Athletics Weekly

Don't forget Beijing 2008!

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... nt-events/

Don't forget Beijing 2008!

Postby Zeus » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:47 pm

Are the Olympics still going ahead in Beijing in 2008? I think they must have been cancelled as nobody has mentioned them in the last year or so. Apparently the only event worth discussion is London 2012.

:roll:
Zeus

Postby Javelin Sam » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:00 pm

what's all this about..olympics...2008..wrong forum mate.. :lol: :wink:
Javelin Sam

Postby Zeus » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:37 am

Whoops! :roll:
Zeus

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:42 am

It's an interesting topic. Has Britain become too obsessed with the 2012 Olympics? Goldie Sayers thinks so:
She is sceptical of the Government's focus on medals to determine where funding goes, and despairs when newspapers profile 12-15-year-old athletes as medal hopes for 2012. 'It's the people who have already done one Olympics who are much more likely to win a medal. In athletics most people peak in their late twenties.'
(Source)

What do others think? Do you like hearing about potential stars of the 2012 Olympics, or do you feel that it has now become repetitive, predictable and boring, and that we probably already know all of the athletes who will be representing Britain in 2012?
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby james montgomery » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:34 pm

Jon wrote:It's an interesting topic. Has Britain become too obsessed with the 2012 Olympics? Goldie Sayers thinks so:
She is sceptical of the Government's focus on medals to determine where funding goes, and despairs when newspapers profile 12-15-year-old athletes as medal hopes for 2012. 'It's the people who have already done one Olympics who are much more likely to win a medal. In athletics most people peak in their late twenties.'
(Source)

What do others think? Do you like hearing about potential stars of the 2012 Olympics, or do you feel that it has now become repetitive, predictable and boring, and that we probably already know all of the athletes who will be representing Britain in 2012?

The way things are going here in the UK I doubt we will have more than 30% of events with qualified athletes from GB and more of the same in 2012. As for medals. Maybe 2 in Bejing and with huge luck perhaps 4 in London. Am I a pesimist? Actually that's an optimistic view.

By the way for all those who go on about the medal count and our ranking in Athens. The medal count is not going to be assessed in future on gold weighting. e.g., a country with 1 gold and nothing else beats all other countries with no matter how many silver and bronzes. In future I believe the medals will be weighted 10, 6. 4 and the total will determine the medals tables position. It was quite unrealistic before.
james montgomery

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:06 pm

james montgomery wrote:The way things are going here in the UK I doubt we will have more than 30% of events with qualified athletes from GB and more of the same in 2012. As for medals. Maybe 2 in Bejing and with huge luck perhaps 4 in London. Am I a pesimist? Actually that's an optimistic view.

By the way for all those who go on about the medal count and our ranking in Athens. The medal count is not going to be assessed in future on gold weighting. e.g., a country with 1 gold and nothing else beats all other countries with no matter how many silver and bronzes. In future I believe the medals will be weighted 10, 6. 4 and the total will determine the medals tables position. It was quite unrealistic before.
All fair comments, but it doesn't quite answer the question I posed. I'm more interested to know whether you're tired with hearing about potential 2012 stars and/or other 2012 Olympic hype?
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby Javelin Sam » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:36 pm

Jon wrote:
james montgomery wrote:The way things are going here in the UK I doubt we will have more than 30% of events with qualified athletes from GB and more of the same in 2012. As for medals. Maybe 2 in Bejing and with huge luck perhaps 4 in London. Am I a pesimist? Actually that's an optimistic view.

All fair comments, but it doesn't quite answer the question I posed. I'm more interested to know whether you're tired with hearing about potential 2012 stars and/or other 2012 Olympic hype?

the stars of today are not necessarily the stars of tomorrow!!!!

those overlooked now may be the ones to develop later and come through as winners!!!

hidden tallent lurking in other sports just waiting to be located...

take the high jumper form the bahamas for instance.. had he not had a bet with his mate he would not be looking at lucrative sponsorship deals and potential stardome but would instead be stuck in the collegiate basket ball system..
Javelin Sam

Postby Zeus » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:51 pm

To answer your question Jon, yes I am already bored with 2012! Every programme from kids shows to the news seems obsessed with finding a 12 year old who will be the hero of the 2012 Games. I feel sorry for the athletes competing at the moment who are being overlooked because of the focus on winning medals in London.
Zeus

Postby Minerva » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:53 pm

james montgomery wrote:

Thats interesting. When will that happen James - is that just for the Olympics or all international events?

As for Jons question - no I am not bored of 2012!! However, I do agree with Goldie in that the media spotlight on youngsters could put a lot of pressure on youngsters
Minerva

Postby Zeus » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:46 pm

I'm bored to my back teeth of London 2012.

It will probably be the most weather-interrupted Olympics ever.
Zeus

Return to Current events (Legacy Only)