Athletics Weekly

apolagy to aw

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... nt-events/

apolagy to aw

Postby gary oldfield » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:39 pm

i am very sorry if i have offended anyone on this forum, i had not known that this forum was for the under twelves i just assumed that grown up used it.

i am very sorry that the word "public" offended anyone, i believed in good faith that this word was perfectly legal, if i had known different i would have edited it out like the headmaster did.

i am sorry that i hadn't known that foul and abusive language is tolerated but two words i used can be used in any church, court, school and every sphere of everyday life without the threat of jail.

sorry i didn't know that all threads are monitored by the head teacher who deletes any that he doesn't agree with although they contain no foul language, do not defame anyone's character and not libelous.

sorry because i have not insulted anybody, been crude and vulgar but find that i am persecuted.

i have very little doubts that now the time has come for the bullies to ban me that they will say i have been all these things. that i am a foul mouth yob, that i have broken THEIR RULES, that i glorified paedophiles and child snatchers, that my post have had to be removed because ........ this is what i expect from the blue crayon brigade. well people in glass houses shouldn't........

my new user name came about because of THEM and not because i want to cause offence and alarm, but they challenge me, labeled me a pervert, to which no abusive term is so richly deserved.

here's a little ditty for you
first they came for the comrade, but i did not speak out....

ban me, i demanded it.
now for you lucky ones who have had the chance to read this, because it wont be long before the blue crayon is out once more, here in your own language
barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr barr .
gary oldfield

Postby admin » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:45 pm

This is a moderated board and we have to remember that many AW readers are young athletes
admin
Site Admin

Postby gary oldfield » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:02 pm

yes this is true, young athletes do read this forum. the point is that my user name "public pervert" is from a song title by Interpol, which can be purchased legally by these young athletes. the record does not have a parental control notice on it, so i am assuming that this is perfectly ok for young people. now mr admin, how many of your precious athletes parents allowed these young impressionable people to buy eminem records with its homophobic content, its misogynist content and its violence?
why do you think you know better than the British government when it comes to parental controls? the young people of britain are NOT stupid, stop treating them as such. censorship is not the answer but education and openness is.
all the best
belson was a gas.
gary oldfield

belson

Postby ronnie rhino » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:07 pm

You might misspell, but I find such names deeply offensive.

You wouldn't use such a name if you had Jewish family or in particular had lost any relatives in the Holocaust. Frankly, David Irving is a persona
non grata, and in my eyes, using such " jokey appellations " so are you.

I leave the administrators to draw their own conclusions.

Mike Welford
Altrincham and District

PS My own appellation of Ronnie Rhino refers merely to our club mascot.
Yours is a gross insult and beyond the pale.
ronnie rhino

Postby kima » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:00 am

haven't been here for ages and come upon this first time back. :shock:

Your name is disgusting, and affront to all. I am sure once this is brought to the attention of the admin it will be gone.

Well I see you had the good sense to edit it yourself. Good.
kima

Postby Pelle3 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:44 am

You were out of line. Reader age notwithstanding, your post was offensive to one/more viewers here. Moderators doing their best at keeping this place fun and interesting place to visit.
Pelle3

Postby roadrunner » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:15 pm

Publicperverts user name was fine. Can't see what is causing the big issue here. Both words in the dictionary and used often in my profession. What next, they will be banning the word running. As far as I can see, many viewers of this forum cant do much running as they are always moaning on here.
roadrunner

Postby kima » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:56 pm

Roadrunner- I don't thnk you saw the name he used after the pp one. Fortunately he edited it yesterday.
kima

Postby roadrunner » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:27 pm

I did see garys other name he used, and yes, it could be classed as in bad taste. I know of Gary, and I am sure he did not mean to cause anyone any disrespect or upset.

I would like to see this forum work towards being a very useful tool, for runners, athletes, (Is there a difference between a runner and an athlete?)coaches, people interested in athletics and people who are trying to get in to athletics. This way it is of use and not just a public slanging match between runners etc. It could be very useful if we get over the problems it seems to be having at the moment.
roadrunner

Postby kima » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:36 pm

roadrunner wrote:I did see garys other name he used, and yes, it could be classed as in bad taste. I know of Gary, and I am sure he did not mean to cause anyone any disrespect or upset.

