-Tennis
-Triathlon
-Swimming
-Cycling (road and track)
-Volleyball
-Gymnastics
-Badminton
-Sailing

But I'm happy to watch anything :) Apart from rhythmic gymnastics and synchronised swimming!
nevetssllim

Postby Javelin Sam » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:07 pm

athletics none of the jogging

erm...

that's all the time i have.. i have coaching and a job to do you know!!!
Javelin Sam

Postby Kermit » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Well on Day 1 I watched Women's Football, Day 2 Men's Football (Brazil was dire only beating 9-man Belgium 1-0, but Argentina v Ivory Coast was a good game), Day 3 Opening Ceremony ( I wouldn't want to be running 400m round the walls of the upper tier of the stadium holding that torch, what would of happened if the wind changed direction? guess the man would have to change his name to "singe ma hair")

One of my daughters is a gymnastics addict, another is into football and my son & I will watch as much as we possibly can
Kermit

Re: Which Olympic sports do you watch?

Postby ronnycane » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:51 am

I watch Gymnastics and Badminton. I love both game very much. In weekend time i play Badminton.
ronnycane

Postby d pickup » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:57 pm

athletics, rowing, weightlifting, wrestling, a little bit of swimming
d pickup

Postby taffy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:23 pm

I watch any of them.

I always watch , swimming , Rowing , Cycling, Gymnastics if its on tV.

I can't wait to see how our swimmers rate against tyhe global giants this week. i am predicting quite a few medals from swimming in 2012. They have a great mentality now , thanks to the sweetman years. Our women are particularly good.

When Redgrave did that potential olympian project a few years back, which has paid dividends by getting new olympians, why did they stop? surely there would have been youngsters ineligible then wou would be of age down the line?
taffy

Postby SteveK26 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 am

Athletics (surprise surprise!!)
Swimming (big fan)
Rowing
Cycling
Triathlon
Equestrian
Gymnastics
Anything else GB is good at!!

Dont like:
Football
Tennis
(dont think they should have a place in the Olympics)
SteveK26

Postby d pickup » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:01 am

SteveK26

Good to see your choices etc.

I didn't say above in my entry but I also watch a bit of road cycling (& the Tour de France recently - great commentators too - and oh the mountains!).

- Swimming: I follow too, the results, but only watch a little; so much humaness is lost in the water for one to enjoy watching. Do you see re swimming WRs:
-- M 17 of 20 events set in '09; 2 in '08, 1500 '01
-- W 17 of 20 events set in '09; 2 in '08, 1500 '07
ie none '10 - new swimsuit rule
Now 28 jul 11 1st WR m 200 med Lochte USA

- Equestrian: hmmm; one for the rich I feel; I'd cut it from the Olympics.

- GBR: yes I'm pleased if GBR get gold/medals including equestrian of course.

I get tense with tennis, and that great game of football is sadly a thugs scene these days.

I use to be involved with one of the gymnastic disciplines but most of gymnastics I find intellectually overwhelming, and aren't things like pommel horse, symmetrical bars, rings and high bar odd left overs from the C19th, while the women's uneven bars & balance beam are contrived repeats of the vault and floor respectively. Gymnastics has created new C20th disciplines so should drop the archaic ones and move on.

I'd eliminate boxing (so many safety aspects now but its aim is not sport but hitting another human until they cave), the big expensive sailing boat events (for the rich), beach volleyball (go to any beach for that) and BMX (great for the enthusiasts and all power to them, but really, go and play in the hills).

I wonder whether the professional circuit of some sports is so media-powerful (ie basketball, road cycling, football, tennis) that they should not be in the Olympics.

There is the converse: some sports will perhaps never be media-exciting because of their nature, even if wonderful for the participants and few followers (eg archery, fencing, shooting ... for instance), so should the Olympic movement, bursting at the seams, include minority sports (I don't have figures and perhaps somebody will shout out that archery has 1B participants round the world ...). I wonder how many saw each of the sports in previous Olympics and how many will see them in London (of course bikini beach volleyball will get good numbers!).

London will be burdened with 26 sports and 38 disciplines. Which individuals and communities, in the long run, in London, in GBR, will benefit from having hosted the '12 event? Yet so many cities crave to have and organise this monster of a celebration ... Well London has already given Boris J a chance to be the baffoon.

