Athletics Weekly

Shanghai

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Shanghai

Postby shivfan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Once again, Tyson Gay will run against Asafa Powell, at the Shanghai athletics meet on Sunday. Others expected to run in the 100 are Simeon Williamson, Darvis Patton, Mike Rodgers, Marc Burns and Kim Collins. Wallace Spearmon is expected to go u against Shawn Crawford in the 200, while the 400 should feature Lashawn Merritt, Jeremy Warriner and Rob Tobin.

Pole vault queen Yelena Isinbayeva is also scheduled to take part, and it was even rumoured that China's high hurdles champion Liu Xiang might make a comeback at this event, against Terrence Trammell. The women's 100 will feature the in-form Carmelita Jeter against Veronica Campbell-Brown, Sherone Simpson and Joyce Maduaka, while the 200 has Allyson Felix going up against Simone Facey, Debbie Ferguson and Emily Freeman.

In the 400, Shericka Williams and Novlene Williams run against Nicole Sanders and Lee McConnell, while the 100 hurdles will see Brigitte Foster-Hylton trying to continue her winning run against Dawn Harper, Lacena Golding and Perdita Felicien. And can Melaine Walker continue her success in the 400 hurdles against Josanne Lucas?
shivfan

Postby speedyg2012 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:30 pm

When is Tyson Gay getting that surgery done? These extra events he attends now must be pushing his groin...

Go Sanders. :D
speedyg2012

Postby Javelin Sam » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:14 pm

no throws?
Javelin Sam

Postby lsabre » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:43 pm

I agree Speedy... GO SANDERS!!!

Good to see a useful number of Brits contesting the meeting while there were hardly any present in previous editions...
lsabre

Postby Kermit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:04 pm

Guess I'll have one eye on the Manchester derby and one eye on http://qoenp.tk
Kermit

Postby mump boy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 pm

people are still actually paying simeon williamson to run :? :shock:
mump boy

Postby shivfan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:22 am

Javelin Sam wrote:no throws?

I didn't preview everything, because I was a little tired....
8)
Here's the full list of athletes and participants:

http://www.shggp.com/?n=17-50&news=567

There's also the 800 for men, 1500 for both, long jump for men, high jump for men, and triple jump for women. So yes, no throws....

Speedy, good to see that the name 'Gay' doesn't get modded on AW!
:lol:
As I said on 606, TG did say in his Thessaloniki that he would do one or two more races, and then have his surgery. After Shanghai, he's booked to run at Daegu, so I suppose that's it after that....
shivfan

Postby Kermit » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:48 am

Gay had mentioned long before WAF (in fact it was pre WC) that he would have the op at the end of his season. But then he's just doing what all athletes are doing post WC - earning money. The operation shouldn't take long to recover from surgery. Most sports people return to training within 3 weeks.
Kermit

Postby Kermit » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:35 am

Sprinter Tyson Gay said on Saturday that he will challenge Jamaican rival Usain Bolt's 100 metres world record when he recovers from a groin injury.

"As long as I'm healthy and focused ... I think I'm going to look at it," the American told a news conference on Saturday ahead of the Shanghai Golden Grand Prix.

http://www.reuters.com/article/olympics ... 3120090919

STREAM http://qoenp.tk
Kermit

Postby shivfan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks for the stream, Kermit....

Let's see how Collins fares in one of his farewell races. He'll also be running at Daegu, I believe.
shivfan

Postby hemlock » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Some wonderful performances here!

1. Felix 22.37 (+1.4)
5. Freeman 22.79 (+1.4)

1. Williams 49.83
4. Sanders 50.80
6. McConnell 51.45 (Seasons Best)

And as for Jeter (10.64 +1.2) and Gay (9.69 +2.0)! WOW!

http://www.shggp.com/results/re1040040.html
hemlock

Postby hemlock » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Tobin (45.49) narrowly second to Merritt (45.28s).

Harry A-A 10.13 in 5th, just ahead of the great Kim Collins.
Last edited by hemlock on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hemlock

Postby shivfan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:16 pm

What a meet!

Tyson Gay and Jeter are now the second fastest men and women of all time....

And Nesta Carter showed his promise, by finishing fourth in a PB of 9.91. I think we're going to see a lot more of this young man next season.

Good to see Melaine Walker winning yet another 400 hurdles. And Felix won the 200 ahead of the Caribbean vets Cydonie Mothersill and Debbie Ferguson.
shivfan

Postby hemlock » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Sorry shivfan! I wasn't deliberately not mentioning the Jamaicans. (I did mention Shericka
...and now I'll admit that Novlene ran her very close, going sub-50 too!)
I just happened to focus on the GB results. And the WL and AR headlines!
hemlock

Postby hemlock » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Whatever is wrong with Tyson Gay's groin, I wouldn't mind having his problems!!! :lol:
hemlock

Postby lsabre » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:26 pm

Wow, justice looks to come swift and sharp these days, isn't it? It's hardly several weeks ago that I came under a heavy barrage from a number of people here when I maintained that Tyson Gay has yet to run his fastest times and could still improve on his 9.71 secs in Berlin, marked as his limit by some!

