Athletics Weekly

This forum was pretty much dead

Any non-athletics related discussion

This forum was pretty much dead

Postby walrusgod » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:05 pm

theres nothing going on here really. advertise it more in the magasine or something.
walrusgod

Re: This forum is pretty much dead

Postby slowspeed1 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:40 pm

walrusgod wrote:theres nothing going on here really. advertise it more in the magasine or something.

I have to agre to an extent. Apart from the die hard like Jen, Bevone, realsub10 (who is consistently supporting with most forum), ernil, guts, buebottle (sorry if i have missed out any names) there are not a lot participation.

I feel walrusgood is right please advertise or feature the best of your forums in your magarine along side you letters section. I feel a lot of people have a lot to say but cant be bothered to write to your letters section in the magazine
slowspeed1

Postby bevone » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:45 pm

...and I only visit the site every now and then! Back to school next week (our half term's are out of synch) so I'll be busy elsehere!
bevone

Postby Bonfist Maganga » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:29 pm

I agree. Athletics Weekly could be doing a much better job of promoting the forum both in the print magazine and online. As it is, most of the really interesting debate about the sport seems to be elsewhere on the web: on letsrun.com (admittedly, accompanied by lots of dross), the BBC board and even runnersworld.co.uk. The forum is particularly crucial because there are few other reasons why A-W.com subscribers should visit the site between issues. Okay, there are occasional blog entries but rarely are these timeworthy or interesting. It's the New York marathon this Sunday, arguably the world's most high-profile, but there's nothing on the AW homepage about it!!! Go and have a look at the Letsrun.com homepage and see what AW could be doing. Instead of treating the website as a glorified subscription centre, AW should be transforming the site into THE hub for debate and news about athletics. Unfortunately they seem to have missed the boat...
Bonfist Maganga

Postby Javelin Sam » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:23 pm

and how did my name get missed off... i'm the biggest poster on here ffs...
Javelin Sam

Postby slowspeed1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:29 pm

Javelin Sam wrote:and how did my name get missed off... i'm the biggest poster on here ffs...

Sorry Javelin Sam ,

Nothing personal I am only new to the site.

Fantastics views by yourself I must say
slowspeed1

Postby Eddie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:01 am

I think the fact that it is now over two weeks since the clocks went back an hour and this website hasn't turned their clock back says a lot.

It is a shame as the potential is there....
Eddie

Postby Javelin Sam » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:02 am

i think you will find that is something you can do in your profile as you will now be displayed as GMT+1
Javelin Sam

Postby TheRealSub10 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:11 pm

Sam also has the best signature on the site... but it is missing a conclusion - I want to see what you managed to spear!
TheRealSub10

Postby Javelin Sam » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:14 pm

I think it was a "long distance runner" who insists on runnign across the middle of the field as recovery while doing 200's...
Javelin Sam

Postby slinger » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:41 pm

......great game that.
slinger

Postby Javelin Sam » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:46 pm

it's like the shooting ducks game at the funfair.. a stream of joggers walk unfazed across the centre line (55.65m) despite the spears landing around them...
Javelin Sam

Postby Fort » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Aha! Now I remember why I don't do track running :shock:
Fort

Postby Javelin Sam » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:38 am

if only they were using the track...
Javelin Sam

Postby jshelley » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:02 pm

How can you lot be cussing distance runners :!:
We are the REAL athletes
We are the ones who do all the hard work, you just turn up and throw something every now and then :!:
jshelley

Are you being serious?

Postby Oleg » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:23 pm

Hi jshelley, I presume your comment is tongue in cheek but have you ever trained for javelin throwing - do you know what's involved? Through the winter you have gym sessions for conditioning, hypertrophy and power plus track sessions for sprinting, plyometrics, throwing medicine balls, shots, javelins as well as run throughs, foot drills and lots more. Then in season there are gym sessions, throwing sessions, running sessions, technical sessions. Competition requires focus to perform a highly technical event at optimum levels in restricted attempts. A little more than just turning up and throwing.

Distance runners do put a lot of miles in but having trained for marathons and for javelin I can assure that running in a straight line and occasionally turning corners or round bends depending on whether you're on or off track really isn't as taxing as you make it sound, even when you're running to near exhaustion which lets face it not many athletes I've seen training do.

