Athletics Weekly

The madness which is Bucs

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: The madness which is Bucs

Postby SteveK26 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:48 am

paul wrote:Judd 2:02.5 (PB)

Ye gods. She's 17, right!!?? :shock:

I think that puts her top of the senior rankings.
(Oly B is 2:01.3.)

She ran a 2:02.7 last year, and backed that up with three or four 2:03's.
She could well threaten the 2 min barrier this year. Another one of a good few rising stars.
Where did Jack Green run a low 46 ? I know he ran 50-00 for the hurdles, but I can't see a flat 400 for him listed on the BUCS results.
If he did run it, it would be a massive PB.
SteveK26

Postby Ecosse » Mon May 07, 2012 4:21 am

SteveK26 wrote:
paul wrote:Judd 2:02.5 (PB)

Ye gods. She's 17, right!!?? :shock:

I think that puts her top of the senior rankings.
(Oly B is 2:01.3.)

She ran a 2:02.7 last year, and backed that up with three or four 2:03's.
She could well threaten the 2 min barrier this year. Another one of a good few rising stars.
Where did Jack Green run a low 46 ? I know he ran 50-00 for the hurdles, but I can't see a flat 400 for him listed on the BUCS results.
If he did run it, it would be a massive PB.

He ran it at the BUCS meeting but it was the invitational UKA 400m event. He said after the race he's in good condition and the only reason he didn't run 49. In the hurdles because the track is too fast! Couldn't get his stride pattern right.
Ecosse

Postby SteveK26 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 am

Ecosse
I have no doubt what you say is true; I also think Jack Green will this year run a 45 something 400.
But why don't POT list the result? It would seem to me to be one of the more significant results of the meeting, and I would kind of like to know who else was in the race and what times they ran! :?
SteveK26

Postby Geoff » Mon May 07, 2012 11:07 am

Some good throwing in the Olympic stadium. Zane Duquemin threw a PB 18.03 in the shot to complete a shot/discus double. In the javelin, Merv Luckwell threw 80.60 for an Olympic 'B' standard and Joe Dunderdale a PB of 74.39.
Geoff

Postby Ursus » Mon May 07, 2012 11:24 am

That's Merv's 2nd B. Not sure what kind of shape Campbell's in after his op, but I'm guessing Luckwell will be getting another trip to Stratford before the summer's out. That 's excellent from Dunderdale - doesn't turn 20 until September.
Ursus

Postby Geoff » Mon May 07, 2012 11:37 am

Ursus wrote:That's Merv's 2nd B. Not sure what kind of shape Campbell's in after his op, but I'm guessing Luckwell will be getting another trip to Stratford before the summer's out. That 's excellent from Dunderdale - doesn't turn 20 until September.

I'm sure he's going to throw a PB later this year and make the Olympic team. His throw was a second IAAF 'B' standard of the year but only his first UKA 'B' standard. He has an IAAF 'A' standard from last year which doesn't count as a UKA 'A' standard. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, he can meet the UKA criteria!
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon May 07, 2012 11:43 am

Pozzi 13.37! That sort of time was to be expected this summer after his indoor performances but to do it so early and in far from ideal conditions suggests there is more to come.

May be even quicker with 13.35!
Geoff

Postby Ursus » Mon May 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Geoff wrote:I'm sure he's going to throw a PB later this year and make the Olympic team. His throw was a second IAAF 'B' standard of the year but only his first UKA 'B' standard. He has an IAAF 'A' standard from last year which doesn't count as a UKA 'A' standard. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, he can meet the UKA criteria!

All this kind of stuff and was Rutherford / Smith in a proper competition, and was the hammer cage properly set up, and were they wearing numbers etc etc is doing my simple head in :? What I thought I liked about athletics was the absolute nature of the beast - he's thrown further, run faster, jumped higher etc......

Anyway, very well done to all the athletes setting good early season marks - Pozzi is v exciting.
Ursus

Postby sidelined » Mon May 07, 2012 2:12 pm

stevek26 wrote:Ecosse
I have no doubt what you say is true; I also think Jack Green will this year run a 45 something 400.
But why don't POT list the result? It would seem to me to be one of the more significant results of the meeting, and I would kind of like to know who else was in the race and what times they ran!

