Athletics Weekly

British Team for Istanbul

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... nt-events/

British Team for Istanbul

Postby iain » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:00 am

Any ideas what this might look like?

Men
60m
Chambers

400m
Buck, Levine

800m
Osagie, Thomas

1500m
Brewer, Moses

3000m
Farah

60m Hurdles
Pozzi

High Jump
Grabarz, Oni

Long Jump
Jegede (Is he actually qualified?)

4x400m
Bingham, Buck, Lennon-Ford, Levine, Tobin, Williams

Women
60m
Kwakye, Philip

400m
Cox, Okyere

800m
Okoro

3000m
Clitheroe

60m Hurdles
Ofili-Porter (If she is planning to do it)

Pole Vault
Bleasedale

Long Jump
Proctor

Triple Jump
Aldama

Pentathlon
Ennis

4x400m
Cox
Langowski
Okoro
Okyere
Sanders
??? - Maybe McConnell might run the relay as she has in the past?
iain

Re: British Team for Istanbul

Postby boysen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:25 am

A team perhaps more notable for those "missing" than those selected.
boysen

Postby MikeF » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 am

Sounds spot on to me, although Jegede isn't qualified as far as I'm aware (which seems crazy given he's world number 5 now). And we can add in Lewis to mPV and either Byers or Dennison to wPV after their excellent results in France yesterday.
MikeF

Postby trickstat » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Unfortunately, Jegede isn't qualified as he hasn't jumped 8.15. The IAAF obviously think that an athlete who jumped 8.15 early last summer is more worthy of a place than one who's jumped 8.14 this indoor season (that's a hypothetical example not JJJ).

Is Mo Farah looking to do Istanbul? I'm not sure that he is.
trickstat

Postby PJS » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:21 pm

boysen wrote:A team perhaps more notable for those "missing" than those selected.

I agree with Boysen - but maybe for different reason and to provoke discussion...

I would have thought that for young athletes, who may well be squeezed out of Olympic selection, might have taken a longer view and seen the Indoor worlds as a great opportunity...

I am thinking here the likes of Katarina Johnson-Thompson (an immense talent) who I thought might view the World indoor pentathlon is highly achievable and hugely important in her development...

Meghan Beesley was doing some good 400m times and maybe would have benefited from being involved in the 400m relay squad.

Also very notable by her absence was the wonderful PSD - I posted the article clearly quoting that she was going to run an indoor (I forget which) but didnt .... I hope its not injury.
PJS

Postby clutch30green » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:37 pm

If it was me, I would look at selecting the following - some on the Head Coach discretion (if that can be used) for the benefit of experience:

Men - 60m - Chambers, Robertson
400m - Buck, Levine
800m - Osagie, Thomas
1500m - Brewer, Moses
3000m - Farah (if he is planning it), Hay
60mH - Pozzi, Clarke
long Jump - Jegede
High Jump - Oni, Grabarz
Relay - Buck, Levine, Williams, Lennon-Ford, Bingley, Tobin

Women - 60m - Kwayke, Philip
400m - Cox, Okyere
800m - Okoro
1500m - Twell (If she chooses it)
3000m - Clithero
60mH - Porter (If she chooses it)
Long Jump - Proctor
Triple Jump - Aldama
Pole Vault - Bleasdale
Pentathlon - Ennis
Relay - Cox, Sanders, Okyere, Adeoye, Langowski, Okoro or Beesley
clutch30green

Postby trickstat » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Re the above 2 posts:

There are only 8 places in the Pentathlon in Istanbul. KJ-T is still quite a way from getting an invite as yet. Would have taken a massive PB to even be considered.

Johnny Hay would need to get the IAAF standard of 7:54.00, regardless of UKA policy.

I think there's a reasonable chance Meghan Beesley will be selected for the 4x400 squad.
trickstat

Postby samdurham » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Really disappointed that Jegede isn't qualified. He recorded the only 8m jump in Birmingham with 8.04m - winning the competition. He really deserves to have a chance to compete on the world stage.

Agree with the other picks and definitely looking forward to seeing Grabarz in the high jump - he did very well in Birmingham Aviva Grand Prix and really got the crowd going, a favourite of mine.
samdurham

Postby Geoff » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Carl Myerscough?
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Dennison beat Byers on countback yesterday at 4.52 but a tough one for the selectors if both want to go to Istanbul. Sally Peake cleared a Welsh record of 4.42 in the same competition.

Aldama doesn't actually have the UKA standard which is 14.10 this year.
Geoff

Postby jambob » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:42 pm

Just picked up off twitter that Nicola Sanders has run 52.48!
jambob

Postby iain » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:56 pm

That certainly throws the cat amongst the pigeons
iain

Postby BernardII » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:19 pm

And Emily Diamond has ran 53.67 to put herself in with a shout for the relay.

