (i.e. no proper analysis) would read –

GB 7-4-9
    Germany 4-9-6
    Spain 4-6-5
    Poland 4-5-4
    France 4-3-8

In 1990 EC in Split, with fewer events in the womens than today, the combined East Germans and the USSR teams got 51 medals and yet we Brits managed 9 Gold 5 and 4 Silver and Bronze… very favourable to these days I would suggest. Those 51 medals might suggest surely that without EG and Russian cheats we would have improved a bit on our medal tally then (Havent done a full analysis on this though)
    Bares favourably with today I <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>think.The</span> standards of the German at the present on the track is pretty poor and ANA will get a few medals for sure.

if the east germans and russians werent there we would have possibly picked up a couple more bronzes, there were many athletes ahead of the brits even with the east germans and russians taken out of it.

Hayden
    Participant

Rachel Miller ran a legal 11.23 at the Lee Valley Sprints event (a massive new PB – old one was 11.45 and her SB was 11.67!!)

Gavin
    Participant

Johannes
    Participant

Not as favoured as Lysenko, but found this omission interesting.

European Championships 2018: Swiss sprinter Pascal Mancini banned for ‘racist’ posts

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Johannes.

james
    Participant

the new DL timetables now out and an improvement on the usual timings at first glance; the USA DL wherever it takes place has been moved to a July date , better than the late May of previous years, and the European top meets have been changed to earlier for the Scandinavian meets, with Paris much later and our two DL meets follow each other, London 2 days and then Brum.

Gavin
    Participant

ThrowsFan
    Participant

A long standing javelin record was demolished yesterday at Lee Valley.

The South of England U17 Championship record of 68.50m held by Gary Jenson since 1983 was beaten by Max Law when he threw his second best distance of the year, 72.67m!

Max is having a truly remarkable year as he has had the most 70M+ throws by an U17 ever!

Will he take James Whiteaker’s National Record of 77.12m? We shall have to wait and see!!

Richard
    Participant

Good stuff from Max. Next year will be the telling one for him as he switches to the 800. Already got a 63 PB with that so very encouraging.

I threw against Gary back in the day. Left hander IIRC, definite possessor of a mullet. Another of our litany of talented javelin throwers who found loads of different ways to get themselves injured and never quite achieve what they might have done. Ended up with a 78 PB at age 22.

ThrowsFan
    Participant

Looking at how Max has been progressing over the years, he does seem to be on the right path.

49m U13
    65m U15
    75m U17

His 63m throw with the 800g puts him number 10 in the world and number 3 in Europe as an U18 which is encouraging to say the least! Given that he is still a first year U18 it is even more encouraging!

Gavin
    Participant

Good meetings today (4pm) in Chorzow, Poland and tomorrow (7.05pm) in Rovereto, Italy with plenty of Brits involved. View the document for details of live streams & entry lists at https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lwm0pphcty8at7/Live_athletics_streams_18-23_Aug.docx?dl=0 (I have only recently noticed that when you view the document online, the links are clickable!)

In Chorzow there’s Semenya in the 400 vs a good field, Steven Gardiner returns in the men’s equivalent. Bosse, Kszczot & Lewandowski in the 800. Good W 1500 with McDonald, McColgan, Ennaoui, Martinez & Grace. Herman & PamBam in the 100H. Some very good field events too.

The women’s events in Rovereto especially are very good. In the 100 Lansiquot & Neita vs Bryant, Gardner & Ahye. Laviai Nielsen & Onoura in the 400 with Ghafoor & Stepter. Our Laura & Lynsey Sharp vs Pryshschepa, Lamote, Buchel & Nakaayi in the 800. Russell, Beesley, McAslan, Folurunso & the Ukrainians in the 400H. Like the look of the Men’s 5000 with McSweyn, Wanders, Birgen, Crippa, Mechaal, Robinson. In the 110H there’s Levy, PML & a good supporting cast.

Gavin
    Participant

Ha, McColgan, Martinez & Grace not starting in the 1500 in Chorzow today.

Gavin
    Participant

Another very good run by Sarah McDonald – 3rd in Chorzow, with 4:03.36 (just outside her new PB), behind winner Colleen Quigley 4:03.02, & Sofia Ennaoui.

Ronnie Baker 9.87 PB + WL, Semenya 50.06, Steven Gardiner 44.43.

From what I could gather off the commentary, Adam Kszczot’s nickname is “The Professor”.

