Athletics Weekly

Officials

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/forum/track/

Officials

Postby ronnie rhino » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:53 pm

I have just read Frank Horwill's in today's AW ( page 19 ).

To quote the legendary David Coleman - remarkable !

I have been officiating for the last 5 seasons as a track judge. My motivation was to put something back into the sport, and also to have the best seat ( stand ) in the house. Also to support my club primarily,
thankfully they appreciate my efforts.

I have even officiated at BMC meetings, particularly the Stretford Grand Prix series locally, where I cut my teeth. A great introduction and one I can highly recommend !

I challenge Frank to write an equally positive article next week on behalf of a much maligned species.

Going for a lie down to calm my nerves, lower the blood pressure and wait for the blood to stop boiling ...

Mike Welford
Altrincham and District
ronnie rhino

Postby frank plunkett » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:00 am

Thank God for Officials, what is the point of coaching if it cannot be properly ratified. These along with Coaches would be high on my list for first to be funded, travel expenses, outfit and equipment, further education etc, etc.

I would advocate anyone on the point of retiring early from work, to take it up, its a mind saver and a great way to travel and meet some wonderful people. :D
frank plunkett

Postby 10events » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:22 pm

Most officials are in for themselves (and god knows why?)

They get the violins out and say they give up so much to do what they do, yet what they do is normally put young athletes of with their manner and attitude.

Officials should be seen and not heard!

They should KNOW the rules and inform them as appropriate for the event/age group etc.

Most of all they should encourage participation and performances not stifle them
10events

Postby alf tupper » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:30 pm

10events wrote:Most of all they should encourage participation and performances not stifle them

I have over the years helped out at track meetings for junior age groups, and one thing I hate is seeing kids disqualified in relays. At one meeting the changeover for one team was 'probably' half a yard outside the box. (They'd slowed down to a standstill so it wasn't an advantage), I let it go and flagged it clear. Walking back to the start I pulled up the incoming runner and suggested that they might want to do a bit more practice. Some officous parent/coach for another team complained about me to the track referee! As I see it, the team didn't gain an advantage, didn't impede another team, and hopefully will stay in the sport.

Did I do right or wrong?
alf tupper

Postby zen » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:18 pm

Alf...well done!
you are absolutely right to be flexible with those who are just learning, you do not need a big hammer for such small nuts, words of advice and encouragement always win the day and keeps the youing athlete in the sport. And is always appreciated by the individuals parent which is as important.

When officiating my eyesight improves as the age groups go up, as does my expectation of the athlete.

Always remind the moaners that you do it for everyone, and if they do not like it, then let them officiate.. this usally shuts them up! 8)
zen

Postby 10events » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:10 pm

Glad to hear it!!!

Just wish Northern officials were like you guys!
10events

Postby zen » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:49 pm

I am from the north, and many of my collegues are of the same opinion!
zen

Return to Off track (Legacy Only)