Well, it seems Lsabre has been spot on again! Despite being a 'teenager' rather than some self-pronounced 'adults' *chuckle*... My answer is Tyson Gay 9.69 secs! And although with a perfect 2.0 m/s tailwind, performed at the end of a long season and on a troublesome groin suggests that there's a lot more to come. So beware all those quick to write off his chances!

There was smashing depth in the 100m in Shangai with Asafa Powell coming second in 9.85 secs, Darvis Patton dipping under 9.9 for the first ever time in 9.89 secs and Carter Nesta fourth in also a PB of 9.91 secs! Harry Aikines-Ayreety was fifth in a SB of 10.13 secs to bow out the season on a high!
lsabre

Postby Javelin Sam » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 pm

i'm going with there's nothing wrong with his groin he's just got to have an excuse for being thrashed by bolt all season. He'll go on the juice all winter and come out next season running 9.5's claiming his groin is fixed. He just doesn't have the stride length to compete with bolt any other way. Think about how much harder he's got to be working to cover the same ground.
Javelin Sam

Postby lsabre » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Carmelita Jeter, on the other hand, became only the second woman in history to have run more than once under 10.7 over 100m in legal wind conditions in setting a second PB of 10.64 in quick succession.

I reckon her WAF run of 10.67 was comparetively better in a slight headwind of -0.3 m/s but her latest burst firmly establishes her in the driving seat of the women's dash.

Further, that provides evidence that Flo-Jo's 'unthinkable' WR of 10.49 could come under serious threat in the following seasons. Nice to think that eventually there seem to be less untouchable records than thought of at first sight....

Fine race in the women's 400m with the two Williams, Shericka and Novlene, searing under 50 secs with 49.83 and 49.85 respectively where Nicola Sanders ran her second fastest time this term in 50.80 secs to wrap up a good finish on the season, providing a higher startpoint to the following one.

Lee McConnell ran a late SB of 51.45 secs, Rob Tobin was an excellent second in 45.49 secs in windy conditions not so far behind mighty LaShawn Merritt, Emily Freeman enjoyed another sound trip of 22.79 secs over 200m and Helen Clitheroe posted a SB of 4:08.31 over 1500m in a successful outing for the Brits!
Last edited by lsabre on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsabre

Postby lsabre » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm going that his perpetual shaky starts and build-up into his races where a clear indication that he was suffering from his groin. Usain Bolt is the No1 over 100m but the distance between them is not as big as some think...
lsabre

Postby Javelin Sam » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:09 pm

thing to remember is that flojo did that 10.49 up to her eyeballs on roid's and anyone who chooses to deny it is a fool. If the record goes i'd be seriously testing that athlete for every possible drug that could be enhancing that performance!
Javelin Sam

Postby lsabre » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Well, I'm sorry Sam, but there's no evidence or backing-up to either of your claims, nor there is actually some inductive reasoning behind them. If, eg, Valerie Villi sometime breaks the women's Shot record, should she be seriously tested for every possible drug enhancing performance given the shadow cast over records set by East European athletes in the 80s?
lsabre

Postby 100m » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:54 pm

That WR of Flo-Jo's needs to be scrapped, not only are their te drug claims but the fact that a triple jump competitionat the same time had a wind reading of 5.1 m/s and somehow the 100 was a zero wind

Super run's from Gay and Jeter
100m

Postby Maza1987 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Well done jeter.

1 down, 1 to go. 8)

Ps. well done gay. Perfect wind and a good performance.
Maza1987

Postby roseben » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:17 pm

Two points

Firstly the 2.00 wind for Gay compares with Bolt who either had little or no wing or a slight wind against in his runs; the 2.00 wind is always suspect to me anyway. TG is not in Bolts class though an outstanding sprinter.
As for TG's groin, I am utterly sceptical about how badly it has affected him.

There is evidence, despite the nonsense talked by the GAoO, that Flo Jos so called 10.49 was illegal. The TFN site for the last 2 years ages has had fans, athletes, officials who were in all the right places that day and as Americans posting on their site it is obvious from their comments that the so called NIL wind was rubbish.
There is

has been also strong photographic evidence on TFN Forum showing the wind blowing strongly and I somehow doubt that the GAoO was there at the time. One or two people present on the straight at the timme of FloJos so call 10.49, have referred to the probability that the wind gauge was f**ked. Rather like the Luffbra wind gauge when GAoO 's fav athlete ran 11.05. :P :P :P

Flo Jo was as clean as my younger grandsons nappies when he was a tiddler. :roll: :roll:

1988 was the high point of drug taking in the Athletics world and the Yanks were never going to allow others to gain advantage at the Olympics.

