Athletics Weekly

Who should light the Olympic flame?

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: Who should light the Olympic flame?

Postby BigGut » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:07 am

The Olympic motto is faster, higher, stronger. Would Sir Steve like to tell us which of his 5 greater than Daley Olympians did all 3 of those?. His argument is plain idiotic. Yes he won 5 medals at 5 games but that simply isn't possible in many events where the requirements of the event and the ferocity of competition is such that your window of peak performance is too small. Daley may have won 3 golds if it wasn't for his pole breaking, in an event that relies on speed for so many disciplines and where the training is very likely to cause injury that in itself is phenomenal.
BigGut

Postby jeremy1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:19 am

Neither Redgrave nor Thompson will be lighting the Olympic Flame.

These endless posts don't matter a tuppenny damn ; the comparisons between athletes is mostly odious nonsense. Both the men are typical great athletes being self obsessed, talented and ruthless.
jeremy1

Postby Mr Me » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:07 am

Strange comments from Steve Redgrave, especially putting Ben Ainslie above Daley. I prefer the all rounders in fairness, you see the effort they go to for one medal in the decathlon/ heptathlon, its a medal thats earned like no other.

Also there were other blokes in the boat with Steve that contributed to the victory and were a bit younger than him by 2000, Daley had to rely on his body and his only. Its not like steve won the 100m sprint at 5 consecutive olympics so I think he should pipe down a bit. I know we shouldn't compare sports or achievements , but its fun.
Mr Me

Postby Laps » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:34 am

BigGut wrote:The Olympic motto is faster, higher, stronger. Would Sir Steve like to tell us which of his 5 greater than Daley Olympians did all 3 of those?. His argument is plain idiotic. Yes he won 5 medals at 5 games but that simply isn't possible in many events where the requirements of the event and the ferocity of competition is such that your window of peak performance is too small. Daley may have won 3 golds if it wasn't for his pole breaking, in an event that relies on speed for so many disciplines and where the training is very likely to cause injury that in itself is phenomenal.

Personally I would be happy with any of the great Olympians lighting the flame, be it Redgrave (my choice), Daley Thompson, Ainslie, Hoy..... Wiggins should be tucked up in bed miles away from the Olympic Stadium when the flame is lit. Coe would be hogging the limelight if he got involved.

Redgrave's point about Daley Thompson comes down to the fact that he was neither faster, higher or stronger than many of the competitors at the Olympics in which he competed. Daley was a truly great all-rounder. They were both a colossus of their sport for many years. Why it is necessary to belittle the achievements of any of them on the way to expressing your own preference I don't understand.
Laps

Postby ultragirl » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 am

Steve Redgrave sounds like an ignorant, bitter and envious man, the fact is all athletes respect the Decathlete above all other eventers because they know a little of what it takes to become as good as Daley, and as someone has stated he did it all by him self on each and every one of the ten events, I reckon if all sportsmen from all sports voted on this the Decathlon would be the winner, every time.
ultragirl

Postby Geoff » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 am

I know it's not possible (is it?) but if you want to seize the moment and capture the current enthusiasm for our first Tour de France winner it has to be Bradley Wiggins. Everyone is saying he's riding the next day so impossible for him to do it but what a surprise if he actually did! I can't think of anyone who would say he's not the perfect person at this particular moment to light the Olympic cauldron.
Geoff

Postby jjimbojames » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 am

ultragirl wrote:Steve Redgrave sounds like an ignorant, bitter and envious man, the fact is all athletes respect the Decathlete above all other eventers because they know a little of what it takes to become as good as Daley, and as someone has stated he did it all by him self on each and every one of the ten events, I reckon if all sportsmen from all sports voted on this the Decathlon would be the winner, every time.

I'm not so sure. All athletes, yes - but probably a number of sportsmen/women would disagree. For one - as Steve has already alluded - there is the notion that being a multi-eventer is for those that aren't good enough to do one event (despite the fact that you have to be close to world class in a number of events, only a handful could compete in one of the individual events and be competitive) and secondly, as people will have (usually their own) sport-tinted glasses on

For example, cyclists will think the TdF is the most gruelling event, so you have to be in the best physical condition - whilst others would say it's a team event and therefore you get 'lifted' by others when weary etc

Sailing is often elevated due to overcoming whatever nature throws at you etc

Personally - I know how hard (and rewarding!) combined events can be - but I'm pretty sure a lot of professional or otherwise sports people from ALL sports would disagree
jjimbojames

Postby BigGut » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 am

Laps wrote:Redgrave's point about Daley Thompson comes down to the fact that he was neither faster, higher or stronger than many of the competitors at the Olympics in which he competed. Daley was a truly great all-rounder. They were both a colossus of their sport for many years. Why it is necessary to belittle the achievements of any of them on the way to expressing your own preference I don't understand.

