Athletics Weekly

That spoils a good day out

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... nt-events/

That spoils a good day out

Postby roadrunner » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:55 pm

Just when I was looking forward to seeing Paula Radcliffe run I read this on ukathletics.net

Paula Radcliffe is out of the National Road Relays in Sutton Park on Saturday 22 October – but the races are still important for athletes wishing to join her in the Norwich Union Great Britain and Northern Ireland Teams at the Chiba Ekiden Road Relays in Japan next month.

Radcliffe, whose moderate 10km in London last weekend was caused by the onset of a cold, has accepted medical advice not to run for her club, Bedford and County, so that she can rest before resuming training in readiness for racing next month.
roadrunner

Postby jason ward » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:05 pm

she is a wet lettuce she could have used it as a training run and still beat eveyone
jason ward

Postby roadrunner » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:12 pm

You sure about that? Even Donna Riding and Emma McIntyre of Sale Harriers manchester? I hear these girls are flying!!!!
roadrunner

Postby jason ward » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:23 pm

if they keep of the emails they may make the start
jason ward

Postby alf tupper » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:46 pm

:(
Come off it!! She could have run with her left leg amputated and stll set a course record!!! Ah well as long as she still turns up to cheer her team mates on....
alf tupper

Postby pegleg » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:48 pm

jason ward wrote:she is a wet lettuce

But a World Champion wet lettuce. What have you achieved?

I think she's learned from the past (Athens, Leiria, etc) that racing when not at full fitness can be risky. Although I'm a bit disappointed she won't be racing at Sutton Park, I'd much rather she took some time out, got over her illness and then put in a good run for GBR at the Chiba Ekiden relays.
pegleg

Postby alf tupper » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:53 pm

pegleg wrote:Chiba Ekiden relays

That top quality world championship / olympic / european / commonwealth event!!
alf tupper

Postby pegleg » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:01 pm

alf tupper wrote:
pegleg wrote:Chiba Ekiden relays

That top quality world championship / olympic / european / commonwealth event!!

??? Your point is...?

I never said it was a championship event. It is, however, an international one and is invariably more important and of a higher quality than the friggin 4-stage road relays!
pegleg

Postby roadrunner » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:07 am

Is it really that much of an event?

If shes ill, shes ill. But how ill is she? Or is this because she ran slow at the 10k last weekend and feared the sale girls, as we all do!!!!
roadrunner

Postby pegleg » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:43 am

roadrunner wrote:Is it really that much of an event?

Look at the entrant lists. Each year Ethiopia, Kenya and Japan send top teams (Tulu, Kidane, Adere, etc, ). Compare that to the turn-out you get at the road relays... Liz Yelling, Kate Reed, etc...

No contest :lol:
pegleg

Postby ecg » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:06 pm

i'm with pegleg on this one she made the right decision. but something keeps bothering me though. did she really ever intend to run at all?
ecg

Postby pegleg » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:03 pm

ecg wrote:did she really ever intend to run at all?

It's quite clear she did. Why else would she announce that she was doing them??! It's obvious from the 32:19 in London that something was up.

Had she been at full health I have no doubt that she'd have competed today.
pegleg

Postby zen » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:17 pm

Talking of lettuces, Jason ward is a little gem, accept this COS I know him!
he is to to watch for in the future, he is unlikely to hit any icebergs, unlike UKA?
zen

Postby kima » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:56 pm

Give it a break you guys!

Paula is one of the gutsiest, hard working and decorated athletes Britain has. She is admired all over the world as well.

Wet lettuce???? :shock:

She has a cold. She is human. She is also smart and well advised.
Won't be long before she will be bringing YOUR country more glory and then what will you have to say???? :roll:
kima

Postby jason ward » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:05 am

pegleg wrote:

quote]

well for one i got selected to do the ekiden relays aswell with paula. does that count .
jason ward

Postby pegleg » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:06 am

jason ward wrote:
pegleg wrote:

well for one i got selected to do the ekiden relays aswell with paula. does that count .

Wow, a British cap. Come back when you have as many as Paula (which, at the last count was around 41) and then you can qualify to call her a wet lettuce.

I think we should heed kima's advice...
pegleg

Postby kima » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:19 am

Jason-I don't know anything about you as I live in Canada and don't know the British running scene that well
Congrats on making the team.

I would think you would be in awe of all Paula has achieved .
You can become a great athlete and not be a twerp. Just look at Paula.
kima

Postby roadrunner » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:10 pm

I do know jason very well indeed. Hes a good lad and I am sure he fully respects everything Radcliffe has done. She is a top class athlete and returned from lots of events with big wins to her name.

