Athletics Weekly

Carl Fletcher sentanced

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... ti-doping/
Forum rules
Note - this is not a place to make idle speculations. Anyone doing so will face a warning and/or a ban.

Carl Fletcher sentanced

Postby benn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:24 pm

http://www.uka.org.uk/media/news/novemb ... afficking/
benn

Re: Carl Fletcher sentanced

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Yet another shot putter - we haven't got many left have we! How many athletes have been banned in the past year or so?

Two former police officers involved as well which shows just about anyone can get involved with this sort of thing. I wonder whether the drugs were supplied to gym users or to athletes? Carl Fletcher, though, never failed a drug test as far as I am aware.
Geoff

Postby trickstat » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:07 pm

I just hope he doesn't have the gall to set foot inside a track again.
trickstat

Postby Ursus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Geoff wrote:Yet another shot putter - we haven't got many left have we!

And a fat lot of good it's done any of them.

Suppliers and users. Chicken or egg.
Ursus

Postby bevone » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:23 am

This is shocking news as much as I know his coach very well and know him and his training partners as they are friendly with some of my former training group, I had not known anything about this. I appreciate many of our shot putters have been caught recently but they were not world class throwers so you could summise that drugs are not the answer, which is what I have been saying all along! Knowing those involved does invoke feelings of sadness however, and how did they manage to get caught up in such a mess.
bevone

Postby Geoff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:31 am

Is there a link between this case and our other shot putters who have been banned recently. This seems to have come out of the blue. Was it purely driven through normal police action or from intelligence gained within athletics?

Carl Fletcher quite rightly gets a 4 year ban and Mark Edwards recently got 3 years. Both obviously above the standard 2 years and I'm not sure any other sport has such a dubious record in recent times.
Geoff

Postby readtherules » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:13 am

Geoff.

There have been a fair few cases in Rugby esp league and any non police element may, and I do say may, have come that route.
readtherules

Postby readtherules » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:23 am

This says that the case was unearthed by the Police, however his "client list" is being examined by UKAD.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... cking.html
readtherules

Postby bevone » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 am

He is banned for supplying and not taking I read. I wonder if he told of who he was supplying them to?
bevone

Postby bevone » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:53 pm

His client list - now that will be interesting. I would be very interested to know who is involved especially as I have been wrongly and maliciously targetted by UKAD as someone who is a risk. keep bringing it on - I have nothing to hide!
bevone

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Carl Fletcher's barrister stated in court he resorted to using drugs after failing to make the England Commonwealth Games team!

Corrupt police officers jailed

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/corrupt_ ... _1_3991025

Carl Fletcher, 28, of Old Road, Ashton, was jailed for nine months after admitting selling steroids from his shop, Flecks in Ashton.

His barrister Adam Lodge told the court how the talented shot-putter foolishly resorted to using the drugs after failing to be selected for the Commonwealth Games.

Mr Lodge told how he believed his competitors were using performance-enhancing drugs and decided to also try them in a bid to improve his chances.

Oldham rugby league player Terry Bridge, 23, was jailed for 10 months for also using his shop, Advanced Nutrition in Pemberton, as a front to sell steroids and supplying them to both Fletchers.
Geoff

Postby readtherules » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:53 pm

UKAD do not seem to have banned Bridge yet .
readtherules

Postby Geoff » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:17 pm

Fletcher drug trafficking case a major landmark for UK Anti-Doping

Parkinson revealed that vital information had come through on the case via the UK Anti-Doping confidential hotline.

"This case also shows the importance of the hotline and how crucial the information we get from that is," he said.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/su ... nti-doping

So this case came about through UKAD's hotline and not initially through police action. It's possible we may hear about others being sanctioned within sport as a result of this case.
Geoff

Postby readtherules » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Geoff wrote:Fletcher drug trafficking case a major landmark for UK Anti-Doping

Parkinson revealed that vital information had come through on the case via the UK Anti-Doping confidential hotline.

"This case also shows the importance of the hotline and how crucial the information we get from that is," he said.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/su ... nti-doping

So this case came about through UKAD's hotline and not initially through police action. It's possible we may hear about others being sanctioned within sport as a result of this case.

Geoff.

When was the quote from Parkinson made.If it was made at the time of the court case then if you read the rest of the stuff from the case it is clear that he is being rather clever in his statement.I cant think that Police officers went down for 7 yrs and guns were mentioned that it came from UKAD. And no one else has been done yet !! Not even the rugby player.
The case originated as early as spring but no one else !

In short ,I dont accept UKAD's slant on it.This was a very big long term Police case.
readtherules

Postby readtherules » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Geoff.

in addition.

This is the quote from your latest link.

"It was brilliant for us because we had our intelligence unit working closely with Merseyside Police and the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) throughout this operation and there was great cooperation between all of us to help bring about the UK's first trafficking violation.

And if you also look at the link I provided earlier and do so again ie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... cking.html

i think the conclution you would draw is that it did not come from UKAD "info line".
readtherules

Postby LiamRiley » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:55 pm

To be honest, it won't come as any surprise to locals that people are dealing steroids around Wigan. One night on King Street is enough to show that.
LiamRiley

Postby readtherules » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:49 pm

LiamRiley wrote:To be honest, it won't come as any surprise to locals that people are dealing steroids around Wigan. One night on King Street is enough to show that.

