Athletics Weekly

The World's No.1 Athletics Magazine

Any non-athletics related discussion

The World's No.1 Athletics Magazine

Postby Lanky Lad » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:10 pm

I note that Athletics Weekly is the World's No.1 Athletics Magazine. Is this an award the magazine has won or is it a self annointed title?
Lanky Lad

Postby alf tupper » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:26 pm

Who are numbers 2 and 3 ??
alf tupper

Postby roadrunner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:33 pm

Lets vote it out?

Vote now.

AW
Runners World
Running Fitness
OR FELLRUNNER!!!!!!
roadrunner

Postby Lanky Lad » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:53 pm

Fellrunner first. AW a poor second. Runners World and Running & Fitness not worth a vote.
Lanky Lad

Postby roadrunner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:05 pm

Come on, RW carried a very good report of the Gravy 6 in its October issue.
roadrunner

Postby slowcoach » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:57 pm

Runner's World is a magazine for a runner.

It doesn't cover Athletics.

Neither do FellRunner or Running & Fitness.

Incidentally, which runner is Runner's World aimed at?
slowcoach

Postby mountainrunner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:02 pm

I would put the fellrunner and athletics weekly at equal first I think.

Running fitness would probably have to come next, although I think the publisher changed about a year ago, and at that same point it rapidly went downhill.

And like lankylad I really don't rate runners world at all. Although as roadrunner says, it does have the occasional decent race report - like the one on the gravy 6
mountainrunner

Postby mountainrunner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:04 pm

I would put the coach ahead of runningfitness, but i'm not sure whether thats classed as a magazine or a journal.
mountainrunner

Postby roadrunner » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:49 am

I would class the coach as a journal. Same as peak performance. Now there are some interesting articles in that little publication.
roadrunner

Postby pegleg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:51 am

mountainrunner wrote:I would put the fellrunner and athletics weekly at equal first I think.

How much coverage does track and field get in 'The Fellrunner'...?
pegleg

Postby roadrunner » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:02 am

lol, the title of the mag might answer tht one for you
roadrunner

Postby pegleg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:15 am

roadrunner wrote:lol, the title of the mag might answer tht one for you

Exactly. So how can it be considered an 'equal first' in the magazine stakes when it only covers one area.

Time to take the blinkers off, people. This is getting ridiculous.
pegleg

Postby mountainrunner » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:28 am

well because i'm allowed to give my personal opinion as to which magazine I prefer. Don't get me wrong - the fellrunner could never compete with athletics weekly for the tite of the worlds No.1 athletics magazine, because it only covers one area of athletics. But that doesn't stop it from being a quality magazine, and it doesn't stop me from enjoying it just as much as athetics weekly.
mountainrunner

Postby pegleg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:41 am

mountainrunner wrote:I would put the fellrunner and athletics weekly at equal first I think.

Contradicting himself, mountainrunner then wrote:the fellrunner could never compete with athletics weekly for the tite of the worlds No.1 athletics magazine

pegleg

Postby mountainrunner » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:54 am

Nothing like being selective in ones reading and ones quotations hey pegleg.
mountainrunner

Postby pegleg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:14 pm

mountainrunner wrote:Nothing like being selective in ones reading and ones quotations hey pegleg.

You would know.

But I'm just showing that you're contradicting yourself somewhat. It's a discussion about which is the world's No.1 athletics magazine; you say The Fellrunner and AW are equal No.1; only to follow it up by saying 'The Fellrunner can never compete with AW for the No.1 spot'.

What you meant to say originally was "My personal favourite is 'The Fellrunner', etc, etc...."
pegleg

Postby mountainrunner » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:03 pm

alright, fair enough. but this is getting a bit pedaantic isnt it.
mountainrunner

Postby ecg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:57 pm

i must admit i do think that athletics weekly is the best magazine in the world.

could be the universe if it just added a fell running column :lol:
ecg

Postby kima » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:17 pm

pegleg wrote:
roadrunner wrote:lol, the title of the mag might answer tht one for you

Exactly. So how can it be considered an 'equal first' in the magazine stakes when it only covers one area.

Time to take the blinkers off, people. This is getting ridiculous.

