Athletics Weekly

"The Ghost Runner" John Tarrant 1979

Discussions about athletics history

"The Ghost Runner" John Tarrant 1979

Postby jacklovelock » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi

Does anybody have, or know where there is, a copy of "The Ghost Runner" for sale please? It was printed in 1979 and published by Athletics Weekly, I think. I'd be very interested in getting hold of a copy.

Thanks

Cam
jacklovelock

Re: "The Ghost Runner" John Tarrant 1979

Postby SueTarrant » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi Cam

If you are still interested, there is a new book out on The Ghost Runner, (his original book is out of print and hard to get hold of). The new book is by Bill Jones, and is called The Ghost Runner - the man they could not stop, published by Mainstream and came out on 7 th July this year.

I am married to John's son, Roger, who has worked closely with the author, using Johns diaries and personal correspondance to fill in the gaps - its a good book!

Sue
SueTarrant

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:03 am

That reply from Sue Tarrant illustrates beautifuuly one of the many things that are so good about forum's such as this.
The previous poster could have searched high and low, but on here gets a reply straight from the ''horses'' mouth so to speak. Brilliant.
SteveK26

Postby cashmart35 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 am

I finished reading The Ghost Runner by Bill Jones which was released on the 7th July. The book is about John Tarrant, his life, his very very understanding wife and brother and his ups and downs from the 50s through to the early 70s. At one point he held the 100 mile world record, the 40 mile world record and won many marathons and road runs during the 60's and early 70's. His final dream was to run the Commrades in SA which he did 4 times. It is an amazing story and I can highly recomend the book to other runners. The last few pages would bring tears to a glass eye.....

ceiling fan parts
http://ceilingfansparts.net/
cashmart35

Return to Flashback