The training for these events is very different and both are very taxing in their own ways - I think the point made earlier refered to distance runners interupting throwers sessions by running accross a field they are throwing in. I always wonder how track runners would feel if I came onto the track and started throwing javelins in the path they were running in and disrupted their session?
Oleg

Postby Power-of-ten-man » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:12 am

If you think what you do is hard, try taking up boxing!!
Power-of-ten-man

Postby Javelin Sam » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:42 am

what??? and chase a chicken around (ROCKY)
Javelin Sam

Postby Oleg » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:45 am

Javelin Sam prefers his chickens to be covered in bright orange sauce than alive and in need of chasing!
Oleg

Postby Javelin Sam » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:53 am

now now Mr "Oleg" nothing wrong with a chinese buffet
Javelin Sam

Postby Oleg » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:06 pm

Only joking of course!

JE - you are right, boxing training is far "harder" than training for jav or LD - I don't think training for either of the athletic events is hard work but is certainly good fun.

My brief boxing training ended with a broken hand last season which didn't help my javelin a great deal!
Oleg

Postby Javelin Sam » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:07 pm

and it never helped my tennis either...still got beaten... :roll:
Javelin Sam

Postby jshelley » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:13 pm

I was only messing around when I said that about throwers Oleg.
It would be nice to here about your interesting combo of javelin, boxing and marathoning, and no you are quite right I have never trained for javelin or any other throwing event.
I just thought that I better say something since the title of this topic is 'This forum is pretty much dead'.
jshelley

Postby Fort » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:11 pm

Mentioning dead chickens and target practice with my distant cousins who keep running round in the same circle (oh alright oval), maybe there is scope for a darts/archery style javlin competition? Have an object to aim at, preferably not in the shape of a runner :wink:
As for marathons, they just need livening up by putting in a few hills and removing all trace of tarmac!
There that should help prove that this forum is pretty much dead.
Fort

Postby Oleg » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:59 pm

jshelley wrote:I was only messing around when I said that about throwers Oleg.

I assumed that was the case (hence my tongue in cheek comment) but fortunately the comment did spark some interesting debate about dead and alive chickens!

So..... my odd training for marathons, boxing and javelin! Well in 2002 I ran the London Marathon as a warm up to running from Lands End to Southend, (20-25 miles a day for 8 days) so got quite a few miles in my legs then! 2004 my training changed again as I came 9th in the world double decathlon championships - boxing figured there as the need to be powerful while extremely tired was the key focus of the training. Last 2 years has been focussed on javelin (and moreso rehab from knee ops!) and when I brought boxing back in March this year I broke a meta-carpal in my throwing hand (the less popular equivalent to the famous Beckham, Rooney, Neville metatarsal!).

So jack of all trades, master of none apart from shouting at runners who run in throwing range just as you are approaching to throw. (If they did it at any other point it is still stupid and dangerous but would be less disturbing to throwers' sessions).
Oleg

Postby Javelin Sam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:53 am

Fort wrote:Mentioning dead chickens and target practice with my distant cousins who keep running round in the same circle (oh alright oval), maybe there is scope for a darts/archery style javlin competition? Have an object to aim at, preferably not in the shape of a runner :wink:

that does actually happen...

AND

it has been on the agenda for future Javelin Festivals... so watch this space
Javelin Sam

Postby Paul A » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:10 pm

I think the forum is suffering from too much political whinging and moaning.

Certainly put me off.
Paul A

Postby michaelw » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:21 am

There would be no need to discuss politics if the control of the sport of athletics was returned to those who participate in the sport. It was the decision by New Labour lackeys to remove control of the sport of athletics from the AAA of England and give it to their quangoes Sport England and UK Sport and their lap dogs UKAthletics and England Athletics that introduced the politics.
michaelw

Postby sleady » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:24 pm

michaelw wrote:There would be no need to discuss politics if the control of the sport of athletics was returned to those who participate in the sport. It was the decision by New Labour lackeys to remove control of the sport of athletics from the AAA of England and give it to their quangoes Sport England and UK Sport and their lap dogs UKAthletics and England Athletics that introduced the politics.

Utter nonsense!! There has been political bickering since the dawn of the sport. Go and read Feet in the Clouds by Richard Asquith.
sleady

Postby michaelw » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:19 pm

Sleady I am not used to my views being dismissed as "utter nonsense". Takes me back to my childhood.
michaelw

Next

Return to Off track