Steve, I don't know where the results are hiding, but Vincosport said on twitter yesterday that Conrad Williams was second in (this is from memory and may be slightly inaccurate) 46.78.

The Athleticos site has lots of video interviews with athletes and also videos of some of the races, including Any Pozzi's win.
Last edited by sidelined on Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sidelined

Postby Blindfaith » Mon May 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Aside from the BUCS website....results also available here....

http://www.londonpreparesseries.com/ath ... index.html

which includes most if not all UKA events...
Blindfaith

Postby SteveK26 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks
I've seen the full result now.
Very good from Green, he looks about to have a great season.
Pozzi was phenomenal, (and Clark pretty good too). To post a mark superior to Jackson, Ridgeon and co (at the same age) is just great. And we know he is in very capable hands....
Possible Olympic finalist?
SteveK26

Postby PJS » Mon May 07, 2012 9:28 pm

I reckon that Andrew Pozzi and Jack Green were the outstanding performers at this meet. What was almost as impressive were their interviews on athleticos - both are mature and very articulate with a good balance between determined ambition and realism about the work it will take to achieve this... excellent.

Jack Green has shown he can run multiple races within a short period - and may well prove to have a contribution to make in the 4x400 relay at London 2012.

who would win between them over a 200m hurdle course?
PJS

Postby SteveK26 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:28 pm

PJS
I have no doubts at all that Green will feature in the mens long relay; I also think the men will out-perform the women.
(in the 4x400).
SteveK26

Postby jjimbojames » Mon May 07, 2012 10:36 pm

SteveK26 wrote:PJS
I have no doubts at all that Green will feature in the mens long relay; I also think the men will out-perform the women.
(in the 4x400).

Agreed Steve - I imagine he was asked to run the flat UKA race for a reason - and he stepped right up to the plate in taking out Conrad Williams so convincingly
jjimbojames

Postby SteveK26 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:26 am

It has been a very encouraging week for our men's long relay prospects; first with a welcome early return to form from Rooney, and now Jack Green proving what he is capable of.
I'm assuming Dai will be up for a spot, and hoping that Bingham can once again get below 45. I know a lot of people also expect Chris Clarke to run very fast this year.
So things are looking good just now.
SteveK26

Postby trickstat » Tue May 08, 2012 10:51 am

furlong wrote:Did LO throw discus and if so what result...

He threw on Saturday and did 63m something which I thought was pretty good in fairly still conditions in a big stadium. I am struggling to find the actual result anywhere though.
trickstat

Postby oldboy » Tue May 08, 2012 10:54 am

Jessica Judd

Did you notice the split for Jessica? It was -.2
The third and fourth 200m splits were 29.86 and 31.29
This fade is probably due to covering the first 200m too quickly.
Is there a link anywhere to a video of the race?
Does anybody know the time for the first 200m?
Passing the above information through my model of the 800m event suggests that if she covered the first 200m in less than 29.87, then she is capable now of dipping under 2 mins for the race with just a little fine tuning of the pace.
Anybody any info with respect to the first 200?
oldboy

Postby trickstat » Tue May 08, 2012 12:48 pm

furlong wrote:
trickstat wrote:

He threw on Saturday and did 63m something which I thought was pretty good in fairly still conditions in a big stadium. I am struggling to find the actual result anywhere though.

Saw a comment to this effect but only seen Morse with sub 60 as the only thrower in the UKA event.

That's odd as both LO and Abdul Buhari were there.
trickstat

Postby BernardII » Tue May 08, 2012 1:18 pm

trickstat wrote:
furlong wrote:
trickstat wrote:

Saw a comment to this effect but only seen Morse with sub 60 as the only thrower in the UKA event.

That's odd as both LO and Abdul Buhari were there.

Lawrence and Abdul threw alongside the qualifying for the discus. They were allowed 3 throws in the final but didn't start.
BernardII

Postby Geoff » Tue May 08, 2012 1:56 pm

furlong wrote:And what did the 3 of them throw in the quals ?

