Athletics Weekly

AW Official London 2012 thread

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

AW Official London 2012 thread

Postby mump boy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am

Just in case Jon isn't able to open up a whole new board, let's confine general Olympic chat to here.

Then next week i'll open up a thread for each event

If Jon is able to open up another board then this can all be moved

Let the Games Begin :D
mump boy

Re: AW Official London 2012 thread

Postby Geoff » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:14 am

Christophe Lemaitre will not run the 100m. Instead he will concentrate on the 200m and 4x100m. With the three per country rule and the inevitable injuries/poor runs it is just about possible for a Brit to make the final in the 100m. A shade outside 10 flat could do it.
Geoff

Postby mump boy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:33 am

Geoff wrote:Christophe Lemaitre will not run the 100m. Instead he will concentrate on the 200m and 4x100m. With the three per country rule and the inevitable injuries/poor runs it is just about possible for a Brit to make the final in the 100m. A shade outside 10 flat could do it.

Lots of things are possible

3 JAM
3 USA
3 TRI
1 CAY
1 STK

are all that stands between Adam Gemil and the final on times, although he has proved himself as a big time competitor this year i talk of finals is taking it a little too far right now
mump boy

Postby bevone » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:40 pm

I see that the archery prelims started today and already has caused problems along with the wrong flag for N Korea in the football. Only a hundred or so spectators arrived (from all over the world), but jobs worth's said they could not watch as they were un-ticketed. How difficult could it have been to let them in? There are spectators areas there already and it shows no good will for something that would have not required much to put right. Only a small issue but that is two already, plus the several issue about strikes and lack of security leading up to now which have now been resolved. We can run a great games - i just hope it isn't blemished by continuing small things that leads to big things.
bevone

Postby ldnbloke » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:13 pm

mump boy wrote:
Geoff wrote:Christophe Lemaitre will not run the 100m. Instead he will concentrate on the 200m and 4x100m. With the three per country rule and the inevitable injuries/poor runs it is just about possible for a Brit to make the final in the 100m. A shade outside 10 flat could do it.

Lots of things are possible

3 JAM
3 USA
3 TRI
1 CAY
1 STK

are all that stands between Adam Gemil and the final on times, although he has proved himself as a big time competitor this year i talk of finals is taking it a little too far right now

Don't forget that about 1-3 of the TRI athletes usually run 9.9 in the Americas and 10.2-10.4 in major meets. Hyman of CAY may follow suit. Gemili in Barcelona shape ( body and mind ) might easily make the final, but keys not forget that you get your semifinal draw based on your placement and time in the heats, so those who play tactically might find themselves in a very difficult semi with the 3x2 format.
ldnbloke

Postby ldnbloke » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Lemaitre would be an easy bet for the 100 final as he performs at champs, but I can see their reasoning. In the 200 he would theoretically have Bolt and Blake with Spearmon to deal with plus his European rivals Saidy and Martina, who might be tired if they progress well in the 100 ( though if I were Martina's coach I might run him in the 200 and the relay only).
ldnbloke

Postby Tracker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:41 pm

bevone wrote:I see that the archery prelims started today and already has caused problems along with the wrong flag for N Korea in the football. Only a hundred or so spectators arrived (from all over the world), but jobs worth's said they could not watch as they were un-ticketed. How difficult could it have been to let them in? There are spectators areas there already and it shows no good will for something that would have not required much to put right. Only a small issue but that is two already, plus the several issue about strikes and lack of security leading up to now which have now been resolved. We can run a great games - i just hope it isn't blemished by continuing small things that leads to big things.

The issues at the archery was entirely the fault of the 'spectators' and nobody elses. They are clearly either inept, ignorant or made an honest mistake and tried to blame the LOCOG etc. The event was billed on the official website as 'unticketed' and it was also made clear on the London 2012 website that this mean't the event was closed to the public. It is a small mistake, not by the London games organisers but by those unfortunate few who attempted to attend the event, no doubt in my mind. The mix-up occured when OTHER unofficial websites claimed that the event was free entry....Now how is that in any way the fault of the organisers? You'd think people travelling to see the archery rankings competition from all corners of the planet would be extremely big fans and would have checked the OFFICIAL website which would have told them not to come.....Just my opinion :D
Tracker

Postby iain » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 pm

TBF 'unticketed' does normally mean free entry.
iain

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:36 pm

It hasn't even stared yet and I'm already fed up with people jumping on every minor mistake and making out it's a disaster but I have sympathy for the people turning up at the Archery.

