Athletics Weekly

MARION JONES TO PLEAD GUILTY!!!!!!

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

MARION JONES TO PLEAD GUILTY!!!!!!

Postby muscroft5.freeserve.co.uk » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:14 am

Washington Post declares Jones will plead guilty in court tomorrow, and has already done so in an open letter to her family, to having been a steroid drug taker, way before the Sydney Olympics.

Some of us who consistently did not trust the usual denials from her and were convinced of her guilt feel vindicated in our previous judgement about her. Lets hope that she gets the same treatment as Chambers ansd is stripped of her medals and the Relays she was in.

Let us hope that some of the people who consistently said we were too unfair and unjustifiably suspicious of poor Miss Jones will eat a bit of humble pie as is now taking place on Track and Field Forum in USA.
muscroft5.freeserve.co.uk

Postby lsabre » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:38 am

Yeah, I can understand that Mr Bennyg 's huge anti-American and anti-Marion Jones complexes feel a little more satisfied now, that 's why he 's been jumping for joy. Especially now that all his ill statements about the performances of many British athletes have fallen off the wayside, as will do his latest implies about Ohuruogu and Sanders...
Personally, I have lost none of my esteem towards either Dwain Chambers or Marion Jones. Maybe have lost to Tim Montgomery who has been involved in far more...
So, I suggest Mr Sport Irrelevant (Bennyg) pops at some bakery in Cheltenham and has a pie rubbed in his face as a reminder of his identity...
lsabre

Postby muscroft5.freeserve.co.uk » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:09 am

Isa

What a sick sad, dysfunctional bugger you are.!!! I would mind even if you were not such an ignorant fool about athletics in general, and Brit athletics in particular.

Not surprised to see that YOU are a fan of two disgusting cheats who did others out of justifiable medals for years. You are not bright enough to understand.

If you read the news you will see that she is in other financial hot water as well. She ought to go to gaol if there is any justice.

I suspect you like crooks.!!!!!!!!!!!!! Note that your name is an anagram for rabies. Very apt.

Postby lsabre » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:19 am

If you had a clue about athletics, you should have known better. Besides being as two-faced and ground-shifting as your friends. And as I have told you I am light years ahead of you in every department, including British sport about which you hardly know the basics!

Now let 's check:
"No individual medals for Britain at the Worlds in Osaka."
"You can 't rely on Ohuruogu, she is totally unfit." (answering to Nevets)
"Sanders is not fit and has missed months of training..."!!!!
"Andy Baddeley is a poor lad and has no potential on the international scene..."
Don 't need to go on for hours...
lsabre

Postby BigGut » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:55 am

I have lost respect for all who take PEDs, however I believe in the right of someone to have a second chance so I was quite prepared to see Chambers return to the athletics fold.

As for eating humble pie. I have never commented previously on Jones and her possible use of PEDs so I do not say this from a personal perspective, but I do not think the fact that she now has proven to have done it means that anyone who defended her has to eat humble pie. There was no evidence of her cheating previously and as such these people were right to say that we could not condemn her on hearsay.

I never trusted the fact that she had two partners who were drugs cheats, just like the Irish swimmer who married a man convicted of supplying the stuff, I cannt reconcile training so hard with being with someone who cheats people like yourself out of everything they worked for. But that was my personal opinion and was purely circumstantial.

On the anagram thing I always thought it was Lsabre as in Lightsabre but that it was a lower case L that was being displayed.
BigGut

Postby muscroft5.freeserve.co.uk » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:19 am

Rabies

You are a fraud. I predicted on AD 6 to 8 top 8 places individually for Brit Athletes. We got 9. Good guess Bennyg. I was out on predicting no medals individually
I suppose that you knew that Christine and Nicola would Medal, did you.

Like f--k you did. NOBODY did.

I was no more inaccurate than you in my predictions, with your nonsense about Goldie Sayers who was'' newly full of confidence and likely to medal'' according to you. I was sceptical about her serial underperformance. Not MR Optimism. No siree.
What about your predictions of our Long Jumpers.??? Will be further checking your comments.

