This topic contains 177 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  david 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 178 total)
  • Author

SteveK26
    Participant
    Very impressed by Ojie Ebdoburun, but it this way the guy is currently a tenth ahead of where he was this time last year at 60m.

I’m calling 9.9 outdoors…..

I don’t know really know what to make of the whole indoors, especially as some have chosen the commonwealth games instead.

Edoburun won’t be seen on the Gold Coast, either, as far as I know.

This lad is a serious talent, but doesn’t get picked very often. Anyone know why?
    Maybe Brisbane wasn’t a priority for him, but he seems in very good shape one month out.

I hope he has a blinding outdoor season and gets his name on the team sheet for the Europeans.

Justrunfast
    Participant

He’s always been in or around standards but just misses out in finals, a few 4th places here and their at senior trials.

But now his start seems to be a lot better him being on peoples shoulders at 60m rather than behind will be huge for him

SteveK26
    Participant

JRF
    What you say is true.
    His top end speed has been very good for the last couple of years, and taking into account his age and ranking I’m just a bit surprised he has been chiefly ignored for relays. He would have been in my squads certainly last year , if not before.

Richard
    Participant
    Racewalking

It looks awkward, virtually everyone who walks fast is ‘lifting’, and it takes forever.

Whoever invented a 50k event for major champs must have a warped mind! If they used modern technology to detect cheating the event would be turned upside down, but for some (political?) reason they choose not to.

I wouldn’t have it all (sorry Tom).

With you 100% Steve.

I fast forwarded through the walking, but saw the close up on Bosworth’s action. Bet virtually everyone else does the same too, to a lesser extent. It’s just not credible. I’m sure technology can solve the problem, but even then…..

james
    Participant

barring pozzi and sawyers who underperformed? – our better athletes all put in reasonable performances and the weaker ones performed as expected, less than 15 of the of the roughly 100 strong scottish and english commonwealth games teams competed today, ujah was 0.04 off his pb and gemili equalled his

There were not too many top names from GB, fair enough.
    Pozzi and Sawyers, as you say, underperformed.

So did Doyle, Anuora, Langford, Sharp and Ujah.
    And Yasmin Miller missed an opportunity to run fast by falling over.

The best British male sprinter turned out to be the man continually snubbed by UK Athletics, ie Edoburun. The BBC didn’t interview him either, yet they took the trouble to talk to the two who finished behind him.

I cant find too much good spin to put on that meet from a GB point of view, sadly. Lets file it in the mediocre basket, and hope for better in Birmingham.

Quite correct… mediocre for sure.
    It must unusual if not without precedent, for a country, supposedly second best in the world(???), to host a meet in doors without a single victory( I don’t recognise that “walking” nonsense by Bosworth) and mostly pathetic stuff in fourth and fifth etc. The usual excuse about it being a week before the worlds did not stop us enjoying some quality athletes in Birmingham, however.
    The optimists here will need it in spades this w/e and in a months time in Oz.

SteveK26
    Participant

I consider myself to be a ”realist flag-waver”, Philipo.

I think we might do OK in the end.

Cant wait for the Gold Coast, as much for the swimming as the athletics….

Trevor
    Participant
    Cant wait for the Gold Coast, as much for the swimming as the athletics…

Steve, is there a swimming website/forum you could recommend?

SteveK26
    Participant

Trevor

just google …UK Swimming Forum…

Its the only one I know, and a place for some good debate, some bl**dy good rows, some really silly stuff, and a lot of technical stuff.

I just use the ‘General Chat Forum’ from its menu.

I’ll be setting up a Gold Coast thread for sure, nearer the time. It would be great to have you on board.

james
    Participant

I can vouch for the UK Swimming Forum, I only lurk but half the fun is having Stevek26 in swimming mode … I dont know about you lot but I also appreciate the pullbuoy blog site for his occasional UK centric articles, and swimmingvortex has great peices but you do have to register these days …

Meanwhile, next few days also has the World Indoor cycling going on!! Busy times

ps… if you like tennis you might also like to lurk on

http://britishtennis.activeboard.com/f163249/british-men-discussion-section/

SteveK26
    Participant

Thanks for all that , Carterhatch.

Craig Lord on SwimVortex writes a lot of interesting stuff, especially on the corruption at the very top of FINA. (a subject close to my heart).

The world rankings bit on it is very user friendly. I think I probably visit Swim Vortex more than the British Swimming Site.

