Athletics Weekly

The CWG for Dummies

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

The CWG for Dummies

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:23 am

I'd love for anyone who has the time or inclination to post their observations and thoughts on the action at the games.
Can't see them so any updates or details are most appreciated.
kima

Re: The CWG for Dummies

Postby SQUACKEE » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:40 am

kima wrote:I'd love for anyone who has the time or inclination to post their observations and thoughts on the action at the games.
Can't see them so any updates or details are most appreciated.

Did you say anyone? Mottram ran fast. That is all. I have seen nothin and know very little of any of the action or events or personalities or heats or cat fights. I can tell you of all the action i didnt see, i thought the best was Mottram. Of the action i did see i have nothin to say has i didnt see anything but i would love to comment on what i would have seen if i had seen the kind of action that i think is worth seeing on the international scene of athletics and what not.
SQUACKEE

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:49 am

Oh dear lord. :?

Get yourself into rehab now. (surely you have connections in that regard) :wink:
kima

Postby Minerva » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:53 am

Well here goes.

I am glad I am living Australian time and watching the action live as I've just seen Liz Yelling get her first major medal - she got bronze in the marathon - and also Dan Robinson got bronze in the mens marathon.

Two finals and two medals for England already - sorry there have been none for Canada in the athletics yet.

Mens 100 heats saw Asafa jogging to win his heat in 10.53 - and Mark Lewis Francis breaking the stadium record to qualify first in his heat with 10.22.

Jason Gardener looked very stiff and seemed to be suffering with his back, though he also took his heat win as did Marlon Devonish who looked quite smooth. Christian Malcolm pulled up injured in his heat :-(

The crowd supporting the marathon was amazing - there was support most of the way along the route - and 80,000 in the stadium to greet the athletes at the end and the cheers were as loud for the non Austrailians as they were for the Austrailians - perhaps with the exception of the winner of the womens marathon Kerryn Mccann who only narrowly beat the Kenyan Cherono in a sprint finish - good stuff for the opening morning.

Cant see the action at the moment as they are showing swimming which although I enjoy the swimming is frustrating as the shot putt has been on and not shown and the javelin has started and is not being shown live - WHY DONT FIELD EVENTS COUNT? I heard Steve Cram say he was amazed at the turn out of the crowd considering there were only two track events in this session - so the final of the womens javelin obviously isnt worth coming in for then Steve?

Off to watch the swimming - just in case they flick over for the shot/javelin!!!!!
Minerva

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:04 am

Minerva you are a goddess! :D

Thank you thank you.

Keep it coming sistah!

(of course I can get results but I want the story to go with them).
kima

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:24 am

After 4 rounds Sayers is not in a medal position. :(
kima

Postby Minerva » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:31 am

kima wrote:Minerva you are a goddess! :D

Thank you thank you.

Keep it coming sistah!

(of course I can get results but I want the story to go with them).

Ok - will try and give as much detail as I can.

Womens 100 field seems really open - I was shocked at just how easily the English girls got through to the semis. I'd like to think it is a resurgence of British female sprinting, but more likely its the big names missing from the field. Would be pretty good to see a British medallist. Laura Turner produced a PB in the first heat which bodes well.

In the womens marathon Kate Smythe the second Austrialian home (in fifth or sixth I think) collapsed on the finish line - it was so painful to watch her almost marching with stuck out high legs and could see she was losing control of her legs and looking really ill. I know my husband has collapsed yards in front of the finish line on a marathon course before and his frustration at not being able top move anymore when he was well inside his PB, and it was so painful to watch and everyone was willing her to the line - and she did make it.

Theres a chap in the mens marathon still running - heading for a time of about 4 hours!! He has never run a marathon before (so there's hope for me yet).

Funny commentating error of the day - our Brendon Foster complaining there was an intruder on the track pretending to take third place in the mens marathon when he was expecting the Brit lad Dan Robinson to come in for the bronze medal - and it turned out it was one of the late finishers of the womens marathon!!!!!

