Athletics Weekly

Usefulness of the forums?

Any non-athletics related discussion

Usefulness of the forums?

Postby XCrunner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Jon, do you find that the forums are a useful method of obtaining material for Athletics Weekly?

Would it be beneficial to start a regular feature in the Athletics Weekly publication highlighting some of the interesting arguments from this forum?

It would be a good method of advertising this forum and may help bring in more members.
XCrunner

Re: Usefulness of the forums?

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:48 pm

XCrunner wrote:Jon, do you find that the forums are a useful method of obtaining material for Athletics Weekly?
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any posts on this forum that we've used for background info for pieces in AW, but that's not to say that it wouldn't happen in future.

XCrunner wrote:Would it be beneficial to start a regular feature in the Athletics Weekly publication highlighting some of the interesting arguments from this forum? It would be a good method of advertising this forum and may help bring in more members.
That is something that has crossed our minds in the past but have not yet got round to doing it. Keep your eyes peeled. :shock: :wink:
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby Javelin Sam » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:59 pm

ooh i love it...

fame and fortune from forum posting...
Javelin Sam

Postby XCrunner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:39 pm

Javelin Sam wrote:ooh i love it...

fame and fortune from forum posting...
Will we get paid if our postings are incorporated in the AW publication?

Who owns the copright for articles on this forum?
XCrunner

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:40 pm

XCrunner wrote:Will we get paid if our postings are incorporated in the AW publication?
Who owns the copright for articles on this forum?
Both questions are covered in the forum guidelines:
http://www.athletics-weekly.com/forum/v ... .php?t=228
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby Javelin Sam » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:58 am

for those who cannot be bothered to open the link and read through..here it is

6. By posting here, you give Athletics Weekly the right to quote you (without permission and/or compensation) both on this site and in the magazine, Athletics Weekly.
Javelin Sam

Postby james montgomery » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:09 am

Jon wrote:
XCrunner wrote:Jon, do you find that the forums are a useful method of obtaining material for Athletics Weekly?
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any posts on this forum that we've used for background info for pieces in AW, but that's not to say that it wouldn't happen in future.

XCrunner wrote:Would it be beneficial to start a regular feature in the Athletics Weekly publication highlighting some of the interesting arguments from this forum? It would be a good method of advertising this forum and may help bring in more members.
That is something that has crossed our minds in the past but have not yet got round to doing it. Keep your eyes peeled. :shock: :wink:

Well, considering that aside from the individual fans club posts the rest of are pretty much damning about the state of the sport in one way or another, so you would hardly use these as "background material" for AW as it would rather contradict the magazine's pro UKA stance and you would have a job defending the indefensible. So Frank Horwill, Pete Thompson and Max Jones's articles are about as heavy as it gets. (Mike Winch's was an exception!) Come to think of it I have never seen the Forum advertised or promoted in the magazine. If it has been it needs to be more prominent.
james montgomery

Postby eldrick » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:59 am

why on earth woud aw ever bother publishing the almost complete drivel posted in these forums ( mostly in the nonsensical "politics" forum ) ?

it's a commercial magazine - meaning, every aspect has to eventually make money

it probably sounded like commercial sense to open a forum soon after the site was set up, in order to garner some interesting opinion & perhaps ultimately persuade non-subscribed posters to buy the mag

most enterprises are willing to take on a "loss-leader" for a few months, envisaging that the loss will eventually lead to a lead

unfortunately, ~ 1/2 dozen lossers have pretty much condemned the likely commercial gain to aw from this forum to < 0

as the great

Don Trump

states:

"You're Fired !"

some firing needs to be done on the contents/availabilty of this forum
eldrick

Postby daisy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:19 am

eldrick wrote:some firing needs to be done on the contents/availabilty of this forum

Speaking of content was there ever a Tamsyn Lewis thread with regard to her rapidly filing a complaint in the relay. If that doesn't even make current events i have to agree with eldrick. <0 sounds about right.
daisy

Postby james montgomery » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:58 am

eldrick wrote:why on earth woud aw ever bother publishing the almost complete drivel posted in these forums ( mostly in the nonsensical "politics" forum ) ?

it's a commercial magazine - meaning, every aspect has to eventually make money

it probably sounded like commercial sense to open a forum soon after the site was set up, in order to garner some interesting opinion & perhaps ultimately persuade non-subscribed posters to buy the mag

most enterprises are willing to take on a "loss-leader" for a few months, envisaging that the loss will eventually lead to a lead

unfortunately, ~ 1/2 dozen lossers have pretty much condemned the likely commercial gain to aw from this forum to < 0

as the great

Don Trump

states:

