Athletics Weekly

Injury Concerns for GB Athletes

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... nt-events/

Injury Concerns for GB Athletes

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Marathon runner Dave Webb is out of the Olympics with a stress fracture. It must be tough to have to pull out at this stage and, sadly, I suspect we will get one or two more.

Heartbreak for Webb as marathon runner is forced to withdraw from Olympics

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympi ... z21eq3nxvH
Last edited by Geoff on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff

Re: First GB Athlete out Through Injury

Postby sidelined » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Apparently Goldie Sayers has torn a ligament in her right elbow, but is responding well to treatment. Oh no...
sidelined

Postby SteveK26 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Goldie, !!!
How, for f*cks sake? She should be resting and tapering now, not in heavy weights mode!!!!!
SteveK26

Postby Mr Me » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 pm

How, for f*cks sake? She should be resting and tapering now, not in heavy weights mode!!!!!

Apparently the injury accured during her last throw at crystal palace.
Mr Me

Postby ultragirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:25 pm

This is real bad news for Goldie, i had her down for a bronze medal at least, lets hope a cortisone injection gets her safely through the games.
ultragirl

Re: Injury Concerns for GB Athletes

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 pm

London 2012 Olympics: Paula Radcliffe's marathon chances no more than 50/50, says UK Athletics coach
The chances of marathon world record-holder Paula Radcliffe making it to the Olympic start-line have been rated no higher than a “flip of a coin” by UK Athletics coach Charles van Commenee following a recent flare-up of osteoarthritis in her left foot.

.....Javelin thrower Goldie Sayers, who put herself into medal contention by defeating the Olympic champion and smashing her own UK record at Crystal Palace this month, is battling to recover from a torn ligament in her right elbow.

Sayers, who sustained the injury in her final throw at Crystal Palace, was unable to touch her own head a few days ago but has responded well to treatment at the UK Athletics preparation camp in Portugal and is confident that she will be fit enough to compete in London.

Another injury worry is hurdler Andy Pozzi, who has been struggling with a hamstring problem but is also said to be improving.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... coach.html
Geoff

Postby sidelined » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Add to that list Mara Yamauchi, who has a foot problem:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... CMP=twt_gu

How many more, for goodness' sake? Enough!
sidelined

Postby SteveK26 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Goldie's post C/Palace interview gave no hint of a problem. Quite the reverse, she was all smiles.

Shame for Pozzi; you cannot get through an explosive event like his carrying a hamstring problem. Hope he pulls out rather than make things worse. Goldie , on the other hand , might as well go for it....doubt whether she'll be in contention for a medal in 4 years time.
This is a bad start.
SteveK26

Postby Ursus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:34 pm

Yikes.

Elbow damage is an occupational hazard for spear chuckers, especially for technically poor ones like I was. Goldie on the other hand is a top drawer technician, and my heart goes out to her if it's bad. How cruel if she suffered it on the day when she was in the form of her life. :(

Still at least our male representative is fit and competing regularly.....
Ursus

Postby iain » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:26 am

I will be shocked if Paula is not on that start line. I don't know if she'll finish, but I expect her to line up. I hope she can at least give a decent account of herself. Goldie sounds like she should be Ok, and the other two injuries were only mentioned in passing which is (hopefully!) positive.
iain

Postby SteveK26 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:31 am

Ursus wrote:Yikes.

That comes as little consolation. Merv's expectations would be to scrape into the final, (and he'll do very well if he does), Goldie had/has high hopes of a medal.
I hope it comes right for her. I find it extraordinary that this happened at the Palace, she couldn't keep the smile off her face in the interview. And within hours she cannot touch her head?.........
SteveK26

Postby jeremy1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:20 am

Whats all this talk of injuries?

We are constantly told on this Forum that the British team has no more injuries than anyone else , especially with all UKAs medical back up, so expert apparently that one of our medal hopes wont touch them right now.
jeremy1

Postby ultragirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:47 am

I had a bet on Goldie as well :oops: I hope P.I is really ok and not just looking to get into the olympics then pulling out.
ultragirl

Postby fangio » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:54 am

Really Jeremy, do you actually know how many ahtletes from other nations are injured prior to the games, and how many are competing injured?

How about Sweden, as far as I can tell only 10 atheltes reached the qualification standards, and the best known Cluft and Olsson are both out injured. Don't know if their remaining athletes are injury free. Do you?
fangio

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 am

This seems like far fewer injuries than usual. Most years we have a few big names out completely and the they start dropping like flies coming up to the champs. There have been hardly any this year in comparison.
Flumpy

Postby javman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:46 am

Goldies injury is not as bad as many think - she is throwing out in portugal so it cant be that bad!!
javman

Postby SteveK26 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:58 am

javman wrote:Goldies injury is not as bad as many think - she is throwing out in portugal so it cant be that bad!!