Jason is a very good athlete and watching him run yesterday proved this when he put Alty in to the lead on leg 3. They had four very good runners out and I am sure they will fair well in the National XC relays ina few weekends.

Congratulations on your selections. I know for personal reasons you are not going but being asked to run for the team is a great honour. Well done mate, but dont forget I am going to kick your arse in the Abbey dash!!!!
roadrunner

Postby jason ward » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:26 pm

sorry to insult top athletes but i respect the athletes from the past who had to work full time and still train to become international athletes.

personally i dont look up to other athletes you become as good as you can yourself.
jason ward

Postby kima » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:47 pm

jason ward wrote:sorry to insult top athletes but i respect the athletes from the past who had to work full time and still train to become international athletes.

personally i dont look up to other athletes you become as good as you can yourself.

Well you can respect whomever you wish but I respect ALL athletes who achieve greatness-from all eras. I have been following the sport for over 30 years and my heroes come from the the 1930's on up.

You are wise to believe in yourself and do things your own way but even the greats have people who inspired them.

I just can't believe you would call someone like Radcliffe "a wet lettuce"-her record speaks for itself.
I am sorry you can't participate in the Relays- it would have been a great opportunity. I do wish you all the best with your athletic endeavours.
kima

Postby pegleg » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:35 pm

jason ward wrote:i respect the athletes from the past who had to work full time and still train to become international athletes.

So if Paula had a part-time job, you'd respect her a bit more?

:roll:
pegleg

Postby kima » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:55 pm

pegleg wrote:
jason ward wrote:i respect the athletes from the past who had to work full time and still train to become international athletes.

So if Paula had a part-time job, you'd respect her a bit more?

:roll:

She works for Nike!!!! :D

And the British people! 8)
kima

Postby kima » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:32 pm

Amazing what a wet lettuce can accomplish.
From BBC:

Radcliffe fought back well after the trauma of the Athens Olympics
Paula Radcliffe and Jason Gardener have been named as the British Athletics Writers' Association Athletes of the Year at a ceremony in London.
Radcliffe won the coveted award for a record fifth time in seven years.

She was a unanimous choice, having won the marathons in London and at the World Championships
kima

Postby roadrunner » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:50 pm

Works for Nike? Oh yes, I remember seeing her in the local running store selling trainers the other day.

Works for the british people? crap matey.

Respect is what everyone should have for everyone else. Its just good manners. I have respect for everyone whether they are world class like Radcliffe, very good runners like jason ward or just club runners. All training hard to achieve personal goals. This thread is sounding like a few people with very individual views airing them on this forum.

we all know radcliffe is very good and very well liked by the british people. I only set the thread up as a talking point on the forum and the fact I was disappointed I wouldnt see her race in the relays. I didnt realise people would launch an attack on the women.
roadrunner

Postby AllanT » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:59 pm

jason ward wrote:she is a wet lettuce she could have used it as a training run and still beat eveyone

Unless Keith Gerrard and Adam Hickey were running, in which case she'd have to settle for third place, and be a minute behind the winner.

And Keith wasn't exactly feeling great on that day from what I've heard.
AllanT

Postby kima » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:04 pm

I forgot to put :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: with my post about Paula's jobs.

Thought you Brits wouldn't need hints though. :lol: 8)
kima

Postby roadrunner » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:24 pm

I am sure keith and Adam can both run much quicker than they did. Very good runs by both of them regardless of if they beat Radcliffe or didnt feel well on the day. Thats running for you. I am sure we will hear a lot more of Keith and Adam, even long after Radcliffe retires
roadrunner

Postby Fatti Matti » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:09 pm

my 10km is quicker than paula am i world class? :D
im thinking of having a sex change, is this legal. i dont think rr mum will be happy though. :cry:
Fatti Matti

Postby roadrunner » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:55 pm

What you cant have another sex change. You have already become a bird. What sex are you now planning on changing to?

World class? Fatti Matti? At what? Pie eating?
roadrunner

Postby kima » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:52 am

roadrunner wrote:I am sure keith and Adam can both run much quicker than they did. Very good runs by both of them regardless of if they beat Radcliffe or didnt feel well on the day. Thats running for you. I am sure we will hear a lot more of Keith and Adam, even long after Radcliffe retires

I really do wonder if alot of guys are really quite jealous of Paula's (a woman) success.
kima

Next

Return to Current events (Legacy Only)