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:55 am

Guys,

Why bring every debate back to the pre-Osaka medal predictions? It's nothing to get so het up about, and it's certainly not related to this discussion on Marion Jones.

If you want to chest-thump about whose predictions were best, then please do that in private on emails or by PM. Any more messages on that subject will be deleted. But this thread is for the discussion on Marion Jones, so let's keep it that way.

Cheers.
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby usedtoit33 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:28 am

Thanks Jon!

I'd actually be very sad to hear this if it's true. Marion Jones had a lot of guilt by association, but apart from one A test for EPO (followed by a negative B sample) has never tested positive. She first ran a fast 100m (11.16) when she was 16. Was she on drugs then?

I don't think that people who defended her were wrong. No one had any proof as to whether she was on drugs or not. All there's been is guilt by association. Until someone actually tests positive or in this case, apparently admits guilt you can never say for sure. So I think people were right to defend her at the time.

I wonder what will happen in court?
usedtoit33

Postby Patriot » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:32 am

Crikey!

Will Thanou be the Sydney champ?

Will Miller be the Seville champ?
Patriot

Postby usedtoit33 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:47 am

Patriot, I was wondering whether that'd be the case or not but I couldn't remember who was in the minor placings. I can't say my heart would jump for joy at the idea of handing medals over to those two.
usedtoit33

Postby lsabre » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:24 pm

Jon, allow me first to tell that fellow who posted that thread in particular to have a go at my defence of Marion Jones last year that it was what I felt I had to do as I would do with any other athlete. If we, people of the sport, don 't support our people, when our sport is being under fire these last few years, who will? And I didn 't do that because she is a track and field athlete but because I choose to show faith in athletes as well!
Marion Jones was a top world class athlete even before 2000, as Chambers was before 2002! But so far I have seen nothing up yet on BBC or elsewhere than the Washington Post, so let 's be a little wary of this latest report.
If that report stands and Jones is stripped of her Olympic 100m title then it is going to pass to Thanou, but the allegations do not involve (I believe) the 1999 World Championships.

As for calling me fraud, well that 's definitely a real laugh (anyone can check out whatever one likes). Further, just that Jon, there was a whole argument between me and the above fellow over Sanders on AD in June, with me and Nevets insisting she was a genuine medal chance in Japan.

Further, due to some expressions used above I would request that Mr Bennyg 's posts are properly moderated.
Last edited by lsabre on Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsabre

Postby lsabre » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:39 pm

Further, I have a question. The Washington Post claims that Marion Jones admitted taking illegal substances from 1999 on in a letter to her family and friends, not to anyone else. So, how did they get ever hold of such an item?
lsabre

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:51 pm

lsabre wrote:Marion Jones was a top world class athlete even before 2000, as Chambers was before 2002! But so far I have seen nothing up yet on BBC or elsewhere than the Washington Post, so let 's be a little wary of this latest report.
Do a google news search for “Marion Jones” – it’s all over the shop. Just because there isn’t a piece on the BBC site, doesn’t mean it’s not official.

lsabre wrote:If that report stands and Jones is stripped of her Olympic 100m title then it is going to pass to Thanou, but the allegations do not involve (I believe) the 1999 World Championships.
She admits to taking the clear since 1999, which would make Inger Miller the ’99 double sprint champion and Thanou the 2000 Olympic champ (oh, the irony).

lsabre wrote:The Washington Post claims that Marion Jones admitted taking illegal substances from 1999 on in a letter to her family and friends, not to anyone else. So, how did they get ever hold of such an item?
Things get leaked all the time (for a case in point, see pretty much any BALCO-related press over the past few years). Wouldn’t be surprised if Marion’s team themselves leaked it intentionally, so that she could get her word out before all the conjecture started.

lsabre wrote:Further, due to some expressions used above I would request that Mr Bennyg 's posts are properly moderated.
There was name-calling from both sides. I don’t care what went on over at AD, I just ask that you follow my requests (as per my previous post) on this forum. Thanks.
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby lsabre » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:06 pm

First Jon, I take into account what comes on BBC and certain other websites because they don 't put anything up until it is well-documented. That 's why. So, I don 't really care over how many shops the issue lies right now, but those with higher credibility.
Further, at which point of 1999 it is referred to? Pre- or post-August of that year, because that makes a huge difference.

