Athletics Weekly

Who should light the Olympic flame?

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Who Should Light Olympic Flame ?

Postby mump boy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 pm

I've just read this article and it's got me thinking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/eleanoroldro ... on_20.html

While i would obviously love a track athlete to light the flame i can't see past Steve Redgrave but i would LOVE is Dorothy Odem Tyler :D
mump boy

Re: Who Should Light Olympic Flame ?

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:21 pm

That is exactly what I was going to say. Dorothy Tyler would be my first choice as well.

I'll happily go along with Redgrave though as long as they have a torch relay around the stadium of Dorothy Tyler to Dorothy Hyman to Mary Rand to Ann Packer to Mary Peters.

As long as they do that and Chas and Dave perform I'll be happy.
Flumpy

Postby usedtoit33 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Beckham would be a travesty.

You're right, it's hard to see past Sir Steve in terms of sporting success. He'd probably head the list. Dame Kelly Holmes would be good too.

I don't think it's probably fair on a competing athlete to expect them to do it. Too many nerves and distractions from competing.

I can't really think of anyone else who'd particularly be in the running.

And I'll definitely vote for the relay around the stadium featuring those legends! :D
usedtoit33

Postby sidelined » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:27 pm

The torch should come into the stadium carried by the oldest surviving Olympian (who can walk), be passed though the hands of a few Olympic greats, and the flame should be lit by the youngest Olympian on the GB team, who will probably be a 16-year-old gymnast. That way you get a nod to the past, and a nod to the much-trumpeted legacy at the same time.
sidelined

Postby mump boy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:53 pm

I'll go with that but the oldest competitor doesn't need to walk they can be wheeled by another golden oldie like Betty Cuthbert was in 2000 in the best Olympic torch relay of all time

Betty Cuthbert and Raelene Boyle, Dawn Fraser, Shirley Strickland, Shane Gould and Debbie Flintoff-King Cathy Freeman.

I well up even thinking about it :cry: :)

But where was Marjory Jackson ?? She's governor or queensland or something so i'm sure she was involved somewhere, i think she carried the flag actually
mump boy

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:09 am

It's going to be Redgrave - guaranteed.
Dorothy Odam Tyler would also be a good call but how about one from left field?
Ben Helfgott survived Buchenwald concentration camp before emigrating to Britain and competing for GB in weightlifting at the Melbourne Olympics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Helfgott
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby mump boy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 am

he can't do it he's a 'plastic brit' :P
mump boy

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 am

mump boy wrote:I'll go with that but the oldest competitor doesn't need to walk they can be wheeled by another golden oldie like Betty Cuthbert was in 2000 in the best Olympic torch relay of all time

Betty Cuthbert and Raelene Boyle, Dawn Fraser, Shirley Strickland, Shane Gould and Debbie Flintoff-King Cathy Freeman.

I well up even thinking about it :cry: :)

But where was Marjory Jackson ?? She's governor or queensland or something so i'm sure she was involved somewhere, i think she carried the flag actually

You have a perfect memory. :D She was one of those that carried the Olympic flag into the stadium.
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby mump boy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:28 am

I've just watched that video and cried a bit :? show me loads of starving kids and i'm kind of impassive but a bunch of old women running (or being pushed) round a track and i'm in pieces !!

if 2012 does it half as good as this i will be very happy :D

(they won't :( )
mump boy

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:34 am

mump boy wrote:I've just watched that video and cried a bit :? show me loads of starving kids and i'm kind of impassive but a bunch of old women running (or being pushed) round a track and i'm in pieces !!

I'm more worried about the closing ceremony.
Imagine this:
The Olympic flame starts spluttering and as it goes out we hear the first chords of Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset.
I'd be in bits for a month.
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby mump boy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:39 am

Guto Nyth Bran wrote:
mump boy wrote:I've just watched that video and cried a bit :? show me loads of starving kids and i'm kind of impassive but a bunch of old women running (or being pushed) round a track and i'm in pieces !!

