Athletics Weekly

Doping news

Drug-related news and topics. Note - this is not a place to make idle speculations.
Forum rules
Note - this is not a place to make idle speculations. Anyone doing so will face a warning and/or a ban.

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 pm

D pickup.

Two medalists done for T offence but cleared after appeal.Lab fouled up.Technicians working a 36 hr shift and could not be identified so as to be produced for appeal.
Hence my worry about the "gung ho" PR ref London.
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby d pickup » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:30 pm

readtherules wrote:D pickup.

Two medalists done for T offence but cleared after appeal.Lab fouled up.Technicians working a 36 hr shift and could not be identified so as to be produced for appeal.
Hence my worry about the "gung ho" PR ref London.


readtherules
Thanks for that. BLR has a feel for HT or something ...

In '11 BLR has:
- 4 top 20; = to RUS
- 7 over 73m
- top thrower ranking 6th at 79.23m

On the all-time list they have 3 in the top 6:
1 86.74 WR Yuriy Sedykh URS/UKR 11 Jun 55 1 EC Stuttgart 30 Aug 1986
2 86.73 NR Ivan Tikhon BLR 24 Jul 76 186/110 1 NC Brest 3 Jul 2005
3 86.04 NR Sergey Litvinov URS/RUS 23 Jan 58 1 Dresden 3 Jul 1986
4 84.90 Vadim Devyatovski BLR 20 Mar 77 194/120 1 Ovsyanik Minsk 21 Jul 2005
5 84.86 AR Koji Murofushi JPN 8 Oct 74 187/97 1 Odložila Praha 29 Jun 2003
6 84.62 Igor Astapkovich BLR 4 Jan 63 191/118 1 Sevilla 6 Jun 1992

But the chemists in Ldn '12 will check them out, well we hope, to see they are goodie boys.
d pickup
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Doping news

Postby Kermit » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:32 pm

The international body that oversees drug programs in sports is negotiating with “many” pharmaceutical companies to share information in an effort to prevent cheating, the group’s president said.


http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-1 ... mpics.html
Kermit
 
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:15 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Doping news

Postby Kermit » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:25 pm

While other athletes expressed concern about Cesar Cielo's doping ruling, swimming governing body FINA has announced it is "actively considering" adopting a biological passport program


http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article ... 549312.php
Kermit
 
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:15 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Doping news

Postby d pickup » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 am

IAAF newsletter 125 of 26jul11

Druggies listed:
Edwards GBR
Bramley NZL
De Naeyer BEL
Sedoc NED
Bagio BRA

see
www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/06/09/88/60988_PDF_English.pdf

###

'Sprinter Bernice Wilson will contest drugs charge'

see
www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/story-1300 ... story.html
d pickup
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Doping news

Postby LiamRiley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Steve Cram calls for review of recreational drugs bans
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/14304851.stm

"Recreational drugs are not the same as someone who has systematically tried to cheat to win. So an automatic two-year ban might not be right for that offence."

Absolutely right Cram-my. The fact that the British Olympic Association's Andy Hunt thinks two-year bans should be given to athletes for "being a bad role model" is a surprising revelation.

Perhaps Seb Coe should receive a retrospective ban because of his numerous sexual infidelities to his wife? Or Daley Thompson should receive a ban for being disparaging towards homosexuals? Oh wait Mr. Hunt, you have either (a) essentially not thought this through, or (b) believe that being a bad role model to children is of an equal negative standing as high level fraud, theft, and possession of illegal drugs (all three of which are often the case in real doping cases).

I am relatively hard-line on doping and I think it is an immense detriment to the idea that issues such as these are mixed in.
LiamRiley
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Doping news

Postby d pickup » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:29 am

Cram v Coe & Kwakye re recreational drugs
---
'Coe rejects idea of shorter bans for recreational drug abuse'

see
www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/co ... 27008.html
---
'Jeanette Kwakye calls for Team GB to lead the way on anti-doping'

see
www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/27/je ... -gb-doping

###

'We'll catch drug cheats, says Coe'

see
www.theage.com.au/sport/well-catch-drug ... 1i08m.html

###

'Five cases adjourned till Aug. 18'

India's alleged druggies.

see
www.thehindu.com/sport/athletics/article2299931.ece
d pickup
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:37 am

Sue Nichol, from UKS, commented that elite sportspeople are role models and those on lottery funding should not use social drugs.What about those they test who are neither.
What about other roll models(however defined) and what about all the other activities that are funded by lottery.Lets test these people.Lets put the stage chaps on whereabouts (or even MP's etc).

And then we have a performance enhancer with side effects that are being investigated that sponsors UKA.

