Athletics Weekly

Win a piece of sporting history!

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Win a piece of sporting history!

Postby pegleg » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:34 pm

Paula is giving away her bib from Helsinki.

http://www.paularadcliffe.com/fanzone/comp.php
pegleg

Re: Win a piece of sporting history!

Postby penguin » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:01 pm

pegleg wrote:Paula is giving away her bib from Helsinki.

http://www.paularadcliffe.com/fanzone/comp.php

i take it she is giving the goody bag away as it's sponsered by adidas! if it was Puma i could see it going in the bin :oops:
penguin

Postby roadrunner » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:15 pm

A cheeky Penguin could end up in the middle of my table this Christmas day instead of the turkey if you dont watch out.

As for this site I have just been directed to, read the guest book. OMG, tell me someone is paid to make them all up? I feel very sick now.
roadrunner

Postby Javelin Sam » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:14 pm

it's hardly pele's world cup winning shirt is it???
Javelin Sam

Postby Fleeter » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:45 pm

why would i want her bloody bib for f**ks sake!!
Fleeter

Postby pegleg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:24 am

Javelin Sam wrote:it's hardly pele's world cup winning shirt is it???
Some people are never satisfied :roll:

Fleeter wrote:why would i want her bloody bib for f**ks sake!!
True athletics fans would treasure such an item. If you're not interested, then you don't have to enter the contest, much less post about it on here.

Jesus, it's like listening to a bunch of grumpy old men in a pub in here. Get back to the FRA forum where you grumps belong.

It never ceases to amaze me that people feel compelled to make negative comments. Did your parents never teach you that gem about "if you haven't got anything nice to say..."
pegleg

Postby kima » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:48 am

Javelin Sam wrote:it's hardly pele's world cup winning shirt is it???

You guys are truly pathetic.

You don't have to be big Paula fans but for God's sake she is one of the greatest female athletes your country has ever produced. How truly sad that it makes you feel better about yourselves to put someone of her caliber down. You really look like fools.
kima

Postby roadrunner » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:23 am

pegleg wrote:Jesus, it's like listening to a bunch of grumpy old men in a pub in here. Get back to the FRA forum where you grumps belong.

It never ceases to amaze me that people feel compelled to make negative comments. Did your parents never teach you that gem about "if you haven't got anything nice to say..."

Who has been censoring my friends posts? I thought this was a discuss board for people to discuss things? This behaviour would nto be excepted on other forums I visit. Freedom of speech, unless it happens to be about our Radcliffe.

I have to agree with the lads about the vest. Why would anyone want it? Why would anyone want to win her goodie back from a race? They are fell of crap that we dont use. Who wants crappy plastic pasta stuff that never hets used?
roadrunner

Postby alf tupper » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:28 am

It's not about putting her down. It's about putting things in to perspective.
I'm impressed by Paula's performances no end, but giving away a bib as a prize - Pleeeaaaseeee!!!

She's earning MILLIONS from this sport and the best she can rustle up for a christmas competition is a load of junk worth bugger all!

Come on Paula, at least pop down to JJB and buy the winner a new pair of Nikes' !!!
alf tupper

Postby Javelin Sam » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm

whereas on thejavelincluib forum you can bid to buy a bottle of top notch whiskey signed by Mick Hill, Tessa Sanderson and Wilf Paish at his recent MBE dinner.

Current bid is £65

All money goes to helping less privilaged people make it in the sport...

Sam
Javelin Sam

Postby pegleg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:52 pm

alf tupper wrote:I'm impressed by Paula's performances no end, but giving away a bib as a prize - Pleeeaaaseeee!!!
Hmm... perhaps you should email the IAAF putting down all the very similar items they have in their online auction.

Paula has given away quite a lot of Nike gear before, but what's so original with that? Anyone with a few quid to spare can buy the same stuff in the shops. The signed bib, however, is one of a kind and is something that true athletics fans will treasure.

Javelin Sam wrote:on thejavelincluib forum you can bid to buy a bottle of top notch whiskey signed by Mick Hill, Tessa Sanderson and Wilf Paish
It's hardly Jan Zelezny's world-record javelin, is it???

Touche.
pegleg

Postby kima » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:18 pm

pegleg wrote:
alf tupper wrote:I'm impressed by Paula's performances no end, but giving away a bib as a prize - Pleeeaaaseeee!!!
Hmm... perhaps you should email the IAAF putting down all the very similar items they have in their online auction.

Paula has given away quite a lot of Nike gear before, but what's so original with that? Anyone with a few quid to spare can buy the same stuff in the shops. The signed bib, however, is one of a kind and is something that true athletics fans will treasure.