I would like to see this forum work towards being a very useful tool, for runners, athletes, (Is there a difference between a runner and an athlete?)coaches, people interested in athletics and people who are trying to get in to athletics. This way it is of use and not just a public slanging match between runners etc. It could be very useful if we get over the problems it seems to be having at the moment.

Don't disagree at all about your vision for the forum. No way though will I sit back and let a beyond tasteless joke about the Holocaust go by.
That is one subject that just has no funny side to it.
kima

Postby AllanT » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:04 pm

While I would agree that the Holocaust should not be demeaned I think some of you are showing your ignorance in your outrage. Belson was a gas is actually the name of a song by the Sex Pistols.
AllanT

Postby kima » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:10 pm

AllanT wrote:While I would agree that the Holocaust should not be demeaned I think some of you are showing your ignorance in your outrage. Belson was a gas is actually the name of a song by the Sex Pistols.

I like the Sex Pistols but didn't know that song. BUT just because it is a song doesn't make it funny. Of course perhaps Belson refers to something else but it certainly does bring up a connection to the concentration camps as well.
Anyway he changed his name and that is for the best IMHO.
kima

Postby AllanT » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:46 pm

Yes I agree, it probably is for the best to save any misunderstanding.

Incidentally Kima was the name of a particularily brutal guard my Grandad mentioned when he was held as a prisoner of the Japanese during the second world war. I realise you probably didn't intend it, but that name is offensive to me. Is there any chance you could change it please?
AllanT

Postby WALDORF » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:10 am

Kima, a lovely name originating in hawaii, there are a number of famous industries named Kima also, hang on to it.
WALDORF

Postby Nuvoleinviaggio » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:42 pm

Kima is a nice name! :) it's also the name of an important race on the Alps

http://www.kima.org/percorso.htm
Nuvoleinviaggio

Postby AllanT » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 pm

but just because it is the name of several companies, and a race does not make it any less offensive. Or is it only the holocaust which is considered important, all other attrocities can be forgotten about?
AllanT

Postby alf tupper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:43 pm

Surely every name in the world must have some such tenuous link?

There is a difference between a single name and a name quoted with a specific link.
alf tupper

Postby WALDORF » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:43 pm

So everyone named Kima should change there name if they are on any forum you are on...I do not think so! The opinion of one = 0
WALDORF

Postby AllanT » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:47 pm

alf tupper wrote:Surely every name in the world must have some such tenuous link?

There is a difference between a single name and a name quoted with a specific link.

And what you still fail to realise is that the specific link is with a song by the sex pistols. Have you campaigned for the song to be banned as well, or does your zealotry only last as long as an email?

I think it has more to do with the problem you have with Gary as opposed to you caring that much about the name of a song. Why are YOU persecuting him? There are many things people find offensive in this world, that does not mean that they have the right to force others not to do or say those things.
AllanT

Postby AllanT » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:56 pm

broadsword wrote:So everyone named Kima should change there name if they are on any forum you are on...I do not think so! The opinion of one = 0

well if the opinion of one means nothing, then I'm sure we can get about 30 or more runners on here to post that Gaz's name should be reinstated.
AllanT

Postby penguin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:23 pm

right.. i shall say this only once..........

GROW UP!! HELL FIRE YOU ARE A LOAD OF KIDS SQUABBLING OVER NAMES THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE THAN A NAME.. TRY A LIFE!!
penguin

Postby Fleeter » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:50 pm

what the hell is wrong with public pervert or belson was a gas?

talking about young athletes i am one and dont see why people would get offended by that if you do then you are pretty stupid

reinstate it!!
Fleeter

apology

Postby anorak » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:40 pm

I really can't see what all the fuss is about. There are too many people these days being easily offended by this that and the other. Theres far more important things going on in the world than allowing yourself to be offended by something or someone who never set out to be offensive in the first place. I've browsed this forum for a while and finally thought it necessary to register in order to make my point here.

If you find someone offensive - don't read their posts, just as if you don't like something on the telly then turn it off - there's much more on the box that could be construed as 'offensive' than Gary could be.

As with many others on this forum, i've known Gary an awful long time - thoroughly nice bloke & a big big music fan, hence the problems created by those people who obviously are not.
anorak

Postby kima » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:41 am

So who are the ones making a big deal out of it? :roll: :roll:
kima

Postby FellFire » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:16 pm

I think comrade is generally very funny and a decent bloke

maybe in this instance he should have deferred a little more graciously,

but we would miss him if he stopped posting on our forum
FellFire

Return to Current events (Legacy Only)