'Unticketed' would suggest that tickets weren't needed rather than tickets weren't available.
Flumpy

Postby Tracker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:00 pm

iain wrote:TBF 'unticketed' does normally mean free entry.

While doing my English A-level recently I would have to learn the definition of words and as far as I can remember unticketed means that tickets have/will not be issued....That does not mean the event is free, just that their are no tickets to be purchased. It was made clear the event was closed to the public, hence only a few hundred people turning up to a FREE event when most of the cost days at Lords are sold out. Just seems logical to me that this is a simple mistake by the very few who attempted to watch the action. Maybe it is a simple issue of people not understanding the meaning of the English language. :shock: :idea:
Tracker

Postby djlovesyou » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah, I think it's one of those instances when people really have to take responsibility for their own mistakes. Maybe it was a little bit ambiguous, but it certainly wasn't advertised as a free-event.

You can't always blame the powers that be for every single thing that goes wrong in your life.
djlovesyou

Postby MBChristie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Those looking for entry lists (although a few reserves might come in, and others already out) can be found here:

http://www.london2012.com/athletics/athletes/
MBChristie

Postby trevorp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Tracker wrote: Maybe it is a simple issue of people not understanding the meaning of the English language. :shock: :idea:

That's rich considering the howlers in your post.
trevorp

Postby Tracker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:37 pm

trevorp wrote:
Tracker wrote: Maybe it is a simple issue of people not understanding the meaning of the English language. :shock: :idea:

That's rich considering the howlers in your post.

Haha I have just noticed them. The comment was sarcasm anyway but still, well done to you. Also does my bad spelling/punctuation mean I do not understand the language? or Is it just that I have dyslexia? Understanding the language is not all about how well you can prove you interpret the language on paper :)
I do notice mistakes I make but not generally until I have gone over it a million times.
Tracker

Postby SteveK26 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:46 pm

All of this debate, of course, begs the question....why was this session of archery 'un-ticketed' ?
SteveK26

Postby mump boy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:36 am

First morning and given up on BBC already, totally schizo coverage, no contact to anything and as usual TOO MUCH CHAT :x
mump boy

Postby Rapunzel1975 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:57 am

mump boy wrote:First morning and given up on BBC already, totally schizo coverage, no contact to anything and as usual TOO MUCH CHAT :x

I didn't bother with main channels, I'm surfing the Sky BBC channels. Commentary without punditry. 8)
Rapunzel1975

Postby trickstat » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Entry lists are now on IAAF website:

http://www.iaaf.org/Mini/OLY12/News/New ... x?id=66181
trickstat

Postby Ursus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Very impressed with Zoe Smith. Huge potential and a real credit to her sport and parents. :D
Ursus

Postby Kermit » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:29 am

I was also impressed with Zoe Smith. I believe the UK champs had 600 people watching live, yesterday it was 6,000. When she had her first foul in the snatch the camera caught her with a vexed look that I thought only my youngest daughter gives, but she got the British record and some valuable experience.

It was great watching Zara Phillips finally follow in her parent's footsteps and winning a medal.

I also have to congratulate LOCOG and Wembley Stadium Ltd on allowing up to 30,00 people to pay at the door for the largest crowd at a women's football match in this country, one of the largest in the world. Over 70,000 watched the first ever women's football match at the stadium

As far as our sport is concerned I believe that the stand out event is the women 100m hurdles. There are some big names who didn't qualify and others who were expected to win their national titles just making it to London by the skin of their teeth. Since then scalps have been taken making London very unpredictable, more so than the mens 110m hurdles or the 100m.
Kermit

Postby jeremy1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:15 am

have not watched one second of my main TV BBC Channels . Have not needed to do so; watched just sport on the additional channels on line ; all the swimming; loved the drama of the weighting; plus volleyball and of course the Rowing; no BBC bull interviews and talking heads. Great , just the sport.
And my wife loves the fact that I am not commandering the TV in the living rooom.

Will I be able to avoid CJ and all the babbling BBC people?

The Brit support at Eton Dorney has been amazing.

Some press comments said a long time ago that many British competitors may well find that competing at a home Games would not inspire athletes to great performances and PBs, but could create pressures that crushed athletes rather than inspired .
That has certainly happened with our best women in the swimming pool, except Adlington; and most of our men were way down on their best also.

