Athletics Weekly

Over the counter medicine

Any non-athletics related discussion

Over the counter medicine

Postby roadrunner » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:01 pm

I avoid drugs as much as I can. I am never sure what is in them and I am always a little concerned about what affects they will have on me.

I have a bit of a cold at the moment, am I best just letting it go on its own accord, or am I best buying something to take to help it go quickly? And if so, what?

How can I check that the medicine I buy over the counter from the chemist does not contain stuff athletes who are competing should not be taking?
roadrunner

Re: Over the counter medicine

Postby james montgomery » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:44 pm

roadrunner wrote:I avoid drugs as much as I can. I am never sure what is in them and I am always a little concerned about what affects they will have on me.

I have a bit of a cold at the moment, am I best just letting it go on its own accord, or am I best buying something to take to help it go quickly? And if so, what?

How can I check that the medicine I buy over the counter from the chemist does not contain stuff athletes who are competing should not be taking?

No known medicine will cure a cold or make it go more quickly. Try a vindaloo. Works for me and as far as I know has no illegal ergogenic effect!
james montgomery

Postby Dora The Explorer » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:22 pm

As far as I can think of no products on the market claim to cure colds, they can only fight the symptoms. I find that if the body can't rid itself of a cold after 4 days or so it's probably due to being a bit run down and herbal stuff from health food shops is worth a try.
Dora The Explorer

Postby WALDORF » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:05 pm

There are a number of Homoeopathic remedies which if correctly chosen may help mitigate cold symptoms.

Personally I have found taking 1 gram of vit C 3 times a day for the first 3 days of a cold quite helpful.

But best of all has to be the old cure of a bottle of scotch and a strangewoman :lol:

I have a friend who gets a container and puts one large spoonful of honey in with the juice of 2 lemons, and grates half an ounce of ginger into it and covers with boiling water, strains and drinks it while still hot, good at the start of a cold.

And here's one for those who proliferate the views of UKA + sport england etc, get a large bucket of hot cow SH*te and stick your head in it :D
WALDORF

Postby motherhen » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:17 am

If your not sure if the medicine you want to take is on the banned list try the drugs information database http://www.didglobal.com/page/choose%20country

Obviously if you can survive a cold without medicine thats better but i know i couldnt get through work without something to control the symptoms.

Hope it helps
motherhen

Postby james montgomery » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Quote Broadsword:

"And here's one for those who proliferate the views of UKA + sport england etc, get a large bucket of hot cow SH*T and stick your head in it " :D[/quote]

Broadsword, that's a beauty, coming as an add on for your cold remedy. I burst out laughing! Still chuckling! Keep 'em coming.
james montgomery

Cure a cold

Postby Max » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:44 pm

Take a very high dose of vitamin C (> 1000mg.) every few hours. Only side effect is the same as eating too much fruit. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Regards,

Max.
:wink:
Max

Postby roadrunner » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:05 pm

Sure I have just rad this somewhere else Max. :lol:
roadrunner

Return to Off track