Javelin Sam wrote:on thejavelincluib forum you can bid to buy a bottle of top notch whiskey signed by Mick Hill, Tessa Sanderson and Wilf Paish
It's hardly Jan Zelezny's world-record javelin, is it???

Touche.

Well said pegleg! 8)
kima

Postby Fleeter » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:08 pm

You lot shouldn't jump to conclusions as much as you do

I never said anything about putting paula down all i said was why the hell would i want her bib or anyones bib!!

remember everyone is equal she isnt god!!
Fleeter

Postby pegleg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm

Fleeter wrote:You lot shouldn't jump to conclusions as much as you do
And you shouldn't jump to reply without reading posts properly first.

Fleeter wrote:I never said anything about putting paula down
And neither did I. Read that post again and you'll see I was talking about putting down items (which is what you did do).

Fleeter wrote:she isnt god!
No-one suggested anything of the sort! Looks as though you're the only one jumping to conclusions on here.
pegleg

Postby Fleeter » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:25 pm

I'd love to meet you pegleg you really make me laugh
Fleeter

Postby pegleg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:29 pm

Fleeter wrote:I'd love to meet you pegleg you really make me laugh
I wouldn't like to meet you.

You're a fell runner :P
pegleg

Postby Fleeter » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:47 pm

Were a great set of people really just taking the pee pegleg
Fleeter

Postby pegleg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:13 pm

Fleeter wrote:Were a great set of people really just taking the pee pegleg
That's fair enough. Everyone (myself included) enjoys a good rant every once in a while. :wink:

However, it does seem as though the few remaining fell runners of the bunch who invaded this forum a while ago always take a negative angle in their posts. That may be okay in a heavily populated, long-running forum like the FRA one, but I fear that such posts on here go along way to discouraging new people to join and post.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from. Before posting in future, just take a couple seconds to think 'if what I'm going to say is negative, does it really need to be said?'. Then this place can become a better place for EVERYONE to visit.

It is the season of goodwill afterall :wink: :)
pegleg

Postby WALDORF » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:19 pm

couldn't agree more...will you be leading by example?
WALDORF

Postby pegleg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:41 pm

broadsword wrote:couldn't agree more...will you be leading by example?
I think we should all make it our New Year's resolution :)
pegleg

Postby penguin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:04 pm

So pegleg, how many times have you entered for the bib?

be honest?

but in fairness you may view the bib as special, is it? as already stated on this thread an athlete earning millions could and can come up with much better!?!
after all, a young athlete wanting to follow in her foot steps would yern for some quality advice from her! wouldn't they..

Yes a bib is a bib, after all you can stand at the front with the very best in athletics, talk to them and get your photos with them! so what is so special with 1 bib or 1 Goody bag from London, don't forget there was 49,000 of them and a goody bag from a 5km race, there is nothing special about any of them prizes.

after all when you have done a few races one bib looks like ema all, and for the goody bags after helping to organize bigger races they all look the same to me..

..and stop slagging me friend off, it get's boring reading your dribble about what they sould do!!
in other words get a life!!!!!
thank you. :evil:
penguin

Postby roadrunner » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:09 pm

Pegleg, People are not put off joining this forum by the posts on it, but by the fact it is bloody boring. I loev the FRA forum and the banter on it is great. I get a lot of stick on it, but much of it is because i stuck my neck on the line. Many of the members know who I am and probably do think I am a plonker, but the fun it gives is great. Out of all the posts on the FRA there is a lot of sense discussed in a fun and friendly manner.

Now back to this bib. I have a few bibs in my cupboard that i think I will give away as a special prize. You will have to visit the FRA forum to be in with a chance of winning it. It even has my name on it and no I didnt stop for a poo in it!!!!
roadrunner

Postby pegleg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:57 pm

penguin wrote:So pegleg, how many times have you entered for the bib? be honest?
Just the once. If the past comps on that site are anything to go by, you're only allowed to enter once.

penguin wrote:as already stated on this thread an athlete earning millions could and can come up with much better!?! after all, a young athlete wanting to follow in her foot steps would yern for some quality advice from her! wouldn't they..
Yes, but having a competition just open to young athletes would have been a bit limiting, wouldn't it? It is a fan site after all, so it makes sense to give something away that a fan would cherish and appreciate. Besides, Paula is in regular contact with a few leading juniors and often passes on advice. Plus, there's her athlete of the month thing (which I hear is being kick-started in the New Year) where she gives away £1000 to a different junior athlete each month!!

