This topic contains 612 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  John 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 613 total)
  • Author

RunUnlimited
    Participant
    Wind was illegal (+2.4) but Prescod ran 9.88. Definitely the biggest male sprint prospect we have at the moment

Agreed 110%!

Also also…. Whoever is coaching Prescod…. GET HIM TO RUN THE 200M FOR CHRIST’S SAKE!

dave
    Participant

Wind was illegal (+2.4) but Prescod ran 9.88. Definitely the biggest male sprint prospect we have at the moment

Agreed 110%!

Also also…. Whoever is coaching Prescod…. GET HIM TO RUN THE 200M FOR CHRIST’S SAKE!

best male sprint prospect since linford?

Hayden
    Participant

11.06 (+1.9) for Dina in the 100m.

RunUnlimited
    Participant

A fine women’s 100m, with Ta Lou winning the battle of the Ivory Coast as she pips Ahoure on the line, running 10.88 helped by a just legal 1.9 m/s following wind. Elaine Thompson was third in 10.98, and Dina Asher-Smith sets a 11.06 season’s best coming in 6th place.

RunUnlimited
    Participant

Agreed 110%!

best male sprint prospect since linford?

Considering what we’ve just seen, and what he has done in the last year or so? Yeah, I’d say that would be the case.

dave
    Participant

decent run by muir there and a decent run by dina too

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  dave.

Hayden
    Participant

3:59.30 for Laura Muir who takes 2nd place. I’d say she definitely would’ve won that had she not been boxed in on the last lap. Good to see her being able to focus on running now that she’s graudated.

SteveK26
    Participant

Prescod is probably the biggest sprint sensation we have ever produced. (And I love Linford).

What on earth he will run over 200 this year?

KJT is now (probably) 400 points adrift of Thiam. Slim chance of her ever winning a global gold now.
    Should have moved events years ago when it was apparent she has no aptitude for throws.

Will she ever take the hint?

Happy for PSD, but can her body ever hold out for a full season?

dave
    Participant
    Prescod is probably the biggest sprint sensation we have ever produced. (And I love Linford).

KJT is now (probably) 400 points adrift of Thiam. Slim chance of her ever winning a global gold now.
    Should have moved events years ago when it was apparent she has no aptitude for throws.

lets see how she does in the euros before she chucks it entirely, i wonder what philipo will moan about when he comes on? im guessing a comparison between linfords medals and prescods B-)

Gavin
    Participant

Thomas Staines won the NCAA D2 title with 1:46.56, a new PB and Championship Record. His splits were 52.56 and 54.00.

SteveK26
    Participant

Robo

I think KJT can medal at the Euro’s, but unlikely to be gold.
    I would predict a deficit of at least 350 pts.behind Thiam.

dave
    Participant
    Robo

I think KJT can medal at the Euro’s, but unlikely to be gold.
    I would predict a deficit of at least 350 pts.behind Thiam.

no arguments there, but if she pbs at the euros she should carry on, ennis would have no hope of a gold against thiam at her best

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  dave.

RunUnlimited
    Participant

lets see how she does in the euros before she chucks it entirely, i wonder what philipo will moan about when he comes on? im guessing a comparison between linfords medals and prescods B-)

Aye, let’s see what the European Championships bring for KJT.

However, as I said earlier on today, KJT is going to have to start throwing her shot putt at least past 14 meters now, if not over 14.50, with how consistent Thiam and Vetter are at going 15 meters+… And on top of that, the Javelin will similarly have to become seriously better… Its no good just about scraping over 40 meters – getting past 45 meters in the event is now looking like a MUST for Kat to stay in contention for either gold or silver.

And it must be noted Vetter is a better 100m hurdler than KJT, whilst Thaim’s is only a little bit slower than KJT. Vetter’s high jump is pretty solid, so wouldn’t lose too many points to an in-form KJT – no need to mention Thiam after her amazing jump today.
    The 200m is about the only event that KJT has any sort of noticeable advantage over either Vetter or Thiam, so she can get some points back there.

After that though, the Long Jump is pretty even stevens, with Thiam and Vetter having improved in the last couple of years such that even an outstanding 6.80+ performance from KJT won’t cause too many lost points.

Same with the 800m…

So unless KJT’s training in France has helped unveil a hitherto unknown ability to actually perform in the heavy throws, then I’m not too hopeful about her future prospects in the heptathlon.