Laps,

My point is that Daley had to do all three in his event in order to win. None of Steve Redgrave's other choices to put above Daley did that, they did faster or stronger, but not higher as well. I am in no way belittling his achievements, I am merely pointing out that a decathlete has to personify the olympic motto in order to be the best.
BigGut

Postby Laps » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 am

ultragirl wrote:Steve Redgrave sounds like an ignorant, bitter and envious man, the fact is all athletes respect the Decathlete above all other eventers because they know a little of what it takes to become as good as Daley, and as someone has stated he did it all by him self on each and every one of the ten events, I reckon if all sportsmen from all sports voted on this the Decathlon would be the winner, every time.

I very much admire the great multi-eventers but my guess is that if all sportsmen from all sports voted on this the decathlon would be lucky to get in the top 100. You don't seem to realise that Athletics barely registers with vast hordes of sportsmen and fans who play and follow football, cricket, rugby, F1, tennis and dozens of other sports. To them Athletics briefly becomes of interest at the Olympics then disappears for four years.
Laps

Postby Laps » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:16 am

Geoff wrote:I know it's not possible (is it?) but if you want to seize the moment and capture the current enthusiasm for our first Tour de France winner it has to be Bradley Wiggins. Everyone is saying he's riding the next day so impossible for him to do it but what a surprise if he actually did! I can't think of anyone who would say he's not the perfect person at this particular moment to light the Olympic cauldron.

It should absolutely not be possible. Wiggins would be letting Cavendish and the team down badly and would be seen as compromising our chances of winning the road race, which is of course the big opener for Team GB.

If that was not enough there is history. Wiggins lost focus after winning the individual and team pursuit golds in Beijing and let Cavendish down badly in the Madison, in which they were the favourites. It was Cavendish's only event and he came away from Beijing as the only star of the Cycling team that didn't win a gold medal. It took Cavendish a long time to forgive Wiggins.

You would think that they have a recuperation plan in place which includes getting completely away from the Olympic circus for the next five days.
Laps

Postby fchd » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:11 pm

There are six living British Olympians with 3 or more gold medals

Ben Ainslie
Chris Hoy
Richard Meade
Matthew Pinsent
Steve Redgrave
Bradley Wiggins

I'd like to see these six as the final 6 torchbearers
fchd

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Geoff wrote:I can't think of anyone who would say he's not the perfect person at this particular moment to light the Olympic cauldron.

I would.

What's winning the TDF got to do with the Olympics??? :?
Flumpy

Postby jeremy1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Laps wrote:

I very much admire the great multi-eventers but my guess is that if all sportsmen from all sports voted on this the decathlon would be lucky to get in the top 100. You don't seem to realise that Athletics barely registers with vast hordes of sportsmen and fans who play and follow football, cricket, rugby, F1, tennis and dozens of other sports. To them Athletics briefly becomes of interest at the Olympics then disappears for four years.

Much as it pains one to hear it the fact of is that Laps is correct in his last para as far as sports fans are concerned; however the OG represents great sports and not obsessive money making entertainment which ruins most of the Team Games, which satifies the egos of the money men and the greed of some of the participants;

Give me the pleasure of watching grace and athleticism in Gymnastics, the skill of sailors, our great sport of athletics and the dedication of cyclists, swimmers anfd rowers.
jeremy1

Postby Geoff » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Flumpy wrote:
Geoff wrote:I can't think of anyone who would say he's not the perfect person at this particular moment to light the Olympic cauldron.

I would.

What's winning the TDF got to do with the Olympics??? :?

It's never going to happen but cycling is an Olympic sport, Wiggins is an Olympic gold medallist and competing in London plus it's a very welcome and timely feel good factor prior to the Games.