46.74 and 46.78 for James Forman and Luke Smallwood too.
BernardII

Postby clutch30green » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:47 pm

And Marilyn Okoro has ran 53.3 for 400m - that must put her in with a shout for the relay. Also Brilliant to be in a position with 3 girls having the Olympic A- standard now in the Pole Vault, and good to see Steven Lewis back in form - 5.72m. He must now be included in the team.

All getting better and better in Olympic Year - it's going to be really interesting as to who will make the Olympic team, competition is hotting up every week. :D
clutch30green

Postby Geoff » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Quite a few Brits are competing in Stockholm on Thursday including Osagie, Jegede, Aldama, Bleasdale, Clithero (1500) and Cox. There is discretion to select athletes subject to achieving the standard by Feb 27th so possibly a last chance for some?

http://88.131.109.176/folksam/xlgalan12/Start.php
Geoff

Postby usedtoit33 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 pm

I'd just like to point out that Ross Millington has the UKA standard in the 3000m. He ran 7:49 in the States. So he might be included in the team if he wants to go.

My team:

MEN
60m: Chambers
400m: Levine, Buck
800m: Thomas, Osagie
1500m: Brewer, Moses
3000m: Millington
60mH: Pozzi
PV: Lewis
HJ: Grabarz, Oni

WOMEN
60m: Philip, Kwakye
400m: Cox, Sanders/Okyere (depending on Sanders competing)
800m: Okoro
1500m: Twell (if Istanbul is in her plans)
3000m: Clitheroe
60mH: Porter (if she wants to go)
PV: Bleasdale, Dennison/Byres (can't make up my mind between the two)
LJ: Proctor
TJ: Aldama
Pentathlon: Ennis
usedtoit33

Postby iain » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Aviva GB & NI Team:

MEN

60m:

Dwain Chambers (self-coached) – Belgrave (PB: 6.42 SB: 6.58)
*Andy Robertson (Sam Robertson) – Sale Harriers (PB: 6.61 SB: 6.61)

400m:

Nigel Levine (Linford Christie) - Windsor Slough Eton & Hounslow (PB: 45.71 SB: 45.71)
Richard Buck (Steve Fudge) – City of York (PB: 45.88 SB: 45.88)

800m:

Joe Thomas (Arwyn Davies) - Cardiff (PB: 1:46.35 SB: 1:46.35)
Andrew Osagie (Craig Winrow) – Harlow (PB: 1:46.53 SB: 1:46.53)

1500m:

Lewis Moses (John Nuttall) – New Marske (PB: 3:41.33 SB: 3:41.33)
James Brewer (Craig Winrow) – Cheltenham (PB: 3:38.03 SB: 3:38.03)

3000m:

Mo Farah (Alberto Salazar) – Newham & Essex (PB: 7:34.47 SB: 7:37.4)

60mH:

Andy Pozzi (Malcolm Arnold) – Stratford-Upon-Avon (PB: 7.62 SB: 7.62)

High Jump:

Samson Oni (Trevor Llewelyn) – Belgrave (PB: 2.31 SB: 2.31)
Robbie Grabarz (Fuzz Ahmed) – Newham & Essex (PB: 2.34 SB: 2.34)

Pole Vault:

Steve Lewis (Dan Pfaff) – Newham & Essex (PB: 5.72 SB: 5.72)
*Andrew Sutcliffe (Julien Raffalli-Ebezant) – Sale Harriers (PB: 5.55 SB: 5.55)

Long Jump

*JJ Jegede (Peter Stanley) - Newham & Essex (PB: 8.04 SB: 8.04)

4x400m:

Nigel Levine (Linford Christie) - Windsor Slough Eton & Hounslow
Richard Buck (Steve Fudge) – City of York
Conrad Williams (Linford Christie) - Kent
Michael Bingham (Kevin Tyler) - Birchfield
James Forman (Andy Forman) – Isle of Wight
Luke Lennon Ford (Linford Christie) – Birchfield

WOMEN

60m:

Asha Philip (Christine Bowmaker) – Newham & Essex (PB: 7.19 SB: 7.19)
Jodie Williams (Mike McFarlane) – Herts Phoenix (PB: 7.21 SB: 7.29)

400m:

Shana Cox (Lloyd Cowan) – Woodford Green Essex Ladies (PB: 52.16 SB: 52.18)
Nadine Okyere (Joe Caines) - Birchfield (PB:53.01 SB:53.01)

800m:

Marilyn Okoro (Ayo Falola) – Shaftesbury Barnet (PB: 1:59.27 SB: 2:02.62)

3000m:

Helen Clitheroe (John Nuttall) – Preston (PB: 8:39.81 SB: 8:45.59)

60mH:

Tiffany Porter (James Henry) – Woodford Green Essex Ladies (PB: 7.80 SB: 7.93)

