Athletics Weekly

Penn Relays 2012

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: Penn Relays 2012

Postby 3a » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 am

Whilst Nicola was clearly disappointing (Lee looks a better option at this point) TBO proves yet again that she is a relay dimwit. Honestly, how hard is it to take a baton in a 4x4...the pitter patter caution of it all and did NOONE tell her on a second leg you HAVE to go out hard? I've seen 1500m gals go out harder. The only leg she can go one is the 3rd, and even with that I wouldn;t be surprised if she stopped to sign an autograph or two en route.

Indoors was trully a fluke.
3a

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:03 pm

On reflection, I'm quite happy we didn't see fireworks - Indoors partly worked because of the element of surprise and people not really knowing what was going to happen

Agree re TBO going back to 3rd. I must be the only one that thought Nicola did OK - without wanting to sound like a 'flag waver' I do think she can drop a couple of seconds over the next few months and be a lot more competitive than she was today - it was really only the last straight where she lost ground by the looks of things
jjimbojames

Postby iain » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Lets not be too harsh on TBO. She had no-one to run off, and was up against Felix and Williams-Mills rather than Hayes and Karnaushchenko. To me at least it is clear she should be on leg 3 or 4. Yesterday I would much rather have seen a team of Perri-Shana-Nicola-TBO. Let us also remember that GB are currently experimenting with order, rather than going all out for victory.
iain

Postby paul » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:43 pm

As for Lee, whatever happens I think that GB will need 5, probably six, to be involved in the 4x4 at the OGs. Heat qualification will be non-trivial, and anyone involved at any stage will have done their duty.
Thus, if they are fit, I would be amazed if the OG event didn't see vital involvement of Lee, Perri, Nicola, Shana and Christine.

The bigger issue is, who is the 6th?
paul

Postby iain » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:51 pm

I also agree that we will need 6, and that Nicola can drop around 2 seconds. At the moment my pick for the 6th would be Marilyn, as I believe she deserves it, but I think Eilidh and Nadine also have a chance. Maybe Sotherton??
iain

Postby damienc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Margaret Adeoye!!
damienc

Postby damienc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Just hope Nicola is lacking race fitness. Such a shame to see an athlete of her calibre running mid 52's but that last 100m looks a struggle. At this moment in time I would have Nicola in the heats and Lee in the final.
damienc

Postby PJS » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:39 pm

I was very much looking forward to this race but was left very underwhelmed.

It was clear that by time the baton had got to the 3rd leg the race was over for Team GB and so Shana and PSD really had no opportunity to show their race face. And having already run that day - it seems to me we couldn't expect anything like a peak performance anyway. (or even the best for this stage of the season.)

I agree with some views that the order. all-be-it a possible experiment only, is not going to bring out the best in the 4 runners. I always view the first leg as the best place for the runner with the greater endurance (a 500 metre runner if you like) ... and the leg's aim is to maintain contact with the leading runners (the race can not be won on this leg- but clearly can be lost.)

Other observations...

Discussions about athletes not peaking too early is slightly spurious; if Alison Felix can run a leg of 50 and bits - what can she do when at the business end of the season.

Ms. Saunders is a quandry- at her peak she was marvellous to watch - but can she reach this again - I do hope so, but I suspect it will not be in the individual 400m - and it will not be in the first leg of the relay- but she will deliver a steady performance in the qualifying leg of the 4x400 and help get Team GB to the final and so is certainly in my squad of 6.

I still see Ms. McConnell on the first leg in the final. Again I refer to my earlier view that the race is not won on the leg but can easily be lost. Ms. McConnell has the experience to ensure the baton is handed over with Team GB very much in contention - and this, in my view, is the objective of the first leg.

Then I want a chaser - Ms. Saunders is that personified, and as long as she is in contention, can sit inside the leading two and benefit from not having to go all out ...not having to "win" the race just stay in touch.

My fourth leg is PSD - she has that grit about her - demonstrated in abundance at the World Indoors - that says no woman shall pass or, if that race dictates, is a chaser with stamina.

My problem leg is 3... hmm....
Last edited by PJS on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJS

Postby taffy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:49 pm

re the squad of 6, any news on Emily Freeman?

i wish Jess E had had a few outing over the 400 relay in 2010 and 2011 and then she would have been ideal on leg 2 or 3.

I am also interested to see what Jodie W can do over 400. In Istanbul she said she had one or two lined up as part of her early season stamina training. But if she drops a low 52 then id be tempted to try her in a relay.

There are very few opportunities for 400 relays this season why dont uka organise one or two so that the girls can try different legs. i had hoped Hayley Jones would have been a 51..... by now as well.
taffy

Postby richard1980 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:26 am

Just watched the 4x400 - they all looked a little sluggish to be honest. All this talk about Christine being back after the world indoors - she was up against pretty weak oposition on that 3rd leg (compared to the others) and ran 52 seconds. I think it looked more impressive than it was. At penn the change over between Sanders and TBO was verging on funny. I would have expected Nicola to be running a second quicker than she is after another injury free winter. Does She need a new coach or something?

As an aside check out the 4x100 womens with Allyson Felix`s leg - running super quick.
richard1980

Postby Charlie Boy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:15 pm

I for one felt Christine run was in Istanbul was overrated and made to look better with mediocre runs on the leg from the opposition. The Americans for the last 5 years have run low 3.20s and gone to win the global title in sub 3.19. I expected a time of 3.24-3.25 from the GB quartet, Nicola at her best is our best relay runner, but has she passed her best and maybe replaceable. TBO needs to attack more, if not I would replace her with Lee or Maz (Williams does sound appealing but proberly too early). Shana did well and Perri had nothing to run for.

So In reflection Shana and Perri safe, Nicola and TBO questionable.

I feel it would take a NR for them to medal, as the USA, JAM and RUS are going to be very strong.
Charlie Boy

Postby richard1980 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

Perhaps we are expecting too much - i mean they will end up coming 4th in London! They will individually get quicker though (well you would think so..). 4th in the olympics is still an achievement!

in terms of dumping TBO and Nic - they have got 2 months to krank it up so here`s hoping! they both looked so slow though...(ok Nicola isnt slow for 300m - then she gets slow) although they are still quicker than Vicky Barr and the 53+ second brigade!
richard1980

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Tue May 08, 2012 5:43 pm

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/248558 ... of-America
Bit late to revive this thread but this is worth watching. Delano Williams' anchor leg literally drawing gasps from the crowd.
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby SteveK26 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:04 am

Sounded like the commentator called a 45.4 as the split time. Pretty impressive.
SteveK26

Previous

Return to Current events