Athletics Weekly

Olympic Stadium seating plan

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: Olympic Stadium seating plan

Postby larkim » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:24 am

Those panels were the led display lights used in the opening ceremony, and presumably also for the closing.

Matt
larkim

Postby ezz100 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:13 am

I have tickets for Sunday 5th . Block 246 row 55 and they are band C £295 each.

So looking forward to it but I do feel ripped off and when I look at the packed stadium it strikes me there are a lot of wealthy people out there !!!

Got them in the 2nd round and cheaper tickets had all gone.
I have suspicions we will be sitting next to people with a whole range of ticket prices as there seems a distinct lack of a system!
ezz100

Postby Rapunzel1975 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:46 pm

johndoeolympics wrote:I've noticed that the seats (best ones probably) next to the 100m stretch of the Olympic Stadium have black panels with cords going out of them. Do you know what those are for? Voting? Food Service? (The prime minister was sitting in that section).

They are on all seats. They were used during the opening ceremony to make various light effects, and presumably will be used in the closing one too.

I was at both sessions yesterday and although I was a bit miffed that my expensive tickets didn't get me anywhere near the 100m straight, I still got very good views and the atmosphere was absolutely amazing. Thoroughly enjoyed my day and looking forward to watching the rest of the action on TV this week.
Rapunzel1975

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:39 pm

Well I'm back from a short break including a day in London at the Olympics. Some of you know I was disappointed to find my seat was front row near the 200m start but I was even more disappointed when I got there. There was so much equipment, scoreboards, officials I couldn't even see much of the shot which was some 20 yards away! The discus circle was obviously at the other end of the stadium but I couln't even see large parts of the landing area because of a large scoreboard for the shot. Before the heats of the women's 100H my daughter asked where are the hurdles? I watched most of the action on the screen!

For the two of us I paid £190 for category B seats plus travel and extras. Apart from being able to say I went to the Olympics there was very little I enjoyed about my session in the Olympic Stadium. Much has been said about about the way tickets were sold but when you have no idea where you are going to sit and no way of changing it I am sure many other athletics fans would also have felt short changed if they sat where I did.

Just to add we went to Wembly in the evening for a women's football match between Japan and France. It was one of the most enjoyable games I've been to with Japan winning 2-1 having defended for their life in the last 20mins. We sat with the Japanese and started chanting Nipon, Nipon! They were great and I could see the whole pitch!
Geoff

Postby trickstat » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:43 am

I can't add anything regarding the disappointing lack of seating plans/information given out when the tickets went on sale, but having spoken to others who've attended many recent Olympics I can shed some light regarding prices. Apparently, it is IOC policy that the prices of all tickets nearer to the arena are higher than for those further away. This applies regardless of what part of the track you are nearest to. As a result of this some people with tickets for the second cheapest category would have had seats at the front of the upper tier in the home straight practically on the finish line, which in my view are probably the best seats available to the public in the stadium. For track events at least that is, I think the best seats for specific field events would vary from event to event.
trickstat

Postby LesterMeisel » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 am

Flumpy wrote:It's clear that 'they' (Whoever they may be) purposefully hid any seating plan before tickets were sold so that that those buying the most expensive tickets would have no idea just how crappy they were.

Front row of the 200m start is just about the worst place anyone can sit at an athletics meeting and yet it seems that this area make sup some of the most expensive seats. This is quite obviously outrageous when no one had the chance to decide if this is where they preferred to watch the action from.

A simply stadium map at the beginning of the process with colour coding to indicate what tickets you were buying is all that I'm suggesting. It happens at every sporting event of music concert around the world but didn't in this case and we can only assume that's because there would have been a giant outcry when people saw what a rip off the whole process was.

Any body buying top price tickets would have expected for them to be on the finishing straight and they are not which in itself if disgraceful.

Tickets are buying a lot of indication but do not have to do anything. So quiet tickets come out.
LesterMeisel

Previous

Return to Current events