Athletics Weekly

Gatlin positive test

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... nt-events/

Gatlin positive test

Postby bevone » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:59 am

http://www.eurosport.com/athletics/zuri ... 4342.shtml

Oh dear. This would be a life ban - would it not - 2nd offence!

Although it is always good to catch the cheats, what it has done has once again shown that the top sprinters - invariably US or coached over there - seem to be the most prominant group being caught. I suppose it doesn't help that they also seem to be most handsomly rewarded in the sport for the least amount of work.

Also, something I find slightly annoying, is that I imagine many of these people do not see taking drugs and making money out of the sport as a moral dilemma - if they are anything like many of the UK sprinters I know and have known - but just as annoying is some of the comments from posters who take sympathy on such cheaters as if they were the victims.

DC has served his time (only 2 as oppoed to formerely 4 year ban) and is back and good luck to him, however, I am sure if he ended up being a repeat offender, many would still come out and support him. Blind faith?

Maybe there was a fault with the test but why is it only the world's top athletes seem to be caught with high testosterone levels or nandrolone in their urine unlike the numerous club athletes who are tested at club meets?

It is ironic that people cheer for the likes of Marion Jones at CP, probably out of politeness - but she has been implicated in a drugs scandal of which many people will view her as guilty - moreover since the latest revelatins about Gatlin. The very fact that so many world class sprinters have been caught endeers them to suspicion. Cynical but true unfortunately. What is the answer, someone needs to tell these peole to clean their acts up as they are setting a poor example and encourageing others to take drugs as they are more convinced that they have to take drugs because thye think everyone else is! A vicous circle and an easy excuse for some.

Maybe this is why our sprinters aren't competitive, the only ones we have had recently hav been exposed as drug cheats!
bevone

Postby bevone » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:07 pm

I posted on another site asking if anyone knew how htey manipulated a steroid to get THG. I got an answer which actually repeated what I'd siad in the question about manipulating compounds to produce metabolites that are not that testers are looking for. Does anyone know specifically how this was achieved?
bevone

Postby Power-of-ten-man » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:45 pm

Hi Bevone,

do you feel that samples should be frozen for future analysis,in order to catch out the up to date cheats?
Power-of-ten-man

Postby athletic coach » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:32 am

It has now come to the stage that many people now do not recognise world records in certain events and view results with suspicion.

What I do not understand is why did it take so long for the USA drug organisation take so long for the results to come out and why did Gatlin announce it and not the USA T & F organisation.
athletic coach

Postby bevone » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:26 am

This is how long it takes over here aew well - and after the B sample has been tested. I mate of mine got told he had served a 3 month ban two months after he had served it!

If you test people over a time frame you can build up a testosterone or steroid profile jsut as blood tests can be helpful over a period of time. BT's are good to look at haematocrit levels to see if ahtletes are taking EPO - I think if the level is over 50% then that is deemed un natural over 60% and you are in danger of having a stroke as your blood is so thick.

Should we create profiles on athletes - it would take alot of man hours and the storage of a lot of p**s! I think the system as it is is good enough and it is catching people - elite athletes as opposed to not elite athletes so can't really see the problem. Growth hormone, gene therapy and steroid manipulation however, are areas of concern that have already been used for some time.

Follical tests are quite good however, could you imagine the new trend of crew cuts among the women - like GI Janes! Or am I being cynical!
bevone

Postby athletic coach » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:44 am

Understood now! just.

I liked D.Collins comment - "if Harry wanted to go and train in the states I would have to have a long and hard think about it!"

Could have made it clearer " If Harry wanted to go and train with a coach who has had 9 athletes caught with dope inside them including the latest world record holder, I would spend a long time thinking if it would help his training program and the boys reputation, I would know if anything untowards went on immediately, especially if the boy asked where his nearest Boots was"

the right answer would be "I would never sanction a trip such as this again!"
athletic coach

Postby Power-of-ten-man » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:29 pm

Why not apply for collins job A.C :lol: you make a lot more sense than he does.
Power-of-ten-man

Postby Javelin Sam » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:20 pm

a lot of people make a lot more sense than he does
Javelin Sam

Postby athletic coach » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:25 pm

I would be tempted Jennifer, but I do not know if the direct approach would work.

Jennifer is this you.
http://www.bgafd.co.uk/actresses/details.php/id/j0114
athletic coach

DRUGS IN UK SPORT

Postby snetherway » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:01 pm

I AM A PRODUCER AT SKY NEWS AND WE ARE EXTREMELY KEEN TO GET 'BEVONE' OR 'ATHLETIC COACH' TO GIVE THEIR OPINION ON 'DRUGS IN UK SPORT AND THE EFFECTS THEY HAVE'. PLEASE CALL 02075854571 ASAP IF YOU CAN HELP. MANY THANKS, SARAH.
snetherway

Return to Current events (Legacy Only)