This topic contains 177 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  david 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 178 total)
  • Author

Gavin
    Participant

Is it too much to ask for PBs and SBs on the introduction graphics? Instead we have the athlete’s country effectively repeated because it’s also above with the 3 letter code.
    You’d think one of the former athletes on the BBC team would have a word with the production team?

tom
    Participant

7.53m LJ to add to yesterday’s HJ for Dominic Ogbechie, and I thought the 200m was his best event.

Gavin
    Participant

Sweden’s Khaddi Sagnia sneaking up as a contender for Long Jump gold in Birmingham? 6.92 NR in the 1st round. She’ll also be in the 60 Hurdles next week.

Gavin
    Participant

Wow, on that slow-mo Bosworth wasn’t even close to maintaining contact with the ground!

Lisa
    Participant

I can’t take the walk all 5hat seriously, but well done to Tom Bosworth for a new WR.

Lisa
    Participant

Super run by Dina there.

Gavin
    Participant

Neither Thompson nor Schippers looked good in the heats.

Matt
    Participant

I didn’t see that NR from Chepkoech coming, that was impressive, Dibaba will have her work cut out next weekend.

Some very good sprinting by our athletes, Ojie beating CJ twice, Dina looks in fine shape for the Commies, fingers crossed Shaunae MU agrees to do the 200.

SteveK26
    Participant

The meet wasn’t a great confidence builder for the British athletes competing next week.

It looked likely that Dasher would break the British indoor record after that semi, but she seemed to tighten up in the final.

I just can’t be fussed about race walking, but was that the only win all day for GB?

I might have to scale my expectations radically downward after that…….

Lisa
    Participant

Chepkoech was very impressive.

SteveK26
    Participant

…..why wasn’t Edoburun interviewed after beating Ujah and Gemili?

He was the one that got a PB.

james
    Participant

it would be illuminating to hear the positive spin put on this meet and more particularly the poor and second rate performances by our athletes in their own backyard…DAS is only one athlete and she will be somewhere else very soon.
    Our male sprinters and the great Ujah… awful. The whole range of those British efforts at 400m, 800m, 1500m, short hurdles etc… too indifferent to say much about.Didnt notice anything inspirational.
    As for my expectations from the British athletes in Brum , in Gold coast… least said.

No doubt Mr.Black will spin out some ……. that’s what he is paid for after all.

james
    Participant

At least a bit of comfort via Zarnel Hughes the British ? sprinter who beat Blake in a WL outdoor 10.01. in Jamaica

dave
    Participant

barring pozzi and sawyers who underperformed? – our better athletes all put in reasonable performances and the weaker ones performed as expected, less than 15 of the of the roughly 100 strong scottish and english commonwealth games teams competed today, ujah was 0.04 off his pb and gemili equalled his

Matt
    Participant

I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from today’s performances, a lot of our medal prospects for next week weren’t there.

Speed
    Participant

Am I alone in finding it really distasteful and at the very least unsporting that the BBC and AW are celebrating the setting of a World Best 3k Walk, when to everyone that watched the event ……apart from the judges!! could plainly see that the winner was lifting i.e. cheating!!
    In almost every sport these days there is some sort of video playback to assist officials make the right decision. The BBC clearly showed that Tom Bosworth was running. By his own admission he said that it was difficult for the human eye to see that the correct technique was being used and yet moments before slow mo had shown that he was deceiving the officials.
    Is it time for some sort of modern technology to be applied if the human eye can’t cope?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  Speed.

SteveK26
    Participant

Racewalking

It looks awkward, virtually everyone who walks fast is ‘lifting’, and it takes forever.

Whoever invented a 50k event for major champs must have a warped mind! If they used modern technology to detect cheating the event would be turned upside down, but for some (political?) reason they choose not to.

I wouldn’t have it all (sorry Tom).

Gavin
    Participant

It did seem to be one of the more obvious examples of lifting. Usually when you see the slow-mos, if they’re lifting it’s by an inch or less and understandably would be very difficult to see by the human eye. Bosworth’s foot, however, must have been 3 or 4 inches in the air before his other heel was striking.

It was reported in late 2016 that the IAAF are working on “electronic insoles” with a view to trialling a system in competitions ahead of the 2019 IAAF World Championships:

An electronic detection system project to create a definitive judging system for race walking events in time for the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) 2019 World Championships has now moved to the design stage, the IAAF Council heard on the first of their two days of meetings here.

