Athletics Weekly

Aviva World Trials and UK Champs

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Aviva World Trials and UK Champs

Postby pedro1970 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:04 pm

I know it's 2 weeks until the trials but thought i would post this to start it off. :D

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/athle ... mpionships
pedro1970

Re: Aviva World Trials and UK Champs

Postby jjimbojames » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:46 pm

What do people expect to be the highlight of the trials?

mDT, m400mH, m400, w800m and w1500m stand out for me - all have about four or five people fighting for three slots, and a mix of young and old coming together, whilst w400m has uncertainty with CO and NS looking like heading in the right direction (1937/72/roseben/benny - I know you're watching - no, I don't expect anything less than 51s, I'm on about racing, not times)

mLJ could be another good battle - hopefully three over 8m
jjimbojames

Postby SteveK26 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 pm

Jimbo
Mens 110h looks a cracker, with the likes of Turner, Clarke,Pozzi, Sharman and Frankis.
Lets hope most of the top names show up for the champs in reasonable shape.
SteveK26

Postby paul » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:21 am

in the w100m,
3 of the top 4 and
5 of the top 8 in the UK all-time list
should show up for the trials. (And that does not include Jodie Williams.)

issues with wind readings, inconsistency, and the tall shadow of Kathy Cook, complicate this event.
But there are so many decent runners around at the moment.
Maybe this year there will be something special...
paul

Postby sidelined » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:05 pm

The women's 800 is going to be very interesting. Only Jenny M has the A standard. Maz is trying to re-establish herself, and Jemma Simpson has had some kind of injury problem. If one of these three doesn't take it out hard (and even if they do) they could be under threat from the young guns Jackson and Sharp who both have strong finishes. Jemma won't front-run, Maz says she's fed up with being the pace-maker...

In the men's 400 hurdles the Woodward/Green rematch should be good - but will Rhys Williams be able to get in front of either of them? The trials won't be the end of the story anyway, because presumably the third and fourth-placed men will have to slug it out at Crystal Palace.
sidelined

Postby 3a » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:42 pm

For just ONCE, can the Brit trials actually put up some good marks? That match the actual talent on view?

Women's
If I have to see a decent women's field won by Laura Turner or Joice Maduaka in 11.4/11.5 - I'll vomit

Someone of Kwakye, Onoura, Jodie (please do the trials) Phillips and Nelson (is she injured?) can surely run an 11.2/11.1??? PLEASE

Cox v McConnell v TBO v Sanders v Sotherton should/could see 3 or 4 of them sub 52 seconds

Oyepitan is going to run a 22.5 :P

I'd like to see Shara Proctor with a 6'80 and Jess with a PB in the 6'60 region :P

Women's 800m will see a breakthough for someone: Jackson sub 2? Whatever happened to Pritchard?

Women's 1500 - Helen v Charlene v Lisa v England.... It's gonna be slow, let's be honest....but very competetive. Get the feeling Lisa peaked a couple fo years ago.

PV: Hope Holly drags Kate to her best. To 4.50 + gals would be super

100m hurdles wouldn't it be great to see a record? Tiff V Ennis (With luckiest Olympic finalist ever, Claxton....an also ran these days)

^^^^ Unfortunately, it'll probably lash and have gale force winds and have results along the lines of 11'6, 13'1, 23'25, 52.1, 2'02, 4'09, 6.45 :cry: :cry:

Men's
Tomlinson V Rutherford :lol: Awesome

400mh
Greene......Green v Williams v Woodward.......others against the 50 second barrier

Men's 400m
Does anyone even have the A this year?
Rooney v Bingham v Steele v Levine............ Lennon-Ford/Tobin

Men's 100m and 200m.......... Come the world champs they'll all go out in the semis if they get that far so who really cares :cry:

Men's HJ: When will Mason return??? :cry: I want to see another Brit challenge the 2'30 mark

I always enjoy the competition of the Brits......like I said, for once, I'd love some quality marks.
3a

Postby SteveK26 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:40 pm

3a
Not quite sure why you are so apathetic towards the men sprinters.
I know they can't get amongst the Jamaicans yet, but we can always hope for a breakthrough. Overall they are probably better quality than their female counterparts, if you take Dwain as our no. 1.
SteveK26

Postby Blindfaith » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Entry lists are up on the UKA website, with indication of those who have accepted their invitation....

http://www.uka.org.uk/aviva-series/aviv ... line-list/
Blindfaith

Postby 3a » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 pm

No Bernice Wilson in the women' 100m. She had a solid indoor season, injured?
I wonder will Ania show up.

No Jemma Simpson?
No Charlene Thomas?
3a

Postby jjimbojames » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Blindfaith wrote:Entry lists are up on the UKA website, with indication of those who have accepted their invitation....

http://www.uka.org.uk/aviva-series/aviv ... line-list/

I don't know why they bother with the 'invited' lists at this stage - doesn't really tell us much when half the people haven't officially accepted at the time of putting it online - a timetable would suffice. That said, fairly poor form not to have accepted at this stage - it is only 10 days away, after all!
jjimbojames

Postby Pink Pitt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Been on the UKA site for entries have'nt got many of the athletes correct PB or SB. I wonder who is in charge of the stats :?
Pink Pitt

Postby tucker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:46 pm

the entry lists and pbs are a joke lol i just had a look and they have my pb in the shot put down as what i threw when i was 17 years old.
tucker

Postby Ecosse » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Where is James Dasaolu? He hasnt run since that Swiss meet.