Second, I don 't think I used expressions like f--k, fraud et al for instance. But somehow I noticed that it took way too long with Powerof10man as well before he got told, didn 't it? He had to go way over the limits first and somehow looked favoured in this by a stand-in Administrator at the time...

Third, you 're right BigGut, lsabre stands for lightsabre!
lsabre

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:10 pm

lsabre wrote:First Jon, I take into account what comes on BBC and certain other websites because they don 't put anything up until it is well-documented.
You mean like their report last year that Tomas Dvorak had retired? (Which was completely false). :roll:

Give it time, and it will pop up on the BBC site. It's everywhere else today (including TV and radio).
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby lsabre » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:07 pm

Jon, Eurosport 's report begins as this:

American champion sprinter Marion Jones has admitted using steroids as she prepared for the 2000 Olympics - where she won five medals including gold in the 100m and 200m - and reportedly plans to plead guilty on Friday to two counts of lying about her drug use.

So, probably, the 1999 World Championships results are not involved in this case.

Full report:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/05102007/58/sprint-queen-jones-admits-doping.html
lsabre

Postby benn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:38 pm

for gods sake when will people take their heads out of the sand.there will be more to come
here is the alleged letter

Dear family and close friends,

I hope this letter finds all of you well. I know some of you must be wondering where the pictures are that I so often attach to my emails. Unfortunately, this is a much different type of letter. I write this letter to all of you for a few reasons.

The first is simply because I love you all. Some things will be happening in the next week that I want you all to know about from me FIRST. You deserve this because you have been there for me from the very beginning. You have supported me throughout the many struggles that I have had in my life and continue to do so to this day. You deserve to hear about Marion from Marion and not from the USA Today or CNN.

The second reason is because I finally want to shed much baggage that has been tearing me down for a long time. I want to share with you all my humanness. The fact that I have made mistakes in my life, made bad decisions, and have carried a great amount of pain and hurt throughout my life. I want you all to understand that I have constructed, what I thought, was this impenetrable wall, to protect me from hurtful and harmful people and things. In doing this I, unfortunately, have distanced myself from loved ones and made myself impossible, at times, to connect with. I want you all to know that I sincerely apologize for this. One day soon, I hope you will understand the reason for me having such behavior. I am not trying to justify it, but simply want you all to have a better understanding of why I have done certain things in my life. Having said this, I realize the need to be up front and honest with you about several things that have transpired in my life. I will not candy coat the following statements, as I have done this and tapped around the truth for too long.

As many of you know I am not one for a lot of small talk so I will get right to the crux of this letter. On October 5th, 2007, I plan to plead guilty to two counts of lying to federal agents. I will travel to New York on Friday, October 5 th, where my mom will meet me, and return home to Austin on the following afternoon. I will now try and explain the details of all this to you all.

In 1999, my track coach Trevor Graham provided me with some nutritional supplements. There is one in particular that he called "flaxseed oil." He advised me to take this supplement by placing a few drops under my tongue and then swallow. He told me that it was necessary to add this to my diet so that I could be in peak running shape. I, unfortunately, never asked him any questions about it. I trusted him and never thought for one second that he would jeopardize my career, nor his own. He told me to administer it by placing a few drops under my tongue for a few seconds and then to swallow. He supplied me this for the 1999 and 2000 seasons. In 2001, I noticed a change in how my body felt, how I was able to recover and my strength level. I felt generally weaker in my entire training routine. At that time I attributed the noticeable change to being burnt out from the Olympics, etc. It was not until after I left Trevor at the end of 2002 that I began to wonder to my self whether or not Trevor had given me something to enhance my performance. Looking back in hindsight, red flags should have been raised in my head when he told me not to tell anyone about our workouts or supplementation program. At that time my rationale was, well it makes sense not to give out any information about what we do, why give my competitors any edge.