Pole Vault:

Holly Bleasdale (Julien Raffalli- Ebezant) – Blackburn (PB: 4.87 SB: 4.87)
Katie Byres (Julien Raffalli- Ebezant) – Sale Harriers (PB: 4.52 SB: 4.52)

Long Jump:

Shara Proctor (Rana Reider) – Birchfield (PB: 6.80 SB: 6.80)

Triple Jump:

Yamile Aldama (Frank Attoh) – Shaftesbury Barnet (PB: 14.90 SB: 14.09)

Pentathlon:

Jessica Ennis (Toni Minichiello) – Sheffield (PB: 4937)

4x400m:

Shana Cox (Lloyd Cowan) – Woodford Green Essex Ladies
Nadine Okyere (Joe Caines) -  Birchfield
Nicola Sanders (Tony Lester) Windsor Slough Eton & Hounslow
Christine Ohuruogu (Lloyd Cowan) – Newham & Essex
Perri Shakes-Drayton (Chris Zah) - Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets
Laura Langowski (Nick Dakin) - Coventry

*Subject to qualification standard reached by 27 February

Andy Robertson will compete in Newham on Wednesday, JJ Jegede in Stockholm on Thursday and Andrew Sutcliffe in the French Championships on Sunday.

No Jeanette Kwakye?
And who from the women's 4x400m won't run?
iain

Postby Geoff » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm

An interesting mix of experience and newcomers and good a few are given extra time to reach the qualifying standard. What are the chances of any of them doing a late qualifier?

Mo is running the 3000. I read an article somewhere about him notching up a lot of miles. Air miles! Does he need to watch his trans Atlantic crossings?

The relays should be exciting and we look to have two squads who can qualify for the final without over-using the individual 400m runners.

Potentially 4 to 6 medals?
Geoff

Postby jjimbojames » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Realistic medal chances for me: Men - Farah, Grabarz, m4x400m, with Levine an outside shot, Women - Porter, Bleasdale, Proctor, Ennis, w4x400m, with Cox an outside shot

Really interesting to see PSD and TBO in the list for the w4x400m. If neither races before the champs, I'd expect Cox-Okyere-Sanders-Okoro is the obvious quartet, but PSD might 'do a McConnell' and just turn up and run, assuming she's fit
jjimbojames

Postby SteveK26 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:47 pm

I agree there are some surprises in the womens long relay squad. Especially CO and P S-D. Have they even run indoors this season? Would anyone take a chance on their fitness when we have 4 or 5 girls with reasonably good times under their belts already? I'd go with the current top 4, ie Cox, Sanders, Okyere and Maz. And I probably would suggest that Maz just runs the relay.
The squad looks a good one overall, and what I'd most like to see is a victory for Holly and Pozzi in the 7-5's. A good decision to take the two less-experienced female sprinters, although I suspect Miss Kwakye probably told the selectors she wouldn't be going.
Jess will be spectacular, judging by the form she appears to be in.
SteveK26

Postby Kermit » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm

From what I have read this is no surprise. It's the Olympic 4x400m squad.

And there is some interesting news relating to the European Championships and CAS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... kills.html
Kermit

Postby jjimbojames » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Kermit wrote:From what I have read this is no surprise. It's the Olympic 4x400m squad.

And there is some interesting news relating to the European Championships and CAS

If that's true, I guess we should expect to see both girls running, alongside Nicola and Shana - I can see Okyere-Sanders-TBO-PSD for the heat, and Shana replacing Okyere in the final. Leaving out Shana and one of Nicola or Nadine for the heats would be a tad risky
jjimbojames

Postby iain » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Ohuruogu has run 7.74 and 7.80 (heat and final) in the 60. Shakes-Drayton hasn't run due to a hamstring injury. In 2006 Ohuruogu ran a 53.58 fourth leg indoors, completely unnoposed. Shakes-Drayton ran 51.97 third leg in Doha 2010.
I would go for Sanders - Ohuruogu - Shakes-Drayton - Okyere in the heat with the slowest swopping out for Cox in the final.
iain

Postby sidelined » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Kermit wrote:From what I have read this is no surprise. It's the Olympic 4x400m squad.

If this is supposedly the Olympic relay squad, then where is Lee McConnell? She usually comes out to run an indoor relay leg.

Also, if CVC intends to run 4 x 100 squads at the Europeans, but doesn't want Olympic-bound athletes to run rounds in the individual event, then does that mean no one will get to run the 100m?
sidelined

Postby Kermit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:35 am

Sidelined there are a number of permutations to consider so here is my 1+1=5 version.