Think he's the most talented sprinter we've got, would be under 10 secs if he'd stayed fit.
Ecosse

Postby trevorp » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:52 pm

^ I agree with Ecosse. I just wish James could get - and stay - fit and have a full season as he has the potential to be our best by a long way.
trevorp

Postby BBC » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 am

Is James Dasaolu injured ?
BBC

Postby mump boy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:26 am

SteveK26 wrote:3a
Not quite sure why you are so apathetic towards the men sprinters.
I know they can't get amongst the Jamaicans yet, but we can always hope for a breakthrough. Overall they are probably better quality than their female counterparts, if you take Dwain as our no. 1.

I treat UK mens 100m runners like RUS female 800m runners or Kenyan 5k runners. They appear run well once then go back to mediocrity, i have no idea who any of them are and could differentiate if you put a gun to my head. I just want one of them ti step up and give me a reason to be interested
mump boy

Postby SteveK26 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:28 am

Mump
My point is that they are still better , en masse, than our women.

The difference could be that the women's standards globally are lower, so that when someone like Jodie comes along the top of the pile seems attainable. I guess a lot of pundits out there are not interested in our male sprinters because of the standards Bolt and co. are setting.

I'm still interested , though, because (as this season has demonstrated in a no. of events) breakthroughs are always possible.
SteveK26

Postby Tracker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 pm

3a wrote:No Bernice Wilson in the women' 100m. She had a solid indoor season, injured?
I wonder will Ania show up.

No Jemma Simpson?
No Charlene Thomas?

Bernice Wilson is not there because she recently tested positive for steroids. Just saw it on Sky news.
Not good. :x they really pi** me off.
Tracker

Postby Kermit » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:25 pm

It will be a certainty that the main topics of discussion for the talking heads next weekend will be between Twittergate and Bernice Wilson, not enough showing of events or praising the U23s, Jodie Williams, TOP or Mo the Magnificent (got to be front runner for SPOTY11)
Kermit

Postby Kermit » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:59 pm

I saw a tweet yesterday that Mo the Magnificent will be running the 5000m
Kermit

Postby SteveK26 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:28 am

The likely GB team for Daegu will have a serious chance of winning 4 gold medals; if that happens it will be a first!!

The trials should be very interesting.
SteveK26

Postby merito » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 am

Steve, it's not just the golds that are exciting. I believe medals of all colours could reach 12+ (with a bit of luck and a following wind). This is the first time in many years that I am impressed by UK Athletics. Could they be getting it right just in time for London?
merito

Postby SteveK26 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:41 am

merito wrote:Steve, it's not just the golds that are exciting. I believe medals of all colours could reach 12+ (with a bit of luck and a following wind). This is the first time in many years that I am impressed by UK Athletics. Could they be getting it right just in time for London?

Merito
Not quite sure what you mean by UK Athletics, but currently I am very impressed with the rising standards of the athletes themselves. Of course the prospect of a home Olympics is likely having an effect. The interesting thing is the recent spread of improving events. Throws and jumps are now moving on a pace after so many stagnant years. Its great to see, and lets hope it continues.
SteveK26

Postby merito » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:49 am

Sorry Steve, I mean athletics within the UK and not the organisation!
merito

Postby mump boy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:15 am

God forbit

i love how when everything goes wrong it's UKA's fault and when things are going right it has nothing to do with UKA :? you can't have it both ways

There are certainly 12 or more medal chances but i don't see 12 medals or anything like
mump boy

Postby LiamRiley » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:38 pm

mump boy wrote:God forbit

i love how when everything goes wrong it's UKA's fault and when things are going right it has nothing to do with UKA :? you can't have it both ways

There are certainly 12 or more medal chances but i don't see 12 medals or anything like

This is public view of governing bodies - anything done right was something that should have been done anyway (if not earlier), anything done wrong is the fault of government.

This somewhat pessimistic view can actually serve as a driver for good governance, as bodies find themselves constantly striving to prove themselves merely acceptable to the public and needing to resolve any key issues raised by the public. We are fickle and broad of opinion...when we aren't apathetic :?

There are quite a few athletes that I'll be excited about watching in Daegu. As one of the more hardcore athletics fans, I won't be scornful if people like Chris Tomlinson and Greg Rutherford, for instance, just finish outside the medals with a top quality jump. Medals are great, but it is immensely cynical to disregard performances like Rutherford's in Berlin just because there wasn't a piece of metal attached to it.
LiamRiley

Postby SteveK26 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Liam
I'm happy if athletes perform at or close to their abilities. regardless of medals.
Medals are always the icing, and will be achieved if the above happens.
SteveK26

Postby Kermit » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:32 am

If an athlete peaks in the finals and gets a pb that's all they can do, medal or not.

Andy Turner will run 100m
Kermit

Postby mump boy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 am

SteveK26 wrote:Liam
I'm happy if athletes perform at or close to their abilities. regardless of medals.
Medals are always the icing, and will be achieved if the above happens.

This ^ i am just as happy with an unexpected final placing as i am with an expected medal
mump boy

Postby boysen » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:36 am

Ref earlier query re Ms Pritchard..she has been Mrs Moss for some time and ran 2.13 in June.
boysen

Next

Return to Current events