Ditto every town ,small or big.And do the police care ?

And there are tens of thousands of chemists punting out banned sports drugs.
readtherules

Postby javman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Totally irrelevant who initiated the investigation, uk ad or civpol. Bottom line another drugs cheat gets caught, the sport is a little bit cleaner and they may just get some intelligence that could lead to further cheats being caught!
javman

Postby readtherules » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:57 am

Not if UKAD seem to be claiming credit in more PR statements.
The Fletcher case was many months ago and we have not one other person charged;not even the Rugby player who is also in jail.
As WADA says "only the dumb doper gets cought".Yet the bill is £ .3 billion.
readtherules

Postby fangio » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:11 am

Good job they haven't then.

They have never claimed they initiated the entire investigation. They stated very clearly that one of the initial peices of evidence that lead to the conviction specifically of Mr Fletcher was a tip off to their hotline.

Geoff got it wrong, Readtherules is now using Geoff's mis=reading to make out that UKAD are claiming they started the investigation. UKAD have made no such claim anywhere.
fangio

Postby javman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:08 am

Fangio, even better then. Just shows that the ukad hotline is worthwhile. Another cheat bites the dust!
javman

Postby readtherules » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 am

But no other cases ,not even the Rugby player in jail.
Some UKAD investigation.
readtherules

Postby readtherules » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:19 pm

javman wrote:Fangio, even better then. Just shows that the ukad hotline is worthwhile. Another cheat bites the dust!

Who did he cheat?

Evidence based answer please.
readtherules

Postby Geoff » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:47 pm

fangio wrote:Good job they haven't then.

They have never claimed they initiated the entire investigation. They stated very clearly that one of the initial peices of evidence that lead to the conviction specifically of Mr Fletcher was a tip off to their hotline.

Geoff got it wrong, Readtherules is now using Geoff's mis=reading to make out that UKAD are claiming they started the investigation. UKAD have made no such claim anywhere.

It's not entirely clear who said what and when. If there is an agreement between the police and UKAD I hardly think the police would use the hotline. His uncle could well have been under investigation for a number of reasons before the call to UKAD but that call appears to be the start of UKAD's action against Fletcher.
Last edited by Geoff on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff

Postby readtherules » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:19 am

Geoff.

Think you better get your last post removed URGENT.
Twas the Uncle !
Unless you know something ?

See what happens with misassumptions and postings (ditto calls to UKAD)
readtherules

Postby javman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:31 pm

readtherules wrote:
javman wrote:Fangio, even better then. Just shows that the ukad hotline is worthwhile. Another cheat bites the dust!

Who did he cheat?

Read the rules, you can be such a fool, read the below taken from the newspaper!

His barrister Adam Lodge told the court how the talented shot-putter foolishly resorted to using the drugs after failing to be selected for the Commonwealth Games.

So he admitted use in a court of law, hence being branded a cheat! Is that enough evidence for you!
javman

Postby readtherules » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:08 pm

javman wrote:
readtherules wrote:

Who did he cheat?

Read the rules, you can be such a fool, read the below taken from the newspaper!

So he admitted use in a court of law, hence being branded a cheat! Is that enough evidence for you!

You are going to tell me this quote was in a link I provided.Silly chap I am if that was the case.
However UKAD did not do him for use.But a cheat,quite clearly.
Thank you.
I am still confused why no other cases/suspensions following his case.
readtherules

Postby Condemned » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Carl fletcher got sent to jail for possession with intent to supply class c drugs. There was no trafficking involved nor supply. He was also never tested positive ,simply because he has never taken steroids.
Condemned

Postby fangio » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Condemned, what's your interest in theis story, it is clearly not to be honest about the case. As reported int eh Wigan Today story.

"His barrister Adam Lodge told the court how the talented shot-putter foolishly resorted to using the drugs after failing to be selected for the Commonwealth Games.

Mr Lodge told how he believed his competitors were using performance-enhancing drugs and decided to also try them in a bid to improve his chances."

I suggest that this is a pretty clear indication that he admits having previously taken the drugs, either that or an act of gross misconduct by the Barrister in making up the story. Which is more likely?

As to the traffickign "conviction" he was banned by UKAD for 4 years for trafficking under the WADA regualtions, which is a different thing to being convicted under UK Law for drug trafficking. Similarly he was selling them from his shop, so he was supplying them.

Why the defence of someone like this. You are seriously in denial if you want to pretend that this scumbag has not taken steroids and was not having them sent to his shop and selling thme to others.
fangio

Postby fangio » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:47 pm

PS ever source I can find has him pleading guilty to supplying 16 types of drugs.

Furthermore from the St Helens Star

"Carl Fletcher, cousin of Fletcher senior, was jailed for nine months, after becoming involved in the supply of steroids after failing to win selection for last year’s Commonwealth Games.

The 28-year-old was found to be stockpiling steroids with a black market value of £6,500 at Fleck supplement shop, in Ashton-in-Makerfield, which he owned, and admitted possession with intent to supply class C drugs, chiefly steroids and HGH."

Now he had them at his shop, you say they weren't for moving on (trafficking) use or selling to others (supply). So what were they there for?
fangio

Next

Return to Anti-Doping (Legacy Only)