I'm more worried about the closing ceremony.
Imagine this:
The Olympic flame starts spluttering and as it goes out we hear the first chords of Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset.
I'd be in bits for a month.

i have tickets for closing ceremony :D but as long as Dorothy Hyman or McDonald Bailey aren't involved i think i'll be alright :? :?
mump boy

Postby flashcoach » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:26 am

I think I should light the Olympic Flame, it is the only way I could ever get down to London and into the stadium for free :lol: :lol: :lol:
flashcoach

Postby Mr Halibut » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:36 am

I personally agree with this guy :)
Mr Halibut

Postby d pickup » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:21 pm

In the Athletics stadium (well until FB claws it away) so track and field athletes should feature. The final athlete: Bannister, even if he walks that final 20 meters / yards, or uses the rail for the final 20 steps.
d pickup

Postby mump boy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:44 pm

d pickup wrote:In the Athletics stadium (well until FB claws it away) so track and field athletes should feature. The final athlete: Bannister, even if he walks that final 20 meters / yards, or uses the rail for the final 20 steps.

Bannister has NOTHING to so with the Olympic Games. it would be an insult to great Olympians if he got to light the flame because of some arbitrary barrier that he broke. He should deffo be involved and i would love him to carry it into the stadium but actually lighting the flame has to go to someone more appropriate
mump boy

Postby d pickup » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:03 pm

mump boy wrote:
d pickup wrote:In the Athletics stadium (well until FB claws it away) so track and field athletes should feature. The final athlete: Bannister, even if he walks that final 20 meters / yards, or uses the rail for the final 20 steps.

Bannister has NOTHING to so with the Olympic Games. it would be an insult to great Olympians if he got to light the flame because of some arbitrary barrier that he broke. He should deffo be involved and i would love him to carry it into the stadium but actually lighting the flame has to go to someone more appropriate

mump boy
'NOTHING'!
'48 'selected as an Olympic "possible", but declined as he felt he was not ready to compete at that level.'
'52 '[4th] [1500] ... set a British record of 3:46.30 (3:46.0) in the process'

'arbitrary': yes, I agree, but arbitrary enough that still, 34 years on from imperial records getting the IAAF chop, the 1ml is still there and features on the International circuit again and again. The world knows about the mile, the world knows about Bannister's historical 6pm 6 may 1954 feat.

'deffo be involved': glad you and I agree about that.

'someone more appropriate': so after the 14 inputs to this topic are you staying with Dorothy Odem Tyler, b.14mar1920? good one, 92! (PS WR HJ W 90 0.82m Olga Kotelko, CAN, 02.03.19, 01.08.09)

Curiousity: what's (wrong?) with Dorothy Hyman or McDonald Bailey (see your entry Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:39 am)?
d pickup

Postby 1937 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Ben Helfgott, known personally to me , was no plastic anything; he did not grow up in another society, and was one of the "boys" which you may or may not be familiar with ; to compare Ben who gave much to the Brits who took him in and gave him his opportunity, coached him and looked after him, with the bunch of opportunists, masqerading as Brits, is risible.

Postby trickstat » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:54 pm

d pickup - McDonald Bailey born 12 August 1920 will be very nearly 92.
trickstat

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:20 am

mump boy wrote:But where was Marjory Jackson ?? She's governor or queensland or something so i'm sure she was involved somewhere, i think she carried the flag actually

She carried the flag in with some others I can't remember. The whole thing was AMAZING!!! I cried from beginning to end.

Everyone raved about the Beijing opening ceremony which left me completely cold. Sydney was the greatest opening ceremony of all time (Closely followed by Manchester Commonwealths 2002 when the whole stadium turned into the Hacienda!!! :D )
Flumpy

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 am

A long as Dorothy Tyler, Chas and Dave and Adele singing this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9Fzwuf43c

as she walks across the stadium which magically turns in to all London's greatest landmarks I'll be happy. If Vancouver can turn the stadium into the sea and have whales jumping out of it I'm sure we can manage Big Ben and St Pauls.