1896: 43 events, 9 sports, 241 athletes, 12-14 countries.

2012: 302 events, 26 sports, 10,500 athletes, 204 countries. (estimates)

We have winter OLY. Should there be a split in the Summer OLY:
- sports essentially indoors - 12
- sports essentially outdoors - 14

Anyway meanwhile roll on the GBR Trials this weekend and Daegu.
d pickup

Postby d pickup » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:03 am

Swimming, after 18 months of no WRs, with the new swimsuit ruling, had 2 WRs at the recent World Champs, including the breaking of the oldest WR, that of Hackett's 1500 of 2001:
m 200m 1.54.00 Lotche USA 28 07 11
m 1500 14 34 14 Yang CHN 31 07 11
d pickup

Postby PJS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:35 pm

I can not wait for London 2012 - I will spend 2 weeks glued to multiple TV screens...I failed to get any tickets - but never mind.

In terms of sports ( and because I have too much time on my hands ) - Alphabetically (Part 1)

Archery - taking place at Lord's which should be interesting. I predict Team GB might get one medal but its not one of my highlights.
Badminton - I have really enjoyed playing this in the past and so have a soft spot. Recent mixed doubles pairing beat World number 1 however Team GB likely to miss out on medals.
Basketball - I think there is a strong argument against its inclusion. Team GB unlikely to medal.
Beach Volleyball - Just daft to include it but am strangely drawn to watch the ladies ;)
Boxing - Looking forward to this. Team GB could have its best return ever and I going out on a limb and predict 4 medals and one of the stars of the Olympics Anthony Joshua
Canoe Slalom - What a lovely arena they have built but failed to get tickets. Team GB would be very disappointed not to get two medals.
Canoe Sprint - in years gone by I would have passed on this... but Team GB have put a lot of effort into talent ID and results have been very encouraging. I predict 3 medals.
Cycling - love it! Dam the authorities who restricted the track programme to 1 competitor per nation - a real attempt to stifle Team GB's dominance. No matter I predict 3 golds in the velodrome. I also expect 2 or 3 medals from the road and other disciplines.
Diving - sorry, not interested and dont understand the BBC's fixation with young Daley.
Equestrian - again, not very keen but have followed Team GB results and it looks set to be a very good return of medals.
Fencing - I acknowledge that there is a correlation between my interest and how well Team GB are likely to do in some of the minor sports. Here team GB will struggle and so I struggle to find enthusiasm, but wish our competitors well.
Football - I dont think it belongs in the Olympics... but I am still trying to predict the Team GB squad.
Gymnastics - Again, not keen. Its something about a sport that relies on marks from judges that makes me question it. However, Team GB may get a medal.
Handball - looking forward to this. I think it will be one of the surprise stars of the Olympics and Team GB will make good account of themselves considering they have never been represented before.
PJS

Postby PJS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Part 2

Hockey - will pay some attention to Team GB results but think we are going to miss out on the men's event but might get a medal in the ladies.
Judo - having practised martial arts I enjoy the whole spectacle of this. Would be great if Team GB can turn around what has been a disappointing run in the Olympics...Where is Brian Jacks these days!
Modern Pentathlon - Team GB, especially the Women's event, could do very well.
Rowing - Love it! This really could be the most exciting event ever in the history of Team GB at a regatta...please, please let Kathrine Grainger win a gold... A return of 5 golds would not be unthinkable.
Sailing - an event I find benefits from highlights but Team GB will dominate - I am hoping for 4 golds.
Shooting - one gets the impression no one (Seb Coe, TV companies) likes shooting apart from the Shooting fraternity..Team GB to get 2 medals but it still wont make them popular.
Swimming - In my top 5 events. Team GB could have its best Olympic Gala in the modern era, particularly the women's events but it is so competitive the margins for victory so slight. Fran Halsall to finally get wider recognition and Jemma Lowe to win 200 Butterfly.
Table Tennis - improved by game exponentially when in China for 6 months...but Team GB no chance.
Taekwondo - If you dont know Sarah Stevenson's story ...please research...before all the hyperbola I wish her all the success possible.
Tennis - another sport I would choose not to participate in the Olympics.
Triathalon - Two brothers representing team GB which one will be on top of the podium.
Volleyball - a great team sport but unlikely Team GB will medal
W - waterpolo,weightlifting,wrestling... must be something about sports beggining with "W" but no medals and no interest :)

wow...I feel so much better to have put my views on record...

cheers
PJS

Postby PJS » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:33 pm

PJS wrote:I can not wait for London 2012 - I will spend 2 weeks glued to multiple TV screens...I failed to get any tickets - but never mind.