RunUnlimited
    Participant

Noah Lyles is the real deal… 19.69 with a just-about-legal 2.0 m/s following wind as he wins the 200m impressively. Very good stuff!

james
    Participant

KJT will struggle to win even a medal in globals,imo. Doesn’t improve, and others will.
    Very poor performance by Bradshaw who maybe thinks she is better than she is actually, mainly cos there is no other decent PVer in this country to challenge her yet. Maybe Caudery will catch up soon.
    Why is Pozzi been so poor in his last few races. Beats me.

james
    Participant

Excellent effort by Prescod in the States; leaves many awaiting something in the low 9.90s, maybe, later this season.
    Lyles is hot at this time but I will await eagerly how he does in mid July and August.
    Sound efforts by the shot putters Crouser, Haratyk etc.
    Muir performed well all in all at this time of the season after her finals and we will see how she performs in other DLS later in the season.
    Of all the good performances around this w/e the one that caught my attention was Rai Benjamin sub 48 secs in the NCAA Regionals plus St Hilaire in the 400m in 44.55.Benjamin is from the Antilles I think.
    Fantastic performance of the meet in Eugene was young Jacob Ingebrisen in 3.52 and bits and he is not 18 till mid autumn.

tom
    Participant

I love watching Prescod run, makes me feel like a kid again. Hard working, humble, talented and learning fast.

Matt
    Participant

I thought Baker was as good as Lyles, that was superb, and unexpected. As others have noted US sprinting is back in the ascendancy, no Jamaicans took part in either the 100 or 200. Blake their only real threat ATM, but they are producing some very good 400 runners.

Excellent run from Prescod again, I will be interested to see when he and Jonas Dodoo decide to bring some 200s into the schedule. His 100 is improving all the time but will there ever be enough track for him to win a global title?

A good outing by McCartney the young kiwi I thought

james
    Participant

I don’t think humble matters a damn; UB certainly not in that category. Prescod needs to sharpen up his first 50 and then his great finish drive will put him amongst the best.
    Noted that Miller lost his WL in the Hammer today to Fajdek in Halle. Miller threw 77.09 , a lot better than his last effort. A really inconsistent athlete.

Matt
    Participant

Thiam is 56 points up on her score from last year’s Hypo, courtesy of Steven Mills on twitter

tom
    Participant

KJT is now a 6800 heptathlete at best, while Thiam is a 6800 performer at worst. Careers moving in opposite directions. Thiam is a rock solid competitor under pressure while Kat is Kat. Watching her throw the shot is a really painful experience.

Richard
    Participant
    A good outing by McCartney the young kiwi I thought

Yes, really enjoy watching her. Unfortunately I’ve got to the stage where Bradshaw disinterests me.

Prescod is certainly a very exciting talent.

Another very big effort from Crouser, 22.53.

Decent outing from Dina, but you can’t get too excited by 6th. Even her NR would only have been good enough for 4th.

hemlock
    Participant

LOL. I can’t tell whether some of you guys are trolling, or really don’t understand how sport works.
    😉

How to be competitive at sport: be talented, somewhere near your best, and hold your nerve.

It doesn’t matter if you are Kat, Nafi or Gareth Bale. If you don’t have all three, you are not winning.
    If you do have all three, (the first of which all of those people do – the middle one depends on the day, for Nafi too), then you are in with at very least a puncher’s chance of winning. And you should never ask for more than that.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  hemlock.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  hemlock.

Geoff
    Participant

After a 6.62 long jump Thiam has a good chance of going over 7000 points.

I wouldn’t write KJT off just yet! I’m possibly the only one who saw her Commonwealth shot put as a training exercise as part of an attempt to rebuild her technique. She can throw consistently over 13m and I think throw high 40s in the javelin. She is on a par with Thiam in hurdles, a fraction behind in high jump, much better in the 200m/long jump/800m. It’s possible she can surprise a few people!

SteveK26
    Participant

Hemlock
    Wow, that is some philosophy.
    We all must be trolls then so its good to know at least you have such an in depth grasp on how to be competitive at sport!

But hang on a mo…

If you are only ‘somewhere near your best’ is that likely to be good enough these days?
    And if you are ‘talented’ but maybe not quite ‘elite’ level how does that work at the top end?
    Oh and I guess if you are Gareth Bale but playing alongside a bunch of duffers that might dull your chances of winning?

”I think I’d better think it out again”

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 613 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.