Personally, if it is one person I would pick Daley Thompson or Roger Bannister or Kelly Holmes but that could be too predictable. I'm not keen on Steve Redgrave. We hear about the wow factor so if it is one of them the way the cauldron is lit has to be spectatcular. If the wow factor is the athlete it has to be a massive shock and surprise and someone the whole world has heard of. Of course, we may get both!

We'll find out on Friday, possibly through Twitter :)
Geoff

Postby ultragirl » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:03 pm

As someone has already pointed out, Redgrave needed an equally talented partner to win his medals, Daley did it all on his own in all 10 events.
ultragirl

Postby 3a » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:08 pm

I suggest, Nigel Havers running in to Vangelis, Chariots of Fire! :oops:

Coe & Ovett in a sprint finish, who ever gets there first lights the torch. :P

Tanni Grey Thompson wheels in then stands up to light the torch. :shock:

Jess Ennis as a representation of modern Britain, an all around athlete... 8)

Or Roger Bannister, the legend, oldie, goodie.....pick him! :D
3a

Postby ultragirl » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Daley and Jessica what a great pair 8) 8)
ultragirl

Postby Geoff » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 am

Perhaps we should remember that this show is being directed by Danny Boyle and a team comprising some of the best artistic and film experts in the world so we should expect something amazing. It could be full of special effects, cgi and fantasic light shows designed primarily for a TV/film audience. It should be superb.

I was reminded last night of an old illusion called Pepper's Ghost which was used to create the appearance of ghosts during the Victorian age. All done with 'smoke and mirrors' but even back then looked very real. It has been brought up to date in recent years with computers and used by many entertainers and even Prince Charles! The Black Eyed Peas performed a concert where only two were real and the others a form of 'hologram.' A rap concert brought a rapper back from the dead to perform without telling the audience and you can imagine the reaction! All looked so lifelike and the 'holograms' can be programmed to do anything.

You could, therefore, have Roger Bannister lighting the cauldron but looking like he did in the 50's. You could have Jesse Owens or Emile Zatopek. You could have Jessica Ennis even though she will be with the rest of the team in Portugal! You could have a mix of real and virtual people!

The people putting this show on are the best intheir field so expect something different with a big WOW factor.

Finally, I wonder if Phillips will appear in the opening ceremony?
Geoff

Postby Laps » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:58 am

In that case I fancy a holographic Phillips to win gold. Problem solved.
Laps

Postby MBChristie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:42 pm

A holographic image of Pierre de Coubertin gets my vote then. The illusion of him carrying it would be by attaching "invisible" wires to the torch.
MBChristie

Postby fangio » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Could be wrong but since he is showcasing British Music through the ages as part of the ceremony my guess is we will see an holographic Lennon and Harrison.
fangio

Postby ultragirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:54 am

I am sticking with Daley Thompson and his big german counterpart :P
ultragirl

Postby merito » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:21 am

Jim Fox?

An all round sportsman, gold medallist and, given is current battle, he gets my vote.
merito

Postby Rapunzel1975 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:05 am

Due to rumours of a non-sportman lighting the flame with a special lighting system, I'm going to throw my curve-ball out there and say that 'Her Madge' should do it. No-one would be expecting that one!!
Rapunzel1975

Postby paul » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:35 am

Madonna!!!? :shock:
paul

Postby Rapunzel1975 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:39 pm

paul wrote:Madonna!!!? :shock:

:D :D 'HM Queen Elizabeth II'!!
Rapunzel1975

Postby ultragirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Tony Blair...as the flaming torch :lol:
ultragirl

Postby kingmaker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 pm

How about and this is just a thought, no sportsperson at all and we give it to one of the dignified survivors of 7/7 :roll:
kingmaker

Postby ultragirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 pm

:roll:
ultragirl

Postby Ursus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:03 am

Anyone But Beckham.

Muhammed Ali is in town. Very very sad to see the state of him, but I hope it's not him either. Whoever it is should be British.

With a gold medal, and 6 consecutive appearances Tessa Sanderson embodies both acheivement and taking part. How about her and Fatima? Coe's obviously out of the running, but him and Ovett might have been interesting.

Assuming Wiggins is ruled out, then I'm favouring the Redmonds idea, albeit I suspect that it may be a bit more complex than just an individual or two lighting it.

Apparently the rehearsals for the opening ceremony have met with universal acclaim.
Ursus

PreviousNext

Return to Current events