In terms of sports ( and because I have too much time on my hands ) - Alphabetically (Part 1)

Archery - taking place at Lord's which should be interesting. I predict Team GB might get one medal but its not one of my highlights.
Badminton - I have really enjoyed playing this in the past and so have a soft spot. Recent mixed doubles pairing beat World number 1 however Team GB likely to miss out on medals.
Basketball - I think there is a strong argument against its inclusion. Team GB unlikely to medal.
Beach Volleyball - Just daft to include it but am strangely drawn to watch the ladies ;)
Boxing - Looking forward to this. Team GB could have its best return ever and I going out on a limb and predict 4 medals and one of the stars of the Olympics Anthony Joshua
Canoe Slalom - What a lovely arena they have built but failed to get tickets. Team GB would be very disappointed not to get two medals.
Canoe Sprint - in years gone by I would have passed on this... but Team GB have put a lot of effort into talent ID and results have been very encouraging. I predict 3 medals.
Cycling - love it! Dam the authorities who restricted the track programme to 1 competitor per nation - a real attempt to stifle Team GB's dominance. No matter I predict 3 golds in the velodrome. I also expect 2 or 3 medals from the road and other disciplines.
Diving - sorry, not interested and dont understand the BBC's fixation with young Daley.
Equestrian - again, not very keen but have followed Team GB results and it looks set to be a very good return of medals.
Fencing - I acknowledge that there is a correlation between my interest and how well Team GB are likely to do in some of the minor sports. Here team GB will struggle and so I struggle to find enthusiasm, but wish our competitors well.
Football - I dont think it belongs in the Olympics... but I am still trying to predict the Team GB squad.
Gymnastics - Again, not keen. Its something about a sport that relies on marks from judges that makes me question it. However, Team GB may get a medal.
Handball - looking forward to this. I think it will be one of the surprise stars of the Olympics and Team GB will make good account of themselves considering they have never been represented before.

To follow up my own predications...

Archery - I think the idea of having archery at Lords worked well and a link up between archery clubs and some other county cricket grounds might bring the sport to a wider participatory base and give cricket clubs a little extra revenue if they run regular competitions... However, overall a C+ if it was a school report

Badminton - Team GB never looked like challenging... I love playing the game but to engage a wide youth following it needs an elite level to inspire... C-

Basketball - Team GB should have done better... I was thinking of a radical link up with volleyball and handball - to share the back of office resources, spread the cost of the team of medical support required...have a much more pro active talent identification policy between the three sports - which share much in terms of player physiology - but is there a deeper issue around team sports in the UK... have we lost the hunger to drive us to greater heights, are all the big guys taken up in Rugby etc etc... C-

Boxing - fabulous ... I hope they get increased funding a drive on from here...and I got my prediction correct :) A+

Canoe slalom/sprint... There is so much scope to do well in the Canoe sprint... its a technical event not too dissimilar from rowing (and we know how this has been turned around) So I think the future could be very bright with, again, a very pro active Talent ID scheme. A great facility in Lea Valley will make a positive legacy . B+

Cycling - what an amazing year for British Cycling - and I am sure they will not get complacent... I have just sent off an idea to London Cycling campaign as well... but A+

Diving - hmmm... C-

Equestrian - loved the music of our winner in the dressage and the location was stunning, but watch for incoming moans about damage ... A-

Fencing - I watched - on TV - the team GB vs Italians ( in foil maybe?) for a while and they made a great account of themselves... I am not an expert - just a sport's fan - and we did have this at my school (30 years ago) but only very few people had a go... maybe they need to sell it better to the Pirates of the Caribbean generation... C