Drug war madness.
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 am

d pickup wrote:Cram v Coe & Kwakye re recreational drugs
---
'Coe rejects idea of shorter bans for recreational drug abuse'

see
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 27008.html
---
'Jeanette Kwakye calls for Team GB to lead the way on anti-doping'

see
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/ju ... -gb-doping

###

'We'll catch drug cheats, says Coe'

see
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/well-cat ... 1i08m.html

###

'Five cases adjourned till Aug. 18'

India's alleged druggies.

see
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/athletics ... 299931.ece


Last link.
"NADA disaplinary panel".Sorry but should be independent of the prosecutor just like in UK with NADP.Minor point but it make come back to haunt them.
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby fangio » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am

RTR - you say the drug war is madness, we all know you would wave the white flag and lett anyne off with any excuse you coudl not verfiy as untrue, those who love the sport prefer a more stringent approach that actuallytries to stop drug taking.

Illegal recreational drugs are banned from sport too, do you want sport to sanction illegal behaviour? The arts do not have rules, there is no body that gives rules for acting etc and bans people so why would they have a drug test policy?
fangio
 
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:39 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby BigGut » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 am

Whilst they are on the banned list I would want to see anybody who takes them banned.

However if there are drugs that categorically do not enhance performance or mask other abuses then I would remove them from the list. I would still leave anyone who was banned prior to their removal banned, but I would remove them. the reason for this is that if somebody commits a murder they do not get banned from athletics, so I don't see that we can ban recreational drug users.

I wouldn'campaign for it, but in my opinion I don't see the reason as enough to warrant a ban.
BigGut
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:35 am

fangio wrote:RTR - you say the drug war is madness, we all know you would wave the white flag and lett anyne off with any excuse you coudl not verfiy as untrue, those who love the sport prefer a more stringent approach that actuallytries to stop drug taking.

Illegal recreational drugs are banned from sport too, do you want sport to sanction illegal behaviour? The arts do not have rules, there is no body that gives rules for acting etc and bans people so why would they have a drug test policy?


The whole basis of the Cram thing was to allow social drugs.If this was the case then there would be no rules and thus actors would be the same as athletes.Thus Nichols comments are wrong.
Simples

Illegal behaviour is dealt with by the normal legal procedures.
Simples
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:37 am

Social drugs,

Not banned out of comp except during the "Olympic period"
And Coke can be an enhancer.

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World ... 011_EN.pdf
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:53 am

Adams link.Did not realise how "simples" it all was !!

How far up the IQ chart do you have to be.

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/ADAMS ... 7-2011.pdf
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby BigGut » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:59 am

Clearly higher than you if that is your response.
BigGut
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 pm

BigGut wrote:Clearly higher than you if that is your response.


Come on be sensible.No insults would help explore an interesting subject area.
By the way what was my post in response to ?
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby BigGut » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Are you saying that you have read the rules but don't understand them? It is clear that on other sets of rules that you have published this has been the case, so are you saying that on this set of rules you have read them but do not understand them or not?
BigGut
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:50 pm

BigGut wrote:Are you saying that you have read the rules but don't understand them? It is clear that on other sets of rules that you have published this has been the case, so are you saying that on this set of rules you have read them but do not understand them or not?



Sorry;which rules ?
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:52 pm

readtherules wrote:
BigGut wrote:Are you saying that you have read the rules but don't understand them? It is clear that on other sets of rules that you have published this has been the case, so are you saying that on this set of rules you have read them but do not understand them or not?



Sorry;which rules ?



I add that : I thought a sensible discussion would take place on the whereabouts and out you come, yet again, with insults.
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby BigGut » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 pm

It wasn't a sensible discussion it was you posting up links again with minimum actual commenty and what comment you make being as ambiguous as possible.

readtherules wrote:Adams link.Did not realise how "simples" it all was !!

How far up the IQ chart do you have to be.

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/ADAMS ... 7-2011.pdf


What about the ADAMS link, What are you atually saying? Make a point and people may actually be able to discuss things with you. All you do is post ambiguously and put up links and then say that dopers should get off because of the content in the links.

So when you posted up the above I could only assume that you were unable to understand it afert all you had made no comment on it other than to say how far up the IQ chart do you have to be. What is wrong with the Adams document? Specifically according to you. Don't just tell people to read it, tekll us which part you have an issue with and why.
BigGut
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Adams.
Posted for info.
However does seem a bit complicated .
There is a new one on its way so I think WADA agrees with me.
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby BigGut » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Any evidence that WADA agree with you? And agree with you in what way?