Many of the posters on this Forum know full well, if they read the posts and home pages on TFN Forum, that the Americans in their own way were just as guilty as the East Europeans and Russians of cheating. I trust FloJo's performances as much as the East German world records and some of the Russian crap of the Eighties, deed I do. :( :( :(

Right throughout the Cold War period there were plenty of right wing fanatics in America, on USOC and USATF, as it is now called, who did not bother about cheating on a world stage and the evidence presented by informed opinion is very convincing.
The chief anti doping officer in America in the Eighties/ Nineties blew the whole thing open and was given a deal which forbade him from making the doped athletes story public in the future. This year once again the whole tawdry story has raised its ugly head.

So Jav Sam, yes, you are right Gay is not yet and never is likely to be in Bolt's class. If the public pressure on UB is bearable for him and he does not screw up, he will run sub 9.50 and and sub 19.10.

Congrats to Jeter on her legal world best time by an athlete who appears to be clean in a performance this year with no phony 0.00 wind reading.

Only ill informed frigging idiots can doubt the Jamaican's superiority.
roseben

Postby lsabre » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:57 pm

As usual, much of a muchness with hardly any substance at all on your part Rosebeef, proving how irrelevant you are with the sport whatsoever:

a. If you have any substantial evidence about your claims on Flo-Jo or anyone else, then bring it on the table. Speculation about what one did or didn't is totally irrelevant and carries no weigh at all. Hence your views are totally groundless, as was counting 20km Race Walking out of the reckoning the other day. What you may think does not matter.

Further, once again, try to get into your empty head that what matters in a wind-gauge reading is what the wind is down the home straight.

If the wind blows in a sideways direction, it doesn't matter what its force might be across the arena, it's what indication it provides the wind-gauge with. So, you can have a strong wind of 3-4.0 m/s blowing sideways but having a 1.0-1.5m/s speed down the home straight; it's the latter that matters, and in such a case the run is legal. The rest you set out is clearly of no substance and therefore indifferent and irrelevant.

b.Tyson Gay ran 9.69 at the end of a long season with his groin problem totally apparent - the rest you mention is again evidence of someone's lack of knowledge in what one's watches - so it would be really interesting to see what he can do trouble-free and at his peak. As I said, Usain Bolt is No1 but the distance between them is far shorter than many imagine.

Further, I should remind you that you claimed that Gay's 9.71 was his limit and wouldn't go faster - well, it didn't even take a month for you to choke another plate down your throat! You see, your big-mouth talking should be accompanied by things of substance rather be ruled by your own complexes and irrelevance.

Once again, you just ate the dust, but it's totally alright as it has become a regular dish for you - it hasn't been the first time and it definitely won't be the last ;-)
Last edited by lsabre on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
lsabre

Postby eldrick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:10 am

Javelin Sam wrote:i'm going with there's nothing wrong with his groin he's just got to have an excuse for being thrashed by bolt all season

same groin which stopped him running 200 in peking, when bolt only had 19.75pb at the time ???

He'll go on the juice all winter and come out next season running 9.5's claiming his groin is fixed.

aren't there any bans for unfounded doping allegations around here ???

He just doesn't have the stride length to compete with bolt any other way.

eh ???

seeing as he's 5'11 & bolt is 6'5, what on earth drugs are going to give him that stride length ???

however, seeing as he's gone 9.69 today, losing close to 0.1s at the start, what other factors other than stride length are there possible ???
eldrick

Postby eldrick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:37 am

lsabre wrote:Further, once again, try to get into your empty head that what matters in a wind-gauge reading is what the wind is down the home straight and during the first 30m of the race - that's the stretch the apparatus measures the wind force within

needs correcting

it is placed at about 60m mark & left on until at least 1st guy finishes
eldrick

Postby fatmanrunning » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:42 am

" Darvis Patton dipping under 9.9 for the first ever time in 9.89 secs "

Not sure why I'm being this picky but pretty sure darvis equalled his pb from US trials last year so had been sub 9.9 before. he also went quicker in the wind assisted sub 9.7 final by TG that year.
fatmanrunning

Postby lsabre » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:16 am

Yeah, you're right Fatmanrunning, that was an equal PB from Darvis Patton, initially misled by the PB incication in the results. So that's actually the second time he's been under 9.9...

Eldrick to re-correct you and myself *chuckle*, the wind-gauge is placed at the 50m mark on the inside of the track at a distance no more than 2m from lane one. I didn't mean that the gauge is stopped within 30m of the race but its readings cover some 30m of the whole distance...

I was actually misled by the same mistake as someone who was teaching us about the placement and use of the wind-gauge a couple of months ago, but checked it out just a little while ago in the official IAAF Athletics Officials textbook...
lsabre

Postby shivfan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:28 am

No need to apologise at all, hemlock....
:D
We all tend to highlight the athletes we're interested in.

I only highlighted Carter's achievement, because there are some in Jamaica who think the young man will run better than Powell himself next season! We'll see....
shivfan

Next

Return to Current events