Hope it gives you a flavour

Womens 400 heats coming up soon
Minerva

Postby Minerva » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:32 am

kima wrote:After 4 rounds Sayers is not in a medal position. :(

aaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhh

I'm not watching it live - it will be on in 30 minutes........

Maybe she saving it for the last round (off to cross fingers)
Minerva

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:22 am

Darn- 5th . I am sure she she will be disappointed.
kima

Postby Minerva » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:50 am

kima wrote:Darn- 5th . I am sure she she will be disappointed.

I expect so - she was over 61m regularly early last season which would have won it.

Canada's Anson Henry looked good in the 100ms to finish second in a tough heat just behind Powell and beat some excellent other sprinters. MLF got left behind a lot at the start and had to play catch up. Apparantly he got caught off guard by Asafas fast start!!!!

Jason Gardener out - he just seemed to be start treading water halfway through the race having led up until that point. Not sure what happened but as I currently have a back strain myself I can have a pretty good guess!!!

Ohurugu looked good for the womens 400 - medals must be Williams-Darling, Amertil and Ohurugu. Hopefulyl Ohurugo will have the edge over Amertil after her exploits last weekend in Moscow but I dont suppose anyone will get near Tonique. Kim Wall did well to get an automatic qualifying place, though Catherine Murphy was lucky to get through as a fastest loser after a poor race.

In the 100s Asafa seemd to be jogging again - in fact he almost seemd to stop before the line and was lookign down and it looked like there was a problem, but he was just so confident of winning and found it a tad too easy by the looks of it.

Now off to bed for a few hours ready for the next shift in a few hours time!!!
Minerva

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:22 pm

Been reading about the women's marathon. What a race. I am very happy for the Aussie- and she is 38! Yay for us older ladies!!! :lol: Okay compared to me she is young..oh never mind. :wink:

See this is what I love about the CWG (they are probably my fav comp!) . People who would not win in a world class situation get a chance to shine. Not that there aren't many great athletes in the CWG but you know what I mean.

Good news about Anson. It would be great if he made the final. 8)

Men's dec starts today- give me the news when you can Minerva (and others). please :oops:

What time does the athletics coverage start your time? :shock:
kima

Postby Minerva » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:16 pm

kima wrote:Been reading about the women's marathon. What a race. I am very happy for the Aussie- and she is 38! Yay for us older ladies!!! :lol: Okay compared to me she is young..oh never mind. :wink:

See this is what I love about the CWG (they are probably my fav comp!) . People who would not win in a world class situation get a chance to shine. Not that there aren't many great athletes in the CWG but you know what I mean.

Good news about Anson. It would be great if he made the final. 8)

Men's dec starts today- give me the news when you can Minerva (and others). please :oops:

What time does the athletics coverage start your time? :shock:

Oh its on most of the time - I have got interactive so during the non live time I can catch up with other sports during the day. Think it will kick off here about 2100ish.

I am rather tired - I stayed up until 0400 watching it live - went to bed until 0700 then got up to watch the live swimming and cycling then went to bed at 1100 for 2 hours so am sleeping in shifts. I have not done shift work for years!!!

Cant wait for tonight as its decathlon - not only routing to see Dean Macey get a major gold medal, but also to see how Dale Garland does as he is continually improving and I think he will set another PB again here.

Totally supporting "older women" out there - the silver medalilst in the Javelin was 40 so I've got a couple of years yet to get my throwing right!

I was due to compete in my opening competition today but I do have a back injury and was leaving the decision to the last possible moment as it was only an 'open meet' - but after seeiing Jason Gardener run badly last night with his back strain I thought it would probably do my confidence more damage to go and get a poor baseline measure than to miss it on this occasion. Plus getting nagged by the family that a back is for life not just for competition!!!

Will try and pop on here and add some 'colour' to the results during the night if I can tear myself away from the TV!
Minerva

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:32 pm

Don't miss any of the action on my account (not that you would you athletics obssessed fan you) :wink: :D

Good decision on the back.
kima

Postby Moebius » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:57 pm

Kima I do not know if it has been posted already or not (cant be bothered to look through old posts) but you can keep current with live/recorded games video here;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport
Moebius

Postby kima » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:09 pm

Will that show live coverage?

