Athletics Weekly

Mike Rodgers tests positive

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... ti-doping/
Forum rules
Note - this is not a place to make idle speculations. Anyone doing so will face a warning and/or a ban.

Mike Rodgers tests positive

Postby andrew1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:10 am

Mike Rodgers has tested positive for drugs.B test yet to be done.
andrew1

Re: Mike Rodgers tests positive

Postby 3a » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:36 am

and it's just purely coincidental that both he and Mullings have set huge PBs this year. :roll: In a year where 19! Men have broken 10 seconds.

These men could be sacrificial positives, or they could have just opened the flood gates :/

Somewhere Pharmelita has her head down a toilet pot trying to clean out her system. :oops:
3a

Postby paulouk83 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:02 am

Gatlin and rogers were on the us team bad times for USA!
paulouk83

Postby mump boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Rogers tested positive for a stimulant, let's not get our knickers in a twist. Apparenly it was in an energy drink in an italian nightclub

I hate it when people write 'positive' with no distinction between stimulants and steroids.
mump boy

Postby Sotomayor » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:18 pm

At the end of the day it is banned, therefore performance enhancing. So I wouldn't be defending him if I were you.
Sotomayor

Postby mump boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Sotomayor wrote:At the end of the day it is banned, therefore performance enhancing. So I wouldn't be defending him if I were you.

You're not me but as you may know i have no time for anyone who takes drugs. There is a massive difference between systematically taking steroids over a prelonged period of time to gain an advantage and inadvertantly drinking an energy drink

I am not saying it was inadvertant just that it is relatively easy to uncosciously take a stimulant (many of them also give little or no benefit anyway), steroids almost impossible. I would prefer it, if there was some differentiation between a stimulant positive and a steroid one before branding people 'drug cheat'.

As we know stimulant positives can go hand in hand with other drug use only time will tell.

Do you think it helpful to place someone who got banned for cafeine (no longer on the banned list i believe) in the same category as Ben Johnson ?
mump boy

Postby LiamRiley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Maybe. However, Mike Rodgers has found himself in the unenviable category of sprinters who have been caught for a lesser offence, but who have just suddenly started running two tenths of second quicker than ever before (see Yohan Blake 2009).
LiamRiley

Postby Flumpy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Sotomayor wrote:At the end of the day it is banned, therefore performance enhancing. So I wouldn't be defending him if I were you.

Oh the irony of your name :lol:
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Flumpy wrote:

Oh the irony of your name :lol:

Maze

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mump boy

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Just seen this on Ato's twitter, suggesting MR's positive is one of the positive tests (and he said it after Mullings' test was announced):

AtoBoldon Ato Boldon
Yes that's one of the ones I referred to a few days ago. RT @nzaccardi: Reuters reporting Mike Rodgers tests positive for a stimulnt
17 hours ago
jjimbojames

Postby Flumpy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:16 pm

WAHOO!!! More on the way :mrgreen:
Flumpy

Postby Sotomayor » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:39 pm

mump boy wrote:Do you think it helpful to place someone who got banned for cafeine (no longer on the banned list i believe) in the same category as Ben Johnson ?

Didn't Ben Johnson claim someone put something in his drink when waiting to get tested in Seoul :roll: ......... we have heard it all before.
Sotomayor

Postby mump boy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:15 am

Sotomayor wrote:
mump boy wrote:Do you think it helpful to place someone who got banned for cafeine (no longer on the banned list i believe) in the same category as Ben Johnson ?

Didn't Ben Johnson claim someone put something in his drink when waiting to get tested in Seoul :roll: ......... we have heard it all before.

i an guessing that it would be much more difficult to spike someone's drink in the testing area at the olympics than it would to inadvertantly drink a stimulant :?
mump boy

Postby SteveK26 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 am

I would think that this damages the US relay squad irreparably as far as beating Jamaica is concerned. (assuming Rodgers is unable to compete in Daegu.)
It might even open up the way for the British squad to medal, provided they can negotiate that tricky old baton thing round without mishap!!
SteveK26

Postby devonian » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:14 am

Flumpy wrote:WAHOO!!! More on the way :mrgreen:

I hope Asafa's withdrawal from Crystal Palace has nothing to do with this...I'd be gutted if it was :?
devonian

Postby SteveK26 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:22 am

Why?
SteveK26

Postby devonian » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:13 am

SteveK26 wrote:Why?

Because a) I'd be surprised as I've never viewed him with any suspicion unlike a lot of male sprinters b) It would call into question all Jamaican performance, particularly with Mullings' recent snare c) The press would have a field day with such a high profile athlete being caught.

It's probably (hopefully) got nothing to do with Powell, it was just a '4 in the morning' connection between Ato's postings and Powell's late withdrawal from CP. How often have we heard about athletes pulling out of GP meets for some minor reason, disappearing from the scene and then being declared a cheat a few weeks later?

I sincerely hope this connection is wrong though, just me putting 2 and 2 together and getting 913 !!
devonian

Postby Flumpy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 pm

I hope so. Asafa being busted would be awful :(
Flumpy

Postby sovietvest » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:47 pm

jjimbojames wrote:Just seen this on Ato's twitter, suggesting MR's positive is one of the positive tests (and he said it after Mullings' test was announced):

AtoBoldon Ato Boldon
Yes that's one of the ones I referred to a few days ago. RT @nzaccardi: Reuters reporting Mike Rodgers tests positive for a stimulnt
17 hours ago

We've been here before with Ato. In 2009 he went online to say that he'd heard a REALLY big name had been caught a d it could mean the death of T&F (obvious who he was referring to).
sovietvest

Postby Kermit » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 pm

It appears that the USATF will be fighting this ban all the way until the start of the 100m and possibly beyond! All teams have to been in the hands of the IAAF within 24 hours and the "B" sample hearing is set for Wednesday.

My immediate thoughts are that he should not be allowed to compete.

As regards Powell - His coach has been on record that he could take his athletes to the legal limits relating to what is in their body and whilst this is a very dangerous game to play I do believe that Powell wouldn't knowingly succumb to the drugs culture.
Kermit

Postby Kermit » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:56 am

The USA Track and Field spokeswoman Jill Geer said the US Anti-Doping Agency is handling his case and would decide Rodgers' eligibility for the world championships in Daegu, South Korea

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/au ... CMP=twt_gu
Kermit

Postby LiamRiley » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Tough luck Mikey, (barring a B-test repreive) I predict he'll get a 3-6month ban for methylhexaneamine. I would be immensely surprised to see him at the start line in Daegu as that would be an unprecedented move.
LiamRiley

Postby Kermit » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:31 am

I've recently spotted a retweet that says that he will definitely be competing, a fact that would make a mockery of the sport
Kermit

Postby Flumpy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:36 am

USATF might clear him (For fear of being sued) but I can't see the IAAF agreeing.

He'll get 3 to 6 months surely.
Flumpy

Postby Kermit » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:50 pm

9 month ban retroactive to last July. He is allowed to resume competition in about 10 weeks which means he will be at the US Olympic Trials.

http://www.supersport.com/athletics/int ... mpics_hope
Kermit

Return to Anti-Doping (Legacy Only)