In 2003, I was interviewed by federal agents regarding the Balco scandal. For those of you that do not know, Balco was the name of a company that provided nutritional supplements and steroids to athletes through its owner Victor Conte. You can just Google it, if you need further explanation. In that interview, agents asked me several questions regarding my involvement, if any, with Balco or Victor Conte. There are two questions, in particular, that have gotten me into part of the trouble that I am involved in today. Agents asked me if I had ever seen this substance called the "clear.", and they then showed it to me. Up to this point I had heard about this steroid called the "clear," but had never seen it, or so I thought. It was the brain child of Victor Conte. When shown the substance I recognized it immediately as the supplement that Trevor Graham had given me and had referred to as "flaxseed oil," and knew at that moment that I had taken it for nearly 2 years. I panicked and told the agents that I had never seen the substance before. This was a lie. I indeed had seen it before but was introduced to it under a different name.

The agents concluded the interview by asking me if I had ever taken a performance enhancing drug, or PED, as I will refer to it the rest of the letter. I told them that I had never taken a PED in my career. Prior to this interview, before seeing the "clear" I could have honestly said and did, that I never knowingly took any banned substances. But once they showed me the "clear" and told me that it was indeed a PED, I knew that what I had taken and been given was a banned substance and I lied about it.

I lied for a few reasons. I lied because I panicked. I lied to protect my coach at the time. I lied to protect all that I had worked so very hard for in my life and career. And lastly, I lied to protect myself. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do. I made the decision to break the law and have to take full responsibly for doing so. All of this was after my attorneys had specifically told me several times the need to be totally truthful with the agents.

That will be the first count that I will plead guilty to on Friday. As you can all imagine, the story will be front page news, and I want you all, as I have stated in the beginning of this letter, to have heard the truth from me.

Regarding the second count of lying to a federal agent….At the beginning of 2006 I met with prosecutors in New York regarding a check fraud and check counterfeiting scheme they had been investigating. They had called me in because a $25,000.00 check had been deposited into my account in 2005, and apparently it was one of the counterfeit checks. I was asked if I knew anything about the check. I told the prosecutors no. This was a lie! The facts are these….Tim Montgomery, Monty's biological father, gave me the check in 2005 and told me that it was from the sale of a refurbished vehicle that he owned and it would be towards partial repayment of $50, 000.00 which I loaned him for attorney expenses back in 2004. The government believes that I knew about the check fraud scheme from the beginning and that I knew that the check was counterfeit. This is not the case.

Once again I panicked. I lied because I wanted to protect Monty's biological father. Although my relationship had ended, I did not want to be the one responsible for putting him in jail or getting him in trouble. And lastly, I wanted to protect myself. I did not want my name associated with this mess. I wanted to stay as far away from it as possible. And so I lied. I am not giving excuses for what I have done. I just want you to understand, even if it is only slightly, my bizarre reasoning behind lying to a federal agent, for the second time.

This brings us to the present. Both the Northern District of California and the Southern District of New York cases will be presided over by one Judge in New York. They call this a global resolution. The sentencing will be held in approximately 3 months, or sometime at the beginning of January. The sentencing guideline for an offense such as this is 0-6 months in jail. Although it is extremely hard to fathom being away from my family for any length of time, I have to put the rest in God's hands and pray that this horrible chapter in my life, be resolved as soon as possible. I wanted you to know this and not be surprised when you pick up the paper or turn on the computer within the next week. You deserve more than that.

The next several months will be very difficult for me and my family, and all of you as well. With all of this happening though I want you to know that I feel a huge relief already being lifted as I will finally be able to tell the truth, as hard as it might be . I want to apologize to you all for all of this. I am sorry for putting you all through this after you have been there for me through everything. I want to apologize to you, in advance, for the questions that you will be asked about me and about your relationships with me. And lastly, I am sorry for disappointing you all, in so many ways. My intent was never to hurt any of you.

