Athletics Weekly

Another Christie athlete injured

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Another Christie athlete injured

Postby buzz_ig » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Is it just me, or do Linford Christie's athletes all end up with hamstring injuries? Christian Malcolm the latest on a long list.
buzz_ig

Postby Moebius » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:19 pm

Well they have supposedly the best medical backup out there and one would assume that their preparation was worked out so whats happening? they are dropping like flies.?
We all know they are all highly strung working on a knife edge but so is every other athlete competing over there so whats the problem with our lot? Always the same tired excuses ie, Goldie Sayers too for instance, slipped, didnt connect, too early in the season blah blah blah, can it get any worse?
Moebius

Postby oranges123 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:34 pm

I agree, our athletes are always full of excuses
oranges123

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:49 pm

I haven't seen the interview or whatever of Sayers, but to be fair to the athletes, what are they supposed to say when asked why they didn't do as well as expected? Yes, they can give the standard "I just didn't have it today" or some such cliche but there is a reason for everything. (I am fat, I have never run a marathon before, they entered me in the wrong event etc. :wink: ).

I agree that some athletes do make excuses but most know they have only themselves to blame . They live with the results- we have the luxury f moving on to the next event..

And when they do well they do it for us. :roll:
kima

Postby james montgomery » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:03 pm

oranges123 wrote:I agree, our athletes are always full of excuses

The problem lies in the new feely, touchy, "are you ok?" "get some physio, see the doctor" syndrome. In the days of "Tough of the Track" Alf Tupper- men were men and worked down the pits for 12 hours a day and lived on beer and fish and chips, before they went training. And boys were just boys. But most of our athletes today are just big girl's blouses and don't even compete enough.

When there wasn't medical support and free on demand physio for every little pain and ache, athletes just got on with it. Today seeing your physio every 48 hours is part of the training programme. Wasn't it someone famous who said, "physician heal thyself"? If they had to pay for treatment out of their lottery funding I suspect there would be far far fewer "injuries" (now this post will definitely open up the responses from the likes of "outraged from Tunbridge Wells.")
james montgomery

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:12 pm

James -have you seen the movie Grumpy Old Men?

You would really like it. :wink:

And for the record-I don't completely disagree with you- not at all. I coach young athltes and they do seem more wimpy and coddled that in the past.
There are some wonderful benefits to today's modern medicine and knowledge about training etc. though.

Try and see the positive side too.
kima

Postby james montgomery » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:21 pm

kima wrote:James -have you seen the movie Grumpy Old Men?

You would really like it. :wink:

And for the record-I don't completely disagree with you- not at all. I coach young athltes and they do seem more wimpy and coddled that in the past.
There are some wonderful benefits to today's modern medicine and knowledge about training etc. though.

Try and see the positive side too.

Kima, it was meant to be a bit tounge in cheek. I certainly do see the positive side of it for real injuries and need but I'll still believe that too many athletes use it as a crutch...because it's there.

Grumpy Old Men , the movie, Where's that on then? Don't you mean tv series.? I'm in it, you fool! Now I've given it away.
james montgomery

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:45 pm

It's a movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107050/

Cheers- hard to get the tone of voice here. :wink:

You are a TV star?? Well that explains the attitude as well! :lol: :lol:
kima

Postby WALDORF » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:37 am

Is the poster just having an undignified pop at christie and co. There is no special way of making hamstring injuries, nor can we invent a method to detect them before they happen, though a few super dooper poopers think they can! :?

So I guess it's just you .
WALDORF

Postby eldrick » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:40 am

james montgomery wrote:
oranges123 wrote:I agree, our athletes are always full of excuses

The problem lies in the new feely, touchy, "are you ok?" "get some physio, see the doctor" syndrome. In the days of "Tough of the Track" Alf Tupper- men were men and worked down the pits for 12 hours a day and lived on beer and fish and chips, before they went training. And boys were just boys. But most of our athletes today are just big girl's blouses and don't even compete enough.

When there wasn't medical support and free on demand physio for every little pain and ache, athletes just got on with it. Today seeing your physio every 48 hours is part of the training programme. Wasn't it someone famous who said, "physician heal thyself"? If they had to pay for treatment out of their lottery funding I suspect there would be far far fewer "injuries" (now this post will definitely open up the responses from the likes of "outraged from Tunbridge Wells.")

yeah

& how many total gold medals in all sports at an olympics did gb win in those alf tupper dayz ?

& how many golds did gb win in all sports at an olympics in '00 & '04 with these "big girls blouses" running to the doctor/physio every day ???
eldrick

Return to Current events