Perhaps she should stop throwing, out there in Portugal !!
SteveK26

Postby ultragirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:41 am

Dead right steve, she is good enough to rest it until the day of the competition, because another early low arm will b*gger her elbow up and cost her a medal opportunity.
ultragirl

Postby MysteryBrick » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Can we potentially make the massive assumption that the professional athlete out in Portugal, with her professional coaches, knows what she's doing? I mean, they're obviously not as well informed or in possession of the expertise of pundits on the AW forum, but I don't think Dan Pfaff would let someone train unless he thought it was the right idea...
MysteryBrick

Postby javman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Mystery brick spot on - Goldie is mature enough to know what she is doing. Dan is knowledgable enough to know when she shouldnt throw. Enough said on that me thinks!
javman

Postby ultragirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Time will tell, Goldie was all set to wait for the olympics a short rest at this stage of her Olympic Programme would make little difference, it could actually benefit her overall, of course there is plenty of other things she could be working on with out exposing her arm to any undue stresses and strains. I am under no illusion that posters on this forum rank from armchair pundits to international coaches of top quality :wink:
ultragirl

Postby jeremy1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Only one usa athlete has so far withdrawn through injury, Rodgers, and a possible problem exists with Wheating; no other known injuries and their team is a lot bigger than ours. Very few athletes in other teams already selected are known to be injured and we have two so called potential medallists in trouble plus they tell us Pozzi.plus Radcliffe.

We always have had for decades a higher percentage of walking wounded than most other countries; if some dont want to hear it...tough
jeremy1

Postby SteveK26 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:48 pm

Jeremy
Its not just about who withdraws from a team , due to a late injury. Its also about who got injured and couldn't make the team in the first place.
SteveK26

Postby SteveK26 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:53 pm

MysteryBrick wrote:Can we potentially make the massive assumption that the professional athlete out in Portugal, with her professional coaches, knows what she's doing? I mean, they're obviously not as well informed or in possession of the expertise of pundits on the AW forum, but I don't think Dan Pfaff would let someone train unless he thought it was the right idea...

My post was merely a tongue in cheek remark , supposed to only to reflect concern for Goldie.
I am sure her team know what they are doing better than I do. :)
...You can climb down off that high horse now.....
SteveK26

Postby Ursus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:17 pm

SteveK26 wrote:
Ursus wrote:Yikes.

That comes as little consolation. Merv's expectations would be to scrape into the final, (and he'll do very well if he does), Goldie had/has high hopes of a medal.
I hope it comes right for her. I find it extraordinary that this happened at the Palace, she couldn't keep the smile off her face in the interview. And within hours she cannot touch her head?.........

Clearly need to work on my facetiousness as Merv has been injured and hasn't thrown since 10th June....

If he does compete, a final would be over performing based on his previous. Goldie of course is in a different legaue, but would probably have to break her British record again to get a medal.
Ursus

Postby Kermit » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:34 am

ultragirl wrote:This is real bad news for Goldie, i had her down for a bronze medal at least, lets hope a cortisone injection gets her safely through the games.

UKA's favourite championship friend! And people wonder why Phillips is not out in Portugal. How many injections did they give Andy Turner in the season where he wasn't funded? 30 - 35 while in the holding camp! He lasted 4 hurdles and still has problems to this very day.

iain wrote:I will be shocked if Paula is not on that start line.
I won't be, it's not as if she is in with a medal chance anyway.
Kermit

Postby SteveK26 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:40 am

Ursus
Missed it completely! :oops: :oops:
I didn't realise Merv was undergoing problems as well. That wont help his cause much!

Kermit
If Paula does show up, has she no chance of a sub 2-20 do you think? It would be one of my greatest Olympic wishes to see her finally get on the podium.
SteveK26

Postby Kermit » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am

SteveK26 wrote:Ursus
Missed it completely! :oops: :oops:
I didn't realise Merv was undergoing problems as well. That wont help his cause much!

Kermit
If Paula does show up, has she no chance of a sub 2-20 do you think? It would be one of my greatest Olympic wishes to see her finally get on the podium.

That's a very big IF Steve as for a medal - no chance.
Kermit

Postby iain » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:28 am

TBH, these 50-50 quotes have been twisted completely. What CVC actually said was she'd been like this for the last x years. I expect Paula to line up for the race, but a medal - no way. Though if There was a choice between Paula getting a medal and no-one else winning one, and winning 10 medals, I would deffo choose Paula.
iain

Postby kermit_the_frog » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:57 am

iain wrote:TBH, these 50-50 quotes have been twisted completely. What CVC actually said was she'd been like this for the last x years. I expect Paula to line up for the race, but a medal - no way. Though if There was a choice between Paula getting a medal and no-one else winning one, and winning 10 medals, I would deffo choose Paula.

Iain, I thought I was the only sentimental lunatic who thought like that! Though it would have to be a gold, obviously...
kermit_the_frog

Next

Return to Current events (Legacy Only)