The national championships will be the Olympic & European trials, only the first 2 in each event (excluding long distance) will be selected for the OG with third going to the highest place in the Euros getting the final spot at the OG. Those athletes who are not fit enough for the trials who are thought to have potential of making the finals in London may get selected for the Euros to prove their fitness. Whilst I have not seen the Euro timetable I would presume that most events will have no more than 3 rounds so athletes could use it to improve their race fitness. The remainder of the Euro squad will consist of U23s and those being prepared for the next Olympic cycle.

If the CAS rules against the BOA by-law then I would expect that Dwain Chambers will be selected for both squads. However I see no logical reason why the OG selected sprinters be excluded from the Euros. In my opinion I feel that there are more positives than negatives and could be another topic of discussion.

McConnell's exclusion from THIS squad doesn't really suprise me. The age factor springs to mind and I don't mean that to be derogatory.
Kermit

Postby sidelined » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:02 am

The last possible date for selecting the European team is a few days before the trials, on 17 June. The selection policy states:

UKA do not consider that running rounds at the European Championships immediately after running rounds at the Trials is ideal preparation for Olympic success and so individual track athletes in events with rounds at the European Championships* who gain the criteria for automatic nomination for the 2012 Olympics at the Olympic Trials will be automatically deselected from the European Championships team. Relay squad members will however be expected to be available to compete in the relays at the European Championships as part of their final preparations for the 2012 Olympics if selected.

Some of the track events at the Euros could be really weak. Sorry, this is a bit off topic.

Lee McConnell has been a stalwart of the relay for so long, I'd hate to see her miss out. I hope she'll have a strong season - she did have a faster time than Shana Cox last year.
sidelined

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:00 pm

World Indoor medal count will not affect London 2012, says Van Commenee

February 23 - Charles van Commenee (pictured), head coach at UK Athletics, has not set any medal targets for the British team at next month's IAAF World Indoor Championships in Istanbul as he does not feel they will have any bearing on the team's preparations for London 2012.

And he added that the European Championships – which start in Helsinki on June 27, three days after the Aviva UK Trials – would not involve any track athletes who had already qualified for the Olympics.

....Commenting on what will be a rare indoor appearance for Ohuruogu, Van Commenee said: "We obviously want to do very well in the 4x400m and it's a really good opportunity to get the girls together and to see how far off they are from the three nations who dominate the event – the United States, Russia and Jamaica. We want to be closer to them."

Asked if Ohuruogu had been under the radar in recent months, he added: "I think she's been under the radar in terms of publicity, but not under the radar to the head coach.

"I have seen a lot of her in training and she is definitely in better shape than she has been in the last two years."

....Van Commenee said this year's European Championships would be used as "a preparation for London", adding that the leading British field event athletes would be selected, but that the policy for track runners would be different.

"All track athletes who qualify for the Games after finishing in the top two in the Olympic trials will not be selected for Helsinki.

"The Championships come less than a week after the trials, and so we will select track athletes who didn't make the top two or who are still seeking qualifying times.

"Mostly those events will feature our number 3, 4 and 5 athletes. I don't think there will be many athletes in Europe who will rate the European Championships over the Olympics."

Van Commenee added that the exception to this rule would be the sprint relay teams, and possibly also the 4x400m relay teams.

...Jeanette Kwayke, winner of the 60m trials, is finishing her indoor season early as a precaution after feeling a minor aggravation in an achilles tendon.

"Jeanette is dealing with an Achilles problem and she obviously doesn't want to jeopardise her preparations for the Olympics, so she is doing the smart thing," the head coach said.

On the question of whether Dwain Chambers would be making an appearance in the European Championships, he said: "That will remain to be seen. First we have to get the ruling from CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) over the BOA (British Olympic Association) bylaw."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/su ... n-commenee
Geoff

Postby Tracker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Aldama 14.44 SB first round in Stockholm :)
Trails Saladuha and Savigne (14.62 & 14.47)
Tracker

Postby paul » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 pm

:D
That makes Aldama something like 7th ranked in the world this year.
She's definitely in the mix.
paul

Postby gruffalo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Well the best placed athlete at the Euros getting the third spot for OG is the daftest idea yet from UKA (and they've had a few).

One minute we keep hear they won't pick someone just because they have got the qualifying standard then harp on about only sending athletes "capable of ..." (most of whom never even sniff a final spot) to major championships next thing it is "whoever does best".

The third place should go to the best athlete.

Completely (very in the case of UKA) hypothetical situation. UK has three sprinters who can run sub 10. At the trials won in 9.98 third place athlete runs 10.01 - lets call him Billy Whizz. Billy has already run sub10 twice this season and a number of times 10.0?

Euros come along and Billy can't go (niggling injury, toothache, flu what ever or if you like false starts in the semi) but Colin Clubfoot can. Colin makes the final running a PB of 10.17 with a 1.9m/s tail wind then finishes 8th in 10.33

Who's the best athlete "capable of ..."
Who do you send.
gruffalo

Next

Return to Current events (Legacy Only)