"You're Fired !"

some firing needs to be done on the contents/availabilty of this forum

Well I guess you must also be including your own posts in the "drivel" section. And as you post regularly and presumably read, although not necessarily understand, the rest of the forum posts, it rather contradicts your premise. You seem to enjoy it (?) so why wouldn't others?

ps. I'm not sure that AW is commercially making any money anyway?
james montgomery

Postby eldrick » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:29 am

just a post to try & bring the "lossers" out of the woodwork

q e d
eldrick

Postby Moebius » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:54 am

just a post to try & bring the "lossers" out of the woodwork

I take it by "lossers" you mean losers in which case you are inferring that I am one also. You take a lot upon your shoulders setting yourself up as a judge of others in which case at least do a spell check before you denigrate other posters.

I find that to actually "get see behind the scenes", as it were, fascinating and a breath of fresh air from the usual gloss of the front cover that we only get to see in the magazine. This way we get the rough with the smooth including your posts too.
Moebius

Postby eldrick » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

more q e d

let's see when it gets upto 1/2-a-dozen...
eldrick

Postby Moebius » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:05 pm

I answered the original topics question about its usefullness.

What the hell are doing, losser.
Moebius

Postby eldrick » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:27 pm

yawn...
eldrick

Postby Javelin Sam » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:42 pm

it's only a forum...
Javelin Sam

Postby Minerva » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:08 pm

james montgomery wrote:
Well, considering that aside from the individual fans club posts the rest of are pretty much damning about the state of the sport in one way or another, .

Not being funny - but the only reason every post ends up being damning about the sport is a handful of people who pretty much only post comments damning the sport in every thread they can.

Others offer a balance of positive comment and negative, however the balance swings to the negative due to those committed to their own agendas. Thats their right to do so, but I don think it necessarily reflects the majority of posters.

By the way, not everyone that isnt damning and critical all the time is part of an individual 'fan club' I have lots of roles in athletics, and yes being a supporter is one of them - but I am not in any individual or AW fan club. I just dont have an agenda to pursue.
Minerva

Postby Stan » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:43 am

james montgomery wrote:the magazine's pro UKA stance

James, do you have any evidence for this whatsoever? If not, then please don't bother posting as this is yet another thread that you have spoiled.
Stan

Postby james montgomery » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:19 am

Stan wrote:

James, do you have any evidence for this whatsoever? If not, then please don't bother posting as this is yet another thread that you have spoiled.

If you read the magazine its self evident. But note. I have not said it is a bad magazine. Quite the contrary. It is often insightful, interesting and informative (obviously) and over the years essential reading. But it is, in its current manifestation, without doubt, pro UKA. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but not to the point where it refuses to question the performance, the political ambitions of the governing body and it's stakeholders and in its editorial, heavily criticises others who do.
james montgomery

Postby james montgomery » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:35 pm

james montgomery wrote:
Stan wrote:

If you read the magazine its self evident. But note. I have not said it is a bad magazine. Quite the contrary. It is often insightful, interesting and informative (obviously) and over the years essential reading. But it is, in its current manifestation, without doubt, pro UKA. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but not to the point where it refuses to question the performance, the political ambitions of the governing body and it's stakeholders and in its editorial, heavily criticises others who do.

Well, nobody came back on that one so I can assume I'm right?
james montgomery

Postby Stan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:00 pm

james montgomery wrote:Well, nobody came back on that one so I can assume I'm right?

"Don't feed the trolls"
Stan

Postby daisy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:30 pm

james montgomery wrote:Well, nobody came back on that one so I can assume I'm right?

I don't subscribe :shock:, so i can't comment.
daisy

Postby Brighton Boy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:51 am

No it is just that as always you fail to provide any evidence for your assertions.

Eldrick is right - you are a twonk!
Brighton Boy

Postby bekeselassie » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:01 am

Can you imagine the self-appraisal I'd have to give myself if I assumed I was "right" every time people ignored me? :shock: :shock:
bekeselassie

Postby kima » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:44 am

[quote="james montgomery

Well, nobody came back on that one so I can assume I'm right?[/quote]

Actually I think we are in a UKA/ABCD or whatever the hell the other entity is called :wink: induced coma. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You have made me appreciate little old Athletics Canada though! :D
kima

Return to Off track