I hope that one day I will be able to share with you, and the world, my struggles with certain things in my life. And in addition use my story to help direct, motivate, and possibly even inspire young people to make better decisions in their lives.

Please keep me in your prayers.

Love,

Marion
benn

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:42 pm

lsabre wrote:probably, the 1999 World Championships results are not involved in this case.
See Marion's alleged letter.

She was given the clear in 1999 so that she could be in peak shape. No prizes for guessing which competition she was peaking for that year. :roll:
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby Oleg » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:43 pm

I agree with Benn. I don't think that all is revealed and who knows if all ever will be revealed? What we do know is that Marion Jones was an illegal drug user (whether or not we believe she didn't know it) and she has lied about it over and over. Sure she hasn't failed a test but that doesn't mean she wasn't full to the eyeballs with gear. Unfortunately she is a drugs cheat and a liar and I for one wouldn't believe a word she says any more.
Oleg

Postby usedtoit33 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Well, there it is - do you have a link to it benn?

99, 00 and 01 seasons is what she's 'fessing up to. Naive, stupid, makes really bad decisions or covering her behind. Take your pick ladies and gentlemen.
usedtoit33

Postby Oleg » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:51 pm

usedtoit33 wrote:Well, there it is - do you have a link to it benn?

99, 00 and 01 seasons is what she's 'fessing up to. Naive, stupid, makes really bad decisions or covering her behind. Take your pick ladies and gentlemen.

I pick "covering her behind"
Oleg

Postby pegleg » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:53 pm

Oleg wrote:I don't think that all is revealed
Me neither. Anyone with half a brain can see she was probably on something back in 1997 - her times then were similar to the ones she was running in 1999/2001 when she has admitted to being on drugs.

It was probably a different substance she was on in 1997 - I think she only started using THG in 1999, and that's the only substance with which the feds have got any evidence. Her letter was very carefully crafted (no doubt with help from her lawyers) so that she only admits to what she has been forced into a corner to admit.

If we've learnt anything about Marion over the years, it's: no matter how 'honest' she is making herself out to appear, she is always hiding something. Same applies here.
pegleg

Postby usedtoit33 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:11 pm

Well, here are the medal promotions due to happen if her results are wiped off the record books:

World Champs, Edmonton 2001

100m: Silver to Thanou, Bronze to ?.
200m: Gold to Debbie Ferguson, Silver to Latasha Jenkins, Bronze to ?.

World Champs, Seville, 1999

100m: Gold to Inger Miller, Silver to Thanou, Bronze - ?

Olympic Games, Sydney 2000

100m: Gold to Thanou, Silver to Tanya Lawrence, Bronze to ?
200m: Gold to Pauline Davis, Silver to Jayasinghe, Bronze to?
4x100m: Bronze to 4th place team?
4x400m: Gold to Jamaica, Silver to Russia, Bronze to 4th place team?

I wonder where Britain finished in the women's 4x400 in Sydney?
usedtoit33

Postby nevetssllim » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:33 pm

usedtoit33 wrote:Well, here are the medal promotions due to happen if her results are wiped off the record books:

World Champs, Edmonton 2001

100m: Silver to Thanou, Bronze to ?.
200m: Gold to Debbie Ferguson, Silver to Latasha Jenkins, Bronze to ?.

World Champs, Seville, 1999

100m: Gold to Inger Miller, Silver to Thanou, Bronze - ?

Olympic Games, Sydney 2000

100m: Gold to Thanou, Silver to Tanya Lawrence, Bronze to ?
200m: Gold to Pauline Davis, Silver to Jayasinghe, Bronze to?
4x100m: Bronze to 4th place team?
4x400m: Gold to Jamaica, Silver to Russia, Bronze to 4th place team?