I’d like to be able to watch the cycling as well, (perhaps I could record it). I’ll have to research who is showing it (Eurosport?).

james
    Participant

BBC are covering the cycling, starting 5.30 today and on red button, see link for schedule

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/42283495

I was hoping for a preview of the swimming this weekend on Pullbuoy to whet the appetite …

ps Well done Dai Greene ! not surprised about Rutherford’s withdrawl… good luck to Team GB at the WIC in Birmingham

SteveK26
    Participant

Great to see Dai Greene running well again, 49.5 is a big step in the right direction.
    Well done to Team Wales for giving him the opportunity.

The cycling I notice is on Eurosport as well. So I’ll record it.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  SteveK26.

james
    Participant

on that point I am with you; the swimming will be very interesting with the Aussies in their own time and with home support; our swimmers will do better later in the season in the Europeans.

SteveK26
    Participant

Pity about Max Litchfield pulling out.

Thats likely to cost Team England 3 medals (two of them being gold).

james
    Participant

… or could it be an opening for a replacement swimmer … someone like Imogen Clark – as wasn’t there a set maximum for the swimmers that could be selected…

SteveK26
    Participant

Doubt they would select Imogen now.
    Possibility they may want to find someone else for the 4×200 free. Litchfield will leave a big hole in that.
    See what happens at the Edinburgh meet, I guess. (if its not canceled due to the weather).

Gavin
    Participant

D1 NCAA Indoor Championships entries, happening on 9-10 March at College Station, Texas.

SteveK26
    Participant
    … or could it be an opening for a replacement swimmer … someone like Imogen Clark – as wasn’t there a set maximum for the swimmers that could be selected…

As suspected they had to replace Max in the 4×200 relay.

A good choice in Nick Grainger, although he should really have been selected from the outset.

james
    Participant

on that point I am with you; the swimming will be very interesting with the Aussies in their own time and with home support; our swimmers will do better later in the season in the Europeans.

The first days results in the Nationals in Scotland indicate that our swimmers English or Scottish must be in very heavy training for the CG; slow compared to last couple of years. Strangely enough British swimmers had their WC trials last year in April and the performances were very promising.
    Only the first day so far but some moderate stuff for syre.
    The Aussies have been firing on all cylinders at their Trials and will in my view be very much top dog in the pool this time round.

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

Our elite swimmers like Guy, O’Connor, Scott etc etc were never likely to be swimming particularly fast in Edinburgh. They were among the fifteen swimmers who were selected for the Gold Coast months and months ago, and had no need to turn up at the Winter meet in December either. They can prepare without having to be eyeball’s out at any trials. They will be in good nick in Brisbane, which is of course what we want.

james
    Participant
    Philipo

Our elite swimmers like Guy, O’Connor, Scott etc etc were never likely to be swimming particularly fast in Edinburgh. They were among the fifteen swimmers who were selected for the Gold Coast months and months ago, and had no need to turn up at the Winter meet in December either. They can prepare without having to be eyeball’s out at any trials. They will be in good nick in Brisbane, which is of course what we want.

Time will tell; in a months time they will have to perform at summer level. A very tall order as I feel sure we will see.

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

What I suspect we will see are the 15 (now 14) swimmers who were pre-selected will be close to PB’s in Brisbane.
    The 17 added after the Winter Champs in December will almost certainly not be able to double-peak. Its my firm opinion that the vast majority of the second wave will significantly underperform.

(these comments apply to just the Team England swimmers).

Gavin
    Participant

Great news! The 2 main track sessions at the NCAA D1 Indoor Championships are live on BT Sport 2 next weekend:

Friday night from 11.30pm to 3.30am
    Saturday night from 10pm to 1am

Timetable – https://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/track-field/results/d1/indoor18/index.htm (Texas is 6 hours behind the UK)
    Entry lists – https://www.flotrack.org/events/6051077-2018-di-ncaa-indoor-championships/entries

Ian
    Participant
    Great news! The 2 main track sessions at the NCAA D1 Indoor Championships are live on BT Sport 2 next weekend:

Friday night from 11.30pm to 3.30am
    Saturday night from 10pm to 1am

Timetable – https://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/track-field/results/d1/indoor18/index.htm (Texas is 6 hours behind the UK)
    Entry lists – https://www.flotrack.org/events/6051077-2018-di-ncaa-indoor-championships/entries

Tim Duckworth is entered in the heptathlon, so it will be interesting to follow his progress. No Commonwealth Games for him? Ashley Bryant and John Lane are picked I see. Not sure if Duckworth actually finished a Decathlon last year.

david
    Participant
Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.