Are you listening Seb???
Flumpy

Postby flashcoach » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:44 am

The flame should be lit by a Yorkshire man/woman as these represent the best of everything in G.B 8) 8) 8) :D
flashcoach

Postby d pickup » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:31 am

trickstat wrote:d pickup - McDonald Bailey born 12 August 1920 will be very nearly 92.

trickstat
Yes McDonald Bailey will be 92. Perhaps he is in as fine a fettle as the Duke of Edinburgh (b.10jun1921) - who'll be there I am sure for the torch lighting, even if not carrying the torch.

mump boy mentioned in the same breath Dorothy Hyman b.41 ie 71 for OLY '12 - from Cudworth Yorkshire, which will please flashcoach.

flashcoachYorkshire people: my personal reflection is that we hear more from Yorkshire people, than from any other county, about how proud they are to be from Yorkshire. Good for them, but why so much of that sort of talk? Covering up some other feeling ... I know it use to be England's biggest county and then was split into 3 parts - ouch. I'm happy to say I was originally from Middlesex and see what happened to that - disappeared from the face of the map in 1965, though some groups still cling on eg Middlesex County Cricket Club.
d pickup

Postby flashcoach » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:44 am

Eeeee by gum tha cant menchun things like that, as we all know and have come to accept Yorkshire is Gods country, the place where best fish n chips are to be found.
flashcoach

Postby d pickup » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:05 am

flashcoach wrote:Eeeee by gum tha cant menchun things like that, as we all know and have come to accept Yorkshire is Gods country, the place where best fish n chips are to be found.

flashcoach
Fish & chips, Yorkshire! Sorry: S Shields T&W, leads that league.
d pickup

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:08 am

Under normal circumstances Seb Coe would have had a good shot at it....but of course not possible because of his close involvement.
Has to be Redgrave....possibly with Pinsent handing him the torch?
SteveK26

Postby flashcoach » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 am

Kelly holmes double gold medalist has to be in with a shout.

best fish n chips in the world are to be found in Whitby Yorkshire and thats official. :lol:
flashcoach

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:16 am

Undoubtedly the great Kelly has a shout....can't believe I forgot to mention her! :oops:
SteveK26

Postby flashcoach » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:57 pm

They could do a 8 x 50m relay on the last leg passing the flame from Kelly Holmes, to Steve Redgrave to Daley Thompson to tanni grey, steve backley, Crammie, two more please anyone?
flashcoach

Postby usedtoit33 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Jonathan Edwards and Mary Peters for the 8x50m relay? I'd love Cram to be in there, although he doesn't have an Olympic gold medal, and neither does Backley ... ;) What about Sally Gunnell, Tessa Sanderson, Kathy Cook, Duncan Goodhew, Adrian Moorhouse, Mark Foster, Beth Tweddle, Liz McColgan? If someone from football has to be involved could it be Sir Bobby Charlton or Kenny Dalglish?
usedtoit33

Postby d pickup » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:22 pm

flashcoach wrote:They could do a 8 x 50m relay on the last leg passing the flame from Kelly Holmes, to Steve Redgrave to Daley Thompson to tanni grey, steve backley, Crammie, two more please anyone?

flashcoach
I know that Seb Coe left his mark in the Champs arena and on the WR lists but I have more exciting feelings about Steve Ovett, and I don't think I am alone having that feeling, and he won the OLY '80 800 so I'd be very happy to include him.

Can't think of another off the top of my head right now ... do they have to have OLY gold - for instance Muhummad Ali did win an OLY gold but his fame rest on his subsequent activity & wit and it was for this latter activity and not the OLY gold that he did the torch carrying, so I also offer Chris Chataway, b.31january1931 - his White City 5000m WR win over Vladimir Kuts on 13 oct 1954 has gone down as one of the great athletic feats of the century - and he's still running - semi-slow marathons into his 80s.
d pickup

Next

Return to Current events