I wonder where Britain finished in the women's 4x400 in Sydney?

In Sydney, bronze to Ottey in the 100m (reaffirming herself as the Bronze Queen) and fellow Jamaican, Bev McDonald in the 200m.

OMG - the 2001, bronze to Sturrup (that has the be on the dodgiest races ever with Jones, White, Gaines, Block and Thanou. I feel sorry for Debbie Ferguson!

In the 200m, bronze for Mothersill

In Seville, bronze to Block over 200m.

In Athens '97, Arron the bronze over 100m
nevetssllim

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:35 pm

The amended results would look something like:

1999 World Championships
Women's 100m:
1. Inger Miller (USA) 10.79
2. Ekatherini Thanou (GRE) 10.84
3. Zhanna Pintusevich (UKR) 10.95

Women's long jump:
1. Niurka Montalvo (ESP) 7.06m
2. Fiona May (ITA) 6.94m
3. Lyudmila Galkina (RUS) 6.82m

2000 Olympic Games
Women's 100m:
1. Ekatherini Thanou (GRE) 11.12
2. Tayna Lawrence (JAM) 11.18
3. Merlene Ottey (JAM) 11.19

Women's 200m:
1. Pauline Davis-Thompson (BAH) 22.27
2. Susanthika Jayasinghe (SRI) 22.28
3. Beverly McDonald (JAM) 22.35

Women's long jump:
1. Heike Drechsler (GER) 6.99m
2. Fiona May (ITA) 6.92m
3. Tatyana Kotova (RUS) 6.83m

Women's 4x100m:
1. Bahamas 41.95
2. Jamaica 42.13
3. France 42.42

Women's 4x400m:
1. Jamaica 3:23.25
2. Russia 3:23.46
3. Nigeria 3:23.80

2001 World Championships
Women's 100m:
1. Zhanna Pintusevich (UKR) 10.82
2. Ekatherini Thanou (GRE) 10.91
3. Chandra Sturrup (BAH) 11.02

Women's 200m:
1. Debbie Ferguson (BAH) 22.52
2. LaTasha Jenkins (USA) 22.85
3. Cydonie Mothersill (CAY) 22.88

Women's long jump:
1. Niurka Montalvo (ESP) 7.06m
2. Fiona May (ITA) 6.94m
3. Lyudmila Galkina (RUS) 6.82m
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:35 pm

nevetssllim wrote:In Athens '97, Arron the bronze over 100m
Unless Jones amends her admission to say that she started taking drugs in 1997, none of the results from the Athens World Champs will change.
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby nevetssllim » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Jon wrote:
nevetssllim wrote:In Athens '97, Arron the bronze over 100m
Unless Jones amends her admission to say that she started taking drugs in 1997, none of the results from the Athens World Champs will change.

Oh right, I missed that bit .

BTW, that would mean Kotova would have medalled in every major champs between 2000-2007.

Didn't Galkina fail a drugs test as well?
nevetssllim

Postby usedtoit33 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm so glad I could hold onto my fragile illusions back around the turn of the century. Looking at those other runners now just depresses me.

All I can think of is that Trevor Graham should never be let anywhere near a track again and that the US really needs to work on their anti-doping programme. I'm not saying they're all at it, but it's going to take a long time before I can get really enthusiastic about US and US based sprinters. Or Eastern bloc for that matter.
usedtoit33

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:52 pm

lsabre wrote:I take into account what comes on BBC and certain other websites because they don 't put anything up until it is well-documented.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7030170.stm
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:08 pm

Can anyone tell me what has happened or what is likely to happen to her, so called coach, Trevor Graham? Did he have immunity?

I'm not sure that Marion Jones is telling the whole truth but if he gave her a synthetic steroid without her knowledge it is very much like the East German regime. She may wellhave known or should at least have been more careful - but then again the Americans thought they could get away with it following years of not reporting positives, losing test results etc.

I hope her coach can be punished in some way, preferably for a criminal offence.
Geoff

Next

Return to Current events