Not sure but I think Okoye threw 63.47. Buhari threw 58ish. They didn't throw in the final but Morse did 57 and bits. Morse didn't throw in the qualifying having just flown in from California where he stayed on to do an extra comp. Hope that makes sense.
Geoff

Postby bevone » Tue May 08, 2012 4:10 pm

i looked at the results sheets including the UKA events and saw nothing of Okoye or abdul's throws. Many of the uKA events had lots of no shows and DNS. 63.47 by okoye is a final and top 8 place if he can do that in August. He is continuing to look impressive as is Zane but i think his target is probably 4years time. Abdul seems to have started well - and consistent if not throwing sparingly. As for the other male discus throwers two of them have been well below par which they cannot be happy with. Throwers like to start well as they are usually in shape from the winter and it sets a good platform for the rest of the season, and going to the US for early season comps in good conditions is always good for the confidence.

merv looks OK as does Goldie for the OG but both will need more for medals Sophie also is making great progress but her time is probably the next OGs although a final position is on the cards. Myerscough shot/

discus should go and maybe a male hammer thrower or two and one or two female discus throwers otherwise cannot see too many other challenging for positions on the throws team yet. Bu that would represent out biggest throws team for a while. Im wondering whether they just send one pe event for the heckof it. LEt the fans cheer on home grown talent - I would be tempted to fill the team Mens jumps, 2 tj, 3lj, 3hj, 2pv, women= 1 lj, 1. hj, 1tj, 2 pv so not a bad field team on form so far.
bevone

Postby bevone » Tue May 08, 2012 9:40 pm

bevone wrote:i looked at the results sheets including the UKA events and saw nothing of Okoye or abdul's throws. Many of the uKA events had lots of no shows and DNS. 63.47 by okoye is a final and top 8 place if he can do that in August. He is continuing to look impressive as is Zane but i think his target is probably 4years time. Abdul seems to have started well - and consistent if not throwing sparingly. As for the other male discus throwers two of them have been well below par which they cannot be happy with. Throwers like to start well as they are usually in shape from the winter and it sets a good platform for the rest of the season, and going to the US for early season comps in good conditions is always good for the confidence.

merv looks OK as does Goldie for the OG but both will need more for medals and in Megvs case, he has to show to himself more than anyone else that he can cope with big occasions as he seems to throw well in smaller matches looking at his past few years. Sophie also is making great progress but her time is probably the next OGs although a final position is on the cards. Myerscough shot/

discus should go and maybe a male hammer thrower or two and one or two female discus throwers otherwise cannot see too many other challenging. I think 1 a maybe 2 javelin women finalists, 1 maybe 2 mens discus finalsit and a a femlae women discus finalist and 1 female hammer finalist is what we can hope for. for positions on the throws team yet. Bu that would represent out biggest throws team for a while. Im wondering whether they just send one pe event for the heckof it. LEt the fans cheer on home grown talent - I would be tempted to fill the team Mens jumps, 2 tj, 3lj, 3hj, 2pv, women= 1 lj, 1. hj, 1tj, 2 pv so not a bad field team on form so far.
bevone

Postby BernardII » Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 pm

oldboy wrote:Jessica Judd

Passing the above information through my model of the 800m event suggests that if she covered the first 200m in less than 29.87, then she is capable now of dipping under 2 mins for the race with just a little fine tuning of the pace.

Athleticos have said that they weren't allowed to film on Friday, Saturday or Sunday so I don't think there will be a video of the race. I watched the race and from my point of view, the main reason she faded was because she pushed the 3rd 200m quite hard. The other girls closed a bit in the final 100m, but the damage had already been done between 400m and 600m.
BernardII

Postby Notabot » Tue May 08, 2012 10:25 pm

oldboy wrote:Jessica Judd

No idea about the first 200, but this article has some of Judd's own thoughts on the race.
Notabot

Postby Geoff » Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 am

Lawrence Okoye threw 63.57 and Abdul Buhari 58.51 as guests. Results are now on PoT.
Geoff

Previous

Return to Current events