Athletics Weekly

Delano Williams

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... nt-events/

Re: Delano Williams

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:56 pm

jjimbojames wrote:Bev- of course these 'new' Brits are not a product of the UKA system but is that the way to be defining things. You say they will be taking the place of GB based athletes, but so too will Mo, Paula and many others who train abroad e.g. Kenya for distance guys. What happens to those that go to a US university / train elsewhere? Did you disregard Tasha Danvers' medal in Beijing, as she was based in the US from her uni days?

Which is precisely why the cycling model doesn't work although UK Sport tried to force it on all governing bodies. It is clear in our sport that athletes will train all over the world so UKA should focus on support, coordination and education. The overseas athletes highlight this wider structure/system and could potentially lead to changes in how funding is best used.

A potential breakdown of medallists in London could see some based mainly overseas, some not based at all at UKA centres, some not having a UKA employed coach, some having a volunteer coach, some not on funding as well as a few UKA coached athletes. It's a mish-mash that requires reviewing and a fairer, more harmonised structure/system established.

We have a good crop of athletes and many will be training harder than ever to make the Olympic team regardless of where they are from or where they are based. Hopefully, there will be a good medal haul but athletics needs to operate a system that is best for our sport and reflects this diversity which has always been there.
Geoff

Postby Run » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

This is a devisive argument and is pointless. You don't own the sport. You don't decide on nationalities. You don't make f mays medals British or plastic Italian. You dont make african French plastic. Nationality is about where u live, where u were born, where u want to live, where your parent or grandparents are from. We are multi cultural - you can have more than one nationality, Thank goodness none of you are involved in immigration. Going through a system doesnt make you lose or gain a nationality, it is all about whats right for you - lets welcome people to make their own choices, Lets celebrate success - is Laura Robson not British because she was born is australia. Is andy Murray not Scottish because he went through a Spanish system. Is amir khan not British or is his brother not Pakistani. Success will breed success. passion to complete for a country and inspire a nation is what the Olympics are about. People will compete with pride for Britain and inspire a generation - that for me is inspirational.Please let's talk about the positives, 2 gold medals for gb in cycling today - how great are the Olympics going to be? Golden!
Run

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Run wrote:This is a devisive argument and is pointless. You don't own the sport. You don't decide on nationalities. You don't make f mays medals British or plastic Italian. You dont make african French plastic. Nationality is about where u live, where u were born, where u want to live, where your parent or grandparents are from. We are multi cultural - you can have more than one nationality, Thank goodness none of you are involved in immigration. Going through a system doesnt make you lose or gain a nationality, it is all about whats right for you - lets welcome people to make their own choices, Lets celebrate success - is Laura Robson not British because she was born is australia. Is andy Murray not Scottish because he went through a Spanish system. Is amir khan not British or is his brother not Pakistani. Success will breed success. passion to complete for a country and inspire a nation is what the Olympics are about. People will compete with pride for Britain and inspire a generation - that for me is inspirational.Please let's talk about the positives, 2 gold medals for gb in cycling today - how great are the Olympics going to be? Golden!

Run,
It has absolutely nothing to do with nationality. It is about governing body structure and funding.
Geoff

Postby Run » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 pm

We gave great athletes and the thread is headed up delano Williams.he wants to be a part of our British team and may go on to inspire a generation - how great would that be. this is what we need more young role models. Everyone will benefit from different systems. A great Olympic games will create a legacy. We will perform well as a team and athletes from all sports will be inspired. Enjoy and spread the word - it feels good!
Run

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Out of interest - what's the situation with Delano and British records?
Could he break a British record while running for Turks and Caicos?
Or could he represent GB whilst not being eligible to set any sort of junior or senior British record?
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby Run » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:58 pm

No difference - Sonia o'sullivan runs Aussie record when representing them. Runs Irish when representing them. No difference no problem and makes sense.
Run

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Run wrote:No difference - Sonia o'sullivan runs Aussie record when representing them. Runs Irish when representing them. No difference no problem and makes sense.

Not sure if that's a good example. IAAF never recognised Sonia as Australian. I think there's a loophole in the Commonwealth Games rules that allowed her to run for Australia in that event only. I don't think she'd have been eligible to set any sort of Aussie record without officially transferring to Australia full-time. Turks/Caicos vs GB is potentially more complicated still.
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby Geoff » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:09 pm

Guto Nyth Bran wrote:Out of interest - what's the situation with Delano and British records?
Could he break a British record while running for Turks and Caicos?
Or could he represent GB whilst not being eligible to set any sort of junior or senior British record?

I was wondering the same. Potentially, he could run faster than Christian Malcolm's British junior record (20.29) this year and if he did it at the World Juniors then it would be a T&C record even though he may have run the GB trials earlier. Break it during the Olympics then it would be a British record. Break it in a grand prix meet and......? If he was from the Isle of Man, which is slightly different to T&C, his record would count in both.