Contracts have been signed to construct two pre-industrial demonstration prototypes featuring shoe insoles with sensors to detect loss of contact by race walkers.

Walkers must have one foot in contact with the ground at all times.

Any failures to do so are currently detected by race walking judges and sanctioned with an escalation of punishments culminating in disqualification when three different judges call a foul on a competitor.

One of the prototypes will be used in training and another for competition, with the timeline of the project being 18 months.

The results of this project will then be considered by the Race Walking Committee in order to draw-up a rule change proposal which would then need to be considered by the Technical Committee and approved by Council.

The goal is to be able to trial a system in competitions ahead of the 2019 IAAF World Championships.

Source: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1044253/electronic-insoles-to-judge-lifting-in-race-walking-come-a-step-closer-iaaf-council-hears

tom
    Participant

Race walking, why don’t they transfer it to the Winter Olympics. I don’t watch either, it takes forever, and there’s loads of airtime to fill.

SteveK26
    Participant

Luckyspikes

The technology is surely available already.

They just choose not to use it. If I had my cynical hat on I’d say there was a powerful lobby who don’t want to use it.

Gavin
    Participant
    Luckyspikes

The technology is surely available already.

They just choose not to use it. If I had my cynical hat on I’d say there was a powerful lobby who don’t want to use it.

Maybe.

As an endurance event it’s something I want to enjoy but, as it stands, I just can’t trust what I’m seeing is fair (any doping issues aside!)

Technology could solve that and I think the spectacle would be improved if they linked the data up to on-screen graphics where you could see in real-time which of the leaders has a warning/s. At the moment viewers are at the mercy of the commentators who often don’t seem sure themselves about who has been warned.

larkim
    Participant

Surely they don’t use it because the rules are drafted as to be judged by the “naked eye”. Slo-mo replays, contact shoes etc are all irrelevant if the test to be applied by a referee on the course is their naked eye view only.

Plus, too much fixation on the ground contact – the straight leg element is equally (if not more) important in the RW technique.

Part of me shares the cynicism that it might be difficult to get a good enough cabal of referees to judge a “sprint” walk like that in the face of a home crowd and an exhibition race, but equally if performances are being certified WRs then all the right levels of judging are in place – there’s a large conspiracy theory being conjured up if everyone is “in” on the act to promote Bosworth because he’s a nice chap (I doubt he has the financial means to buy them all off!!!)

Just like the heavy throws, RWing doesn’t really interest me much. But that doesn’t stop me from respecting the achievements.

In the end, the only one who’ll get found out is Bosworth himself if he finds he races fast in the UK with UK judges, but internationally gets DQ’d all over the place because different standards are applied.

Gavin
    Participant

A world U20 indoor record for Sydney McLaughlin yesterday, 50.52, breaking Sanya R-R’s record. Lynna Irby who’s only 19 herself was just behind in 50.62.
    An hour later, Irby won the 200 in 22.66 WL.

Armand Duplantis broke another record (5.88 for a World U20 indoor record) in a historically deep PV competition at Clermont-Ferrand – 8 men cleared 5.81 with a further 2 at 5.73!

SteveK26
    Participant
    barring pozzi and sawyers who underperformed? – our better athletes all put in reasonable performances and the weaker ones performed as expected, less than 15 of the of the roughly 100 strong scottish and english commonwealth games teams competed today, ujah was 0.04 off his pb and gemili equalled his

There were not too many top names from GB, fair enough.
    Pozzi and Sawyers, as you say, underperformed.

So did Doyle, Anuora, Langford, Sharp and Ujah.
    And Yasmin Miller missed an opportunity to run fast by falling over.

The best British male sprinter turned out to be the man continually snubbed by UK Athletics, ie Edoburun. The BBC didn’t interview him either, yet they took the trouble to talk to the two who finished behind him.

I cant find too much good spin to put on that meet from a GB point of view, sadly. Lets file it in the mediocre basket, and hope for better in Birmingham.

Justrunfast
    Participant

Very impressed by Ojie Ebdoburun, but it this way the guy is currently a tenth ahead of where he was this time last year at 60m.

I’m calling 9.9 outdoors…..

I don’t know really know what to make of the whole indoors, especially as some have chosen the commonwealth games instead.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.