Lets hope that a medal is achieved by Jamieson or Willis tonight.
jeremy1

Postby jjimbojames » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 am

jeremy1 wrote:have not watched one second of my main TV BBC Channels . Have not needed to do so; watched just sport on the additional channels on line ; all the swimming; loved the drama of the weighting; plus volleyball and of course the Rowing; no BBC bull interviews and talking heads. Great , just the sport.
And my wife loves the fact that I am not commandering the TV in the living rooom.

Will I be able to avoid CJ and all the babbling BBC people?

The Brit support at Eton Dorney has been amazing.

Some press comments said a long time ago that many British competitors may well find that competing at a home Games would not inspire athletes to great performances and PBs, but could create pressures that crushed athletes rather than inspired .
That has certainly happened with our best women in the swimming pool, except Adlington; and most of our men were way down on their best also.

Is it me, or have you already typed most of the above about our swimmers failing and how you're not watching the BBC channels in the 'BBC thread'? :?
jjimbojames

Postby jjimbojames » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Great to get the first Gold Medal out of the way - strange it's the first time British female rowers have ever won one

Felt crushed for the men's eight - even Redgrave was emotional. I know they lost out on a silver, but I can see their logic
jjimbojames

Postby sidelined » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:23 pm

jjimbojames wrote:Great to get the first Gold Medal out of the way - strange it's the first time British female rowers have ever won one

Felt crushed for the men's eight - even Redgrave was emotional. I know they lost out on a silver, but I can see their logic

Seems like strange tactics to me: give everything in the first 1500 and hope the crowd carries them through to the end - that's what the cox was quoted as saying. Wouldn't saving something for the end be better? (It's great being an armchair pundit when you know virtually nothing about the sport in question.) Their effort was heartbreaking, though.
sidelined

Postby Kermit » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Arise Sir Bradley "Wiggo" Wiggins, BBC Sports Personality of the year 2012 :D
Kermit

Postby bevone » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Interesting outcomes from the different sports. Judo are blaming lack of commitment of the athletes who have not been prepared to move to Dartford as a one centre fits all - and others campaign about doing degree work etc - but till taking £28k funding. They have has 8million pounds, badminton 11 million!Badminton is critical of its performance staff and centralisation and other sports are looking at the centralisation model as the one size fits all. I think centralisation can work for some sports but not suitable for others. I don't for example think putting all of our best sprinters in two centres is the answer but what has happened now is now is not the answer where there are about 5 groups at 4 locations. The main problem with UKA is the same as Judo and Badminton are saying - many of the athletes are not happy with transparency within the sport and decisions made and also the coaching /support staff appointments are not always welcome and are pre appointed and there is unrest/unease with the leadership from coaching - performance -development to CEO. The current debacle with Philllips should have been sorted out long ago - professionally! It makes the PD look like a fool and a poor leader. When coaches develop big egos in a sport which is individual, thus, by definition dependent on ego, you can only expect a collision.

Otherwise GB looks to be doing well but the 19 golds and 49 medals over all looks like a long shot - however, many of the medals come next week - starting with this weekend!
bevone

Postby jeremy1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Always considered Beijing medal haul a one off and many there in 2008 escaped the febrile pressures here at home.

Clear already that many British Olmpians have not been able to handle the pressures, especially our women swimmers who are way down on reasonable expectations based on the 2012 ranking lists... Gandy, Miley,etc and nearly all of our swimmers are underperforming , with one glorious exception.. Jamieson, smashing asunder the Brit record and and improving onto a different level. Thats what wins medals.

Never thought for one minute that GB would equal their amazing Being haul, with 12 cycling medals!!.

I reckoned a year ago, and still do, that we will get a maximum of 14 Golds and round about 30/35 medals.
jeremy1

Postby jeremy1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 pm

The Start lists for Friday are up but a howler is evident .. a further heat in the womens Heptathlon does not appear with the top women in the first event... should be heat 5. Can't see it.
jeremy1

Postby MysteryBrick » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:22 pm

jeremy1 wrote:Never thought for one minute that GB would equal their amazing Being haul, with 12 cycling medals!!.

I don't think anyone did, what with there being 10 track cycling events now, each with only one GB entrant...

Can still see at least 4 golds coming, via both pursuits, women's omnium and one of the six sprint events.
MysteryBrick

Postby trickstat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 pm

jeremy1 wrote:The Start lists for Friday are up but a howler is evident .. a further heat in the womens Heptathlon does not appear with the top women in the first event... should be heat 5. Can't see it.

It's there now.
trickstat

Next

Return to Current events