What will he do post Olympics? Can he be funded if he doesn't switch full time to GB? Possibly???
Geoff

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:14 am

http://blip.tv/wiv-news/sports-delano-football-6068544
This is interesting. The governor of the Turks and Caicos islands says (slight paraphrasing)"on behalf of myself, the people of TCI and the British government , I would like to say that any suggestion he is "a plastic Brit" is non-sensical, wrong and almost shameful.
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby Maza1987 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Sign him up.
The more the merrier!
Maza1987

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 pm

I'm not certain after his exertions last week but he may be competing in the CARIFTA junior champs this weekend in Bermuda.
Geoff

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Geoff wrote:I'm not certain after his exertions last week but he may be competing in the CARIFTA junior champs this weekend in Bermuda.

I checked this and he is scheduled to compete in the 200 and 4x1.
Damn, I'm turning into an anorak this year.
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby Geoff » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 am

Jermaine Gonzales: Pressure produces stars such as Delano WilliamsCompetition at school level is one of the reasons the Caribbean produces so many track and field stars

We just had Prince Harry swing by the Racers Track Club in Kingston. You probably saw those pictures posing with Usain Bolt, surrounded by journalists. To be honest, though, the most interesting thing that's been going on since I last wrote is the Boys and Girls Champs, which were happening last weekend. People always ask me why Jamaica produces all these great runners. I tell them that if they want to find out the answer, they have to get down to the Boys and Girls, which are the national schools finals.

Track and field is just so big in Jamaica. You can't really appreciate it until you come and see it. Everybody is involved in it. If you have a look at one of the big high schools at the start of the season you'll see they have over 100 athletes trying out for the team. The coaches have to cut the squad down just to focus on a small number of people, so right from the start our runners are always competing against the guys and girls next to them. You're always being pushed, you know?

The best make it to the Boys and Girls, and the atmosphere there is just crazy. It is a real big thing, everybody is into it and everybody is looking forward to it, so there is lots of pressure and expectation. That means when we get to the Olympics, we're ready for it, because we grew up under pressure: pressure from the press, pressure from your school, pressure from the people in the street, pressure from the guy you're trying to beat.

......The other runner you guys should look out for is Delano Williams. He won the sprint double in the under-19 group, with a 100m time of 10.37sec and a 200m time of 21.18sec. Now, the reason I tell you about him is that Delano could be running for Great Britain at the Olympics this summer. He's studying at Munro College over in St Elizabeth, but he's not Jamaican, he's from the Turks and Caicos Islands. He can't represent them in the Olympics, because they're not recognised by the International Olympic Committee. But Turks and Caicos are a British Overseas Territory and he's got a British passport. So he says he is going to go compete at the British trials in June. He's a good young sprinter, and he's already got the Olympic A qualifying standard in the 200m. Maybe GB is going to benefit from a little of that Boys and Girls magic too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/london- ... o-williams

None of our non-competitive sport policy then!
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:59 am

Williams: I slept through Hurricane Ike so I won't be troubled by a storm over my passport

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympi ... z1rRBcHjOO

You know we could have most of the finalists at the 200m trials with the London 'A' standard so should be quite a race if all are fit and healthy.
Geoff

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:04 pm

Geoff wrote:Williams: I slept through Hurricane Ike so I won't be troubled by a storm over my passport

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympi ... z1rRBcHjOO

You know we could have most of the finalists at the 200m trials with the London 'A' standard so should be quite a race if all are fit and healthy.

Goes against the grain to say this but that's a good article by the Mail.
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby trevorp » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Race and post-race interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiNBJn-6 ... ure=relmfu

He's a very impressive young man and I wish him well. He reminds me a little of Kirani James in that he's a teenager whose poise and articulacy put to shame the overwhelming majority of most of our athletes, including those who have emerged from what passes for university these days.
trevorp

Postby Geoff » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:46 am

London 2012 Olympics: latest Team GB recruit Delano Williams wins 200m gold at Carifta Games
Delano Williams, the teenage sprint prodigy from the Turks and Caicos islands who is qualified to run for Britain at this summer’s Olympics, extended his rich vein of form with a decisive 200 metres victory at the Carifta Games in Hamilton, Bermuda.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... Games.html
Geoff

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 pm

He was clocked at 45.7 running the winning anchor leg for his school at 4x4 at the UTECH meeting in Jamaica on Saturday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G3vgWLD0Y4
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby Geoff » Thu May 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Just broused the William Hill Olympic betting site where you can get individual odds plus specials for athletes such as Jessica Ennis, Phillips Idowu, Oscar Pistorius and ................. Delano Williams!

30 May 22:00 UK 8/11 To Qualify for the 2012 Olympics 7/2 To Reach Olympic Final
33/1 To Win Olympic Medal 200/1 To Win Olympic Gold

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb ... cials.html

Somewhat strange to see this. Perhaps they have received quite a few bets from people who know more than we do?
Geoff

Postby SteveK26 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Odds for Delano Williams:
8/11 to qualify for GB and get to Olympics may be about right.
The other odds look much too short. I'd be looking for at least 10/1 to make the 200 final, and 100/1 to medal.
Gold?..... not this time around!
SteveK26

Postby eastv » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Wow 20.4 if only he had a goo start at the trails.
eastv

Previous

Return to Current events (Legacy Only)