Right now there is something on about flying over Melbourne in a ballon.

I didn't think we could get live coverage fronm BBC fom NA.

Edited to add:

Yes just read through it. Only in Britain can get you get live stuff.

I appreciate you thinking of me.
kima

Postby Alf Shrubb » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:46 pm

Minerva: Thanks for the reports.

A question for you: I assume that this track was built in the MCG just for this meet and will be removed immediately afterwards. Is that correct? It's my understanding that there hasn't been a track in that stadium since the '56 Olympics... Thanks!
Alf Shrubb

Postby Minerva » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:24 pm

Alf Shrubb wrote:Minerva: Thanks for the reports.

A question for you: I assume that this track was built in the MCG just for this meet and will be removed immediately afterwards. Is that correct? It's my understanding that there hasn't been a track in that stadium since the '56 Olympics... Thanks!

You are right on both accounts.

Breaks my heart to think it will be ripped up in order to return it back to a cricket ground!!!! Thats nearly as bad as having it ripped up to turn it into a ground for Manchester City!!!!

Marathon course was very interesting going past significant other stadia and being run partly on the Australian F1 GP circuit.

30 minutes to go before Dean is in action - fingers crossed his fantastic but 'vulnerable' body can hold up for 10 events.

I wont whinge about my back anymore after seeing the English girl get a gold medal in the cycling today only 5 months after a spinal injury where doctors were not even sure if she would walk again let alone cycle at world level - what a girl. PMA in abundance!! I know its not athletics related for this forum but oh to have just a little bit of the determination and courage she has.
Minerva

Postby Minerva » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:45 pm

kima wrote:Don't miss any of the action on my account (not that you would you athletics obssessed fan you) :wink: :D

Good decision on the back.

Its ok - I've decided to be a bit of a nerd and set up my wireless laptop on the sofa with me so I can access results of the field events by round as although coverage is good they dont show much of the field events. That way I can pop on here without missing anything.

I would never miss any action for the sake of this forum - heck I got sunstroke in Athens in 2004 by staying to watch every last heat and every jump in the mens decathlon pole vault. I am currently watching the womens walk (that is dedication) :lol:
Minerva

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:22 am

Womens walk was well supported even though it finished outside of the stadium - but then it may be that an Australian 1-2-3 as always on the cards anyway.

Decathlon I've put on another thread.

Mark Boswell looking good for the high jump and qualified off one jump at 2.15. Pretty poor that 2.10 was enough to qualify so nobody had to get the 2.20 qualifying height. Very pleased to see young Tom Parsons go through too. Ben Challenge cleared 2.10 very easily - but just couldnt get 2.15 - hope he can raise his game for the final. Ironic that he jumped 2.30 in Madrid last year and didnt make the final yet he makes it here with 2.10!!

Hayley Tullet and Helen Clitheroe won their heats of the 1500 and Hayley Tullet has a very good chance of gold based on her performance this morning.
Minerva

Postby kima » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:39 am

I am hoping Carmen gives her a run for the gold. It should be a great race.

GO CARMEN!!! :D
kima

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:55 am

kima wrote:I am hoping Carmen gives her a run for the gold. It should be a great race.

GO CARMEN!!! :D

Maybe........but she will need to do better than she did in the heats!!! (Though I guess she is saving herself :o )

OK - she was fairly close behind Hayley so it should be a good tussel in the final.

Go Hayley!
Minerva

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:50 am

Canada's Anson Henry scrapes into the mens 100 final after Michael Frater and MLF are both DQ from the second semi final :(

Powell still doesnt seem to be putting any effort in and is continuing to win easily. Without Frater to push him he just needs to avoid a false start to win!!!

Marlon Devonish just got into the final but looked nothing like as good as he did in the heats.