What are you saying is specifically wrong with it?

Are you saying that the things that are wrong with it should mean people shouldn't be cited for doping offences?

Can you please stop posting generically and start making actual specific points that can be discussed and debated.
BigGut
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm

BigGut wrote:Any evidence that WADA agree with you? And agree with you in what way?

What are you saying is specifically wrong with it?

Are you saying that the things that are wrong with it should mean people shouldn't be cited for doping offences?

Can you please stop posting generically and start making actual specific points that can be discussed and debated.


Read Fordyce BBC previously provided when WADa said new version of Adams to follow ,one that is user friendly.

If athletes can not understand or are competant in Adams it may mean that filing errors could be excused.
In Football; all Adams is done by club official (Player still responsible).
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby BigGut » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:21 pm

No I won't read it. You tell me what has been specifically said. Are you saying that athletes are failing to submit their whereabouts because they can't understand the system. If so then let's have your evidence.
BigGut
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:20 pm

BigGut wrote:No I won't read it. You tell me what has been specifically said. Are you saying that athletes are failing to submit their whereabouts because they can't understand the system. If so then let's have your evidence.


No.But if the info is not complete and they dont understand and full training has not been demonstrated then a filing error may be excused.I cant give the evdence but I understand some extra time has been provided, by agreement, to submit.
There have been instances of a training programme being run but some not there and no attempts to deal with those not there.And also blind /deaf etc in para sport.
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby d pickup » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:26 am

'Contaminated sample led to failed test - Bernice Wilson '

The Lincolnshire Saga.

see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/9550546.stm

###

'Athletes run a mile from NADA hearing'

The Indian saga.

see
www.tehelka.com/story_main50.asp?filena ... SPORTS.asp

###

'Anti-doping chief says drug ban on cocaine must be RELAXED for Games'

The British saga.

see
www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/a ... -bans.html
d pickup
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Doping news

Postby d pickup » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 am

Lashawn Merritt, USA, '86, 43.75 '08 OLY gold, 44.06 '09 World gold, will be competing in Stockholm tonight, lane 2 in 400m, returning from his 21m druggie 'I am innocent' time.

It was so bizarre as to be believable (& easily made the top 10 creative excuses to suggest druggie innocence), or did he know a lot about drugs infact, so do we believe he was in fact innocent, and really did just injest something to give penis enlargement (or something like that)?
d pickup
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Doping news

Postby readtherules » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:01 am

d pickup wrote:Lashawn Merritt, USA, '86, 43.75 '08 OLY gold, 44.06 '09 World gold, will be competing in Stockholm tonight, lane 2 in 400m, returning from his 21m druggie 'I am innocent' time.

It was so bizarre as to be believable (& easily made the top 10 creative excuses to suggest druggie innocence), or did he know a lot about drugs infact, so do we believe he was in fact innocent, and really did just injest something to give penis enlargement (or something like that)?


Read the judgement and readers may well change your opinion of his cheating.

However big point is that it defo seems the drug banned atheletes bab has gone.More effect of real law catching up.
readtherules
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby 3a » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:42 am

I'm genuinely annoyed to see the women's sprints ruined by the most blatant drugs cheat since Kellie White. (Marion was only obvious in the wake of BALCO IMO). I'm having nightmares about a situation worse than Kellie's, Paris 03.

A certain acne ridden, deep voiced, bicep bulging con artist winning Gold 100m-Gold 200m-Gold 4x100m and being scuppered after the relay!! To ruin the fricken champs. When will she be caught, seriously???????? :| :|
3a
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 pm

Re: Doping news

Postby LiamRiley » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:12 pm

d pickup wrote:'Anti-doping chief says drug ban on cocaine must be RELAXED for Games'

The British saga.

see
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... -bans.html

Glad to see that Michael Stow is a very sensible man: "'We want the prohibited list to be an evidence-based document, not a question of moral and ethics."

Tanni Grey-Thompson is right to say that it is a bad thing for prominent sportsmen and women to take any drugs, but she misses the bloody point. Unless you want the legal system to completely unravel anti-doping efforts, then doping rules should be solely about enforcing fair play in sport - that is the only real domain WADA rules can have.

My local church doesn't impose sanctions on ecstasy users, neither do Oxfam, my mum, or the guy who sells me veg on a Saturday. That doesn't mean they approve of ecstasy - just that it isn't within their remit to do anything about it. Leave anything that doesn't un-even the field of play to the national police authorities.
LiamRiley
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:07 am

PreviousNext

Return to Anti-Doping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron

 

Athletics Weekly Limited © 2010. Terms of use

Design by The Church of London