So seeing that she gives away £1k to a young athlete each month and gives away sporting souvenirs to the fans, what do YOU suggest she should do? Surely you could come up with something better, right? (Keeping in mind that she doesn't HAVE to give away ANYTHING!)

penguin wrote:but in fairness you may view the bib as special, is it? Yes a bib is a bib, after all you can stand at the front with the very best in athletics, talk to them and get your photos with them! so what is so special with 1 bib. after all when you have done a few races one bib looks like ema all
So would you not be interested in owning, say, the spikes Roger Bannister wore when breaking the 4min mile? Or Geb's vest from his Sydney Olympic win? Or Ron Hill's mountain shoes from whatever big win of his gets you going? I'm guessing you'd have at least a passing interest in one or more of those items, as they were part of a historical sporting moment and are pieces of memorabilia that mean something to you as a fan of the sport. Surely, then, you can understand that Paula's bib – the one she wore when landing the biggest and most significant win of her career – can mean something to fans of Paula?

penguin wrote:in other words get a life!!!
Coming from someone who has nothing better to do than post derogatory posts on a message board... :roll: Yeh, great one.

roadrunner wrote:Pegleg, People are not put off joining this forum by the posts on it
Au contraire. I've spoken to many people from several different forums and almost all of them have taken one look at the posts on this forum and have turned their noses up, because they don't like the look of the crap that gets spouted from the group of miserable fell runners on here.

If banter is what you like, then p!ss off back to the FRA forum where you'll be amongst likeminded individuals. I'm sure AW wouldn't want their forum to go down a similar path.
pegleg

Postby kima » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:10 am

roadrunner wrote: It even has my name on it and no I didnt stop for a poo in it!!!!

Nice one.

You leave your crap in other places.
kima

Postby pegleg » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:11 am

Looks as though you lowlives actually plan and plot to go onto this forum to slag off athletes so as to wind people up:
http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=922

Now I knew you guys were sad, but that reaches new heights on the sad-o-meter.

You've had your fun, now go play with something else. Preferably fireworks.
pegleg

Postby roadrunner » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:40 am

pegleg wrote:I've spoken to many people from several different forums and almost all of them have taken one look at the posts on this forum and have turned their noses up, because they don't like the look of the crap that gets spouted from the group of miserable fell runners on here.

If banter is what you like, then p!ss off back to the FRA forum where you'll be amongst likeminded individuals. I'm sure AW wouldn't want their forum to go down a similar path.

So from your random questionning of others, they have told you that this forum isnt worth using? I can't believe that. In between all the rubbish you pollute it with there is some very good stuff. take the Foster review section. The people you asked probably just thought it was so boring that it wasn't worth reading.

Not too keen on the words you have used here Pegleg. I am sure Fleeter will have something to say on the issue!
roadrunner

Postby XCrunner » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:48 am

PegLeg,

That conceited young twat called Roadrunner believes his worn-out old running vests may be important historical artefacts.

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=951

I suggest you join the FRA forum, with a suitably obnoxious name, and submit over 300 posting on this thread,
each with a number from 350 to 650, and win this useless item of discarded clothing.

You could be creative and use large sizes or even spam the forum by repeating the same number over 1,000 times on each posting.

This will annoy the other FRA forum members and upset the forum administrator.

When you win the ugly singlet, you can then burn the offending item and return it in an urn to the idiot who originally owned it.

Your gift to the FRA forum may then one day turn out to be a trophy of international importance.
XCrunner

Postby Sw00p » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:07 pm

XCrunner wrote:That conceited young twat called Roadrunner

He's not that young! :lol:
Sw00p

Postby pegleg » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:34 pm

roadrunner wrote:So from your random questionning of others, they have told you that this forum isnt worth using? The people you asked probably just thought it was so boring that it wasn't worth reading.
No, their reasons for not joining was because of the invasion of fell runners and, specifically, their immature and antagonistic postings, which seemingly only fell runners find funny (must be something in the mountain water).
pegleg

Postby pegleg » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:36 pm

XCrunner wrote:I suggest you join the FRA forum, with a suitably obnoxious name, and submit over 300 posting on this thread,
each with a number from 350 to 650, and win this useless item of discarded clothing.

You could be creative and use large sizes or even spam the forum by repeating the same number over 1,000 times on each posting.

This will annoy the other FRA forum members and upset the forum administrator.

When you win the ugly singlet, you can then burn the offending item and return it in an urn to the idiot who originally owned it.

Your gift to the FRA forum may then one day turn out to be a trophy of international importance.

Err, no.
pegleg

Next

Return to Current events