Athletics Weekly

Mileage

Any non-athletics related discussion

Mileage

Postby penguin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:53 pm

i am curious as a novice to the sport how any miles a week an athlete should look at doing in terms of running and racing, my yearly mileage is moderate this year due to injury?
how many miles have you done for the year running/jogging?
penguin

Postby roadrunner » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:30 pm

up until tonights run 3054.5 miles
roadrunner

Postby penguin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:30 pm

arn't you tempted to round it off to 3100 and is that mileage up on last year's?
penguin

Postby roadrunner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:06 am

Cant tell you if that is up on last year. What I have done this year is train for two marathons. Will check when I get home if that milegae is up on last year at this time. I try work my mileage out to the nearest half mile.
roadrunner

MILES/MINUTES

Postby Max » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:45 pm

I never bother with distances any more, just time. :roll:
Over the years I've seen so many people worrying needlessly about a short or long course, about a hundred yards extra or not & how much it will affect their times. Goodness, this is meant to be fun not a strict discipline that must be measured out to the nth. degree. :shock:
Maybe this is because I do so much X/C & hills that the distance from A to B is relatively meaningless. :D

Regards,

Max. 8)
Max

Postby penguin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:10 pm

2424 running no weight!
1463 jogging with weight!

+
1867 walking!

woops put wrong figure in sos RR it should have been 1867 walking not 2867 as i listed well spotted! :D
Last edited by penguin on Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penguin

Postby roadrunner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:24 pm

You thinking of the biggest number you know angain Mr P?

Mileage this time last year was 3034.5.

So my mileage compared to last years for this week is 20 miles up. thats rather close. Especially considering I have trained for two marathons this year. I do a lot of high mileage throughout the year. I just need to do something in my training that will help me at the end of the marathon as thats the few ks I struggle with.
roadrunner

Mileage

Postby TopherTheTrack » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:55 pm

Averaging over 10 mies a day over trhat length of time is impressive.

I'm whacking 62 mpw at the mo'. I like that number as I can say 100K and I like the sound it makes.

Am aiming to incrementally heave that up to 80 this winter.

I'm only aiming for 10K and some 1500 / 3000 / 5000 on the track next year, but I think that lots of people have lost sight of the fact that to run well you need a decent base of aerobic conditioning.

I worked for years on the quality before quantity ethos with disappointing results, so I looked back 20 years to what I was doing when i was getting PB's and apart from being much younger the mileage stood out.

I also observe that as a nation we were more successful in the late 70's early 80's - a time when people where running more miles than today.

Be interested to hear your opinion on higher mileage in training, go on, what do you think??
TopherTheTrack

Postby roadrunner » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:41 pm

When I was training for my marathon I was doing high mileage and three quality sessions a week. These sessions might have been a session of 8 x 1k on the track tuesday, 45 mins tempo run thursday and 5 x 1 mile on roads on saturday. This was combined with running 5 miles every morning and a steady evening run of 10 miles mon, 15 mile wed, just one run friday and 2 - 2.5hours sunday. The miles soon mount up if you bang on a morning run.

in the summer months I tend to only run once a day and concentrate on speed. I will soon be back to running twice a day and building the maileage up.
roadrunner

Mileage

Postby TopherTheTrack » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:00 am

Was your marathon a success?
Was it a local race for local people?

What do you think of twice a day vs. once a day, in terms of fitness gained and also recovery and cumulative tiredness?
TopherTheTrack

Re: Mileage

Postby Multiterrain runner » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:19 pm

[quote="TopherTheTrack"]Was your marathon a success?
quote]

6th place in thew worlds second oldest marathon wasn't it?
Multiterrain runner

Re: Mileage

Postby roadrunner » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:25 pm

[quote="TopherTheTrack"]Was your marathon a success?
Was it a local race for local people?

What do you think of twice a day vs. once a day, in terms of fitness gained and also recovery and cumulative tiredness?[/quoteMarathon was in Kosice, Solvakia. 2hr17mins51secs. A new PB for me by over a minute but not the time I was looking for.

I think twice a day was very important for me when training for the marathon. The first few weeks are hard in that you feel tired a lot but when you get used to it you find your sessions are as good as any you did when running once a day.
roadrunner

Postby penguin » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:14 pm

roadrunner wrote:You thinking of the biggest number you know angain Mr P?

Mileage this time last year was 3034.5.

So my mileage compared to last years for this week is 20 miles up. thats rather close. Especially considering I have trained for two marathons this year. I do a lot of high mileage throughout the year. I just need to do something in my training that will help me at the end of the marathon as thats the few ks I struggle with.

i know you mention you doing a fair bit of swimming do you do dtrength work still, if not you would proberbly find a little will help you!
penguin

Postby roadrunner » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:46 pm

I often swim. Just need to do a few more weights I think. I think I have been missing them for the last year. I havent been in the gym for ages, just tend to go swimming.
roadrunner

Return to Off track