I must ditto what pegleg is saying.
It is great that there is a magazine devoted to fell running. It is also admirable that AW gives fell running some coverage-it is obvious that most fans of athletics do not follow fell running. Athletics Weekly is the best magazine in the world covering a sport whcih goes all year round and is the second most participated sport in the world. The very fact that the IAAF does not include fell running in its mandate makes it clear that the link between athletics and fell running is very tenuous at best.
Your little orchestarted campaign here is getting quite tedious. Time to go run some hills guys! :P
kima

Postby Lanky Lad » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:02 pm

kima wrote: The very fact that the IAAF does not include fell running in its mandate makes it clear that the link between athletics and fell running is very tenuous at best.

kima, If you think the top Fell Runners are not athletes, I suggest you turn up for a race and see for yourself.
Lanky Lad

Postby kima » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:09 pm

Where did I say fell runners aren't athletes????
I said it (fell running) is not a part of the sport of athletics.
I have huge admiration for anyone who can and wants to race up a mountain. Fell runners are definately athletes. :)

Now shall we debate whether golfers are??? :lol: :lol:
kima

Postby Fleeter » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:37 pm

kima is very right.Lets just shut up and talk about something interesting.like GRAVY! well im off out into the wilderness............
Fleeter

Postby off roader » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:25 pm

Fully agree that this argument's pretty old now!
And while many athletics fans may don't (yet?) appreciate the joys of fell running :( , most fell runners i know enjoyed following the World Champs this summer... :wink:

But i just got one more question! (just cause i really want to know, not cause i want to argue!!!)

Why, if fell running isn't recognised by any athletics body, are this weeks relays called the "17th UK Athletics British Fell & Hill Running Relay Championships"????
off roader

Postby alf tupper » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:59 pm

And why, if fell running (mountain running) isn't recognised, does the IAAF web site state otherwise?

http://www.iaaf.org/theSport/whatisathletics/index.html
alf tupper

Postby Fleeter » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:14 pm

lets forget it eh.This is getting childish.The new fell runner magazine will be here soon anyway!
Fleeter

Postby pegleg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:04 pm

I think what mj4318 said on another thread hit the nail on the head. Even if AW did devote 1 page every issue for fell running news and reports, would that be enough to make you want to buy the magazine? Or would it simply mean that you'd just stay in WHSmith a bit longer to flick through the extra page and then not buy it? Afterall, you can get most of the same kind of news and reports on the internet nowadays anyway.

It appears as though the majority of fell runners don't have much interest in regular track and field athletics, and so I don't see why any of them would want to get AW in the first place (apart from the fell results). For example, I'm a track and field fan - if I heard that the Fellrunner mag had one page of track and field news in each issue, I know that that wouldn't be anywhere near enough to tempt me whatsoever into buying it.

Oh, and the more you flood this forum will inane, cliquey fell running messages, the more you're likely to p*ss AW off and put them off fell running completely. Time to rethink your strategy, guys.
pegleg

Postby roadrunner » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:06 pm

Wrong, I have an interest in all branches of athletics. I cant be arsed standing in smiths or the local spar reading it. I want to read in my chair, on the bog or in bed not stood up with all the chavs in shops. Of course fell runners would buy it. You implying they are tight sods? They might run in the same shorts for years but they will part with their money.
roadrunner

Postby brett » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:21 pm

No they won't - i know several Fellrunners who read it in Smiths!!
brett

Postby pegleg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:45 pm

roadrunner wrote:Wrong, I have an interest in all branches of athletics.

Note I said 'the majority'. As it stands, you appear to be an exception to the rule. And no, I'm not insinuating that fell runners are tight - don't twist my words. I'm merely questioning whether one page would be enough for the seemingly insular fell running fraternity to be tempted to buy the mag. As I said above, if I was a fell runner with minimal interest in other branches of athletics, I'm not sure I'd be tempted to buy a mag that runs just one page of reports & news when there's another mag out there devoted to fell.
pegleg

Postby ecg » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:18 pm

i love athletics from road to XC to fell running to track and field infact you will be hard pressed to find a bigger fan than me. i just think that athletics weekly could put a column in to let people know whats going on in the fell running world. Just like we get to know what happens in the other branches of athletics.

and as for reading athletics weekly in the shop nope. i get mine put behind the shelf and have been getting it since 1993 when i was 11 years old not missed an issue since. i have even went on ebay and bought ones from the 60s etc on numerous occassions. once again all i want is a article on fell running now and again. you dont really get the "you feel you know the athlete" feeling from fell runners because all you see is a name in the results etc. it would be nice to see interviews to read how other fell runners train etc. you do get that in fell running magazine but how often does that come out? a nice up to date article now and then wouldnt go a miss.
ecg

Next

Return to Off track