Football - I was left speechless about Gareth Bale being announced unfit but appearing in a friendly in the States... I think it shows the contempt football has for other sports... its time all you fans switched from this self-obsessed, arrogant, over paid, mediocrity and found a new allegiance to one of the Olympic sports... I ask you, while athletes from all parts of the UK & NI were proudly representing Team GB - certain FAs were making life very uncomfortable for their own young players. I wish we had more like Stuart Pearce though... E minus

Handball - I got to watch 5 mins of the women's game between Team GB and Montenegro - the atmosphere was great ...I am sure we could do something special with this sport...memo to England Handball sent... C

More to follow
PJS

Postby PJS » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:08 pm

PJS wrote:Part 2

Hockey - will pay some attention to Team GB results but think we are going to miss out on the men's event but might get a medal in the ladies.
Judo - having practised martial arts I enjoy the whole spectacle of this. Would be great if Team GB can turn around what has been a disappointing run in the Olympics...Where is Brian Jacks these days!
Modern Pentathlon - Team GB, especially the Women's event, could do very well.
Rowing - Love it! This really could be the most exciting event ever in the history of Team GB at a regatta...please, please let Kathrine Grainger win a gold... A return of 5 golds would not be unthinkable.
Sailing - an event I find benefits from highlights but Team GB will dominate - I am hoping for 4 golds.
Shooting - one gets the impression no one (Seb Coe, TV companies) likes shooting apart from the Shooting fraternity..Team GB to get 2 medals but it still wont make them popular.
Swimming - In my top 5 events. Team GB could have its best Olympic Gala in the modern era, particularly the women's events but it is so competitive the margins for victory so slight. Fran Halsall to finally get wider recognition and Jemma Lowe to win 200 Butterfly.
Table Tennis - improved by game exponentially when in China for 6 months...but Team GB no chance.
Taekwondo - If you dont know Sarah Stevenson's story ...please research...before all the hyperbola I wish her all the success possible.
Tennis - another sport I would choose not to participate in the Olympics.
Triathalon - Two brothers representing team GB which one will be on top of the podium.
Volleyball - a great team sport but unlikely Team GB will medal
W - waterpolo,weightlifting,wrestling... must be something about sports beggining with "W" but no medals and no interest :)

wow...I feel so much better to have put my views on record...

cheers

Hockey - In my Games Maker role I was often near to the Riverbank Arena where the hockey was played and I have to say I have never heard such a fun atmosphere at a sports match... the fanfare playing various stirring tunes from the sing-a-long-at-sports greatest hits was infectious... I will make it be business to go and see a team GB game in the future. the teams did well B+

Judo - it had my favourite moment from the games... Gemma Gibbons looked down and out in an early round against a Mongolian ... Ms. Gibbons had lead to the very last minute of the contest when the Mongolian got an equivalent score. Ms. gibbons looked down and out - gasping for breath, but found something deep, deep down and with seconds left to go, made the decisive score...Amazing... i cycled off the work to find she had made it to the final! the men should take note B-

Modern Pentathlon - Again the girls showed the way ... B-

Rowing... and again! Well, not entirely without some medals from the men but what a regatta!! the Eton roar must have been incredible to witness first hand and i want far off with my prediction ... A+

Sailing - considering they must have sailed the course numerous times... I dont understand why we only got one gold... B+ really should have been better

Shooting - Ifteam GB is serious about Rio in terms of shooting - then cant we enter SAS marksmen in every event? Pretty colour from the double trap as it exploded :) C+

Swimming - I think I read only two PBs were achieved - some very serious question need to be asked...a very large team with some very plausible medal chances ... all failed... C-

Table Tennis - I worked in china for 6 months... was taken to a sports hall where all the young kids were doing thousands of repartitions of single shot... we stand no chance ever!! C

Taekwondo - Felt for Sarah Stevenson... but what a star they have found in Jade Jones - B+

Tennis - if noting else this might give Andy Murray the belief he can win a grand slam - B+

Triatholon - Well done lads... A-

Volleyball - See my suggestion of linking up with Handball and Basket ball C-

waterpolo,weightlifting,wrestling - as expected... C

I feel much better now....
PJS

Postby koifish66 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:00 pm

Swimming, Gymnastics and Athletics!!! :mrgreen:
koifish66

Return to Off track