How about this then - only one male Brit in the 100 finals but 2 women have made it to their final!!!! :shock:

Jennifer Joyce broke the games record in the hammer and was winning at the halfway point with 67.29 but home girl Krueger has just taken 1st place with 67.90 - this is a great comp. Defending champ Lorraine Shaw currently in third with 64.15. Am really pleased for the 'old girl' - I thought one of the younger Brits would outplace her - though there is still time!!
Minerva

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:03 am

Minerva wrote:Ohurugu looked good for the womens 400 - medals must be Williams-Darling, Amertil and Ohurugu. Hopefulyl Ohurugo will have the edge over Amertil after her exploits last weekend in Moscow but I dont suppose anyone will get near Tonique.
Ohuruogu beat Tonique Darling in the semi-final!

After the 400m heats, Colin Jackson said that Tonique is still "the big favourite" which surprises me. Did he not see Amertil's superb 50.34 run at the World Indoors? She is already in sub-50 shape (although the travel may take its toll) whereas Tonique has not shown any sort of convincing form as yet.

Things are VERY even. Tonique has the better championship record but is not in good form. Amertil is in form but is starting to show signs of tiredness. Ohuruogu is the underdog and could cause a bit of a shock...
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:34 am

So Asafa now has a gold medal and he didnt even need to break into sweat or go sub 10 - he slowed well before the line. 8)
Minerva

Postby kima » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:17 pm

Very pleased for Jennifer Joyce! She is a local athletes ( from my province) and she was left off the Olympic and WC teams in the past.

Our 1500m showdown is today right? :twisted:
kima

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:29 pm

kima wrote:Very pleased for Jennifer Joyce! She is a local athletes ( from my province) and she was left off the Olympic and WC teams in the past.

I heard the Canadian national anthem today in the gymnastics. Its quite a nice tune - funny how I can't recall hearing it very much :P
Minerva

Postby kima » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:35 pm

Minerva wrote:
kima wrote:Very pleased for Jennifer Joyce! She is a local athletes ( from my province) and she was left off the Olympic and WC teams in the past.

I heard the Canadian national anthem today in the gymnastics. Its quite a nice tune - funny how I can't recall hearing it very much :P

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I may have mentioned this before but my city is full of old ex pats.
When the Victoria CWG were on they all trooped out and sang your anthem with great emotion. :roll: :roll:

Trying to be the friendly polite Canuck, I asked the woman next to me where in Britain she was from (decked out in the Union Jack). Turns out she lived up the street from me. :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock:

But we are still the best damn country in the world! :P 8)
kima

Postby kima » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:47 am

I don't know if all read the sad story about Mark Boswell's mum. Just before Mark left for Melbourne she had a stroke, heart attack and anyerism! (spelling?) :(
Mark has not been able to train or focus on the meet (obviously) and my heart goes out to him.
Mark has a great spirit and is a great ambassador for our sport.
For the first time ever I sent off an encouraging email to an athlete at a major comp.
Cheer Mark on will ya? :)
kima

Postby Minerva » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:56 am

kima wrote:I don't know if all read the sad story about Mark Boswell's mum. Just before Mark left for Melbourne she had a stroke, heart attack and anyerism! (spelling?) :(
Mark has not been able to train or focus on the meet (obviously) and my heart goes out to him.
Mark has a great spirit and is a great ambassador for our sport.
For the first time ever I sent off an encouraging email to an athlete at a major comp.
Cheer Mark on will ya? :)

That is sad - though I expect he will just be more determined to win.

It was a bit like Scotlands Chris Baille getting silver in the 110h today breaking his late brothers record (Ross).

On a more cheery note, Martyn Rooney looked great in the 400 semi final and he has just broken Roger Black's British Junior record. About time someone broke that. Francique was nearly run out - I think the Australian Steffanson looks dangerous for the final and would love to think Rooney could grab a medal in what seems now to be an open field.
Minerva

Postby Minerva » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:29 am

Although some big British names have dropped out or disappointed in the sprints there have been some PBs and surprises elsewhere. Its been a good evening. Not only did Lisa Dobriskey get a surprise gold and Dean get his long sought after gold, but Nadia Williams increased her triple jump PB for a bronze mdeal.

Well done all
Minerva

Next

Return to Current events