Jeremy
    Participant

Poor Laura Muir must be really feeling the strain of a long season. She fell way to the back of the 800m in the last 300m in Rovereto. She just about jogged to the line. Looked knackered.

jjimbojames
    Participant

She’d be better off having a rest and focusing on the DL final

james
    Participant

Yes, and put an embargo on the ‘media’ claiming she is aiming to break this record or that every time she runs…

Jeremy
    Participant

Carterhatch – an embargo might not be on the cards :), but her having a rest is probably the best medicine. As soon as the gun went off she was asleep, and spent all her energy trying to get into contention for just the first lap. Not seen her in that shape before.

Richard
    Participant

I suppose I’m duty bound to note that James Whiteaker has gone top of the national rankings with 75.27.

He’s still a teenager and it’s his second furthest ever, so some hope. Harry Hughes also looks like he’s on his way back from injury.

No idea what’s happened to Mortimore at all. He hasn’t thrown this year and he has no social media presence. Assume its injury. Hopefully we’ll see him back.

Richard
    Participant
    I suppose I’m duty bound to note that James Whiteaker has gone top of the national rankings with 75.27.

I do like a bit of self flagellation, so worth noting that this will have him ranked 130= in the world and would only be good enough for 8th spot in Germany, 13th in Finland and a mere 7th in Japan.

Good luck to James, but the event really is at an all time low. Not that any of you joggers care! 😥

james
    Participant

Yes, and put an embargo on the ‘media’ claiming she is aiming to break this record or that every time she runs…

LM will train hard for probably an unnecessary double in Glasgow when she should bear in mind a long 2019 season with the Doha WC at the end. I do not think she will be that special in some great company next week end.

james
    Participant

I just read Tim Hutchins article in AW which could have been written by a staff member of the mag. A lot of exaggerated comments from a so called expert..

1. The size of our team helped somewhat the GB points total and 18 points came from some second grade performances by Seddon, Scott,Douglas,Wright,McKinna,Bramble.
    2.The performances of our GB smaller team in 2014 in Zurich was far better in medals terms than that achieved in Berlin with good conditions and a faster track. Recall we got in 2014 in individual events , male 6-3-3 medals and female 3-2-2 and then look what happened 12 months later in Beijing!! So his point about “doom mongers” predicting far less success in Doha is stupid and he should know better.
    Our excellent performances in the two individual sprints, male and female, were fine but there were other efforts which showed lopsided results.
    3. His comments about our broad brush success ignores the poor GB mens stuff in many events and less so with our women. jus lok at a number of poor efforts by our men.
    4. TH’s comments about the high standard of performances in the Champs by the competitors from the other countries will be shown to be incorrect when Doha comes around; European throws are and will continue to be very high in the WC, but the standard on the track, especially by the men, was nothing to get excited about and that’s why the freakish 17 y.o. won the 1500m and 5000m races within 24 hours ; the standard is and was awful. If Mo in his pomp would have aimed for those two races within 24 hours the BA people would have never allowed it and that attempted double would have been regarded on this site as crazy.

Undeniable that a lot of the actual competitive efforts in the track and field were fine but lets not get carried away just because Dina did a great 100/200m double and the guy sprinters did well.
    Lets remember that our very tiny GB elite still have not yet won medals at globals.

Jeremy
    Participant

I’m with you Philipo. Our women have some hope, but, at least for now, our men are concentrated in the sprints (with MHS being alone in the 400). We rely on single ‘stars’ coming through. I have hope for Duckworth and Miller to add to the men’s side, but otherwise (unless I am having a blank), we are on a par with other second tier countries.

david robbie
    Participant
    I’m with you Philipo. Our women have some hope, but, at least for now, our men are concentrated in the sprints (with MHS being alone in the 400). We rely on single ‘stars’ coming through. I have hope for Duckworth and Miller to add to the men’s side, but otherwise (unless I am having a blank), we are on a par with other second tier countries.

langford, butchart, miller and duckworth all have the potential to win world medals in future

james
    Participant

I am sorry but I have seen nothing in Langford so suggest he is a world beater, Daniel Rowden looks to have more potential…

david robbie
    Participant
    I am sorry but I have seen nothing in Langford so suggest he is a world beater, Daniel Rowden looks to have more potential…

4 in the worlds at 21 years old behind a doped up kenyan indicates medal potential to me, he might even get that bronze depending on what happens to bett

Jeremy
    Participant

Carterhatch – agree with you that Rowden looks like one of our best candidates for the future. There’s definitely something special about him. Maybe Yee (if he stays in athletics). Callum Hawkins, too, is a world class prospect. As for Langford, he blows hot and cold. Otherwise, outside of the sprints, we’re left waiting.

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 613 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.